IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
vraja1

offering food to Krsna

Rate this topic

by cbrahma:

These complications conditions and exceptions are not just impractical they portray God as a small-minded petty policeman who's offended by trivia

Your statement is scrambled. God is in the details!

There is certainly Some-one who is a

"small-minded petty policeman who's offended by trivia" --we'll just all have to search out where in endless time and space this some-one may be found.

Tune-in, turn-on, be significant or bust.

The Devil is in the details.

For 25 years I have known the phrase:

"GOD IS IN THE DETAILS"

But recently I have been hearing:

"The DEVIL is in the details"

So, Buckaroo,

Here the problem with the use of this version of this maxim, "The Devil is in the details" is:

It purports to say that the speaker is aware of the sensibilties of the Devil's work acumen and that we are beholding to his methods.

On the other hand, the phrase, "The Devil is in the details" is to convey the responsibilities of thoughtful persons to aspire to correct faulty details before presenting them to God's service, aka, Krishna's astonishment.

Remember:

1) "Asuras" (demons) are best defined & most famous as:

Chaos-makers par excellence. Asuras create havoc and nothing more.

Every piece of trash in the street outside your home is discarded by asuras in-training.

Everyone else is simply lusty rascaldom-ites seizing more than their allotment of Call-girls and strippers etc.

2) Western culture does not actually have such a definition of "demons" except for Frankenstein-like novelas & Greek mythology. The Vedic Histories define in many various ways the constitution of Demons. Well, I guess, we do see demons in the Newspapers filling prisons in Brazil, Central-America & Russia with the worst of the worst --but they do fit the description above as a societal Chaos-makers.

vraja1 said:

Am I implicated in cow slaughter if I buy fruit from a farmer who owns a slaughterhouse?

Well yes. Of course you are imp[licated with a portion of residual dividends of ugra-karma [irregardless of the end purpose]. That is why ekadasi fasting is done.

The Bhagavatam explains this karmic connection that occurs to 3rd and 4th and 5th etc Parties-to-an-action.

And yes, Krishna explains in the Gita how we must preform occupational dharma fearlessly and with confidence --"but there is danger at every step in the material world".

---------------------------

vraja1 said:

Krsna doesn't accept carrots, so no matter what you are implicated in a karmic reaction if you eat them ...

Oh, this is mis-spoken: In formal Temple Pujari work: there is a prescribed/traditional menu of food stuffs that have been on the menu since time immemorial --coincidentally it was always local farms that supplied such foodstuffs for the mandira.

This is also mis-spoken: Foods such as carrots, mushrooms, onions, and garlic are avoided because of the most basic rules yoga: to control lusty & passionate inflamation; along with the advisement of ayur-vedic recommendations. There is no ugra karma for eating garlic [which I do not eat] --there is just the worry of tamistic results and of course the residual ugra-karma from eating it served at a meat selling establishment, akin to buying milk products.

The rules for offering foodstuffs to Krishna before eating are established and meant to be followed to perfection by orthodox temple residents --householders are free to best they can. Or the best that their spouse will settle for.

Any food which is not offered to the Lord or not accepted by the Lord has karma attached to it, as is any action that we perform without offering it to the Lord. To move towards the transcendental platform, one must try to offer all of their actions to the Lord to free themselves from karma. Therefore, any food which Krsna does not accept has a karmic reaction.

After Prabhupada's departure, ISKCON changed the way ekadasi was calculated. Thus, everyone who fasts by the ISKCON calendar is fasting on the wrong date and receiving the same karma as eating cows meat every time they eat grains on the real ekadasi.

So tofu is not offer-able? Red-lentles are not offer-able? --For your edification, these two "foods" have too high a protein level for Brahmanas.

Tell your Guru that you are asmart-ass disciple of theirs who is one of the most expert Offender of Maha-Bhagavatas, ie: A.C. BHaktivedanta Swami", also tell this guru of yours that such disciples are priceless. Also inform your guru of you skills in pontificating about the worthlessness of "International Society for Krishna-Consciousness"

Ask your Guru what the fate of a fallen Sannyas should be?

Why copy my entire posting, without addressing any of my points? Too Busy?

Ekadasi calculations are to correct the date as the lunar cycle cooresponds to the western continents 12,000 kilometers away from the GMT of India's time zone.

Otherwise, there never need be any calculation of when ekadasi occurs --check your local Newsprint, it will show the cycles of the moon [Waking and Waning, used by mariners inre to tides] --simply count to the eleventh-day after each of the two monthly Full-Moons for "eka-dasi(s)" [eka + dasa = 11].

ISKCON seeks to establish the Standard of measure for all such things Vedic. Please avoid chaos in your postings.

Tell you Guru to avoid chaos makers in his disciples.

yours in Krishna's service,

Bhaktajan

PS:

Hey vraja,

Before chanting Hare Krishna Maha-Mantra, Do you chant?:

Jai çré-kåñëa-caitanya

prabhu-nityänanda

çré-advaita gadädhara

çréväsädi-gaura-bhakta-vånda

If you do then YOU ARE PART of International Society for Krishna

Consciousness. So be on your best behavior or others will think ill of people like your good self.

Any food which is not offered to the Lord or not accepted by the Lord has karma attached to it, as is any action that we perform without offering it to the Lord. To move towards the transcendental platform, one must try to offer all of their actions to the Lord to free themselves from karma. Therefore, any food which Krsna does not accept has a karmic reaction.

After Prabhupada's departure, ISKCON changed the way ekadasi was calculated. Thus, everyone who fasts by the ISKCON calendar is fasting on the wrong date and receiving the same karma as eating cows meat every time they eat grains on the real ekadasi.

OMG Vraja. You have no idea what a hole you are digging for yourself. I am with cbrahma on this. Try as you might friend you will never establish a holy heart by adding more rules to follow.

People who don't kill cows for their meat leather or milk can accidently eat grains on ekadasi and receive the same karma that is dished out to those who kill cows. YOU are the cow killer here and justify it by your little rituals and therefore consider yourself sinless even though a compassionate heart woulkd see the plight of the cows and boycott the dairy industry karma or no karma.

A Passage from the Bible comes to mind. I hope no one will be offended. "The righteous of man is but filthy rags before the Lord."

Just a refresher:

According to Manu, . . . in the act of killing an animal,

there is a regular conspiracy by the party of sinners,

and all of them are liable to be punished as murderers exactly like

a party of conspirators who kill a human being combinedly.

He who gives permission,

he who kills the animal,

he who sells the slaughtered animal,

he who cooks the animal,

he who administers distribution of the foodstuff,

and at last he who eats such cooked animal food are all murderers,

and all of them are liable to be punished by the laws of nature.

No one can create a living being despite all advancement of material science, and therefore

no one has the right to kill a living being by one’s independent whims. . . . [sB 1.7.37P]

OMG Vraja. You have no idea what a hole you are digging for yourself. I am with cbrahma on this. Try as you might friend you will never establish a holy heart by adding more rules to follow.

People who don't kill cows for their meat leather or milk can accidently eat grains on ekadasi and receive the same karma that is dished out to those who kill cows. YOU are the cow killer here and justify it by your little rituals and therefore consider yourself sinless even though a compassionate heart woulkd see the plight of the cows and boycott the dairy industry karma or no karma.

A Passage from the Bible comes to mind. I hope no one will be offended. "The righteous of man is but filthy rags before the Lord."

If one is participating in cow-slaughter by drinking commercial milk, then why did Prabhupada encourage people to drink milk, knowing that many of his followers would probably end up buying milk from the commercial milk industry?

Those who own the cows and those who buy meat or leather from them are the cow killers. My action does not lead to the slaughter of cows. It is the buying of meat which does that. The cow is going to be killed anyway, because people are still buying meat. Me not buying their milk isn't going to save a single cow.

I understand your viewpoint, and I think it is well intentioned because I used to be a vegan, but I don't agree with it.

Do we also have to avoid buying vegetables, clothes, gas and everything else in society because those who we give our money to turn around and buy hamburgers with them?

Yes, Yes and YES!--That is life. It's full of bad-Karma & danger at every step.

After a perfect observance of an ekadasi fast --you will be a clean slate ready to be filled all over again.

OH MY, what a hassle to live in the material world, isn't it?

If one is sinning by drinking commercial milk, then why did Prabhupada encourage people to drink milk, knowing that his followers would end up buying milk from the commercial milk industry?

Why invoke Prabhupada's name now and reject what he taught about other things to offer.?

More is known now about how the commercial dairy industry works and what a grossly contaminated products commercial milk is. From hormones and pus to vit d from fish whatb to speak of the FACT that it is a product from enslaved and ill treated cows who will be sold for slaughter to meat producers and whose male calves are sent to be killed for veal as soon as they are born.

Those who own the cows are the cow killers. I am just getting milk from them. My action does not lead to the slaughter of cows.

Yes it does. Those cows are not protected and are ill-treated and soon to be slaughtered just as soon as they are unable to provide YOU with enough milk to make their continued existence profitable. There male calves are sold for veal immediately (within a few days) of their birth. YOU support these people...they work for you. The dairy industry is really just another arm of the slaughter industry

My action does not lead to the slaughter of cows.It is the buying of meat which does that.The cow is going to be killed anyway, because people are still buying meat. Me not buying their milk isn't going to save a single cow.

If you bought your milk from protected cows then that would mean that much less $ for the cow killers. You support them with you purchase which is really not only a purchase but it is an order for more of the same.

The cow is going to be killed anyway, because people are still buying meat. Me not buying their milk isn't going to save a single cow.

Further one could say the cows are going to die anyway so what is the difference if we kill them now? you can juggle words endlessly to avoid looking a the truth.

The truth is you support, WITH KRISHNA'S LAXMI, and industry which tortures and slaughters cows. The fact that some portion of that industry keeps cows alive long enough to drain their milk supply is hardly a justification for supporting their work.

And you preach all the people who follow an Iskcon calender and "miss the true ekadasi" are going to punished as cow killers!!!!

Do we also have to avoid buying vegetables, clothes, gas and everything else in society because those who we give our money to turn around and buy hamburgers with them?

I used to avoid buying vegetables from stores that also sold meat and I would again if I could find such a place where I live. karmic reaction is not the consideration, the cows welfare is. Ideally devotees should circulate $ back and forth within the devotee community as mch as possible.

Just for the record, I do not buy products such as leather or soap made from slaughtered animals.

This nullifies your previous rationalization that buying milk doesn't kill cows because they will be killed for the meat anyway. So under the same reasoning why not use leather and soap?

You should add commercial milk to the list along with leather and soap to remain consistent.

Actually, I wish I would had never started this thread. I really didn't intend to get into a big argument.

I am sure you do. You were expecting universal approval of your beliefs and instead you have been taken outside your comfort zone and are being asked to do some serious soul-searching as they say on some of your own practices.

It's uncomfortable but it is a good thing to be challenged in our beliefs. It either strenthens us when we are right or helps us get rid of some baggage we don't need to carry anymore.

Why invoke Prabhupada's name now and reject what he taught about other things to offer.?

More is known now about how the commercial dairy industry works and what a grossly contaminated products commercial milk is. From hormones and pus to vit d from fish whatb to speak of the FACT that it is a product from enslaved and ill treated cows who will be sold for slaughter to meat producers and whose male calves are sent to be killed for veal as soon as they are born.

Yes it does. Those cows are not protected and are ill-treated and soon to be slaughtered just as soon as they are unable to provide YOU with enough milk to make their continued existence profitable. There male calves are sold for veal immediately (within a few days) of their birth. YOU support these people...they work for you. The dairy industry is really just another arm of the slaughter industry

If you bought your milk from protected cows then that would mean that much less $ for the cow killers. You support them with you purchase which is really not only a purchase but it is an order for more of the same.

Further one could say the cows are going to die anyway so what is the difference if we kill them now? you can juggle words endlessly to avoid looking a the truth.

The truth is you support, WITH KRISHNA'S LAXMI, and industry which tortures and slaughters cows. The fact that some portion of that industry keeps cows alive long enough to drain their milk supply is hardly a justification for supporting their work.

And you preach all the people who follow an Iskcon calender and "miss the true ekadasi" are going to punished as cow killers!!!!

I used to avoid buying vegetables from stores that also sold meat and I would again if I could find such a place where I live. karmic reaction is not the consideration, the cows welfare is. Ideally devotees should circulate $ back and forth within the devotee community as mch as possible.

This nullifies your previous rationalization that buying milk doesn't kill cows because they will be killed for the meat anyway. So under the same reasoning why not use leather and soap?

You should add commercial milk to the list along with leather and soap to remain consistent.

I am sure you do. You were expecting universal approval of your beliefs and instead you have been taken outside your comfort zone and are being asked to do some serious soul-searching as they say on some of your own practices.

It's uncomfortable but it is a good thing to be challenged in our beliefs. It either strenthens us when we are right or helps us get rid of some baggage we don't need to carry anymore.

Thank you for challenging me. I am done arguing.

I thought that I would let this topic go, but after some careful consideration I have decided to continue with the discussion.

Theist, I am not posting this to argue with you further, because I know you are convinced. If I would have stopped this discussion where I did, it would have looked like I had accepted that I was guilty of cow slaughter and I cannot do that. Mainly I am restating my points to clarify to others who may read this thread why it is okay to drink milk.

I realize that you may think that I have no right to use Prabhupada's name to defend my viewpoints, especially because I disagree with ISKCON on varna, which is the real reason that people are against me. But, nevertheless, the Spiritual Master's authorization to take milk products will prevail over any perceived notion that people who use milk products are guilty of cow slaughter. Prabhupada must have known that many of his followers would use commercial milk, after him encouraging them to drink milk. If the user of commercial milk were guilty for what the owners did to the cows, then why didn't Prabhupada explicity state that one must not drink commercial milk? As far as I know, Prabhupada didn't say this.

The vegan viewpoint does seem to make sense. But not everything that seems true is true.

It is good to be challenged, provided that the challenger is correct and the challenged is willing to change. But why am I the only one who must be challenged?

But why am I the only one who must be challenged?

I can assure you you are not the only one to be challenged on this and everyone feels defensive on this point just as you have.

Consider this. The idea of cow protection is very prominent in all GV teachings. That we can agree on. It is extremely clear and undeniable that commercial dairy cows are NOT in any sense of the word protected. The fact is they are locked into the slaughter for meat industry juwt like all the other cows in factory farming the only difference is their throats will be cut after their milk production starts to fall off.

So commercial milk drinkers are engaged in quite the opposite of cow protection. You cannot deny that. You try to justify it yes but you cannot deny it. That should tell you something right there.

Yes Prabhupada allowed commercial milk consumption but at the same time tried to start self sufficent communities where the milk would be received from cows who are loved and protected for life.

It's been 40years and there maybe one or two small successes in this regard but the farms were supposed to eventually supply all the temples with milk from protected cows.`

Times up!

Personally I think the emphasis on milk products is greatly over blown in Indian culture because their culture was totally dependent on the cow in so many ways. I wish Prabhupada had emphasised the need to boycot commerial milk right from the start but he didn't.

But this is on you and your conscience. The fact is the present commercial milk is not fit to drink by anyone. Devotees call this stuff brain food and essential for spiritual development and I like to point out that everyone in America is literally gourging themselves on commercial milk and I don't see much in the way of spiritual intelligence from my countrymen.

Cow protection is the real thing. It is more important than commercial milk consumption.

Drink cows milk from protected cows or drink none at all is my position and the position of many others.

Hello My Name is Bhaktajan and I am a Milk-aholic.

redir?src=image&requestId=b8fd10e6035ba042&userQuery=milk+mustaches&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cafehistoria.net%2Fphotos%2Funcategorized%2F2008%2F04%2F21%2Fbanana_ad_2.jpg&moduleId=image_details.jsp.M&clickedItemDescription=Image Details

But now I think Ya got trouble, folks, right here in River City

with a capital 'T' and that rhymes with 'P' and that stands for 'pool' your resourses or else.

Yes a thanksgiving is one thing - but all this 'Vedic brahamana' stuff just about covinces me that being devotee in that traditional sense is a religious impossibility in a Western workaday world.

I tend to agree with this. Maybe eventually the west really will be inundated with Krishna Consciousness and everyone will be milking cows and living in temples. Until that time it seems from a Vedic perspective anyway things are in such an emergency situation you have to do the best you practically can in a difficult environment. I think it is going to take a massive paradigm shift for perfect brahmanism to even become remotely possible and it would take a true class of ksaitras to defend the brahmanas from being overrun by deviants of all sorts wether they be homosexual gurus or politicians etc.

TRANSLATION Bg 9.26

If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it.

PURPORT

For the intelligent person, it is essential to be in Krishna consciousness, engaged in the transcendental loving service of the Lord, in order to achieve a permanent, blissful abode for eternal happiness. The process of achieving such a marvelous result is very easy and can be attempted even by the poorest of the poor, without any kind of qualification. The only qualification required in this connection is to be a pure devotee of the Lord. It does not matter what one is or where one is situated. The process is so easy that even a leaf or a little water or fruit can be offered to the Supreme Lord in genuine love and the Lord will be pleased to accept it. No one, therefore, can be barred from Krishna consciousness, because it is so easy and universal. Who is such a fool that he does not want to be Krishna conscious by this simple method and thus attain the highest perfectional life of eternity, bliss and knowledge? Krishna wants only loving service and nothing more. Krishna accepts even a little flower from His pure devotee. He does not want any kind of offering from a nondevotee. He is not in need of anything from anyone, because He is self-sufficient, and yet He accepts the offering of His devotee in an exchange of love and affection. To develop Krishna consciousness is the highest perfection of life. Bhakti is mentioned twice in this verse in order to declare more emphatically that bhakti, or devotional service, is the only means to approach Krishna. No other condition, such as becoming a brahmana, a learned scholar, a very rich man or a great philosopher, can induce Krishna to accept some offering. Without the basic principle of bhakti, nothing can induce the Lord to agree to accept anything from anyone. Bhakti is never causal. The process is eternal. It is direct action in service to the absolute whole.

Here Lord Krishna, having established that He is the only enjoyer, the primeval Lord and the real object of all sacrificial offerings, reveals what types of sacrifices He desires to be offered. If one wishes to engage in devotional service to the Supreme in order to be purified and to reach the goal of life—the transcendental loving service of God—then one should find out what the Lord desires of him. One who loves Krishna will give Him whatever He wants, and he avoids offering anything which is undesirable or unasked. Thus meat, fish and eggs should not be offered to Krishna. If He desired such things as offerings, He would have said so. Instead He clearly requests that a leaf, fruit, flowers and water be given to Him, and He says of this offering, "I will accept it." Therefore, we should understand that He will not accept meat, fish and eggs. Vegetables, grains, fruits, milk and water are the proper foods for human beings and are prescribed by Lord Krishna Himself. Whatever else we eat cannot be offered to Him, since He will not accept it. Thus we cannot be acting on the level of loving devotion if we offer such foods.

In the Third Chapter, verse thirteen, Sri Krishna explains that only the remains of sacrifice are purified and fit for consumption by those who are seeking advancement in life and release from the clutches of the material entanglement. Those who do not make an offering of their food, He says in the same verse, are eating only sin. In other words, their every mouthful is simply deepening their involvement in the complexities of material nature. But preparing nice, simple vegetable dishes, offering them before the picture or Deity of Lord Krishna and bowing down and praying for Him to accept such a humble offering enables one to advance steadily in life, to purify the body, and to create fine brain tissues which will lead to clear thinking. Above all, the offering should be made with an attitude of love. Krishna has no need of food, since He already possesses everything that be, yet He will accept the offering of one who desires to please Him in that way. The important element, in preparation, in serving and in offering, is to act with love for Krishna.

The impersonalist philosophers, who wish to maintain that the Absolute Truth is without senses, cannot comprehend this verse of Bhagavad-gita. To them, it is either a metaphor or proof of the mundane character of Krishna, the speaker of the Bhagavad-gita. But, in actuality, Krishna, the Supreme Godhead, has senses, and it is stated that His senses are interchangeable; in other words, one sense can perform the function of any other. This is what it means to say that Krishna is absolute. Lacking senses, He could hardly be considered full in all opulences. In the Seventh Chapter, Krishna has explained that He impregnates the living entities into material nature. This is done by His looking upon material nature. And so in this instance, Krishna's hearing the devotee's words of love in offering foodstuffs is wholly identical with His eating and actually tasting. This point should be emphasized: because of His absolute position, His hearing is wholly identical with His eating and tasting. Only the devotee, who accepts Krishna as He describes Himself, without interpretation, can understand that the Supreme Absolute Truth can eat food and enjoy it.

"To develop Krishna consciousness is the highest perfection of life. Bhakti is mentioned twice in this verse in order to declare more emphatically that bhakti, or devotional service, is the only means to approach Krishna. No other condition, such as becoming a brahmana, a learned scholar, a very rich man or a great philosopher, can induce Krishna to accept some offering. Without the basic principle of bhakti, nothing can induce the Lord to agree to accept anything from anyone"

Wow. :)

So it seems that to follow a vast array of rules does not guaruntee the offering will be accepted. Of course we must remember that following all these various rules is not a disqualification either. It may be of great benefit for those whose nature it is to go in that direction. IT takes great discipline of mind to maintain.

Those of us who are not so attracted to complicated formuleas and details can take shelter of this verse as long as we offer with love Krishna will also accept our offerings.

So it seems that to follow a vast array of rules does not guaruntee the offering will be accepted. Of course we must remember that following all these various rules is not a disqualification either. It may be of great benefit for those whose nature it is to go in that direction. IT takes great discipline of mind to maintain.

Those of us who are not so attracted to complicated formuleas and details can take shelter of this verse as long as we offer with love Krishna will also accept our offerings.

No doubt it takes great discipline. I take my hat off to anyone that has the discipline to maintain perfectly the brahmanical standards. :smash:

Thank You Theistji... this point I was trying to convey to Cbrahma about adding love/bhakti. Thank You also for pointing out the part about discipline.

So no more excuses. IF you can make time to prepare food than you can take few minutes to offer the bhoga (with love and devotion). All you need to do is keep a special plate a few bowls spoon, fork, a piece of sponge and cloth seperate for cleaning the utensils.

I think you can do this for a special person who has given you sooo much. Take this simple method if it is the only bhakti you can perform.

This effort/Bhakti will not go invane. That is promise given by Lord Krsna in the Bhagawat Gita.

What have you got to loose?

Hare Krsna/Krishna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

I am certainly no example. I am caught up in a sort of neutral zone. I chant Sri Vishnu Sri Vishnu Sri Vishnu before eating....usually. Sometimes I just stuff my mouth like an animal and then remember Krishna sometime in the process.:o

On occasion I will make an effort to chant mindfully remembering and acknowledging my complete dependence on the Supreme Lord and my appreciation for His kindness in maintaining me. There is no devotion in what I do. There is some slight remeberance to work on and deepen. Santa rasa appeals to me more in that I can experience liberation from samsara which is my #1 concern at this time. Perhaps if I can get stablized on that platform at some distant time I will get some attraction for service.

I say we should all worry about ouselves before pointing out faults in others. :)

How is everyone doing here on Spiritual Discussions by the way? Long time no talk.

Welcome back:) From my side still struggling with the ups & down But carrying on the best way I can

You are absolutely correct about fault finding. But sometimes we tend to reflect the nonsense/rascaldom inside ourselves and see in others what actually is inside ourselves.;) So in a way it could also be a way of talking about our own shortcomings.:P

Just something to think about.

Hare Krsna/Krishna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

Nice realization Yogesh. I really believe what you say is the truth. The problem is remembering this truth as it is happening.

We must stalk the mind relentlessly or else like a wild beast it will devour us. Subdue or be subdued.

How is everyone doing here on Spiritual Discussions by the way? Long time no talk. by indu

Welcome back:) From my side still struggling with the ups & down But carrying on the best way I can by yogesh

Much the same as Yogesh....(up and down) but grateful when I pick up the mala.