IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Mikey

Some questions

Rate this topic

Hello I have been studying Hinduism off and on for about a year now. With this site and many books I heard about from here, I have learned alot. I still have some questions, and I was hoping for some answers. I wont bog you down with them, so here it goes.

Do you believe the events that occured in the Gita and the Ramayan actually took place? To clarify further, do you believed Hanuman walked the earth and there really was a battle of Kurukshetra? If so, have archaeologists discovered remains of the battle?

Mikey,

As far as my personal opinion, yes, I do believe these events took place. The Mahabharata, Ramayana and the Puranas all contain various stories of our Gods and Goddesses. As far as archaelogical evidence, if there is any, I don't know about it. Quite frankly, to me it doesn't matter.

I may sound ignorant or other such words, but again, it doesn't matter. I believe what I believe and in Hinduism that is tolerated.

Any one else's opinions?

Regards,

ganesh_guy

Do you believe the events that occured in the Gita and the Ramayan actually took place? To clarify further, do you believed Hanuman walked the earth and there really was a battle of Kurukshetra? If so, have archaeologists discovered remains of the battle?

I do believe that the events in the Ramayana and the Bhagavad Gita took place in real time. I believe in Hanuman and I believe there was a battle at Kurukshetra. I haven't heard of any remains being found, but it doesn't play a large part in my belief in the events anyway, since to believe in nearly any deity, you have to go more off of faith than actual evidence.

thank you for the replies. When I first began studying the Vedas, it was difficult to believe what I read, especially how "grounded" I am with science. I read the story of the frog in the well, and it made alot of sense to me. I began opening my mind, and found my study to be much easier.

Do you believe the events that occured in the Gita and the Ramayan actually took place?
Yes, whether or not there is any major archeological evidence is of little relevance to me, but I have heard that off the coast of Gujarat, there was a recently discovered sunken city, that many think was Dwarka. Likewise, many think Ram Sethu was indeed the bridge Rama built to Lanka.

Hello I have been studying Hinduism off and on for about a year now. With this site and many books I heard about from here, I have learned alot. I still have some questions, and I was hoping for some answers. I wont bog you down with them, so here it goes.

Your question has two parts...one is you are asking for individual beliefs and the second is you are asking about the archaeological position.

To directly jump to the second part, there is not a single shred of evidence acceptable by science to support the Ramayana and the Mahabharata.

So did they never happen? They may have happened, minus all the magic of talking monkeys and sarees of infinite length. Or they never happened at all.

Cheers