bija

pleasing cows - a gentle scratch

Rate this topic

An anga of bhajan from Sri Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu-bindu

Go (cows)

In the Gautamiya Tantra the following is said regarding the glories of the cow:

gavam kanduyanam kuryat gograsam gau pradaksinam

gosu nityam prasannasu gopala pi prasidati

The worship of the cow is accomplished by gently scratching her limbs, by offering her a mouthful of green grass, and by circumambulating her. By pleasing the cow, Sri Gopala also becomes pleased.

-Anyone who has worked at a dairy milking cows knows how much a sweet jersey with big eye-lashes loves a good old scratch on its hind legs - as its nectar milk is offered in service. Devotional service is easy to perform:pray:

She will never forget you!

Haribol!

But why are the cows all lines up behind a fence? I hope they were not killed!

I am sure they will be. Note the ear tags. They are in the factory farm process, which includes the dairy industry and ends in slaughter.

Scraching the legs, offering grass, circumambulating, these are loving gestures but they become meaningless if the performer turns around and contributes to their eventual slaughter.

In our present climate I see boycotting the commercial dairy industry as a more meaningful offering of respect and love.

I am sure they will be. Note the ear tags. They are in the factory farm process, which includes the dairy industry and ends in slaughter.

Scraching the legs, offering grass, circumambulating, these are loving gestures but they become meaningless if the performer turns around and contributes to their eventual slaughter.

In our present climate I see boycotting the commercial dairy industry as a more meaningful offering of respect and love.

Wish Vaishnavas could show similar compassion toward the starving human populace.:rolleyes:

Wish Vaishnavas could show similar compassion toward the starving human populace.:rolleyes:

How do you know what Vaishnavas do in charity? Doesn't it go against the spirit of charity and the spirit of humility to give even the smallest bit and then go out and tell everyone about it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by theist

I am only responsible for my own actions. I choose not to take direct part in cow slaughter by buying meat or commercial milk or the secondary by-products like leather.

Some people will boycott leather because it is a product of violence but then use milk which is also a product of the same violence. :confused: Go figure.

Well I am not one of them.

He says adding milk to the boycott of meat and leather is somehow just putting one's finger in the dyke as it won't solve the whole problem. But he also advocates getting everyone to stop eatting meat as if that isn't also outting one's finger in the dyke considering it is a pie in sky ideal that 6 1/2 billion people are going to do either.

The prescription according to Nrsingha is to make everyone Krishna conscious. DUH! Get practical and leave your 'delusion of gradeur' dreams behind. First thing is to quit causing suffering to the cows yourself then think about the rest of the world.

Example is better than precept.

Good article on the subject by Sivarama swami.

http://www.dandavats.com/?p=4063

However, the modern system of simply farming cows, inseminating them so they’re constantly milking rather than allowing it to take place in a scheduled way — which is good for the overall health of the cow, so it’s not always giving milk, and it’s not always inseminated — that is certainly violent, and the answer to that is not to become a vegan, or to stop drinking milk. The answer is to drink milk procured only by the proper means. Reason being is Krishna drinks milk, it is part of our diet, and go brahmanya hitaya ca — a whole culture is based on drinking milk. It’s not something we are willing to sacrifice. Therefore, we need to have farming communities as Srila Prabhupada established, where cow protection is a priority. For this reason Srila Prabhupada said to keep as many cows as possible, which is a tall order.

But if we do keep as many cows as possible, and if we have cow protection, and if devotees and congregation members are actually protecting those cows and maintaining them, then we can have enough milk to provide temples and congregation members and everyone with milk.

Then you’re above this kind of criticism. You don’t need to say, “Oh welll, I’m a Hare Krishna, I’ve offered it to Krishna, and therefore I’m free from the reaction.” It is questionable if you’re free from the reaction. Why? Srila Prabhupada has made it clear that our duty is cow protection. Krishna set the personal example of cow protection. Therefore, just because we are devotees, just because we offered some milk then we think we’re free from the reaction for the violence that’s involved in procuring that milk–and remember that the cow, the bull, and the calf are later all slaughtered, and that’s something you’re also involved in when you’re drinking milk–then you have a very hard argument to try to defeat. In fact, it’s not an argument you can defeat.

Theist Prabhu Ji, I must say that I truly admire your following of go-dharma.

Thank you for the nice words. I try to do the same for all other animals as well as cows. I boycott silk because the worms are killed. I don't use honey because of the violence to the bees and honey is afterall regurgetation from an flying insect.

Of course perfect ahimsa is not possible in this world. Who knows how many insects I crush beneath my feet everyday. We are living in the world of death and it's impossible to avoid. We should however do what we can to minimize the suffering we cause others.

cowpu2.jpg Lord Dhanavantri in Agni Purana and Sage Vasistha in Brhat Parashara smrti

All the Demigods live in the body of the cow .The holy places lives in the cows legs. Godess Lakshmi lives in the cows heart. A place where cows stay is considered sanctified, and a person who dies there certainly attains liberation.

One should see,offer obesiences to, and circumbulate the cow. By doing so one is supposed to have circumbulated the entire earth, with its seven islands. The cow is the mother of all. She gives happiness to everyone. People who desire prosperity should worship and circumbulate the cow.

By circumbulating the cow, one attains the result of circumbulating the whole world. A foolish person who beats or kills the cow goes to hell. A person who saves the life of a cow, attains the result of giving 100 cows in charity. Rare are those who worship mother cow.

By scratching the body of the cow and by removing the dust and the worms from the cows body one removes all his sinful reactions. If one saves a cow from Dangerous situation attains the result of performing a horse sacrifice. One should treat the cows with great love and respect.

If one saves a cow from Dangerous situation attains the result of performing a horse sacrifice. One should treat the cows with great love and respect.

A cow in the hands of a commercial dairy farmer IS IN A DAGEROUS SITUATION.

So true Theist. Keep pressing this truth in public forums please. Thx.

Maybe oneday we can be free from our addiction to industrial milk, and some how drink the nectar milk from fully loved cows (who have been hand groomed and cleaned and patted with affection daily). Can you imagine how nectar that milk would taste after offering it to Sri Bala-gopala.

By scratching the body of the cow and by removing the dust and the worms from the cows body one removes all his sinful reactions.

Maybe oneday we can be free from our addiction to industrial milk,

When that days comes is up to each of us individually. Why not make today your own freedom day by boycotting the cow torturers?

I will try oneday Theist. I have one good friend who is a kind man. Runs a dairy. Maybe his milk will have to do for now. I will try mate.

Please do. I suspect your friend, the kind man, still has to sell his less productive milk cows to be slaughtered for meat in the end, Consider what he does with the male calves that are born onto his farm. Most likely they are sold for veal.