IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
moonflower

harinam shawl and tilak ( ? ) - what are they used for ?

Rate this topic

Hi / hare Krishna ( is that right ? ) everyone!

This is my first post and I hope ill be forgiven for starting with a question.

Im of mixed heritage ( hungarian, roma, irish, scots and jewish ! :) ) and ive been interested in Hare Krishna and hinduism for a couple of years.

I had a friend who became a hindu then a hare krishna ( apologies if im using all the wrong words here). I gave her some old pashminas and headscarves and some sari type material which she donated ( without my knowing ) to her temple.

In return i was given some things but I have no idea what to do with them so I was wondering if any one could help me understand what they are used for ?

-I was given some beads in a bag which i think are used for chanting? ive seen budhists with them and some hare krishnas with them round their neck. I think you chant hare krishna on them? how is this done ?

the other thing i got was some kind of wrap / pashmina type thing with sanskrit ( ? ) writing all over it and some pictures I think of krishna ? i looked on the internet and similar items were called '' harinam chadars'' (???? )

does anyone know what this is for ? I would love to wear it out but i dont want to offend anyone if the writing is sacred or if its not supposed to be worn ? etc

the last thing i have is something my friend gave me. Its a bright red powder. My friend says its used to make a bindi on your head ( ? ) i would love to use it as I wear bindis anyway but again - i dont want to offend any one.

does anyone know what i do with it ? or when i should wear it ?

Im sorry for all my questions , I am gratefull for any help or advice you can give me.

hare krishna ( is this right ? )

Hi / hare Krishna ( is that right ? ) everyone!

Hare Krishna moonflower. Yes that is more than right, it is perfect.

This is my first post and I hope ill be forgiven for starting with a question.

No need to be forgiven. Asking questions and receiving answers is the correct process for cultivating spiritual knowledge.

Im of mixed heritage ( hungarian, roma, irish, scots and jewish ! :) ) and ive been interested in Hare Krishna and hinduism for a couple of years.

Bodily I am Scot Irish American Indian Jewish German and who knows what else. But the truth is beyond these bodies we are all spiritsoul and there is nothing more natural forn the soul than to be interested in Krishna.

I had a friend who became a hindu then a hare krishna ( apologies if im using all the wrong words here). I gave her some old pashminas and headscarves and some sari type material which she donated ( without my knowing ) to her temple.

Hinduism is different thing although on the surface they look similar.She became a Hare Krishna expresses it much more clear.

In return i was given some things but I have no idea what to do with them so I was wondering if any one could help me understand what they are used for ?

-I was given some beads in a bag which i think are used for chanting? ive seen budhists with them and some hare krishnas with them round their neck. I think you chant hare krishna on them? how is this done ?

The beads in the bag and the ones around the neck are different. The ones in the bag you hold between your fingers. e finger each bead individually while repeating th chant or mantra "Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare". Then we move on to the next bead and repeat the mantra again.

There are 108 beads on the string in the bag and one large bead which we call the Krishna bead, it represents Krishna for us. When we have repeated chanting on 108 beads we will find ourselves at the Krishna bead having chanted on all the beads on the string one time. That is called chanting one 'round.'Then we reverse direction and chant 108 more times until we come to the Krishna bead again (2 rounds) and then again reverse direction.

It takes a little time to get used to but is really very simple. The first thing is to repeat and memorize the Hare Krishna mantra itself (in bold above).

the other thing i got was some kind of wrap / pashmina type thing with sanskrit ( ? ) writing all over it and some pictures I think of krishna ? i looked on the internet and similar items were called '' harinam chadars'' (???? )

does anyone know what this is for ? I would love to wear it out but i dont want to offend anyone if the writing is sacred or if its not supposed to be worn ? etc

The sanskrit is the most probably the Hare Krishna mantra in sanskrit. It is supposed to be worn. Devotees like to wrap themselves in the names of God both internally and externally.

the last thing i have is something my friend gave me. Its a bright red powder. My friend says its used to make a bindi on your head ( ? ) i would love to use it as I wear bindis anyway but again - i dont want to offend any one.

does anyone know what i do with it ? or when i should wear it ?

Im sorry for all my questions , I am gratefull for any help or advice you can give me.

hare krishna ( is this right ? )

I can't help you with the bindi, I'm just a guy and what do I know about bindi.:P But one of the ladies here should know. Ladies...

You have a very respectful attitude moonflower but you can relax. You have made no offense at all...quite the contrary.

Hare Krishna

Nicely explained theist prabhu, here is more

<CENTER>Chanting Hare Krishna explained byHis Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada</CENTER>

<CENTER>Listen to Prabhupada's explanation & kirtan below</CENTER><CENTER></CENTER>

The transcendental vibration established by the chanting of Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare is the sublime method of reviving our Krsna consciousness.

As living spiritual souls we are all originally Krsna conscious entities, but due to our association with matter from time immemorial, our consciousness is now polluted by the material atmosphere.

The material atmosphere, in which we are now living, is called Maya, or illusion. Maya means "that which is not." And what is this illusion? The illusion is that we are all trying to be lords of material nature, while actually we are under the grip of her stringent laws.

When a servant artificially tries to imitate the all-powerful master, this is called illusion. In this polluted concept of life, we are all trying to exploit the resources of material nature, but actually we are becoming more and more entangled in her complexities. T

herefore, although we are engaged in a hard struggle to conquer nature, we are ever more dependent on her. This illusory struggle against material nature can be stopped at once by the revival of our Krsna consciousness.

Krsna consciousness is not an artificial imposition of the mind; this consciousness is the original energy of the living entity. When we hear the transcendental vibration, this consciousness is revived. And this is the process recommended for this age by authorities.

By practical experience also, one can perceive that by chanting this maha-mantra or the Great Chanting for Deliverance, one can at once feel a transcendental ecstasy coming through from the spiritual stratum. And when one is factually on the plane of spiritual understanding-surpassing the stages of the senses, mind, and intelligence-one is situated on the transcendental plane.

This chanting of Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare is directly enacted from the spiritual platform, and thus this sound vibration surpasses all lower strata of consciousness-namely sensual, mental, and intellectual.

There is no need, therefore, to understand the language of the mantra, nor is there any need for mental speculation or any intellectual adjustment for chanting this maha-mantra.

It springs automatically from the spiritual platform, and as such, anyone can take part in the chanting without any previous qualification, and dance in ecstasy.

We have seen this practically. Even a child can take part in the chanting, or even a dog can take part in it.

Of course, for one who is too entangled in material life, it takes a little more time to come to the standard point, but even such a materially engrossed man or women is raised to the spiritual platform very quickly.

When the mantra is chanted by a pure devotee of the Lord in love, it has the greatest efficacy on the hearers, and as such, this chanting should be heard from the lips of a pure devotee of the Lord, so that immediate effects can be achieved. As far as possible, chanting from the lips of non-devotees should be avoided. Milk touched by the lips of a serpent has poisonous effects.

The word Hara is the form of addressing the energy of the Lord, and the words Krsna and Rama are addressing the Lord Himself. Both Krsna and Rama mean "the supreme pleasure" and Hara is the supreme pleasure energy of the Lord, changed to hare in the vocative. The supreme pleasure energy of the Lord helps us to reach the Lord.

The material energy, called Maya, is also one of the multi energies of the Lord. And we, the living entities, are also the energy-marginal energy-of the Lord. The living entities are described as superior to material energy.

When the superior energy is in contact with the inferior energy, an incompatible situation arises; but when the superior marginal energy is in contact with the superior energy, called Hara, the living entity is established in his happy, normal condition.

These three words, namely Hare, Krsna, and Rama, are transcendental seeds of the maha-mantra. The chanting is a spiritual call for the Lord and His internal energy, Hara, to give protection to the conditioned soul.

This chanting is exactly like the genuine cry of a child for its mother. Mother Hara helps the devotee achieve the grace of the supreme Father, Hari, or Krsna, and the Lord reveals Himself to the devotee who chants this mantra sincerely.

No other means of spiritual realization, therefore, is as effective in this age as chanting the maha-mantra:

<CENTER>Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare</CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER><CENTER>Krsna consciousness is not an artificial imposition on the mind. This consciousness is the original energy of the living entity. When we hear the transcendental vibration, this consciousness is revived.His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada (05-02-08)</CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER>CLICK TO LISTEN | DOWNLOAD | </CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER>LINK -The Meaning of the Hare Krishna Mantra--1966 MP3 Audio Lecture</CENTER>

<CENTER>caitanyadreaming.jpg

Caitanya Mahaprabhu dreaming of Radha-Krsna</CENTER>

How often and where should one chant?

Srila Prabhupada set the rule that one should chant at least sixteen rounds a day if one is initiated. The best time for chanting is in the morning hours. Though Lord Caitanya mentions that there are no hard or fast rules for chanting, it is still important to know that the chanting is accompanied by following the regulative principles.

However, since there are no hard and fast rules one can chant anytime and at any place. The most recommended way to chant is in association of devotees. It is also advantageous to chant in front of Tulasi devi. One main point that Mahaprabhu stressed is the attitude while chanting:

<CENTER>trnad api sunicena taror api sahisnuna

amanina manadena kirtaniya sada hari

(Siksastaka 3)

</CENTER><CENTER></CENTER>

"One should chant the holy name of the Lord in a humble state of mind, thinking oneself lower than the straw on the street, being more tolerant than a tree and always ready to offer all respects to others. In such a state of mind one can chant the holy name of the Lord constantly."

In regards of chanting during kirtan, there are certain rules, e.g. specific melodies and songs to be chanted in the temple. The classical melodies can be heard on the Vaisnava Songs link.

If you came to this page from the 'Introduction to Krishna Consciousness' please click the back button on your browser to continue reading the introduction. If you are participating in the bhakta program use the links below to continue your study.

http://www.harekrishnatemple.com/bhakta/chapter7.html

beads-200x250.jpg

Click to enlarge

Wow - thank you so much for taking the time to answer my post!

I visited a temple for the first time on saturday and it was amazing. I felt completly at peace almost immediatly, to me it felt like the missing piece of the puzzle ive been looking for..

I was given some tulsi beads and a picture of krishna by a really kind devotee who took the time to answer all my questions and was kind enough to show me around the temple and point out my mistakes regarding my conduct there..

I never thought that a simple string of beads and a picture could mean so much to me .. but for me they are a symbol of just how little i really need to be close to G-d. When i wear them it feels like I have a piece of that atmosphere in the temple with me too .. and i am so humbled by the kindness and devotion of the people i met there..

I cant wait to visit again.. I have started to chant hara krishna on japa beads.. i am aiming for one round a day which i know is nothing ...

the one thing i do find hard is making enough time to chant even a few rounds - let alone 16. For now its something I will aspire to, but i was wondering if anyone has any advice for someone just begging to chant.. ?? when is the best time? how many rounds should i be aiming for in the beggining ?

In the temple where i went I saw people walking on the street and chanting , but that was in london and i live in a small village, so the only way i can chant on the street is if i dont use beads...

one thing i have noticed is how uplifted i feel even if i only chant a few hare krishnas .. it really puts things into perspective for me and reminds me where my focus should be .. i cant believe it has taken me so long to discover this !

thank you again for taking the time to write such informative replies, i plan on printing them out and reading them at least a few times over, i know I have so much to learn.

Hare Krishna ,

Channah

Wow - thank you so much for taking the time to answer my post!

I visited a temple for the first time on saturday and it was amazing. I felt completly at peace almost immediatly, to me it felt like the missing piece of the puzzle ive been looking for..

I was given some tulsi beads and a picture of krishna by a really kind devotee who took the time to answer all my questions and was kind enough to show me around the temple and point out my mistakes regarding my conduct there..

I am glad you had a positive experience at the temple.

I never thought that a simple string of beads and a picture could mean so much to me .. but for me they are a symbol of just how little i really need to be close to G-d. When i wear them it feels like I have a piece of that atmosphere in the temple with me too .. and i am so humbled by the kindness and devotion of the people i met there..

Yes that is the purpose of external krishna conscious paraphenelia like Hare krishna shawls, beads, bodily markings, pictures and so on. They all help us remember Krishna.

I cant wait to visit again.. I have started to chant hara krishna on japa beads.. i am aiming for one round a day which i know is nothing ...

Oh no Channa, one round a day is far from being nothing. Even just the simple desire to aspire to one round a day pleases Krishna emmensly. Every time we utter even one name of the Lord that enters into our eternal bank account and is never lost to us. Whereas all the endeavors in the material world end in futility. One can become the so-called owner of the universe and in the end time takes it all away and the person is left with nothing. But even one name of Krishna, being eternal, brings eternal benefits eternally. It is beyond our mundane calculations.

the one thing i do find hard is making enough time to chant even a few rounds - let alone 16. For now its something I will aspire to, but i was wondering if anyone has any advice for someone just begging to chant.. ?? when is the best time? how many rounds should i be aiming for in the beggining ?

Best time is early morning if your schedule allows for it. But the best time may vary according to your schedule.

Aim for one round. Better to chant one round everyday then two one day and none the next etc. Steadiness has a powerful effect on the mind. As the word implies it has a steadying effect on the mind and it is easier to increase once steadiness is maintained for awhile. I have always had trouble being steady to be truthful.

I live alone and chanting is more difficult alone for me and most others as well. What helps me is I have a cd of Srila Prabhupada lchanting japa on his beads in a room full of disciples who are also chanting so I play that and it helps me a great deal. Almost any hare krishna temple will have them for sale or you can get such a cd over the net. Highly recommended.

In the temple where i went I saw people walking on the street and chanting , but that was in london and i live in a small village, so the only way i can chant on the street is if i dont use beads...

That's fine. The beads are just an aid to the holy name. Chanting without beads is just as effective. I live around San Francisco and when in public I use a hand counter or commonly called a "clicker". I get tired of people looking at my beads so I use a clicker and chant silently.

one thing i have noticed is how uplifted i feel even if i only chant a few hare krishnas .. it really puts things into perspective for me and reminds me where my focus should be .. i cant believe it has taken me so long to discover this !

The Lord is personally present in His name and is greatly pleased when a soul calls out His name. Since we are part of the Lord it is natural that His pleasure gets shared with us. Krishna is a person with His owns desires one of which is to see that all His children are happy in loving relation to Him.

It has taken us all millions of births to come to this point Channah. Think of all the souls in plant & animal forms that have yet to come to where we are and are seemingly so far away. And think of the 6 1/2 billion souls in human forms that do not yet know of Krishna. To share with them is why devotees go to the streets like in London. You may even want to chant with them so time on the street. it is a wonderful experience and open to all.

thank you again for taking the time to write such informative replies, i plan on printing them out and reading them at least a few times over, i know I have so much to learn.

Hare Krishna ,

Channah

Hare Krishna

Hare Krsna Channah! I'm so happy you've decided to further your "interest" in Krsna - As theist said quite correctly, it truly is the nature of the spiritsoul to be drawn to Krsna!!! Haribol!!!! I'm so glad you've begun to take these precious first steps in your journey back to Godhead! Krsna bless you in your endeavours!!!!! He knows, feels, sees and hears everything you do - So remember that anything offered to him with a pure heart is accepted by Him(as he tells Arjuna in the Bhagavad Gita).

About chanting on your mala beads - One is definitely not nothing my dear! Consistency is key, and keeping your COMMITMENT is the most important part. There is no competition here - You commit to as many as you know you can commit to, and build when you know you're ready for it. Of course you can always do more when you've got more time, but you should always be sure to do your base "commitment number" of rounds each day without fail - It is your promise to Krsna, and therefore should be held in the highest of priority. So be sure to set a realistic target-number for yourself, and try to do them at the same time every day. But above all, just make sure you CHANT! :) It is your strongest connection to the Lord, and I assure you as I've seen it time and time again, from chanting will blossom miracles in your life. Embrace Him! Chant His name as much as you possibly can...I can tell you're already feeling the elated feeling of bliss from chanting...It's incredible isn't it?! :) :) You'll soon find yourself soon to be in a state where you want to chant His name as much as you can, at every spare moment, just beacause you feel absolute bliss from hearing it..... :)

Your state of consciousness is important - Which is why it's so important to surround yourself with reminders of the Lord, and be around devotees as well. Association is key, as this ocean of maya tends to make us complacent and lax about our commitments, pushing them to the side while we race to contend with "everyday life". Being in a state of Krsna consciousness requires constant training of the consciousness, and constant awareness of what affects it, ie: Who we're around, what we eat, how we eat, how we live, what we choose to listen to, see and hear...All these things affect your consciousness and karma...And it's important that you are vigilant about protecting yourself from dangerous lifestyle-intrusions - By associating yourself with devotees, attending temple regularly, offering your food, listening to bhajans and of course CHANTING, these things keep the Lord not only in your mind but keep Him constantly involved in your lifestyle, and Krsna-worship thereby becomes a way of life.

But as far as association, I would have to say(and I'm sure most will agree) that the most important person to associate yourself with would have to be Srila Prabhupada!!! Associate yourself with his books - Read, read, READ them! These are your most important assets. Association with devotees is important, but you can't trust 100% of what everybody says, especially if you're brand-new to everything and don't quite know people at temple yet. What I'm saying is, don't let just anybody be your guide. Take everything in but let Prabhupada be your Guide. I'm just a devotee, and so is everybody else here. But Prabhupada is your truest Guide. He teaches us that half-knowledge/miseducation is dangerous, and that we should seek out the truth - The truth is in his books. Devotees who are true and pure of heart will help you build on/appreciate what you learn. But Prabhupada will give you your foundation, and his writings are a devotee's closest and dearest friend :) After the Bhagavad Gita, may I suggest reading "The Science of Self-Realization". I would consider this to be the best follow-up for a new devotee - It was the first book I read by Prabhupada as well :)

If you've ever got any questions or just want to discuss your development of Krsna-prema(love for Krsna) and need to voice your enthusiasm, I'm always here!! Remember that joyful expression of your love for the Lord is something you should never hide :) I'm a huge advocate of this. As devotees, we are the greatest help to one another by expressing our love for Krsna together!

All the luck in the world to you, my friend, may Radharani bless your footsteps in your journey back towards Godhead! Jai Radhe Shyam!

~Sangita Sanjali

Haribol Moonflower (Channa)

I found this UK website for buying handheld clickers so you can do chanting in the street without drawing attention.

countersales.co.uk/clickercounter

I have a clicker and find it great for when I want to chant and cannot use beads. (Its nicer on beads though) In the cooler weather (plenty of this in the UK) I like to go for a walk in my lunchhour and chant, and can get about 6 rounds done.

I usually try to get up early each day, before the rest of my family, and chant for an hour (If I get a move on I can get 8 done), and then do a few more rounds in the evening, and I can make it to 16.

Just do what you can and enjoy. I have been following Krishna Consciouness for 5 years now, and it took me a few years before I built up to 16 rounds.

Is quality more important that quantity? I chant 16 inattentive 'bad' rounds whereas you might chant 1 attentive good round and get more benefit! I live in a small village near Stratford-upon-avon in Warwickshire, so know how it feels to want to keep my KC private.

If you go to krishna.com and go to the ebooks section you can download Swami Prabhupadas books for free and read them on your PC.

Some smaller books such as 'Perfect Questions Perfect Answers', 'The Perfection of Yoga' and 'Beyond Birth and Death' are good for newcomers. Don't worry if you don't understand everything at first, the more you keep reading the more you will pick things up. Make lists of questions and ask the devotees here for explanations.

I also recommend 'Chant and be Happy' and 'Coming back - The science of Reincarnation'. You can get them from Hare Krishna websites such as krishnatemple.com (which is the Bhaktivedanta Manor website - the 'Manor' is the UKs main Hare Krishna centre. It just north of London. If you go to the shop section you can get all sorts of stuff. If you want some devtional music I recommend Dasi by KarnaMrita and also Beloved of Krishna by Ramya Devi Dasi.

keep asking questions, reading and chanting!

Hare Krishna

Mahatma das (mahatmadas@hotmail.co.uk)