IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
RadheyRadhey108

Buddha Avatara

Rate this topic

Kali Yuga is meant for scoundrels.

So what? Do you think that everyone born in the Kali Yuga is now a scoundrel? So I guess that Lord Chaitanya is now a scoundrel? And Sri Ramanujacharya, Mira Bai, Aandaal, and all the other great saints and avatars of the Sanatan Dharma sent into this world as a beacon of light?

So what? Do you think that everyone born in the Kali Yuga is now a scoundrel? So I guess that Lord Chaitanya is now a scoundrel? And Sri Ramanujacharya, Mira Bai, Aandaal, and all the other great saints and avatars of the Sanatan Dharma sent into this world as a beacon of light?

You fool, I meant in Kali Yuga anyone could be a scoundrel, I didn't say everyone who's born in Kali Yuga is a scoundrel.

I can ascertain that a couple of Mahatmas born in Kali Yuga are definitely not scoundrels. One of them is the Ninth Avatara Adi Shankara & the other is Swami Ramdev.

Comics_Omer_RowingAlongTheWind.jpg

You are the kali-yuga scoundrel if you consider Lord Buddha a scoundrel.

what should I do ? bark back at you ?

By your own logic, No. Humans are capable of advancing spiritually which animals are not. Hence, the differentiation as this is the only shortcut available to animals.

Cheers

Cool thinking!

So since mankind has the ability of sentience response or the experience of choice, then to eat of the animals flesh, then their energy is within 'our' body to build the next bridge.

So by their sustenance we are given the power to continue building....

that's 'buddha thinking'

and who cares about the faithful, they continue to use others interpretations to fit their game, their faith, their hopes and fibs and all the while are not being honest with themselves.......

ie... nature is based on consumption.... meaning I will believe nature (god) over the opinions of men........ EVERYTIME!

for clarification. the buddha didn't die from eating pork products. he died from poison truffles. you'll have to forgive me as i don't remember the pali or sanskrit term for it but it was rendered as not being pigs' meat as in pork but the food pigs eat:ie: truffles. this is common belief within almost all of buddhism with the acception of some theravada traditions. the quotes from the ajanh are from a theravada perspective and the majority of buddhists in the world do not belong to this tradition. as for the buddha's stance on vegatarianism, within the mahayana tripitaka it is clear that meat products are adharmic and should be avoided, dairy is ok but even that is avoided by many of the devout.

So why would he invite someone like Buddha & his followers & offer them pig's food ? weren't there any better things to serve him ?

majority of buddhists in the world do not belong to theravada tradition but majority of buddhists do eat meat, so it indicates that meat eating is not just a theravada practise.

FYI theravada is the oldest surviving buddhist school so meat eating in buddhism would also be as old.

and it was very well pointed out by ARJ in the other thread, why do someone who belives in Ahimsa need lethal forms of martial art ? is it for 'Shambala War' ? it is true that all forms of eastern martial arts were perfected by buddhist schools.

I can ascertain that a couple of Mahatmas born in Kali Yuga are definitely not scoundrels. One of them is the Ninth Avatara Adi Shankara & the other is Swami Ramdev.

Honestly, you are such an idiot. Adi Shankaracharya is NOT the ninth avatara. He is an incarnation of Lord Shiva, not one of the Mahavatars of Lord Vishnu. And, even if you meant as an Avatar of Lord Shiva, He's not the ninth. Hanuman is named as Lord Shiva's eleventh avatar, so how could Adi Shankara be the ninth Shiva-avatar if He came after Lord Hanuman?

And, I can't even believe that you aimed that little cartoon at me, since it's been accepted for centuries that there is a Buddha-Avatar of the Lord, and you're the one changing your view based on current, popular opinion. You don't read or follow shastra for the same reason.

Three cheers for the wisdom of a dry speculator, holding the banner of reason and logic, bereft of the underlying message of the Vedic literature, and who perpetually keeps engaging in dry speculation for the sake of it.
After that big post I am hungry.

What is actually naive, is to consider that despite the countless verses condemning the partaking of flesh and killing of animals
What is naive is that you take the words of men over seeing the evolution of life all over the planet.

Of course, if you were suckered into believing the wild and largely unsubstantiated theories that old and modern western indologists have spread about the Vedic culture and it's origins ever since the west's arrival in India,

Hang on now, you are ranting, and yet srila comes west, chanting about some harry guy.....

you should be excused, and then handed a ticket of free admission to the school of proper Vedic understanding.
And if someone was to share how ignorant you are would you be offended?

Because of the western scholar's lack of intrinsic understanding of the Vedic culture,
Did the vedics share how to use this website?

These are the same "scholars" who ferociously cling to the flawed Aryan invasion theory, and anyone opposing their views, is handily stigmatized using such trite remarks as "high-school dropout" or "crackpot" in an attempt to discredit the opposing party.
To suggest what nature shares with us, every day as reality, is not true, is a weeeeee bit short sighted.

Seems people will be eating cows and drinking their milk all over the world well beyond the harry guy....

the western man in suit and tie, who's main philosophical import is that the Indian culture, while certainly intruiging, is ultimately inferior to theirs.
and in the West, the Hopi indians also enjoy to eat what mother earth provides; meat!

Just form a mental picture of the scene to understand how ridiculous this proposition is.
That is what I think about your rant on a thread about Buddha.

It is this sort of ludicrous idea that was readily picked up by ignorant men hankering after the dead flesh of animals.

I will eat good tonight knowing you have been duped by a religious belief that is more bend on making themselves 'feel good' then being honest with themselves about reality

, either as Buddha Avatara, Mahaprabhu or His bonafide representative: a civilized man does not eat meat.

Hare Krishna

How much you want to bet?

Will you put your life on that one?

I will!

Do not speak for the Buddha nor of what makes you feel good just to sound like a humble man/woman as to claim piety based in pure illogical ignorance, you put yourself in the line of fire, even with someone who has kept the precepts of compassion; perhaps a liar is worst than the killer!

So why would he invite someone like Buddha & his followers & offer them pig's food ? weren't there any better things to serve him ?

majority of buddhists in the world do not belong to theravada tradition but majority of buddhists do eat meat, so it indicates that meat eating is not just a theravada practise.

FYI theravada is the oldest surviving buddhist school so meat eating in buddhism would also be as old.

and it was very well pointed out by ARJ in the other thread, why do someone who belives in Ahimsa need lethal forms of martial art ? is it for 'Shambala War' ? it is true that all forms of eastern martial arts were perfected by buddhist schools.

i don't know why someone would offer truffles but according to vinaya traditions the buddha and monastic order ate whatever was offered as they lived a beggers life.

as for theravada being the oldest, there is archeological evidence that suggests other wise. the theravada texts were the oldest to be found in writing (in sri lanka) but that doesn't make it the oldest tradition. in fact theravada and mahayana both evolved out of much older traditions and were developing around the same time in different regions.

what is you statistic for meat eating among buddhists? i myself do not know it but my point isn't who is eating meat today but to point out that in the largest buddhist tradition, it is against both lay and ordained precepts. chech out the brahmanet sutra if you don't believe me.

Shambhala is not buddhist and it is not a lethel marshal art. if you are refering to the Warriors of Shambhala it is a metaphor for the internal struggle to over come the three poisons. it was developed by Chogyam Trungpa as a means of teachings spiritual values without including religion. it includes, hatha yoga, flower arranging, calligraphy, and breath meditation (not too lethal )

if you are refering to some other shambhala please post the link.

Hey, brainless, this thread is about the Buddha Himself, not what some people have done while claiming to be Buddhist. We all know that there are many Hindus who don't do what Lord Krishna would want, and, similarly, there are many Buddhists who don't do what Lord Buddha would want. We can't judge someone based only on what we presume (since you've cited no evidence whatsoever for your sweeping generalizations of all Buddhists) their 'followers' to do. We know that the Buddha was a proponent of Ahimsa (no matter what His 'followers' do). Every scripture that we have shows Him as encouraging nonviolence. Until you can find a non-Tantric scripture showing Him as encouraging war, don't talk about the Buddha not following Ahimsa. All scriptures point toward a nonviolent Gautama Buddha:

"Abandoning the taking of life, the ascetic Gautama dwells refraining from taking life, without stick or sword."

--Digha Nikaya 1.18

"Hatreds do not ever cease in this world by hating, but by love. This is an eternal truth... Overcome anger by love, overcome evil by good. Overcome the miser by giving. Overcome the liar by truth."

--Dhammapada 1.5, 17.3

"If one should give you a blow with his hand, with a stick, or with a dagger, you should abandon all desires and utter nothing evil."

--Majjhima Nikaya 21.6

Now, do you have a non-Tantric source to refute these (all you've indirectly cited is a Tantric source)? I ask for a non-Tantric source, b/c if you wish to claim the Tantras to be historically accurate, then you must also believe that Lord Shiva encourages promiscuity, necrophilia, prostitution, the abandonment of all forms of worship for Yoni Puja, and meat-eating as long as it's done as a form of self-realization. But, I'm guessing you don't want to go down that road. ;)

Quote:

<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(102, 102, 102); padding-left: 3ex; padding-right: 3ex;" bgcolor="#e0e0e0"> Originally Posted by lokeshvara

for clarification. the buddha didn't die from eating pork products. he died from poison truffles. you'll have to forgive me as i don't remember the pali or sanskrit term for it but it was rendered as not being pigs' meat as in pork but the food pigs eat:ie: truffles. this is common belief within almost all of buddhism with the acception of some theravada traditions. the quotes from the ajanh are from a theravada perspective and the majority of buddhists in the world do not belong to this tradition. as for the buddha's stance on vegatarianism, within the mahayana tripitaka it is clear that meat products are adharmic and should be avoided, dairy is ok but even that is avoided by many of the devout.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

by kingdecember

pork or truffles?:confused::)

http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/JR-MEL/waley.htm

Shambhala is not buddhist and it is not a lethel marshal art. if you are refering to the Warriors of Shambhala it is a metaphor for the internal struggle to over come the three poisons. it was developed by Chogyam Trungpa as a means of teachings spiritual values without including religion. it includes, hatha yoga, flower arranging, calligraphy, and breath meditation (not too lethal)

The martial arts we are talkin about are the ones that are perfected & practised by "Ahimsak" Buddhists like Shaolin Kung-Fu, Thai Kick boxing, the Samurai, the tibetan martial arts & various other forms that developed in other buddhist nations.

Historians claim that the origins of all forms of eastern martial arts can be traced back to a form of martial art practised in southern india by buddhist monks ;)

what is the need for such lethal martial arts if you believe in ahimsa ? :)

The martial arts we are talkin about are the ones that are perfected & practised by "Ahimsak" Buddhists like Shaolin Kung-Fu, Thai Kick boxing, the Samurai, the tibetan martial arts & various other forms that developed in other buddhist nations.

Historians claim that the origins of all forms of eastern martial arts can be traced back to a form of martial art practised in southern india by buddhist monks ;)

Perhaps the need for self-defence?

It is not the case that people proficient in martial arts went around beating up other people.

Cheers

i think perhaps you may want to do a little more research about this topic instead of make quick judgements.

the principles of shaolin kung fu were not buddhist inspired but belong to the daoist tradition. the system of kung fu is heavely based on the manipulation of qi energy which is absolutely not buddhist. however when buddhism entered china it merged with local religions (it did this throughout asia) so in china there are many daoists who include buddhist ideas and deities within their tradition. the Shaolin temple is a mixed temple. Kung fu was originally developed by the daoists as a way to protect the monastary from invading hordes. it was meant for protection not as an invading force. today the real shaolin tradition doesn't exist, the communists took care of that. what we have today is a group of circus performers under the guise of shaolin.

the samurai are a political group that were absolutely never considered to be a buddhist institution. were there some budddhists who were samurai, possibly but during a great number of years that the samurai were around, buddhism in japan had been outlawed. the samurai followed the code of bushido which is the way of the warior. it was centered on ideas of honor and devotion to one's master and emperor. it was not a buddhist code.

as for thai kickboxing, there are plenty of devout hindus in south india who practice their own form of martial arts. the point though is, the kick boxing is NOT buddhist but a part of thai culture. if you go to a thai temple you will not find kick boxers there or anyone giving kick boxing lessons.

i think perhaps you are missing the point, that being the buddha's teachings are ahimsa. it is found over and over and over again through out the entire buddhist cannon. the very first precept lay and ordained take is to abstain from taking life and to do everything in one's power to perserve it. does every buddhist follow this? definitely not but it is the teaching regardless.

i am curious too, what vested interest do you have in disputing the buddha? i have seen you do it in other threads too. obviously my interest is that i came out of the buddhist tradition so i am intimately aware of it's traditions, teachings, and daily practices. i only respond here to give that insight and let others make the call if they believe him to be or not to be an avatara.

based on the teachings of the mahayana and my own experience, i believe him to be, that is one of the reasons i am moving out of the tradition in to a more complete one. whether or not anyone else thinks it, that is their choice. and i certainly don't want to try and argue for it against anyone else. i'm only trying here to present all of the information so others can make their own decisions.

Jai Shree Krishna!!!

Decay is inherent in all compounded things.

Strive on with diligence.

Buddha’s last words

Is as pure as knowledge cures ignorance.

Or that faith fails to the truth!

Better still; knowledge evolves. Strive for the truth!

Few more reasons why there wasn't any need for a 'Buddha Avatara' or in other words Buddha probably wasn't an Avatara,

Some Vedic Verses:

<!--[if !supportLists]-->1.Let not wicked impulses destroy your character - Rig. 1.38.6<!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportLists]-->2.Do not retaliate against any man even if he harms you - Rig.1.141.8<!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportLists]-->3.Process of self-realization automatically destroys evil desires - Rig. 2.30.5<!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportLists]-->4.Will power can conquer passionate urges of sense organs - Rig. 5.31.3<!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportLists]-->5.Be humble and not boastful; Avoid egoism - Rig 6.52.1<!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportLists]-->6.Idle mind is an easy pray to evil thoughts - Rig. 10.22.8<!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportLists]-->7.Do not think or act maliciously but tread on righteous path - Rig. 10.57.1<!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportLists]-->8.Dispel ignorance through patience and perseverance (Sadana) - Yajur. 3.61<!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportLists]-->9.Do not forget earthly duties while in spiritual moods - Yajur 5.43<!--[endif]-->

10.Rise high and maintain your magnanimity - Yajur. 13.1<!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportLists]-->11.With virtue and vitality establish yourself on the earth (Yoga) - Yajur. 17.72<!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportLists]-->12.Behave with others as you would with yourself - Yajur. 40.6<!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportLists]-->13.Forgiveness, Compassion and Service are qualities that make you lovable by all - Yajur.40.6<!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportLists]-->14.Be always brave. The brave are invincible - Atharva.20.47.3<!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportLists]-->15.Be non-violent and persistent to get rid of all evil and evil impulses - Sama. 308

:pray: :pray:..........;)<!--[endif]-->

Peace be the earth, peaceful the ether, peaceful heaven, peaceful the waters, peaceful the herbs, peaceful the trees. May all Gods bring me peace. May there be peace through these invocations of peace. With these invocations of peace which appease everything, I render peaceful whatever here is terrible, whatever here is cruel, whatever here is sinful. Let it become auspicious, let everything be beneficial to us.--Atharva Veda: X. 191. 4

Let us have concord with our own people, and concord with people who are strangers to us; Asvins, create between us and the strangers a unity of hearts. May we unite in our midst, unite in our purposes, and not fight against the divine spirit within us. Let not the battle-cry rise amidst many slain, nor the arrows of the War-God fall with the break of day.--Atharva Veda

Let your aims be common, and your hearts be of one accord, and all of you be of one mind, so you may live well together.--Rig Veda X . 191

One should never do that to another which one regards as injurious to one's own self. This, in brief, is the rule of dharma. Yielding to desire and acting differently, one becomes guilty of adharma. --Mahabharata XVIII:113.8.

Those high-souled persons who desire beauty, faultlessness of limbs, long life, understanding, mental and physical strength and memory should abstain from acts of injury.--Mahabharata XVIII:115.8.

Ahimsa is the highest dharma. Ahimsa is the best tapas. Ahimsa is the greatest gift. Ahimsa is the highest self-control. Ahimsa is the highest sacrifice. Ahimsa is the highest power. Ahimsa is the highest friend. Ahimsa is the highest truth. Ahimsa is the highest teaching.--Mahabharata XVIII:116.37-41.

Everyone should make offerings to all creatures; thereby one achieves the propitiation of all creatures. Every day one should make gifts, even if it be only with a cup of water: thus one achieves the propitiation of human beings.--Yajur Veda

Brahmins misinterpreted Vedas :P