IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

Hindu Website For Kids

Rate this topic

Finally a kids website where kids are taught to believe in God.

http://www.chandamama.com/story/story-content.php?sId=1&cId=4&subcatId=&storyId=891&pageno=3

Hello and welcome to another episode of Retelling Rack!

Well, this one is slightly different. In the past few weeks, you have been reading about miracles and magical happenings in the form of mythology. You have read about Dhimmappa, who gave his eye to a bleeding shivalinga. You have read about Sundaramoorthy Nayanar who gave life to a dead kid by praying to God. You have even read about a couple who got back their youth after a dip in the holy tank of the Neelakantaswamy Temple.

But still, doubts prevail, don't they? I get feedback asking me why we should actually believe that such miracles happened? Whoever heard of regained youthfulness or talking animals? What If they are all a bunch of lies? Where is the proof, really? My answer lies in this page.

As young adults, you must be familiar with regular visits to religious places. Mosques, churches, synagogues, temples whatever they may be called, are all considered as abodes of the Almighty. But how many people actually believe that there can be a God? For those who are confused about the whole concept of a supreme divinity, read this cool forwarded anecdote I recently received.

It's not about an incident that happened in the Sanga age or many centuries ago. No, my dear friends, this incident happened not very long ago.

The following conversation happened in a college lecture room. An atheist professor of philosophy speaks to his class on the problem science has with God, The Almighty. He asks one of his new students to stand.....

Prof: So you believe in God?

Student: Absolutely, sir.

Prof: Is God good?

Student: Sure.

Prof: Is God all-powerful?

Student: Yes.

Prof: My brother died of cancer even though he prayed to God to heal him. Both my parents died of cancer. Most of us would attempt to help others who are ill. But God didn't. How is this God good then? Hmm?

Student is silent.

Prof: You can't answer, can you? Let's start again, young fellow. Is God good? Was goodness created by God?

Prof: Ok. Tell me son, is there evil in this world?

Prof: Evil is everywhere, isn't it? And God did make everything. Correct?

Prof: So who created evil?

Student does not answer.

Prof: Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness? All these terrible things exist in the world, don't they?

Student: Yes, sir.

Prof: So, who created them?

Student has no answer.

Prof: Science says you have 5 senses you use to identify and observe the world around you. Tell me, son...Have you ever seen God?

Student: No, sir.

Prof: Tell us if you have ever heard your God?

Student: No, sir.

Prof: Have you ever felt your God, tasted your God, smelt your God? Have you ever had any sensory perception of God for that matter?

Student: No, sir. I'm afraid I haven't.

Prof: Yet you still believe in Him?

Prof: According to empirical, testable, demonstrable protocol, science says your GOD doesn't exist. What do you say to that, son?

Student: Nothing. I only have my faith.

Prof: Yes. FAITH . And that is the problem science has. TOO MUCH BLIND FAITH AND NOT ENOUGH PROOFS.

The student is silent for a few seconds. Then he says, "Sir, can I ask something?"

The professor nodded. The conversation went like this -

Student: Professor, is there such a thing as heat?

Prof: Yes.

Student: And is there such a thing as cold?

Prof: Yes.

Student: No sir. There isn't. There is nothing called cold.

(The lecture theater becomes very quiet with this turn of events.)

Student: Sir, you can have lots of heat, superheat, mega heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat. But we don't have anything called cold.

We can hit 458 degrees below zero which is no heat, but we can't go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold. Cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat.

We cannot measure cold. Heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of that energy.

(There is pin-drop silence in the lecture theater.)

Student: What about darkness, Professor? Is there such a thing as darkness?

Prof: Yes. What is night if there isn't darkness?

Student: You're wrong again, sir. In reality, darkness does not exist.

You can have low light, normal light, bright light, flashing light... But if you have no light constantly, you have nothing and its called darkness, isn't it? Darkness is just the absence of light.

Prof: So what is the point you are making, young man?

Student: Sir, my point is your philosophical premise is flawed. It is incorrect.

Prof: Flawed? Incorrect? Can you explain how?

Student: Sir, science can't even explain a thought. It can expand brilliantly on human thoughts, but it still lacks a definition of where thought comes from. That is what science is. You argue there is life and then there is death, a good God and a bad God. You are viewing the concept of God as something finite, something we can measure. Just like how a thought cannot be measured, the concept of God can also not be defined. Now tell me, Professor. Do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?

Prof: If you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, yes, of course, I do.

Student: Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?

(The Professor shakes his head with a smile, beginning to realize where the argument is going.)

Student: Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor, are you not teaching your opinion, sir?

You have not witnessed evolution at all. You are only telling us what you have learned from your teachers and believe to be true. How can you be a scientist, then? You are only a preacher, some one who teaches what he believes. You are no better than a priest in a temple who tells us that Lord Shiva carries the Ganga river on his head.

(The class is in uproar.)

Student: Let me ask you all a simple question. Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the Professor's brain?

(The class breaks out into laughter.)

Student: I am serious. Is there anyone here who has ever heard the Professor's brain, felt it, touched or smelt it?

(The room is silent.)

Student: Well, no one appears to have done so. So, according to the established rules of empirical, stable, demonstrable protocol, science says that you have no brain, professor. With all due respect, sir, how do we then trust your lectures?

(The professor stares at the student, his face unfathomable.)

Prof: I guess you'll need to have some faith on me and my lectures, son.

Student: That is it sir... The link between man & god is FAITH. That is all that keeps things moving and alive!

(Everybody in the class claps)

So my dear friends, wasn't that a delightful conversation, very logical and sensible?

Just remember to have faith in God and in yourself and everything in life would turn out to be positive and promising!