Sign in to follow this  
bhaktajan

Kardama & Wife Devahuti & Dad-in-Law, Manu --SB 3.20.50--3.24.21

Rate this topic

Kardama & Wife Devahuti & Dad-in-Law, Manu

From Srimad-Bhagavatam

Canto 3 Chapter 20.50 -to- 24.21

as translated by A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

[Comment by Bhaktajan: Below, I have omitted all commentaries/purports for brevity]

One day Brahmä, the self-born, the first living creature, felt as if the object of his life had been accomplished. At that time he evolved from his mind the Manus, who promote the welfare activities or the universe.

-------------------

The self-possessed creator gave them his own human form. On seeing the Manus, those who had been created earlier—the demigods, the Gandharvas and so on—applauded Brahmä, the lord of the universe.

-------------------

They prayed: O creator of the universe, we are glad; what you have produced is well done. Since ritualistic acts have now been established soundly in this human form, we shall all share the sacrificial oblations.

-------------------

Having equipped himself with austere penance, adoration, mental concentration and absorption in devotion, accompanied by dispassion, and having controlled his senses, Brahmä, the self-born living creature, evolved great sages as his beloved sons.

-------------------

To each one of these sons the unborn creator of the universe gave a part of his own body, which was characterized by deep meditation, mental concentration, supernatural power, austerity, adoration and renunciation.

-------------------

Vidura said: The line of Sväyambhuva Manu was most esteemed. O worshipful sage, I beg you—give me an account of this race, whose progeny multiplied through sexual intercourse.

-------------------

The two great sons of Sväyambhuva Manu—Priyavrata and Uttänapäda—ruled the world, consisting of seven islands, just according to religious principles.

-------------------

O holy brähmaëa, O sinless one, you have spoken of his daughter, known by the name Devahüti, as the wife of the sage Kardama, the lord of created beings.

-------------------

How many offspring did that great yogé beget through the princess, who was endowed with eightfold perfection in the yoga principles? Oh, pray tell me this, for I am eager to hear it.

-------------------

O holy sage, tell me how the worshipful Ruci and Dakña, the son of Brahmä, generated children after securing as their wives the other two daughters of Sväyambhuva Manu.

-------------------

The great sage Maitreya replied: Commanded by Lord Brahmä to beget children in the worlds, the worshipful Kardama Muni practiced penance on the bank of the River Sarasvaté for a period of ten thousand years.

-------------------

During that period of penance, the sage Kardama, by worship through devotional service in trance, propitiated the Personality of Godhead, who is the quick bestower of all blessings upon those who flee to Him for protection.

-------------------

Then, in the Satya-yuga, the lotus-eyed Supreme Personality of Godhead, being pleased, showed Himself to that Kardama Muni and displayed His transcendental form, which can be understood only through the Vedas.

-------------------

Kardama Muni saw the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is free from material contamination, in His eternal form, effulgent like the sun, wearing a garland of white lotuses and water lilies. The Lord was clad in spotless yellow silk, and His lotus face was fringed with slick dark locks of curly hair.

-------------------

Adorned with a crown and earrings, He held His characteristic conch, disc and mace in three of His hands and a white lily in the fourth. He glanced about in a happy, smiling mood whose sight captivates the hearts of all devotees.

-------------------

A golden streak on His chest, the famous Kaustubha gem suspended from His neck, He stood in the air with His lotus feet placed on the shoulders of Garuòa.

-------------------

When Kardama Muni actually realized the Supreme Personality of Godhead in person, he was greatly satisfied because his transcendental desire was fulfilled. He fell on the ground with his head bowed to offer obeisances unto the lotus feet of the Lord. His heart naturally full of love of God, with folded hands he satisfied the Lord with prayers.

-------------------

The great sage Kardama said: O supreme worshipful Lord, my power of sight is now fulfilled, having attained the greatest perfection of the sight of You, who are the reservoir of all existences. Through many successive births of deep meditation, advanced yogés aspire to see Your transcendental form.

-------------------

Your lotus feet are the true vessel to take one across the ocean of mundane nescience. Only persons deprived of their intelligence by the spell of the deluding energy will worship those feet with a view to attain the trivial and momentary pleasures of the senses, which even persons rotting in hell can attain. However, O my Lord, You are so kind that You bestow mercy even upon them.

-------------------

Therefore, desiring to marry a girl of like disposition who may prove to be a veritable cow of plenty in my married life, to satisfy my lustful desire I too have sought the shelter of Your lotus feet, which are the source of everything, for You are like a desire tree.

-------------------

O my Lord, You are the master and leader of all living entities. Under Your direction, all conditioned souls, as if bound by rope, are constantly engaged in satisfying their desires. Following them, O embodiment of religion, I also bear oblations for You, who are eternal time.

-------------------

However, persons who have given up stereotyped worldly affairs and the beastly followers of these affairs, and who have taken shelter of the umbrella of Your lotus feet by drinking the intoxicating nectar of Your qualities and activities in discussions with one another, can be freed from the primary necessities of the material body.

-------------------

Your wheel, which has three naves, rotates around the axis of the imperishable Brahman. It has thirteen spokes, 360 joints, six rims and numberless leaves carved upon it. Though its revolution cuts short the life-span of the entire creation, this wheel of tremendous velocity cannot touch the life-span of the devotees of the Lord.

-------------------

My dear Lord, You alone create the universes. O Personality of Godhead, desiring to create these universes, You create them, maintain them and again wind them up by Your own energies, which are under the control of Your second energy, called yogamäyä, just as a spider creates a cobweb by its own energy and again winds it up.

-------------------

My dear Lord, although it is not Your desire, You manifest this creation of gross and subtle elements just for our sensual satisfaction. Let Your causeless mercy be upon us, for You have appeared before us in Your eternal form, adorned with a splendid wreath of tulasé leaves.

-------------------

I continuously offer my respectful obeisances unto Your lotus feet, of which it is worthy to take shelter, because You shower all benedictions on the insignificant. To give all living entities detachment from fruitive activity by realizing You, You have expanded these material worlds by Your own energy.

-------------------

Maitreya resumed: Sincerely extolled in these words, Lord Viñëu, shining very beautifully on the shoulders of Garuòa, replied with words as sweet as nectar. His eyebrows moved gracefully as He looked at the sage with a smile full of affection.

-------------------

The Supreme Lord said: Having come to know what was in your mind, I have already arranged for that for which you have worshiped Me well through your mental and sensory discipline.

-------------------

The Emperor Sväyambhuva Manu, the son of Lord Brahmä, who is well known for his righteous acts, has his seat in Brahmävarta and rules over the earth with its seven oceans.

-------------------

The day after tomorrow, O brähmaëa, that celebrated emperor, who is expert in religious activities, will come here with his queen, Çatarüpä, wishing to see you.

-------------------

He has a grown-up daughter whose eyes are black. She is ready for marriage, and she has good character and all good qualities. She is also searching for a good husband. My dear sir, her parents will come to see you, who are exactly suitable for her, just to deliver their daughter as your wife.

-------------------

That princess, O holy sage, will be just the type you have been thinking of in your heart for all these long years. She will soon be yours and will serve you to your heart’s content.

-------------------

She will bring forth nine daughters from the seed sown in her by you, and through the daughters you beget, the sages will duly beget children.

-------------------

With your heart cleansed by properly carrying out My command, resigning to Me the fruits of all your acts, you will finally attain to Me.

-------------------

Showing compassion to all living entities, you will attain self-realization. Giving assurance of safety to all, you will perceive your own self as well as all the universes in Me, and Myself in you.

-------------------

O great sage, I shall manifest My own plenary portion through your wife, Devahüti, along with your nine daughters, and I shall instruct her in the system of philosophy that deals with the ultimate principles or categories.

-------------------

Maitreya went on: Thus having spoken to Kardama Muni, the Lord, who reveals Himself only when the senses are in Kåñëa consciousness, departed from that lake called Bindu-sarovara, which was encircled by the River Sarasvaté.

-------------------

While the sage stood looking on, the Lord left by the pathway leading to Vaikuëöha, a path extolled by all great liberated souls. The sage stood listening as the hymns forming the basis of the Säma Veda were vibrated by the flapping wings of the Lord’s carrier, Garuòa.

-------------------

Then, after the departure of the Lord, the worshipful sage Kardama stayed on the bank of Bindu-sarovara, awaiting the time of which the Lord had spoken.

-------------------

Sväyambhuva Manu, with his wife, mounted his chariot, which was decorated with golden ornaments. Placing his daughter on it with them, he began traveling all over the earth.

-------------------

O Vidura, they reached the hermitage of the sage, who had just completed his vows of austerity on the very day foretold by the Lord.

-------------------

The holy Lake Bindu-sarovara, flooded by the waters of the River Sarasvaté, was resorted to by hosts of eminent sages. Its holy water was not only auspicious but as sweet as nectar. It was called Bindu-sarovara because drops of tears had fallen there from the eyes of the Lord, who was overwhelmed by extreme compassion for the sage who had sought His protection.

-------------------

The shore of the lake was surrounded by clusters of pious trees and creepers, rich in fruits and flowers of all seasons, that afforded shelter to pious animals and birds, which uttered various cries. It was adorned by the beauty of groves of forest trees.

-------------------

The area resounded with the notes of overjoyed birds. Intoxicated bees wandered there, intoxicated peacocks proudly danced, and merry cuckoos called one another.

-------------------

Lake Bindu-sarovara was adorned by flowering trees such as kadamba, campaka, açoka, karaïja, bakula, äsana, kunda, mandära, kuöaja and young mango trees. The air was filled with the pleasing notes of käraëòava ducks, plavas, swans, ospreys, waterfowl, cranes, cakraväkas and cakoras.

-------------------

Its shores abounded with deer, boars, porcupines, gavayas, elephants, baboons, lions, monkeys, mongooses and musk deer.

-------------------

Entering that most sacred spot with his daughter and going near the sage, the first monarch, Sväyambhuva Manu, saw the sage sitting in his hermitage, having just propitiated the sacred fire by pouring oblations into it. His body shone most brilliantly; though he had engaged in austere penance for a long time, he was not emaciated, for the Lord had cast His affectionate sidelong glance upon him and he had also heard the nectar flowing from the moonlike words of the Lord. The sage was tall, his eyes were large, like the petals of a lotus, and he had matted locks on his head. He was clad in rags. Sväyambhuva Manu approached and saw him to be somewhat soiled, like an unpolished gem.

-------------------

Seeing that the monarch had come to his hermitage and was bowing before him, the sage greeted him with benediction and received him with due honor.

-------------------

After receiving the sage’s attention, the King sat down and was silent. Recalling the instructions of the Lord, Kardama then spoke to the King as follows, delighting him with his sweet accents.

-------------------

The tour you have undertaken, O lord, is surely intended to protect the virtuous and kill the demons, since you embody the protecting energy of Çré Hari.

-------------------

You assume, when necessary, the part of the sun-god; the moon-god; Agni, the god of fire; Indra, the lord of paradise; Väyu, the wind-god; Yama, the god of punishment; Dharma, the god of piety; and Varuëa, the god presiding over the waters. All obeisances to you, who are none other than Lord Viñëu!

-------------------

If you did not mount your victorious jeweled chariot, whose mere presence threatens culprits, if you did not produce fierce sounds by the twanging of your bow, and if you did not roam about the world like the brilliant sun, leading a huge army whose trampling feet cause the globe of the earth to tremble, then all the moral laws governing the varëas and äçramas created by the Lord Himself would be broken by the rogues and rascals.

-------------------

If you gave up all thought of the world’s situation, unrighteousness would flourish, for men who hanker only after money would be unopposed. Such miscreants would attack, and the world would perish.

-------------------

In spite of all this, I ask you, O valiant King, the purpose for which you have come here. Whatever it may be, we shall carry it out without reservation.

-------------------

Çré Maitreya said: After describing the greatness of the Emperor’s manifold qualities and activities, the sage became silent, and the Emperor, feeling modesty, addressed him as follows.

-------------------

Manu replied: To expand himself in Vedic knowledge, Lord Brahmä, the personified Veda, from his face created you, the brähmaëas, who are full of austerity, knowledge and mystic power and are averse to sense gratification.

-------------------

For the protection of the brähmaëas, the thousand-legged Supreme Being created us, the kñatriyas, from His thousand arms. Hence the brähmaëas are said to be His heart and the kñatriyas His arms.

-------------------

That is why the brähmaëas and kñatriyas protect each other, as well as themselves; and the Lord Himself, who is both the cause and effect and is yet immutable, protects them through each other.

-------------------

Now I have resolved all my doubts simply by meeting you, for Your Lordship has very kindly and clearly explained the duty of a king who desires to protect his subjects.

-------------------

It is my good fortune that I have been able to see you, for you cannot easily be seen by persons who have not subdued the mind or controlled the senses. I am all the more fortunate to have touched with my head the blessed dust of your feet.

-------------------

I have fortunately been instructed by you, and thus great favor has been bestowed upon me. I thank God that I have listened with open ears to your pure words.

-------------------

O great sage, graciously be pleased to listen to the prayer of my humble self, for my mind is troubled by affection for my daughter.

-------------------

My daughter is the sister of Priyavrata and Uttänapäda. She is seeking a suitable husband in terms of age, character and good qualities.

-------------------

The moment she heard from the sage Närada of your noble character, learning, beautiful appearance, youth and other virtues, she fixed her mind upon you.

-------------------

Therefore please accept her, O chief of the brähmaëas, for I offer her with faith and she is in every respect fit to be your wife and take charge of your household duties.

-------------------

To deny an offering that has come of itself is not commendable even for one absolutely free from all attachment, much less one addicted to sensual pleasure.

-------------------

One who rejects an offering that comes of its own accord but later begs a boon from a miser thus loses his widespread reputation, and his pride is humbled by the neglectful behavior of others.

-------------------

Sväyambhuva Manu continued: O wise man, I heard that you were prepared to marry. Please accept her hand, which is being offered to you by me, since you have not taken a vow of perpetual celibacy.

-------------------

The great sage replied: Certainly I have a desire to marry, and your daughter has not yet married or given her word to anyone. Therefore our marriage according to the Vedic system can take place.

-------------------

Let your daughter’s desire for marriage, which is recognized in the Vedic scriptures, be fulfilled. Who would not accept her hand? She is so beautiful that by her bodily luster alone she excels the beauty of her ornaments.

-------------------

I have heard that Viçvävasu, the great Gandharva, his mind stupefied with infatuation, fell from his airplane after seeing your daughter playing with a ball on the roof of the palace, for she was indeed beautiful with her tinkling ankle bells and her eyes moving to and fro.

-------------------

What wise man would not welcome her, the very ornament of womanhood, the beloved daughter of Sväyambhuva Manu and sister of Uttänapäda? Those who have not worshiped the gracious feet of the goddess of fortune cannot even perceive her, yet she has come of her own accord to seek my hand.

-------------------

Therefore I shall accept this chaste girl as my wife, on the condition that after she bears semen from my body, I shall accept the life of devotional service accepted by the most perfect human beings. That process was described by Lord Viñëu. It is free from envy.

-------------------

The highest authority for me is the unlimited Supreme Personality of Godhead, from whom this wonderful creation emanates and in whom its sustenance and dissolution rest. He is the origin of all Prajäpatis, the personalities meant to produce living entities in this world.

-------------------

Çré Maitreya said: O great warrior Vidura, the sage Kardama said this much only and then became silent, thinking of his worshipable Lord Viñëu, who has a lotus on His navel. As he silently smiled, his face captured the mind of Devahüti, who began to meditate upon the great sage.

-------------------

After having unmistakably known the decision of the Queen, as well as that of Devahüti, the Emperor most gladly gave his daughter to the sage, whose host of virtues was equaled by hers.

-------------------

Empress Çatarüpä lovingly gave most valuable presents, suitable for the occasion, such as jewelry, clothes and household articles, in dowry to the bride and bridegroom.

-------------------

Thus relieved of his responsibility by handing over his daughter to a suitable man, Sväyambhuva Manu, his mind agitated by feelings of separation, embraced his affectionate daughter with both his arms.

-------------------

The Emperor was unable to bear the separation of his daughter. Therefore tears poured from his eyes again and again, drenching his daughter’s head as he cried, “My dear mother! My dear daughter!”

-------------------

After asking and obtaining the great sage’s permission to leave, the monarch mounted his chariot with his wife and started for his capital, followed by his retinue. Along the way he saw the prosperity of the tranquil seers’ beautiful hermitages on both the charming banks of the Sarasvaté, the river so agreeable to saintly persons.

-------------------

Overjoyed to know of his arrival, his subjects came forth from Brahmävarta to greet their returning lord with songs, prayers and musical instruments.

------------------

The city of ffice:smarttags" />Barhiñmaté, rich in all kinds of wealth, was so called because Lord Viñëu’s hair dropped there from His body when He manifested Himself as Lord Boar. As He shook His body, this very hair fell and turned into blades of evergreen kuça grass and käça [another kind of grass used for mats], by means of which the sages worshiped Lord Viñëu after defeating the demons who had interfered with the performance of their sacrifices.

-------------------

Manu spread a seat of kuças and käças and worshiped the Lord, the Personality of Godhead, by whose grace he had obtained the rule of the terrestrial globe.

-------------------

Having entered the city of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:City w:st=<st1:place w:st=" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Barhiñmaté</st1:City></st1:place>, in which he had previously lived, Manu entered his palace, which was filled with an atmosphere that eradicated the three miseries of material existence.

-------------------

Emperor Sväyambhuva Manu enjoyed life with his wife and subjects and fulfilled his desires without being disturbed by unwanted principles contrary to the process of religion. Celestial musicians and their wives sang in chorus about the pure reputation of the Emperor, and early in the morning, every day, he used to listen to the pastimes of the Supreme Personality of Godhead with a loving heart.

-------------------

Thus Sväyambhuva Manu was a saintly king. Although absorbed in material happiness, he was not dragged to the lowest grade of life, for he always enjoyed his material happiness in a Kåñëa conscious atmosphere.

-------------------

Consequently, although his duration of life gradually came to an end, his long life, consisting of a Manvantara era, was not spent in vain, since he ever engaged in hearing, contemplating, writing down and chanting the pastimes of the Lord.

-------------------

He passed his time, which lasted seventy-one cycles of the four ages [71 x 4,320,000 years], always thinking of Väsudeva and always engaged in matters regarding Väsudeva. Thus he transcended the three destinations.

-------------------

Therefore, O Vidura, how can persons completely under the shelter of Lord Kåñëa in devotional service be put into miseries pertaining to the body, the mind, nature, and other men and living creatures?

-------------------

In reply to questions asked by certain sages, he [sväyambhuva Manu], out of compassion for all living entities, taught the diverse sacred duties of men in general and the different varëas and äçramas.

-------------------

I have spoken to you of the wonderful character of Sväyambhuva Manu, the original king, whose reputation is worthy of description. Please hear as I speak of the flourishing of his daughter Devahüti.

-------------------

Maitreya continued: After the departure of her parents, the chaste woman Devahüti, who could understand the desires of her husband, served him constantly with great love, as Bhaväné, the wife of Lord Çiva, serves her husband.

-------------------

O Vidura, Devahüti served her husband with intimacy and great respect, with control of the senses, with love and with sweet words.

-------------------

Working sanely and diligently, she pleased her very powerful husband, giving up all lust, pride, envy, greed, sinful activities and vanity.

-------------------

The daughter of Manu, who was fully devoted to her husband, looked upon him as greater even than providence. Thus she expected great blessings from him. Having served him for a long time, she grew weak and emaciated due to her religious observances. Seeing her condition, Kardama, the foremost of celestial sages, was overcome with compassion and spoke to her in a voice choked with great love.

-------------------

Kardama Muni said: O respectful daughter of Sväyambhuva Manu, today I am very much pleased with you for your great devotion and most excellent loving service. Since the body is so dear to embodied beings, I am astonished that you have neglected your own body to use it on my behalf.

-------------------

Kardama Muni continued: I have achieved the blessings of the Lord in discharging my own religious life of austerity, meditation and Kåñëa consciousness. Although you have not yet experienced these achievements, which are free from fear and lamentation, I shall offer them all to you because you are engaged in my service. Now just look at them. I am giving you the transcendental vision to see how nice they are.

-------------------

Kardama Muni continued: What is the use of enjoyments other than the Lord’s grace? All material achievements are subject to be annihilated simply by a movement of the eyebrows of Lord Viñëu, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. By your principles of devotion to your husband, you have achieved and can enjoy transcendental gifts very rarely obtained by persons proud of aristocracy and material possessions.

-------------------

Upon hearing the speaking of her husband, who excelled in knowledge of all kinds of transcendental science, innocent Devahüti was very satisfied. Her smiling face shining with a slightly bashful glance, she spoke in a choked voice because of great humility and love.

-------------------

Çré Devahüti said: My dear husband, O best of brähmaëas, I know that you have achieved perfection and are the master of all the infallible mystic powers because you are under the protection of yogamäyä, the transcendental nature. But you once made a promise that our bodily union should now fulfill, since children are a great quality for a chaste woman who has a glorious husband.

Devahüti continued: My dear lord, I am struck by excited emotion for you. Therefore kindly make what arrangements must be made according to the scriptures so that my skinny body, emaciated through unsatisfied passion, may be rendered fit for you. Also, my lord, please think of a suitable house for this purpose.

-------------------

Maitreya continued: O Vidura, seeking to please his beloved wife, the sage Kardama exercised his yogic power and instantly produced an aerial mansion that could travel at his will.

-------------------

It was a wonderful structure, bedecked with all sorts of jewels, adorned with pillars of precious stones, and capable of yielding whatever one desired. It was equipped with every form of furniture and wealth, which tended to increase in the course of time.

-------------------

The castle was fully equipped with all necessary paraphernalia, and it was pleasing in all seasons. It was decorated all around with flags, festoons and artistic work of variegated colors. It was further embellished with wreaths of charming flowers that attracted sweetly humming bees and with tapestries of linen, silk and various other fabrics.

-------------------

The palace looked charming, with beds, couches, fans and seats, all separately arranged in seven stories.

-------------------

Its beauty was enhanced by artistic engravings here and there on the walls. The floor was of emerald, with coral daises.

-------------------

The palace was very beautiful, with its coral thresholds at the entrances and its doors bedecked with diamonds. Gold pinnacles crowned its domes of sapphire.

-------------------

With the choicest rubies set in its diamond walls, it appeared as though possessed of eyes. It was furnished with wonderful canopies and greatly valuable gates of gold.

-------------------

Here and there in that palace were multitudes of live swans and pigeons, as well as artificial swans and pigeons so lifelike that the real swans rose above them again and again, thinking them live birds like themselves. Thus the palace vibrated with the sounds of these birds.

-------------------

The castle had pleasure grounds, resting chambers, bedrooms and inner and outer yards designed with an eye to comfort. All this caused astonishment to the sage himself.

-------------------

When he saw Devahüti looking at the gigantic, opulent palace with a displeased heart, Kardama Muni could understand her feelings because he could study the heart of anyone. Thus he personally addressed his wife as follows.

-------------------

My dear Devahüti, you look very much afraid. First bathe in Lake Bindu-sarovara, created by Lord Viñëu Himself, which can grant all the desires of a human being, and then mount this airplane.

-------------------

The lotus-eyed Devahüti accepted the order of her husband. Because of her dirty dress and the locks of matted hair on her head, she did not look very attractive.

-------------------

Her body was coated with a thick layer of dirt, and her breasts were discolored. She dove, however, into the lake, which contained the sacred waters of the Sarasvaté.

-------------------

In a house inside the lake she saw one thousand girls, all in the prime of youth and fragrant like lotuses.

-------------------

Seeing her, the damsels suddenly rose and said with folded hands, “We are your maidservants. Tell us what we can do for you.”

-------------------

The girls, being very respectful to Devahüti, brought her forth, and after bathing her with valuable oils and ointments, they gave her fine, new, spotless cloth to cover her body.

-------------------

They then decorated her with very excellent and valuable jewels, which shone brightly. Next they offered her food containing all good qualities, and a sweet, inebriating drink called äsavam.

-------------------

Then in a mirror she beheld her own reflection. Her body was completely freed from all dirt, and she was adorned with a garland. Dressed in unsullied robes and decorated with auspicious marks of tilaka, she was served very respectfully by the maids.

-------------------

Her entire body, including her head, was completely bathed, and she was decorated all over with ornaments. She wore a special necklace with a locket. There were bangles on her wrists and tinkling anklets of gold about her ankles.

-------------------

About her hips she wore a girdle of gold, set with numerous jewels, and she was further adorned with a precious pearl necklace and auspicious substances.

-------------------

Her countenance shone, with beautiful teeth and charming eyebrows. Her eyes, distinguished by lovely moist corners, defeated the beauty of lotus buds. Her face was surrounded by dark curling tresses.

-------------------

When she thought of her great husband, the best of the sages, Kardama Muni, who was very dear to her, she, along with all the maidservants, at once appeared where he was.

-------------------

She was amazed to find herself surrounded by a thousand maids in the presence of her husband and to witness his yogic power.

-------------------

The sage could see that Devahüti had washed herself clean and was shining forth as though no longer his former wife. She had regained her own original beauty as the daughter of a prince. Dressed in excellent robes, her charming breasts duly girded, she was waited upon by a thousand Gandharva girls. O destroyer of the enemy, his fondness for her grew, and he placed her on the aerial mansion.

-------------------

Though seemingly attached to his beloved consort while served by the Gandharva girls, the sage did not lose his glory, which was mastery over his self. In the aerial mansion Kardama Muni with his consort shone as charmingly as the moon in the midst of the stars in the sky, which causes rows of lilies to open in ponds at night.

-------------------

In that aerial mansion he traveled to the pleasure valleys of ffice:smarttags" /><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:place w:st=<ST1:PlaceType w:st="on">Mount</ST1:PlaceType> <ST1:PlaceName w:st="on">Meru</ST1:PlaceName></st1:place>, which were rendered all the more beautiful by cool, gentle, fragrant breezes that stimulated passion. In these valleys, the treasurer of the gods, Kuvera, surrounded by beautiful women and praised by the Siddhas, generally enjoys pleasure. Kardama Muni also, surrounded by the beautiful damsels and his wife, went there and enjoyed for many, many years.

-------------------

Satisfied by his wife, he enjoyed in that aerial mansion not only on <ST1:PlaceType w:st="on">Mount</ST1:PlaceType> <ST1:PlaceName w:st="on">Meru</ST1:PlaceName> but in different gardens known as Vaiçrambhaka, Surasana, Nandana, Puñpabhadraka and Caitrarathya, and by the <st1:place w:st="on"><ST1:PlaceName w:st="on">Mänasa-sarovara</ST1:PlaceName> <ST1:PlaceType w:st="on">Lake</ST1:PlaceType></st1:place>.

-------------------

He traveled in that way through the various planets, as the air passes uncontrolled in every direction. Coursing through the air in that great and splendid aerial mansion, which could fly at his will, he surpassed even the demigods.

-------------------

What is difficult to achieve for determined men who have taken refuge of the Supreme Personality of Godhead’s lotus feet? His feet are the source of sacred rivers like the <st1:place w:st="on">Ganges</st1:place>, which put an end to the dangers of mundane life.

-------------------

After showing his wife the globe of the universe and its different arrangements, full of many wonders, the great yogé Kardama Muni returned to his own hermitage.

-------------------

After coming back to his hermitage, he divided himself into nine personalities just to give pleasure to Devahüti, the daughter of Manu, who was eager for sex life. In that way he enjoyed with her for many, many years, which passed just like a moment.

-------------------

In that aerial mansion, Devahüti, in the company of her handsome husband, situated on an excellent bed that increased sexual desires, could not realize how much time was passing.

-------------------

While the couple, who eagerly longed for sexual pleasure, were thus enjoying themselves by virtue of mystic powers, a hundred autumns passed like a brief span of time.

-------------------

The powerful Kardama Muni was the knower of everyone’s heart, and he could grant whatever one desired. Knowing the spiritual soul, he regarded her as half of his body. Dividing himself into nine forms, he impregnated Devahüti with nine discharges of semen.

-------------------

Immediately afterward, on the same day, Devahüti gave birth to nine female children, all charming in every limb and fragrant with the scent of the red lotus flower.

-------------------

When she saw her husband about to leave home, she smiled externally, but at heart she was agitated and distressed.

-------------------

She stood and scratched the ground with her foot, which was radiant with the luster of her gemlike nails. Her head bent down, she spoke in slow yet charming accents, suppressing her tears.

-------------------

Çré Devahüti said: My lord, you have fulfilled all the promises you gave me, yet because I am your surrendered soul, you should give me fearlessness too.

-------------------

My dear brähmaëa, as far as your daughters are concerned, they will find their own suitable husbands and go away to their respective homes. But who will give me solace after your departure as a sannyäsé?

-------------------

Until now we have simply wasted so much of our time in sense gratification, neglecting to cultivate knowledge of the Supreme Lord.

-------------------

Not knowing your transcendental situation, I have loved you while remaining attached to the objects of the senses. Nonetheless, let the affinity I have developed for you rid me of all fear.

-------------------

Association for sense gratification is certainly the path of bondage. But the same type of association, performed with a saintly person, leads to the path of liberation, even if performed without knowledge.

-------------------

Anyone whose work is not meant to elevate him to religious life, anyone whose religious ritualistic performances do not raise him to renunciation, and anyone situated in renunciation that does not lead him to devotional service to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, must be considered dead, although he is breathing.

-------------------

My lord, surely I have been solidly cheated by the insurmountable illusory energy of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, for in spite of having obtained your association, which gives liberation from material bondage, I did not seek such liberation.

-------------------

Recalling the words of Lord Viñëu, the merciful sage Kardama replied as follows to Sväyambhuva Manu’s praiseworthy daughter, Devahüti, who was speaking words full of renunciation.

-------------------

The sage said: Do not be disappointed with yourself, O princess. You are actually praiseworthy. The infallible Supreme Personality of Godhead will shortly enter your womb as your son.

-------------------

You have undertaken sacred vows. God will bless you. Hence you should worship the Lord with great faith, through sensory control, religious observances, austerities and gifts of your money in charity.

-------------------

The Personality of Godhead, being worshiped by you, will spread my name and fame. He will vanquish the knot of your heart by becoming your son and teaching knowledge of Brahman.

-------------------

Çré Maitreya said: Devahüti was fully faithful and respectful toward the direction of her husband, Kardama, who was one of the Prajäpatis, or generators of human beings in the universe. O great sage, she thus began to worship the master of the universe, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is situated in everyone’s heart.

-------------------

After many, many years, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Madhusüdana, the killer of the demon Madhu, having entered the semen of Kardama, appeared in Devahüti just as fire comes from wood in a sacrifice.

-------------------

At the time of His descent on earth, demigods in the form of raining clouds sounded musical instruments in the sky. The celestial musicians, the Gandharvas, sang the glories of the Lord, while celestial dancing girls known as Apsaräs danced in joyful ecstasy.

-------------------

At the time of the Lord’s appearance, the demigods flying freely in the sky showered flowers. All the directions, all the waters and everyone’s mind became very satisfied.

-------------------

Brahmä, the first-born living being, went along with Maréci and other sages to the place of Kardama’s hermitage, which was surrounded by the River Sarasvaté.

-------------------

Maitreya continued: O killer of the enemy, the unborn Lord Brahmä, who is almost independent in acquiring knowledge, could understand that a portion of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, in His quality of pure existence, had appeared in the womb of Devahüti just to explain the complete state of knowledge known as säìkhya-yoga.

-------------------

After worshiping the Supreme Lord with gladdened senses and a pure heart for His intended activities as an incarnation, Brahmä spoke as follows to Kardama and Devahüti.

-------------------

Lord Brahmä said: My dear son Kardama, since you have completely accepted my instructions without duplicity, showing them proper respect, you have worshiped me properly. Whatever instructions you took from me you have carried out, and thereby you have honored me.

-------------------

Sons ought to render service to their father exactly to this extent. One should obey the command of his father or spiritual master with due deference, saying, “Yes, sir.”

-------------------

Lord Brahmä then praised Kardama Muni’s nine daughters, saying: All your thin-waisted daughters are certainly very chaste. I am sure they will increase this creation by their own descendants in various ways.

-------------------

Therefore, today please give away your daughters to the foremost of the sages, with due regard for the girls’ temperaments and likings, and thereby spread your fame all over the universe.

-------------------

O Kardama, I know that the original Supreme Personality of Godhead has now appeared as an incarnation by His internal energy. He is the bestower of all desired by the living entities, and He has now assumed the body of Kapila Muni.

-------------------

By mystic yoga and the practical application of knowledge from the scriptures, Kapila Muni, who is characterized by His golden hair, His eyes just like lotus petals and His lotus feet, which bear the marks of lotus flowers, will uproot the deep-rooted desire for work in this material world.

-------------------

Lord Brahmä then told Devahüti: My dear daughter of Manu, the same Supreme Personality of Godhead who killed the demon Kaiöabha is now within your womb. He will cut off all the knots of your ignorance and doubt. Then He will travel all over the world.

-------------------

Your son will be the head of all the perfected souls. He will be approved by the äcäryas expert in disseminating real knowledge, and among the people He will be celebrated by the name Kapila. As the son of Devahüti, He will increase your fame.

-------------------

Çré Maitreya said: After thus speaking to Kardama Muni and his wife Devahüti, Lord Brahmä, the creator of the universe, who is also known as Haàsa, went back to the highest of the three planetary systems on his swan carrier with the four Kumäras and Närada.

-------------------

O Vidura, after the departure of Brahmä, Kardama Muni, having been ordered by Brahmä, handed over his nine daughters, as instructed, to the nine great sages who created the population of the world.

-------------------

When she saw her husband about to leave home, she smiled externally, but at heart she was agitated and distressed.

-------------------

She stood and scratched the ground with her foot, which was radiant with the luster of her gemlike nails. Her head bent down, she spoke in slow yet charming accents, suppressing her tears.

-------------------

Çré Devahüti said: My lord, you have fulfilled all the promises you gave me, yet because I am your surrendered soul, you should give me fearlessness too.

-------------------

My dear brähmaëa, as far as your daughters are concerned, they will find their own suitable husbands and go away to their respective homes. But who will give me solace after your departure as a sannyäsé?

-------------------

Until now we have simply wasted so much of our time in sense gratification, neglecting to cultivate knowledge of the Supreme Lord.

-------------------

Not knowing your transcendental situation, I have loved you while remaining attached to the objects of the senses. Nonetheless, let the affinity I have developed for you rid me of all fear.

-------------------

Association for sense gratification is certainly the path of bondage. But the same type of association, performed with a saintly person, leads to the path of liberation, even if performed without knowledge.

-------------------

Anyone whose work is not meant to elevate him to religious life, anyone whose religious ritualistic performances do not raise him to renunciation, and anyone situated in renunciation that does not lead him to devotional service to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, must be considered dead, although he is breathing.

-------------------

My lord, surely I have been solidly cheated by the insurmountable illusory energy of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, for in spite of having obtained your association, which gives liberation from material bondage, I did not seek such liberation.

-------------------

Recalling the words of Lord Viñëu, the merciful sage Kardama replied as follows to Sväyambhuva Manu’s praiseworthy daughter, Devahüti, who was speaking words full of renunciation.

-------------------

The sage said: Do not be disappointed with yourself, O princess. You are actually praiseworthy. The infallible Supreme Personality of Godhead will shortly enter your womb as your son.

-------------------

You have undertaken sacred vows. God will bless you. Hence you should worship the Lord with great faith, through sensory control, religious observances, austerities and gifts of your money in charity.

-------------------

The Personality of Godhead, being worshiped by you, will spread my name and fame. He will vanquish the knot of your heart by becoming your son and teaching knowledge of Brahman.

-------------------

Çré Maitreya said: Devahüti was fully faithful and respectful toward the direction of her husband, Kardama, who was one of the Prajäpatis, or generators of human beings in the universe. O great sage, she thus began to worship the master of the universe, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is situated in everyone’s heart.

-------------------

After many, many years, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Madhusüdana, the killer of the demon Madhu, having entered the semen of Kardama, appeared in Devahüti just as fire comes from wood in a sacrifice.

-------------------

At the time of His descent on earth, demigods in the form of raining clouds sounded musical instruments in the sky. The celestial musicians, the Gandharvas, sang the glories of the Lord, while celestial dancing girls known as Apsaräs danced in joyful ecstasy.

-------------------

At the time of the Lord’s appearance, the demigods flying freely in the sky showered flowers. All the directions, all the waters and everyone’s mind became very satisfied.

-------------------

Brahmä, the first-born living being, went along with Maréci and other sages to the place of Kardama’s hermitage, which was surrounded by the River Sarasvaté.

-------------------

Maitreya continued: O killer of the enemy, the unborn Lord Brahmä, who is almost independent in acquiring knowledge, could understand that a portion of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, in His quality of pure existence, had appeared in the womb of Devahüti just to explain the complete state of knowledge known as säìkhya-yoga.

-------------------

After worshiping the Supreme Lord with gladdened senses and a pure heart for His intended activities as an incarnation, Brahmä spoke as follows to Kardama and Devahüti.

-------------------

Lord Brahmä said: My dear son Kardama, since you have completely accepted my instructions without duplicity, showing them proper respect, you have worshiped me properly. Whatever instructions you took from me you have carried out, and thereby you have honored me.

-------------------

Sons ought to render service to their father exactly to this extent. One should obey the command of his father or spiritual master with due deference, saying, “Yes, sir.”

-------------------

Lord Brahmä then praised Kardama Muni’s nine daughters, saying: All your thin-waisted daughters are certainly very chaste. I am sure they will increase this creation by their own descendants in various ways.

-------------------

Therefore, today please give away your daughters to the foremost of the sages, with due regard for the girls’ temperaments and likings, and thereby spread your fame all over the universe.

-------------------

O Kardama, I know that the original Supreme Personality of Godhead has now appeared as an incarnation by His internal energy. He is the bestower of all desired by the living entities, and He has now assumed the body of Kapila Muni.

-------------------

By mystic yoga and the practical application of knowledge from the scriptures, Kapila Muni, who is characterized by His golden hair, His eyes just like lotus petals and His lotus feet, which bear the marks of lotus flowers, will uproot the deep-rooted desire for work in this material world.

-------------------

Lord Brahmä then told Devahüti: My dear daughter of Manu, the same Supreme Personality of Godhead who killed the demon Kaiöabha is now within your womb. He will cut off all the knots of your ignorance and doubt. Then He will travel all over the world.

-------------------

Your son will be the head of all the perfected souls. He will be approved by the äcäryas expert in disseminating real knowledge, and among the people He will be celebrated by the name Kapila. As the son of Devahüti, He will increase your fame.

-------------------

Çré Maitreya said: After thus speaking to Kardama Muni and his wife Devahüti, Lord Brahmä, the creator of the universe, who is also known as Haàsa, went back to the highest of the three planetary systems on his swan carrier with the four Kumäras and Närada.

-------------------

O Vidura, after the departure of Brahmä, Kardama Muni, having been ordered by Brahmä, handed over his nine daughters, as instructed, to the nine great sages who created the population of the world.

From where did you Copy and pasted this Boring Story bhaktajan

I know you are Trying hard to Reply to my questions posted

i can understand that you have lost

But why all this made up stories ha relax...be Cool and reply here don't create another false thread i shall hunt you down where you go and Lie dude

that's my promise Ok

Om Nama Shivya

Dear Mr Bkatajan,

Please don't quote anything from A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. He had done wonderful work for the westerners to know our Indian Culture. But............. same time he had done a great injustice to the true Indians. Example - His commentaries on Gita has his own vision - 'Women are less intelligent' this is written only in his Gita explanation, not in any of other Mahatma's wonderful work. As they say in Vedic 'Hara and Hare is one', so please don't label yourself as Vaishanava.

May ShivaKrsna Bless your Soul to be born into a more realize surronding. :cool:

Question: What on earth is this story meant to 'prove' to us, Bhaktajan?

Answer: The Story Kardama & Wife Devahuti & Dad-in-Law, Manu<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

AKA

The history of the creation of the population of the universe

SB3.12.57P:

The history of the creation of the population of the universe is given herewith. Brahmä is the original living creature in the universe, from whom were generated the Manu Sväyambhuva and his wife Çatarüpä. From Manu, two sons and three daughters were born, and from them all the population in different planets has sprung up until now. Therefore, Brahmä is known as the grandfather of everyone, and the Personality of Godhead, being the father of Brahmä, is known as the great-grandfather of all living beings. . . .

---

PS:

Why do you ask?

Did you notice that I started the Thread?

Did you notice the Title of the Thread?

Don't feel stupid. I got expelled many time from school for asking my teachers the very same question during exams.

I asked because the story seemed to have nothing to do with anything. But, of course, it means something to you that no one else understands.

And, that verse proves nothing, Bhaktajan. Brahma didn't create Radha-Krishna, so how can you prove he CREATED (spiritually, since They are spiritual entities) Saraswati or Uma Maheshvara?

Don't you realize that Radhika takes the form of all goddesses? Don't you realize that all the gods and goddesses are but forms of Radha-Krishna? Look at some of Her thousand names!:

Brahmä's wife (brahma-patné), Goddess Sarasvaté (sarasvaté), the beautiful wife of Lord Çiva (çambhu-käntä and sadäçiva-manoharä), the wife of Lord Çiva (çivä and durgä), and the wife of Lord Çiva who destroyed Kämadeva's body (kämäìga-häriëé), Goddess Pärvaté (himälaya-sutä, sarvä, pärvaté, girijä, and saté), She is Dakña's daughter (dakña-kanyä), Goddess Pärvaté (haimavaté), she who is dear to Çiva, Brahmä, and Viñëu (çiva-brahma-hari-priyä), Lord Çiva's wife (çaçi-çekharä), She is Goddess Durgä (anna-pürëä), mother of the universe (jagad-ambikä), She is the Goddess who resides on Mount Kailäsa (kailäsa-väsiné). She is the beloved the mother (priyambikä), the beloved of Lord Çiva (hara-käntä and hara-ratä), and She who gives bliss to Lord Çiva (haränanda-pradäyiné), She is Lord Çiva's wife (hara-patné), Lord Çiva's beloved (hara-prétä), devoted to pleasing Lord Çiva (hara-toçaëa-tatparä), Lord Çiva's queen (hareçvaré), Goddess Saté (Saté), the nine Durgäs (nava-durgikä), stopped Dakña's yajïa (dakña-yajïa-harä), is Dakña's daughter (däkñé and dakña-kanyä), She is Lord Çiva's beloved (çivä), a great devotee of Lord Çiva (çiva-bhaktä), and Lord Çiva's companion (çivänvitä), the goddess who resides on Mount Kailäsa (kailäsäcala-väsiné), She is the daughter of Nägaräja (nagendra-kanyä), She is Lord Çiva's beloved (nélakaëöha-priyä), She is Lord Çiva's beloved (raudrä), She delights Lord Çiva (rudränanda-prakäçiné), She is Goddess Durgä (dhümrä), She is Lord Çiva's beloved (çaivä), She gives devotion to Lord Çiva (çiva-bhakti-dä), She is the true form of Çiva‘s Çakti (çiva-çakti-svarüpä), and She enjoys pastimes as the beloved who is half the body of Lord Çiva (çivärdhäìga-vihäriëé), She is the Goddess Gangä (gangä and gangä-jalamayé), She is said to be the Ganges (gangeritä), She of the mountains (parvatädhiniväsä), Her form is that of Durgä-devé (dugra-rüpä), when She sits on Lord Çiva's lap (çiva-kroòä), She is Goddess Pärvaté (haimavaté), She resides in Kailäsa (kailäsa-väsiné), She wears a garland of skulls (kapäla-mäliné), the beloved of Lord Çeña, king of snakes (nägendrä), the mother of the snakes (näga-mätä), Lord Çiva's life and soul (hara-präëä and çiva-präëä), and Lord Çiva's companion (çivänvitä), She is Draupadé (draupadé), who is dear to the Päëòavas (päëòava-priyä), She is Pärvaté (kailäsiné), Her form is that of Raudra's beloved (raudra-rüpä), She is the beloved of Lord Çiva, who wears a deerskin (kåñëasära-carma-dharä), She is dear to Kuvera's master, Lord Çiva (kuvereçvara-vallabhä), She is the other half of Lord Viñëu, Lord Çiva, and Lord Brahmä (brahma-viñëu-çivärdhäìga-häriëé). She is Lord Çiva's beloved (çaiva-çiàsapä).

Don't you see? There are no 'demigoddesses'. They are all forms of Radha. You don't dispute that Lakshmi is a form of Radha, so why do you dispute that Parvati is, or that Saraswati is?

Why can't you guys appreciate this beautiful story coming from the Srimad Bhagavatam? Of course this story is not complete. This goes on to talk about the appearance of Lord Kapil, who is famous for instructing His mother so she wouldn't go astray on the path of devotional service. But then again you guys don't care for Lord Kapil or His instructions, do you?