IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Tirisilex

Bhakti = Metta Meditation

Rate this topic

Been looking around in Buddhism again and found Metta Meditation.. A good guide for practicing Bhakti..

http://www.geocities.com/tokyo/6774/metta.htm

This is from Metta Meditation:

Think of yourself as your own best friend; the one you can rely on to help you, to make you happy, to know what is best for you, who loves you. Feel yourself embraced by that friendship.

This is from Srila Sridhar Maharaj's devotional (bhakti) Bhagavad Gita:

And I am the well-wisher of all I am Krsna, the devotees'

most adorable friend. The soul who thus knows My true identity attains the ecstasy of knowing his own original divine identity.

Our minds can be our best friend also, if it becomes convinced to surrender to Krsna by reading real bhakti literature. Metta meditation devotees believe that we are our own best friend for they have no real information

about the supreme personality of godhead, Sri Krsna.

I don't know where you got this information.. But Metta Meditation is about generating Loving Kindness..

The Metta Sutra

This is what should be done

By one who is skilled in goodness,

And who seeks the path of peace:

Let them be able and upright,

Straightforward and gentle in speech.

Humble and not conceited,

Contented and easily satisfied.

Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways.

Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful,

Not proud and demanding in nature.

Let them not do the slightest thing

That the wise would later reprove.

Wishing: In gladness and in safety,

May all beings be at ease.

Whatever living beings there may be;

Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none,

The great or the mighty, medium, short or small,

The seen and the unseen,

Those living near and far away,

Those born and to-be-born,

May all beings be at ease! Let none deceive another,

Or despise any being in any state.

Let none through anger or ill-will

Wish harm upon another.

Even as a mother protects with her life

Her child, her only child,

So with a boundless heart

Should one cherish all living beings:

Radiating kindness over the entire world

Spreading upwards to the skies,

And downwards to the depths;

Outwards and unbounded,

Freed from hatred and ill-will.

Whether standing or walking, seated or lying down

Free from drowsiness,

One should sustain this recollection.

This is said to be the sublime abiding.

By not holding to fixed views,

The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision,

Being freed from all sense desires,

Is not born again into this world.

This is from Metta Meditation:

This is from Srila Sridhar Maharaj's devotional (bhakti) Bhagavad Gita:

Our minds can be our best friend also, if it becomes convinced to surrender to Krsna by reading real bhakti literature. Metta meditation devotees believe that we are our own best friend for they have no real information

about the supreme personality of godhead, Sri Krsna.

Buddhists feel peace isn't possible in a state of fear, and therefore view dependence on other entities (like Krishna) as active causes of fear. This is why they shun dependence, even the dependence on the so-called self (they believe in no-self, anatta).

Buddhists feel peace isn't possible in a state of fear, and therefore view dependence on other entities (like Krishna) as active causes of fear. This is why they shun dependence, even the dependence on the so-called self (they believe in no-self, anatta).

Actually, not all Buddhists believe in anatta in the literal sense. Most Mahayana Buddhists think that there just isn't a 'seperate Self', and that we're all united in one Self. Mahayana Buddhists also don't shun dependence. They depend heavily on the mercy of the Bodhisattvas and often pray for their mercy.

Most Mahayana Buddhists think that there just isn't a 'seperate Self', and that we're all united in one Self. by radhey

So fear develops in this seperate consciousness. It's interesting that modern science is pointing to matter as an 'integral organic unit', rather than seperate units.

It must be a fearful experience for some, to begin to realize the inter-connectedness of the organism, after identifying as the seperate illusory self for so long. There seems to be much benefit for the organism to contemplate on Tirisilex's post:

The Metta Sutra

This is what should be done

By one who is skilled in goodness,

And who seeks the path of peace:

Let them be able and upright,

Straightforward and gentle in speech.

Humble and not conceited,

Contented and easily satisfied.

Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways.

Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful,

Not proud and demanding in nature.

Let them not do the slightest thing

That the wise would later reprove.

Wishing: In gladness and in safety,

May all beings be at ease.

Whatever living beings there may be;

Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none,

The great or the mighty, medium, short or small,

The seen and the unseen,

Those living near and far away,

Those born and to-be-born,

May all beings be at ease! Let none deceive another,

Or despise any being in any state.

Let none through anger or ill-will

Wish harm upon another.

Even as a mother protects with her life

Her child, her only child,

So with a boundless heart

Should one cherish all living beings:

Radiating kindness over the entire world

Spreading upwards to the skies,

And downwards to the depths;

Outwards and unbounded,

Freed from hatred and ill-will.

Whether standing or walking, seated or lying down

Free from drowsiness,

One should sustain this recollection.

This is said to be the sublime abiding.

By not holding to fixed views,

The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision,

Being freed from all sense desires,

Is not born again into this world.

Actually, not all Buddhists believe in anatta in the literal sense. Most Mahayana Buddhists think that there just isn't a 'seperate Self', and that we're all united in one Self. Mahayana Buddhists also don't shun dependence. They depend heavily on the mercy of the Bodhisattvas and often pray for their mercy.

All Buddhists believe in anatta in the literal sense, or they wouldn't be buddhists. It's the central principle in their religion, kinda like there's no vaishnavism without Vishnu.:) And they view everything else, including bodhisatvas, as a means to an end, unlike theists who view their god as the means as well as the end.

Hence, buddhists claim their so-called dependence exists so long as ignorance exists, and not further. Vaishnavas, on the other hand, depend on Vishnu for all time, and this creates fear and a slavish mentality; or so the buddhists claim.;)

The whole concept Bhakti revolves round Bhakta and Bhagvan. The rest I'll leave it to you to ponder about.

You are all intelligent enough to know where to use this beautiful term.

All Buddhists believe in anatta in the literal sense, or they wouldn't be buddhists.

You clearly haven't studied Mahayana Buddhism in depth, or you would know that they do believe in a self, just not a seperate self. It's often explained as 'the wave is nondifferent from the water'. They think that, just as there are many waves but they're all really of the same substance and really only form one unit in the end, there appear to be many creatures, but each is really interconnected with everything else.

Good point Radhey. The Mahayana tradition is different than the Hinayana (which points to non-self and a need to leave this world).

The Mahayana as far as I understand chooses to find peace while living fully in this world. And that inter-connection you are pointing to in your post is the key how to live that way. Infact modern science such as physics and some forms of psychology such as trans-personal psychology seem to speak of this inter-connectdness very clearly and scientifically. Most thoughtful people can surely see the validity of this way of vision even if not realized in it.

Many eastern traditions are purely transcendental and aspire to leave this miserable world. These days I dont know if I fully accept that fundamnetal way of thinking in my personal realizations. There seems to be 3 things appearing in my consciousness. Small glimpses of the transcendental personage Sri Krsna (an alternate living reality), a vision of brahman, and a vision of brahman pervading this material world of objects.

Personally I am finding an integral philosophy unfolding in my heart, which seeks to relish God's presence in all waves of energetic being (all three levels). I appreciate the Mahayana view of inter-connectedness very much and also its way of living fully in this world with deep clear minded presence. I perceive that inter-connectedness in day to day psychic/spiritual living and sensitivities to some degree. It is not theory for me, it is reality.

For me God is all things, even this material energy. (All things). A transcendent being who is not aloof (but instead in full control of lower frequency energies). For me the transcendent realm of Sri Krsna is totally real substance within the realm of my citta (mind/heart), and seems to come down and prevade my conscious awareness which is in contact with matter simultaneously. So it feels like I am living in three different states of being (awareness) which are integrated into one. I must choose now if I which to receive more of Sri Krsna's realm and world (through cultivation).

The world has become sacred, and with pure spiritual intent and non-violence, can become God's potential canvass (painting) of love.:pray: A sacred ground for bhakti on all levels of relation. Even the mundane (in some inconceivable way).

On a side note: I am interested in art and patterns. The human mind seems to relish patterns. Young children make patterns with crayon and pens. Adolescents draw more complex patterns. These patterns seem to reflect the cosmic pattern which is indescribable in fullness. Energies of God intertwined and integrated in unlimited beautiful patterns. As the Mahayana tradition says - inter-connected. We are living within this cosmic energy pattern and seperateness is temporary, inter-connectedness is reality. A great realm of personality and potential lila.

Bhagavad Gita chapter 11

TEXT 53 - click for link and purport

nāhaṁ vedair na tapasā

na dānena na cejyayā

śakya evaṁ-vidho draṣṭuṁ

dṛṣṭavān asi māṁ yathā

TRANSLATION

The form which you are seeing with your transcendental eyes cannot be understood simply by studying the Vedas, nor by undergoing serious penances, nor by charity, nor by worship. It is not by these means that one can see Me as I am.

TEXT 54 click for link and purport

bhaktyā tv ananyayā śakya

aham evaṁ-vidho ’rjuna

jñātuṁ draṣṭuṁ ca tattvena

praveṣṭuṁ ca parantapa

TRANSLATION

My dear Arjuna, only by undivided devotional service can I be understood as I am, standing before you, and can thus be seen directly. Only in this way can you enter into the mysteries of My understanding.

For me bhakti is the ultimate path to self realization. Why? Reciprocal love on all levels culminating in love of summum bonum (all things). And hopefully oneday intimate personal relationship with Sri Krsna and his confidential associates (source of bliss).

The individual is a tiny particle of spirit. But when he is

imprisoned in the gross and subtle material body, he becomes

bewildered and thinks, "I am this gross and subtle material body."

Thus he misunderstands his true identity. "Misunderstanding" is

the only definition of 'vivarta' given in the Vedas. Someone may

think, "I am Raghunatha Bhattacarya, the son of Sanatana

Bhattacarya", and someone else may think, "I am Sadhu Candala, the

son of Vise Candala". In this way the intelligence becomes

bewildered. Both of those persons are individual souls, tiny

particles of spirit. They are not Raghunatha Bhattacarya and Sadhu

Candala. Still, they are bewildered and they think they are

identical with the material body. To mistake a rope for a snake or

the glistening on a seashell's surface for silver are other

examples of misunderstandings (vivartas). By all these examples

the Vedas teach that one should throw far away the idea that he is

identical with the material body. The mayavadis (impersonalists),

however, reject this proper use of the word 'vivarta' and teach a

funny theory they called 'vivarta-vada'. They say that the idea "I

am the Supreme" is the true idea, and the misconception, or

vivarta, is the idea "I am an individual spirit soul". By

accepting this kind of ''vivarta-vada" one will not understand what

is the actual truth. The true vivarta-vada does not at all

contradict the sakti-parinama-vada. On the other hand, the

mayavadis (impersonalists') vivarta-vada is only an object of

laughter. The mayavadis' vivarta-vada is of three kinds: 1. the

soul is really Brahman but he becomes bewildered into thinking that

he is an individual soul, 2. the idea that the individual souls are

reflections of Brahman, and 3. the idea that Brahman takes a nap

and dreams that He has become the many individual souls. None of

these are the true vivarta-vada. The evidence of the Vedas refutes

them all.

Bhaktivinoda Thakura

Sri Jaiva-dharma

Volume Four

Yes cbrahma we are much more than this ego/body consciousness. And we are definately individual sparks of the whole. Many cannot understand this individuality as eternal, hey?:)

You clearly haven't studied Mahayana Buddhism in depth,

I have, which is why I am asking you to provide some references where the word 'atman' is used in the same way the hindus use it. Without anatta, there's no Buddhism, and that includes mahayana.