IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Ayush

What is Mandi?

Rate this topic

I have seen Mandi being mentioned in various astrology softwares. Some mention it some don't but I haven't seen any utility.

What is Mandi?

Why is Mandi used?

Why is it not used widely?

Also I have a doubt with Asc and Lagna. Asc is the point from where we calculate the 1st house but then what is lagna?

Why is lagna different from ascendent?

I know these are basics, but I'm a novice and would appreciate if it can be explained.

thnx

Ayush

Hi,

I came across mandi today itself. i don't know if u hv seen this link:

http://www.barbarapijan.com/bpa/Topics/Gulika_Maandi.htm

It is a 'shadow' planet like Rahu and Ketu, and has a malefic effect.

I think what you are referring to as the Asc is how western astrology defines it. In western astrology, the degree of the asc is important, as house cusps depend on the degree of the Asc. In vedic astrology, the whole sign system is followed. Ie, the whole of the rising sign or lagna becomes the 1st house.

For example. 23 degree aries is Asc, then acc to western astrology, any planet at less than 23 degree aries will fall in 12th house.

In vedic astro, if 23 degree aries is lagna, then any planet anywhere is aries falls in 1st house. the Systems approach would however say that 23 degree becomes the 'most effective point' of tha lagna and any other house.

Hi,

I came across mandi today itself. i don't know if u hv seen this link:

http://www.barbarapijan.com/bpa/Topics/Gulika_Maandi.htm

It is a 'shadow' planet like Rahu and Ketu, and has a malefic effect.

I think what you are referring to as the Asc is how western astrology defines it. In western astrology, the degree of the asc is important, as house cusps depend on the degree of the Asc. In vedic astrology, the whole sign system is followed. Ie, the whole of the rising sign or lagna becomes the 1st house.

For example. 23 degree aries is Asc, then acc to western astrology, any planet at less than 23 degree aries will fall in 12th house.

In vedic astro, if 23 degree aries is lagna, then any planet anywhere is aries falls in 1st house. the Systems approach would however say that 23 degree becomes the 'most effective point' of tha lagna and any other house.

These planets like Mandi, Upaketu, Gulik, etc. are called "Upagrahas" and are mentioned in the Brihat Parashara Hora Shastra right after the main nine planets. In fact in that same text you can find definitions such as when Gulik is in 12th a person is attracted to base or corrupt women and things of that nature.

I would definitely recommend BPHS to those who have not yet read it.

- Pablo

Thanks USRJi, Deepa and Pablo for the explanations.

Is it true that in whatever house Mandi is present it spoils the planets and the house?

Thnx

Ayush

I think that's too simple. BPHS has detailed descriptions of Mandi in every house.