IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Svarupa

The Characteristics of a Spiritual Master

Rate this topic

Prabhupada6.jpg

The Characteristics of a Spiritual Master

Nayana-ranjana Das

The following is a summary of the characteristics of the spiritual master which are listed in Hari Bhakti Vilasa:

He should be knowledgeable of the Vedas and know the conclusions of

the scriptures.

He should be absorbed in worship of the Lord by chanting of the Lord's

name.

He should be peaceful, fully satisfied in activities of devotional

service.

He should have deep faith in the Lord.

He should exhibit all good qualities.

He should be intelligent, steady, austere, and truthful.

He should be sweet in speech, pleasant to look at, clean,

youthful-looking, wearing clean cloth.

He should be expert in conducting himself as a saintly person,

(sad-acara).

He should be expert at arguing with and defeating those opposed to

devotional service.

He should be an expert judge.

He should feel gratitude for services rendered to him.

He should be capable of both showing favor to and reprimanding

another person.

He should feel affection for his disciples.

He should always be anxious for the welfare of all living beings.

He should be completely free from envy, malice, violence, anger,

laziness, sinful activity.

The spiritual master should not possess the following characteristics:

He should not desire wealth, fame, or service from his disciples.

He should not have a desire for accumulating material objects.

He should not be attached to receiving things or hesitant to give

things.

He should not delay in making decisions, which must be made.

He should not eat too much.

He should not be prone to lying.

He should not be critical of the good qualities of others.

He should not absorb himself in talking about the sinful activities of

others.

He should not associate with low characters (people who take

intoxication and indulge in illicit sex or criminal activities).

He should not involve himself in useless philosophies and material

logic.

The following is a summary of the characteristics of a true disciple,

as found in Hari Bhakti Vilasa:

He should be truthful.

He should be gentle and polite.

He should be pleasing to look at.

He should be spotless in conduct.

He should be intelligent.

He should be in control of his senses.

He should show proper respect to elders, to initiated Vaisnavas and to

the Lord.

He should observe silence concerning material subjects.

He should have not attraction for committing sinful activities.

He should be desirous of knowing the absolute truth.

He should be devoted to the lotus feet of guru.

He should be engaged day and night in the Lord's service with body,

mind and words.

He should be fully capable of upholding vows made to the spiritual

master.

The true disciple should not possess the following characteristics:

He should not be lazy, lay back, secretive and aloof.

He should not be dirty, or sickly.

He should not be continually afflicted or lamenting.

He should not be angry, proud, or lusty.

He should not covet material desires.

He should not show the enjoying spirit.

He should not be miserly, malicious, devious, or envious.

He should not give pain to others or be addicted to cruel activities.

He should not use vulgar or coarse language.

He should not indulge in illicit sex.

He should not be constantly critical of others.

He should not earn his living by unjust means.

He should not be proud of material learning.

He should not be ignorant.

He should not indulge in other philosophies.

He should not be addicted to overeating.

He should not indulge in sinful activities such as taking meat,

intoxication, gambling or illicit sex.

The person who cannot give up his bad habits and cannot follow the instructions of guru is not qualified as a disciple.

Though a person may be devoid of the qualities mentioned above, if he is devoted to guru and the Supreme Lord, he can become purified and eventually become a suitable candidate for initiation through performance of devotional activities.

Yet... still a man!

Balance?

What about being capable of both sides just as any other man?

What about maybe having denned with the wolf; having seen the cruelty?

What about being of choice without needing acceptance in any purported styles of faith?

What if the man is just being true even without needing to fit a mold?

To Love existence with absolution does not mean that he will fit any description other than aboslute with integrity towards reality.

Compassion to mankind never had the word(s) vedas, sciptures, doctrine, or any single sect or cultural isolating requisite of belief or standard except one; represent truth.

The child born knows no standard other than compassion and like wise that Love is not confined to one set of beliefs or even to have the ability to 'walk on water' as the reality is.... anyone can ......... in a boat.

As for cooking like a beach going kid..... that was me as well thirty years back caring for guests, and not for the company but because I had and they did not, so like any caring student I gave what I could to any, and learned the lessons in between; the experiences of giving, to killing have been known... else who is aware but of opinion and judgment?

The pure are who can be true of every reflection; not to be accepted!

Yet... still a man!

Balance?

What about being capable of both sides just as any other man?

What about maybe having denned with the wolf; having seen the cruelty?

What about being of choice without needing acceptance in any purported styles of faith?

What if the man is just being true even without needing to fit a mold?

To Love existence with absolution does not mean that he will fit any description other than aboslute with integrity towards reality.

Compassion to mankind never had the word(s) vedas, sciptures, doctrine, or any single sect or cultural isolating requisite of belief or standard except one; represent truth.

The child born knows no standard other than compassion and like wise that Love is not confined to one set of beliefs or even to have the ability to 'walk on water' as the reality is.... anyone can ......... in a boat.

As for cooking like a beach going kid..... that was me as well thirty years back caring for guests, and not for the company but because I had and they did not, so like any caring student I gave what I could to any, and learned the lessons in between; the experiences of giving, to killing have been known... else who is aware but of opinion and judgment?

The pure are who can be true of every reflection; not to be accepted!

Acarya has to be a pure devotee, at least this should be clear.

Aksayananda: I was recently told by one devotee that the acarya does not have to be a pure devotee.

Prabhupada: What?

Aksayananda: That the acarya does not have to be a pure devotee.

Prabhupada: Who is that rascal?

Aksayananda: Well, he said it. Who said it?

Prabhupada: Who said? Who is that rascal? The acarya does not require to be a pure devotee?

Aksayananda: He said it. Nitai said it. He said it in this context. He said that Lord Brahma is the acarya in the Brahma-sampradaya, but yet he is sometimes afflicted by passion. So therefore he is saying that it appears that the acarya does not have to be a pure devotee. So it does not seem right.

Prabhupada: So who is that rascal? I want to know who has said.

Akṣayananda: Nitai. Nitai dasa.

Harikesa: Nitai said that?

Prabhupada: Who is Nitai dasa?

Harikesa: Our Nitai.

Aksayananda: Nitai.

Prabhupada: Oh, our Nitai? Oh.

Aksayananda: He said he couldn’t understand it, but he thought, he said that he thought…

Prabhupada: He manufactured his idea. Therefore he’s a rascal. Therefore he’s a rascal. Nitai has become an authority?

Aksayananda: No, actually he said that he thought…

Prabhupada: He thought something rascaldom, and he is expressing that. Therefore he is more rascal. These things are going on. As soon as he reads some books, he becomes an acarya, whatever rascal he may be.

Aksayananda: So there’s no doubt that Lord Brahma is a pure devotee?

Prabhupada: Whatever he may be, he is acarya. So you… Then Krsna is also passionate. Krsna is also passionate. Krsna danced with so many gopis; therefore He is passionate. They… These things are to be seen in this way, that “Such exalted person, he sometimes become passionate, so how much we shall be careful.” This is the instruction. Then we petty things, petty persons, how much we shall be careful. It is not that “Acarya has become passionate, therefore I shall become passionate. I am strict followers of acarya.” These rascals say.

Harisauri: So Lord Brahma’s being attracted to his daughter, that is just as an example…

Prabhupada: So why you discuss this? Therefore you shall be attracted with your daughter, mother? Do you think so, like that?

Aksayananda: No.

Indian man: In this world this is our disease. This is our disease.

Prabhupada: Yes. That disease… Brahma… Lord Siva also, he was attracted to the Mohini. So they are isvara. They are controllers. So the instruction is that even such personalities may be sexually attracted, so how much we shall remain careful. This is the instruction. [break] …like the other rascal. Who was saying that “Krsna was killed by a hunter; therefore hunter is greater than Krsna”?

Indian man: Raja Gopalacarya, he has written in Mahabharata that Krsna was killed by a hunter.

Prabhupada: Therefore the hunter is…

Indian man: “Krsna Passes Away,” the heading of his chapter.

Harikesa: You said about a couple of years ago that “What ordinary man would be killed if he was shot in the arrow by a heel,” I mean, “shot in the heel by an arrow?” No ordinary man dies that way.

Prabhupada: So who reads Raja Gopalac--rya’s Mahabharata? They are rotting at Bharatiya Vidyabhavan.

Akṣayananda: They’re rotting in the bookshelves and the insects are eating.

Indian man: But in Somanath… I went last year there when I was in Gujarat. The people, they don’t believe, the people of Somanath, that he was killed by… like that. So these philosophers, simply for their name, they put some kind of theories so that people can, “Oh!” They can understand all this nonsense.

Prabhupada: These pastimes of Krsna is to make the fools more fool. One who is thinking of Krsna as ordinary man, Krsna is playing this part to show them, “Yes, see. I am dying, this. You see.”

Indian man: What He said? Avajananti mam mudhaḥ.

Prabhupada: Muḍha janmani janmani [bg. 16.20]. He’ll remain mudha janmani janmani [bg. 16.20]. This is this pastime. Life after life, he shall remain a fool, rascal. So this Raja Gopalacarya and company, they’ll remain in darkness life after life. For them this pastime is there. Avajananti mam mudha manusim tanum asritaḥ: “The rascals, they think of Me as ordinary human being.” To such rascals, He is playing like: “Yes, you see I am ordinary human being. Just see. I am dying.” This is… To keep them life after life in darkness. If it is so easy to understand Krsna, that He is dying—Accha. “I have read it. I have seen. He has died.” Then what is the use of saying, manusyana sahasresu kascid yatati siddhaye yatatam api siddhanam [bg. 7.3]? Out of many millions of persons one can understand Krsna. Then what is the use of saying this? If it is so easy to understand Krsna, what He is doing, what for He is doing, then everyone could understand Krsna. Then what is the use of saying, manusyana sahasresu? This requires intelligence.

Indian man: Bahunam janmanam.

Prabhupada: Therefore Krsna says, tad viddhi pranipatena pariprasnena sevaya: [bg. 4.34] “One who knows, go and understand from them, from the guru.” Don’t make your interpretation, rascal. You shall remain always a rascal. Then what is the use of all these verses? If it is so easy to understand Krsna then why Krsna says, tad viddhi pranipatena pariprasnena sevaya: “Then you will understand. Go to the right person who has seen.”

Indian man: But the rascal philosophers, they have put in their book that you don’t need to go to a spiritual master. Like one lady, she is staying in our temple now. She is a life member from, I think from Kanpur. So I was discussing with her yesterday. She said that “Your devotees, they are forcing me,” that she should accept Srila Prabhupada as spiritual master. She said, “No. I know Krsna. I am reading Srimad-Bhagavatam.” And she told me that she has read in the book that one not need to go to spiritual master.

Prabhupada: But what she is? Why she is staying here? Huh? You have asked them to go? No?

Aksayananda: This is the first I have heard of it.

Morning Walk Conversation

with His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

December 10, 1975, Vrndavana

full morning walk: http://causelessmercy.com/t/t/751210mw.vrn.htm?i=main

Given that the absolute authoritarian control of one human being over another is a requirement for spiritual growth (a belief to which I do not and that is not evident in the Gita), then that human being MUST be perfect, infallible, god-like.

Given the proliferation of such self-proclaimed gurus in all Hindu communities ISKCON, Gaudiya Math, this Math and that Math, one is expected to believe that such perfection is not uncommon.

Given the voluminous record of evidence to the contrary, with fall downs infighting etc... the assumption of infallibility is usually preposterous.

The odds in this gamble, therefore are actually worse than a crap shoot.

Who needs it?

Given that the absolute authoritarian control of one human being over another is a requirement for spiritual growth (a belief to which I do not and that is not evident in the Gita), then that human being MUST be perfect, infallible, god-like.
Since born, we each are taught; even the first meal.

So in all cases since no memory is born to the mind, then perfection is impossible in today's world, since no perfect knowledge has ever existed in perfect form.

The only item of perfect 'good' is the intent of Love, or the choice of doing that which is 'good' (to support life).

Given the proliferation of such self-proclaimed gurus in all Hindu communities ISKCON, Gaudiya Math, this Math and that Math, one is expected to believe that such perfection is not uncommon.
A teacher on every corner and yet each practitioner will suggest 'their' guru is it! Opinions of men!

Given the voluminous record of evidence to the contrary, with fall downs infighting etc... the assumption of infallibility is usually preposterous.
an honest assessment.

The odds in this gamble, therefore are actually worse than a crap shoot.

Who needs it?

Sounds fair. As we all must recognize never in existence has a perfect man, teacher or believer ever existed upon this earth. So why seek one?

The best method of identifying a teacher is to identify them of integrity; the man/women who follows nothing but the Love of truth.

Them who give of themselves, with no need of return, no need of acceptance by men, but to share (reflect) what is true in all interaction.

That is crishna conscious!

As we all must recognize never in existence has a perfect man, teacher or believer ever existed upon this earth. So why seek one?

But this is your believe, your personal subjective opinion. There is no problem though if you accept this kind of understanding. But, you cannot say that the Vaishnavas are wrong when saying, no, there're lots of perfect acaryas in our sampradaya. When expecting that others should accept your believe, you have to also accept the Vaishnava understanding that there're perfect men.

It is very difficult to understand. Because Krsna says out of many millions of people, one is perfect, and out of many millions of perfect men, one can hardly understand Krsna. So it is very difficult to understand Krsna. But if one is fortunate, he can understand. How? Now, Krsna says, mattaḥ parataraṁ nānyat kiñcid asti dhanañjaya [Bg. 7.7]. Ahaṁ sarvasya prabhavo mattaḥ sarvaṁ pravartate [Bg. 10.8] “There is no more higher truth than Me.” So if one is fortunate to understand Krsna, that there is no more higher truth than Krsna. And if he follows the advice of Krsna, sarva- dharmān parityajya mām ekaṁ śaraṇaṁ vraja [Bg. 18.66], then he’s fortunate. Fortunate means everyone has got his discretion. So one who has the fortune to discriminate, then he can understand Krsna very easily.

Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam 6.1.15

by His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupāda

London, July 30, 1971

But this is your believe, your personal subjective opinion.
Subjective to what?

What is the subjectivity when the statement rings true in every heart, when truth of reality is observed.

But you posted an opinion to discredit. As proof?

There is no problem though if you accept this kind of understanding. But, you cannot say that the Vaishnavas are wrong when saying, no, there're lots of perfect acaryas in our sampradaya.
Such that you believe that since your teachers understand, they are perfect human beings? Or that an opinion of belief is what establishes truth?

Much to disagree.

Perhaps a few questions can be observed before placing ones ‘integrity’ into question.

When expecting that others should accept your believe, you have to also accept the Vaishnava understanding that there're perfect men.
Not even the opinion shared represents or substantiates the opinion you have.

It is very difficult to understand. Because Krsna says out of many millions of people, one is perfect, and out of many millions of perfect men, one can hardly understand Krsna. So it is very difficult to understand Krsna. But if one is fortunate, he can understand

‘Fortunate’ to comprehend (understand) is not defining perfection of a man. In this context, then the ‘perfect person’ would have the ability to answer all questions of knowledge. And in every contents of the idea, that has never existed as the evolution had not been reached.

Fortunate means everyone has got his discretion.
Means we each have the experience of choice.
So one who has the fortune to discriminate, then he can understand Krsna very easily
So to have the ability to define, then he can understand.

Simply to repeat someone else’s ideas is not understanding.

In all of existence the contributors all recognize that an enlightened person is of knowledge to comprehend the experience; hence the continued gifts left by each generation.

Perfection of knowledge is when the words define true, equal to all sentience life to understand. Not to believe by faith but to know in truth.

i.e.... all words are created by mankind. Not by opinion or faith but as literal truth.

Simply to repeat someone else’s ideas is not understanding.

With our tiny brains what can we actually understand, can you understand how your food is actually being turned into bodily energy - we will never understand how even this "simple" aspect in God's creation really works.

However, when Krsna says, we're eternal and we simply repeat this "idea", who can say there's something wrong? Similarly, the materialistic person becomes subjected to the three fold miseries of material nature when pierced by Durga devi's trident. You might say this repeated knowledge of someone else's opinion and thus meaningless, but still, it is true.

1949: May

Calcutta

Dear Sir, Mother Nature is, as She should naturally be, the most faithful mistress of Godhead and She becomes angry for the behavior of the asura and thus assume the role of Daivamaya, generally known as the Mahakali, Durga, Bhadrakali etc. and takes at once Her grim trident and inflicts the weapon in the heart of the asura who is also Her son. The asura thus becomes subject to threefold miseries and this is done according to the plan of Godhead as the mother has to chastise the disobedient son in order to make him alright.

ru88lg.jpg

This process of chastisement is necessary for the benefit of both the asura and the daiva sons in order to stop disorder in the great plan of Godhead. As sons as the asura, however, surrenders unto Godhead as the obedient son and servitor of the plan of Godhead the asura is turned into a devata. The angry mode of Mother Nature at once subsides and she appears to such godly sons as the most affectionate Mother in the role of Yogamaya commonly known as Laksmi, Sita and Radharani etc.

With our tiny brains what can we actually understand, can you understand how your food is actually being turned into bodily energy - we will never understand how even this "simple" aspect in God's creation really works.

sorry to read this line by your hand. This is what the truth brings; Understanding!

To recognize energy as light upon mass, then know the sun feeds the plants, then the mass assembles to retain the greatest amount of energy (process of life). As we consume food our bodies convert the energy quite similar as that of metabolism (process to convert the energy into usable form).

Reactions occur that release the energy (diatomic reactions) as the mass is not consumed but a change occurs to the molecules carrying the energy as they are converted into higher energy states while the remnant ‘heat’ maintains the catalytic thresholds (body temperature).

A simple summary but to review the physics would take a bit longer. What is to change is that the chemical path suggested in current sciences is incorrect. The changes and conversions are good but the actual occurrences in reactions as the community currently describes is incorrect. That is what Understanding ‘Light’ changes… so that unknown is actually much easier to comprehend than previously thought. The reason is because energy is misunderstood in the current sciences.

To begin with ‘light’ as energy observing the properties thereof, then with ‘time’ and ‘mass’ the ‘foot print’ can be known! (name of ???)

This revealing is the basis to the compassionate representations of community maintaining the laws of God, in perfection!

Good: supports life

Bad: loss to the common

Based from Mass, energy, time; the trinity: ONE

Means ‘light’ is energy upon mass in time. (light: electric and magnetic field at perpendicular planes; THE CROSS!)

Light is life.

Light: purposed to continue (i.e. ….change over time; evolution)

Has is it been mentioned: this is the basis of the ‘gift of knowledge’….. establishing Understanding, for the children; equality everlasting; in which each can know how to experience choice and ‘create life’ for existence to continue.

If you know life, then know existence; that was the promise to our fathers.

PARAMAHAMSA 108 SRI SRILA BHAKTISIDDHANTA SARASWATI THAKUR PRABHUPADA

HOW WILL I BE ABLE TO RECOGNIZE SOMEONE AS A BONA FIDE SPIRITUAL MASTER?

When you make judgments based on your own intelligence that someone is guru, you are in fact projecting the qualities of guru on him. Such a person is never truly the guru. In such cases, you are thinking that the guru is somehow under your control, or within the purview of your sensory knowledge. When Krishna Himself decides to send you someone to act as your spiritual master, that person will manifest before you as the Mahanta Guru.

WHO IS THE ACHARYA?

Only a devotee of the Lord who is fixed in the activities of devotional service and preaching the message of the Lord can be considered an acharya. The acharya is free and independent. He sets the perfect example of completely abandoning the company of the impious and always engaged in hearing and speaking about Krishna . One who preaches to others fearlessly and without any constraint, inducing them to similarly give up bad association, is the acharya.

HOW WILL I FIND A BONA FIDE SPIRITUAL MASTER?

The Supreme Lord acts as guru in two ways: within as Chaitya Guru in the heart and without as the Mahanta Guru, or pure devotee. If I am sincere, then the Lord reveals the Mahanta Guru to me. We can go to a thousand different people with a petition in hand, but until the one person who can approve our application does so, we get nowhere. The Supreme Lord is that person. Why He does or does not approve our request is something we cannot fathom. He is not a field laborer working in our personal garden. We have to be patient and wait.

In the meantime, we should prepare ourselves by cultivating a service attitude and trying to eliminate other extraneous desires. If we pray sincerely for the Lord's blessing, then He will graciously bless us. Through His grace we will find a bona fide spiritual master.

Krsna jadi krpa Karen kono bhagyavane

Guru-antaryami-rupe sikhaya apane

When Krishna decides to be kind to some fortunate soul, then He personally directs that person from within as the Supersoul and from without as the spiritual master. (CC 2. 22.47)

HOW SHOULD WE UNDERSTAND THE GURU?

One has to be devoted to the spiritual master in the same way as one is devoted to Krishna . One should think of the spiritual master in the same way that one thinks of Krishna , for he is in no way less than or inferior to Krishna.

It is the duty of a pious person to recognize the spiritual master as equal to Krishna and to worship him and serve him in that way. If one does not do so, then one loses his status as a disciple.

Those who see the guru and Krishna as the same will be able to understand the essence of the scriptures. They alone will be able to chant the Holy Names and they alone will be able to speak of Krishna.

Sri Krishna Himself has descended in the form of the spiritual master in order to teach service to Himself. Those on whom fortune smiles will be able to understand this spotless scriptural truth. If not, their doubting minds will plunge them into the ocean of samsara.

The spiritual master is neither the ultimate object of devotion, visaya-vigraha, nor the original reservoir of devotion, asraya-vigraha. He is a manifestation or prakasa-vigraha of the original reservoir of devotion.

Sri Krishna is the supreme object of all love, whereas the guru is the reservoir of divine love. Krishna is the predominating absolute, the bhokta bhagavan , while the guru is the predominated absolute, or sevaka-bhagavan; he is God as worshiper or servant.

Even though the spiritual master is the reservoir of love, he is Krishna himself; at the same time he is the most beloved of Krishna . This is the inconceivable paradox of guru tattva. Krishna is the complete omnipotent, and the spiritual master is His complete potency.

The spiritual master is not an ordinary living entity, he is master of all living entities, He is the supreme consciousness, the plenary manifestation of the Lord's potency, His internal potency. We ordinary jivas on the other hand are atomic particles of consciousness, Krishna 's marginal potency and separated parts.

WHO IS THE GENUINE GURU AND HOW CAN WE FIND HIM?

The road to auspiciousness begins with taking shelter of a bona fide spiritual master. In accordance with God's plan, everyone on this earth finds a teacher that meets his or her particular needs and qualifications.

Thus the Christians have their Jesus and the Muslims their Mohammed. Less fortunate individuals think that some materialist with formal traditional ties to the family is their guru, with the result that they become embroiled in householder life themselves.

If we are fortunate, if we truly seek out a genuine guru with complete sincerity and persistence, and if we pray feelingly to the Lord to encounter such a spiritual master, then the Lord will surely lead us in this life-time to a genuine guru, by taking shelter of whom we will be able to attain the greatest blessings.

Brahmanda bhramite kona bhagyavan jiva

Guru-krsna-prasade paya bhakti-lata-bija

In the course of wandering through Brahma's universal creation, a fortunate soul may receive the seed of the creeper of devotion. This happens by the grace of the guru and Krishna .

(CC, 2.19.151)

Krsna jadi krpa karena kono bhagyavane

Guru-antaryami-rupe-sikhya apane

If Krishna is merciful to a particularly fortunate soul, then He comes Himself to teach him, either externally as the spiritual master or from within as the Supersoul.

(CC 2.22.47)

Guru krsna-rupahana sastrera pramane

Guru-rupe krsna krpa karena bhakta-gane

According to the revealed scriptures, the spiritual master is the manifestation of Krishna . Krishna comes in the form of the guru to show His mercy to the devotees.

(CC 1.1.45)

Even though my spiritual master is the servant of Lord Chaitanya, I know that he is a direct manifestation of the Lord

(CC 1.1.44)

Jiva saksat nahi tate guru caitya-rupa

Siksa-guru haya krsna mahanta-svarupe

Since one cannot directly experience the guru as the Supersoul, Krishna appears as the siksha guru in the form of a highly advanced Vaishnava.

(CC 1.1.58)

“O my beloved Krishna ! Please be kind and accept me as your servant. For all my life I have thought of myself as the master of my house and the enjoyer of the fruits of my work, but I shall give all this up for you.” When a jiva sincerely prays to Krishna in this way, then Krishna appears to him in the form of the Mahanta Guru.

Without receiving transcendental knowledge from a bona fide spiritual master, no one gains the eligibility to serve Krishna . Neither god nor human can give such transcendental knowledge. This is why we have such a great need for a genuine spiritual master.

WHO IS THE GURU AND HOW IS SERVICE TO HIM TO BE CARRIED OUT?

The spiritual master and the Vaishnava are transcendental temples. The Supreme Lord does not manifest Himself just anywhere. He reveals Himself only through the spiritual master and the Vaishnava.

Many people would like to see God, but they do not know that one only sees God through seeing the guru. If there were no such thing as the spiritual master in this world, nor would there be any devotion.

The spiritual master is the connecting thread that leads to vision of God. The supreme Lord shows His mercy to the conditioned souls by sending His best servants or Vaishnavas into this world. The spiritual master is the concrete form of His mercy.

The spiritual master is our closest friend and relative. This is why it is not enough to see the guru at a respectful distance, acting out of a sense of duty alone. One has to serve with visrambha , a combination of deep faith and loving affection. This attitude will have the most auspicious results.

We need the spiritual master even more than we need Krishna . Srila Gauranga Deva is the spiritual master of all spiritual masters. He taught us that even though the spiritual master and the Supreme Lord are in no way different, the guru is positioned at the pinnacle of the category of devotee. There is no way to achieve auspiciousness except through service to the spiritual master.

HOW CAN WE BECOME GURUS?

SHOULD WE MAKE DISCIPLES?

We should not make disciples until we have become liberated or a pure devotee. You must first take shelter of a bona fide guru, become a disciple and listen to the topics of Krishna from his mouth. Then you have to put everything you have heard into practice and repeat it to others with humility. After doing this for some time, you must become guru yourself. You should not intentionally remain a “lightweight” for the rest of you days. This is a kind of self-deception.

To become guru means to become a genuine devotee, engaging all of your senses in the service of Krishna toward Him and make everyone into Krishna 's devotees.

DO WE HAVE TO MAKE DISCIPLES?

We don't have to make disciples, we have to become disciples. In other words, we have to remain constantly engaged fin the service of Krishna and the spiritual master.

The devotees of Vishnu, the Vaishnavas, see the guru in all things. If one becomes proud fof being a Vaishnava, then one's service to Vishnu and the Vaishnavas evaporates. One who is free from the sense that he is the doer, who thinks, “I actually do nothing myself, it is Krishna alone who engages me in all activities.” And who is constantly engaged in the service of the Lord, can actually do something beneficial for the ordinary soul by turning them toward Krishna . But it is not enough to make phoney speeches about how you are not the doer. You have to genuinely feel that you are being made to act by the Lord.

WILL I BE ABLE TO MAKE DISCIPLES?

Give up your enviousness and show mercy to every living being by turning those who are currently indifferent to Krishna back toward Him. Don't play at spiritual master with the intention of immersing yourself in the sense objects. Don't just dress up as spiritual master. Should you manage to become a sincere servant of the guru and Krishna and acquire their blessing, then there will be nothing to fear. If not, however, you are doomed.

WHO CAN CARRY ON THE GURU'S MISSION ?

The work of spiritual master is done by those who have been sent here by Lord from the transcendental world to take on the appearance of ordinary human beings for the sake of unfortunate conditioned souls like ourselves, to deliver them from the three miseries and send them back to the divine realm. The Lord's messengers, the carriers of His divine message, are the intimate associates of the Lord.

The true holy person carries a sharpened sword with which he beheads the goat-like tendencies to enjoy and renounce, sacrificing them on the altar of devotion. Such a person is the true spiritual master.

The spiritual master is one who has no other duty other than service to Krishna; whose intelligence is fixed on Krishna and who sees nothing but Krishna . He has no desire to hear flattery and so is beholden to no one. He can thus fearlessly preach the truth.

One is eligible to become guru if he speaks nothing but Hari Katha, and if he never instructs anyone in anything other than devotional service, and if he does not waste a day in activities other than those which please Krishna.

An insincere hypocrite cannot be a guru. One whose aspiration is for mundane activity cannot be a guru. Pseudo-gurus should be turned out and exposed. If one selfishly uses the gifts his disciples have surrendered to the Lord, taking them as a means to accumulate wealth, women and worldly fame, then he should be renounced immediately as a cheater. One should not listen to the words of such a rascal. One who purloins the materials meant for God's service in his own selfish interest is not worthy of the name “guru”.

The Naradiya-purana says:

Iha yasya harer dasye

Karmana manasa gira

Nikhilasv apy avasthasu

Jivan-muktah sa ucyate

One is called a living liberated soul who in all circumstances performs every action, whether of the body, mind or speech, in the service of Krishna.

(Brs 1.2.187)

The atheist who is engaged in social service instead of devotional service to the Lord should be avoided, for such a person can benefit neither himself nor anyone else. In the name of such so-called social service, one simply falls deeper and deeper into the pit of illusion while dragging others down with him.

We refuse to keep the company of those who try to deceive the Supreme Lord by chanting on their beads or by crying and making a great show of emotion, but who do not see Krishna in every syllable, or see beautiful Gauranga in every sound.

The ultimate goal of scholarship is to understand one's relation with Krishna . Our lives can truly become auspicious only when we understand, through the association of sadhus and obedience to the spiritual master's order, that everything in the universe is somehow meant for the service of the Lord.

The path to auspiciousness is revealed when we associate with devotees who see the Lord everywhere, or who see everything in relation to the Lord; who see the spiritual master everywhere, who are more humble than the straw in the street, who are as tolerant as the tree, free of pride but full of respect for others, and who are constantly engaged in chanting the Holy Names attentively.

It is only with the greatest good fortune that we encounter a saintly person of such qualifications. A servant of illusion may disguise himself as a spiritual master, but he will never be able to approach Mahaprabhu Gaurasundara through the enjoying mentality.

Even if Gauranga's pastimes in this world, His prakata lila, are not going on at the present moment, if I am able to stay in the company of the guru and holy persons, then my consciousness will be dovetailed with theirs; my desires and aspirations will mix with theirs. If we are able to take shelter of the spiritual master in this way, surrendering ourselves fully to his lotus feet, then we will achieve the greatest good through good association, service and obedience.

IS IT PROPER FOR US TO MAKE DISCIPLES?

The genuine guru does not make anyone his disciple. Rather, he makes everyone his guru by turning those who have no interest in Krishna into devotees. He tries to give Krishna pleasure by engaging everyone in His service. The guru's vision is that everyone has importance; thus his everywhere and everything is related to Krishna. For him nothing is insignificant; nothing is seen as an object of the senses. He does not see this world as a mundane creation. The guru's work is like that of a medical professor in the university: he is not making students, but doctors. Similarly, the guru is making other gurus.

If the Vaishnavas do not play the role of spiritual master, then the transcendental family of Vaishnavas will dwindle and disappear. The problem is that as soon as one becomes guru, he ceases to be a Vaishnava. Therefore it is not proper to act as guru if one is not qualified.

This means only inauspicious results for the disciple and falldown for the guru. The spiritual master does not identify himself as a guru, for his inner identification as a servant of God is too powerful. If the spiritual master thinks of himself as guru, then the first vowel of his name changes and he becomes goru-a cow.

The genuine guru is engaged twenty – four hours a day in Lord Krishna's service. He acknowledges no duty other than serving Krishna. Thus the only person who is completely committed to his own spiritual master and has made service to him his life.

WHO CAN TAKE ON THE ROLE OF SPIRITUAL MASTER?

A devotee of Krishna who knows the philosophy of Krishna consciousness can act as spiritual master. Those who are ritualists, impersonalists and yogis can never be accepted as guru because they are not devotees. Only one worships the Personality of Godhead can be a guru.

On the other hand, someone who proudly thinks that he has become the servant of Krishna cannot be guru either. As long as one considers oneself to be a Vaishnava, he cannot be guru. For this reason,anyone who functions as a guru does not call himself a guru or a Vaishnava. Anyone who calls himself a Vaishnava is immediately branded a “non-Vaishnava”.

Amit tovaisnava, e buddhi hile

Amani na ho'bo ami

Pratisthasa asi', hrdoya dusibe,

Hoibo niraya-gami

If think “I am a Vaishnava,” then I will never become humble, My heart will become contaminated with the hope of receiving honor from others, and I will surely go to hell.

Tomara kinkora, apane janibo,

‘guru'-abhimana tyaji'

Tomara ucchistha, pada-jala-renu,

Sada niskapate bhaji

Give me the mercy that I can be your servant and renounce the false conception of being guru. Let me accept without duplicity your remnants, the dust of your feet, and the water that has washed them.

Nije serstha jani, ucchisthadi dane,

Ho'be abhimana bhar

Tai sisya tava, thakiya sarvada,

Na lobibo puja kar

By thinking that I am superior and giving my remnants to others, I will become increasingly egotistical. Let me always remain in the mood of a disciple and never accept any worship or praise from others.

The Maha Bhagavata is the true guru. Only someone who has achieved the status of Maha Bhagavata can take the role of spiritual master. One can act as guru when he himself sees the guru everywhere, for such a person can transform another insignificant individual (or laghu) into one capable of imparting spiritual instruction himself (guru). He can turn a non-devotee into a devotee. If one is not himself a devotee he cannot make anyone else into a devotee. Thus the meaning of being guru is being a devotee. All of one's senses must be engaged in the service of the guru, otherwise he has no right to act as guru.

The Maha Bhagavata is more humble than the grass in the street. He thinks he is the most insignificant person in the world. He does not think, “I have played the role of servant long enough; it's no fun any more. I need to be guru now.”

The guru serves as spiritual master, but does not identify himself with that role. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

The spiritual master is neither the ultimate object of devotion, visaya-vigraha, nor the original reservoir of devotion, asraya-vigraha. He is a manifestation or prakasa-vigraha of the original reservoir of devotion.

Does this mean, that the man is simply the ‘devoted to truth’?

Neither god nor human can give such transcendental knowledge.
I disagree, this idea herein does not make sense. All knowledge is learned! Meaning each line of learned ‘mind’ comes from our brethren, history; the fathers.

Then here is a contradiction

The spiritual master and the Vaishnava are transcendental temples.
Nope! Just a man who cares as the ‘transcendence’ is simply the ‘life,’ which means we are all transcendent; life equally.

We don't have to make disciples, we have to become disciples
Which basically means ‘live in good’ (support life)….. and to comprehend the truth prepares that individual responsibility.

The spiritual master is one who has no other duty other than service to ffice:smarttags" /><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comaudarya<st1:place>Krishna</st1:place>;
OR simply the ‘total’ … God… existence itself…..

whose intelligence is fixed on <st1:place>Krishna</st1:place> and who sees nothing but <st1:place>Krishna</st1:place>.
Existence and life as it truly is!

He has no desire to hear flattery and so is beholden to no one. He can thus fearlessly preach the truth.
Why flatter a man… it just makes his head bigger than it already is.

If one selfishly uses the gifts his disciples have surrendered to the Lord, taking them as a means to accumulate wealth, women and worldly fame, then he should be renounced immediately as a cheater.
Now do you see why I have not published; someone might think it was me who ‘created’ the truth and make me seem important. Then I could sit on a thrown and put flowers between my toes and say ‘look, lotus feet.’

The ultimate goal of scholarship is to understand one's relation with <st1:place>Krishna</st1:place>
Ah…. Back to the good of Understanding.

Sharing what is true; without the pursuit of things for the self.

Hey….. That’s what the mission of ‘good’ is all about!

The pursuit of UNDERSTANDING!

The genuine guru does not make anyone his disciple. Rather, he makes everyone his guru by turning those who have no interest in <st1:place>Krishna</st1:place> into devotees.

That is real close……. The idea is each is can be aware, equally and with understanding, thereby responsible by choice to each action, without any need of things, hope, and faith just aware in truth of existence, God and the ‘good’ of life.

Equality is the goal in which to share knowledge, then each can be enlightened of the truth!

To begin each child born with the ‘knowledge of life’ then each can learn without the contradictions; they can understand in all learning; pure to existence.

Let’s give them that chance!

Glorious Guru / Rascal Disciples

Another point is that there are many instances in the sastra of a bona fide guru having a rascal disciple.

As recorded in Caitanya Caritamrta, Isvara Puri, the spiritual master of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, performed service to Madhavendra Puri in the last, difficult days of his spiritual master’s life on earth. Isvara Puri intimately cared for the body of his spiritual master and was always chanting the holy name and pastimes of Lord Krsna for Madhavendra Puri to hear.

In this way, he helped Madhavendra Puri remember the holy name and pastimes of Lord Krsna at the time of death. Madhavendra Puri was very pleased and gave Isvara Puri the benediction that he would become a great devotee and lover of Krsna.

Krsnadasa Kaviraja remarks that for this reason Isvara Puri became an ocean of ecstatic love of Krsna, whereas Ramacandra Puri – who offended his spiritual masterbecame a dry speculator and critic of everyone else. “These two persons, Isvara Puri and Ramacandra Puri,” writes Krsnadasa Kaviraja, “are examples of the object of a great personality’s benediction and punishment. Madhavendra Puri instructed the entire world by presenting these two examples”