IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
damian

alcohol

Rate this topic

Dear devotees, spiritual practitioners and/or seekers,

I have a dilemma about serving alcohol. Although it is not reccommended for serious spiritual aspirants to serve alcohol to anybody, I find it very difficult to apply this. Out of social custome it is almost unavoidable. At least where I live, in The Netherlands. For example, after a won tennis game it is a general etiquette to offer someone a drink. And to give as an answer: no sir, I can not give you a beer, because it's against my principles, only invokes envy. So this is really a dilemma to me. My solution today was to just give the person the beer, because I thought, well just one beer wouldn't really harm. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Regards,

Damian

If you don't want to do it, don't. I, myself, have no major qualms concerning alcohol, but... for example... I'd never offer someone a steak if that was the custom in my country, because it would violate my values and principles. I'm sure that if you explain to them why, they won't have a problem.

... or... you could always take the easy way out -> "Eh... I'm in alcoholics anonymous, and they recommend I not be around alcohol... heh-heh." :D

I have a dilemma about serving alcohol. Although it is not reccommended for serious spiritual aspirants to serve alcohol to anybody, I find it very difficult to apply this. Out of social custome it is almost unavoidable. At least where I live, in The Netherlands. For example, after a won tennis game it is a general etiquette to offer someone a drink. And to give as an answer: no sir, I can not give you a beer, because it's against my principles, only invokes envy. So this is really a dilemma to me. My solution today was to just give the person the beer, because I thought, well just one beer wouldn't really harm. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Regards,

Damian

Part of the reason we continue to take birth is because we allow ourselves to be corrupted by this world. If whatever faith you practice forbids Alcohol then someone who practices real social etiquette would have the grace to respect your faith. Who knows maybe they might even inquire of you why it is that you don`t serve or drink alcohol and you can teach them a bit. The only time I see this causing any problems is if you present yourself as somehow better because of your decision.

And to give as an answer: no sir, I can not give you a beer, because it's against my principles, only invokes envy. So this is really a dilemma to me. posted by damian

This is a very good observation Damian. I have reflected on this over the years in my own spiritual journey, and gradual growth. If our decisions are founded within our soul, even deeper than just moral principles, I feel people will see that eventually. So in a way few words is best, and a simple knowing between oneself and the other. Conscious souls can see each other in this regard, they can see each others soul realization. If that knowing is not felt in the reciprocation, then in my opinion it's best to tread gently out of respect and love for the other.

There seems to be so many levels of conscious awareness, nothing black and white.

Regards,

Damian

2116x5h.jpg

Good point, never serve alcohol, this is no acceptable job.

Thank you all for your sincere replies. As we can see, applying spiritual principles in every day life and society is never easy! But by your considerate and thoughtful advise, I think I will manage to make a balanced desicion on the matter.

Yours

Damian

p.s. any more thoughts on the subject are of course more than welcome :-)

For example, after a won tennis game it is a general etiquette to offer someone a drink. And to give as an answer: no sir, I can not give you a beer, because it's against my principles, only invokes envy. So this is really a dilemma to me. My solution today was to just give the person the beer, because I thought, well just one beer wouldn't really harm. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Sometimes it is best to turn the situation into a bit of humor, by saying for example: "Sir, I can only buy you a non-alcoholic beer, as this is what my principles are". If you say it with an honest smile chances are people will understand.

I sometimes have even a bigger problem: When taking business clients to lunch they often order meat. Technically speaking I do not pay for their meal - the company I work for does - yet there is some implication on my part as well.

In this world it is hard to completely avoid implication into sinful activities - yet we must try to do our best.

Good luck to you! :)

Thanks for the advise. I decided that, if unavoidable, one beer is the limit. No more, and no other alcoholic drink. Otherwise I am really going to preach. I can imagine your situation to be complicated as well. Actually I had a similar situation two years ago with my uncle putting my parquet floor in my new house without asking anything in return, except for a meat snack from a junk food store. So, even it was hard, I bought it, because, considering the situation, I didn't feel in the position to refuse. Now, however, I wouldn't do the same. With meat matters, I am not going to make any compromises anymore, but will boldly explain my reason.

Regards,

Damian

This type of item is quite important and there are many areas to apply wisdom.

In one example;

Text 8

duhkham ity eva yat karma

kaya-klesa-bhayat tyajyt

sa krtva rajasam tyagam

naiva tyaga-phalam labhet

Translation

Anyone who gives up prescribed duties as troublesome or out of fear of bodily discomfort is said to have renounced in the mode of passion. Such action never leads to the elevation of renunciation.

Purport

One who is in Krsna consciousness should not give up earning money out of fear that he is performing fruitive activities. If by working one can engage his money in Krsna consciousness, or if by rising early in the morning one can advance his transcendental Krsna consciousness, one should not desist out of fear or because such activities are considered troublesome. Such renunciation is in the mode of passion. The result of passionate work is always miserable. If a person renounces work in that spirit, he never gets the result of renunciation.

which is like a warrior on the field not willing to kill; break a precept

this is one of the toughest questions on earth

what is posted, in an opinion, simply repeated; but there is more

Though I don't drink, I keep some wine around and if someone wants a glass, they can have it.

Same goes for coffee, I also partake moderately.

If someone wants a cigarette, they can go out on the back porch and smoke it...but that's common social etiquette these days.

I have a wide range of friends and can't be a total stickler.

Meat's where I draw the line, though. Don't keep it in the house, will not eat in heavy meat-serving restaurants, and I won't pick up a burger or similar for a co-worker on a trip out to the store.