IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Avinash

Source of eko ha vai narayana?

Rate this topic

I saw "eko ha vai narayana..." being quoted a few places in this board.

From where has this verse been taken? If it is from an upanishad, then what is the name of that upanishad and which shloka (number) in that upanishad?

Both Sri Ramanuja and Sri Madhva have quoted it in their Bhashyas. It is taken from a 'Mahopanishad'.

However, the current version of the Mahopanishad is not regarded as completely authentic (barring two or more slokas quoted by ancient Vedantins), due to which this Upanishad has been discounted. Needless to say, only those parts quoted by Sri Ramanuja and Sri Madhva have been accepted. Considering the amount of damage the Mahopanishad has suffered, Vedantins rely on the quotes of the two vaishnava acharyas and on the canonical Upanishads.

Similarly, there is a Narasimha Tapani Upanishad that finds reference in the works of Sankara, Madhva, etc. Once again, the mordern version may not be in pristine form.

Is there a single upanishad called Mahopanishad or is there a class of upanishads called Mahopanishad?

Only one, I believe.

Did Sri Ramanuja and Sri Madhava quote "eko ha vai narayana ..." shloka?

Yep.

I can provide you Sri Ramanuja's quotes from his Vedanta Sangraha Bhashya, when he is elaborating on who is Brahman, in proper sequence. He proceeds as such:

Reference 1. Taittariya Upanishad's 'yato vA imAni' shows that Brahman is the cause of creation, sustenance and destruction of this world.

Reference 2. 'brahma eva idamagra AsIt.h' indicates that only Brahman existed in the beginning (by which it should be understood that words such as 'sat' in 'sadeva soumya idamagra AsIt.h).

Reference 3. Similarly the word 'Atma' in 'Atma eva idamagra Asit.h' indicates the same being depicted by words 'Brahman' and 'sat.h'.

Reference 4. By the shruti 'eko ha vai nArAyaNa AsInna brahma na IshAno', we should understand that words such as 'Atma', 'Brahma', 'sat' refer to Lord Narayana only.

If you want to see the actual bhashya in sanskrit, go to http://homepage3.nifty.com/ajunamar/e-texts/skt/vas_txt.html.

And see Para (96) - eko ha vai nArAyaNa AsIn na brahma na+IZAno na+ime dyAva-pRthivI na nakSatrANi+iti sad-brahma-Atma-Adi-parama-kAraNa-vAdibhiH Zabdair nArAyaNa eva+abhidhIyata iti niZcIyate.

Sri Madhva has also definitely mentioned this quote. For the exact location, ask the Dvaitins.

Similarly, there is a Narasimha Tapani Upanishad that finds reference in the works of Sankara, Madhva, etc. Once again, the mordern version may not be in pristine form.

Do you know where Shankara quotes this upanishad? I have never seen him quote outside the "top 10" which he has also commented on.

But of course, I may have missed this one.

Cheers

Namaste Avinash.

I've found an online translation of the Maha Upanishad (which if I am not mistaken is just a spelling variation of Mahopanishad, yes?), in which the opening first four verses state

I-1-4. Then we shall expound the Mahopanishad. They say Narayana was alone. There were not Brahma, Shiva, Waters, Fire and Soma, Heaven and Earth, Stars, Sun and Moon. He could not be happy.