IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Kulapavana

Brotherhood of Eternal Love

Rate this topic

Brotherhood of Eternal Love. The Brotherhood had roots in Eastern spirituality and was associated with Timothy Leary when LSD first became popular during the early 1960s. The Brotherhood tried to instill Eastern philosophy along with the psychedelic drugs its members manufactured and marketed. One former Brotherhood follower joined ISKCON and eventually became one of the eleven gurus. ...

Anybody knows which Iskcon guru was a former member of BEL?

Before they moved to Idylwild, CA, they lived on Woodland Drive, next door to the original Laguna Beach CA temple. They would come to the sunday feasts, but they were quite puffed up and antigonistic to Visnujnanas group. JT was an LSD guru prior to joining ISKCON (and after leaving, too), so I would probably bet on him, as he was tight with richard alpert (AKA Ramm Dass).

The most Famous BEL member was the snowman (read Falcon and the Snowman), who was the notorious spy who was really an idiot thinking he was getting away with anything. I knew him in 68, when I hung in Palos Verdes. He was a good connection to hash oil. But some of his buds blew themselves up in Laguna making rancid shoe polish out of the wrong kind of alcohol.

I really couldnt stand BEL. They were so impersonal, and their psuedo-philosophy was really stupid, which I picked up on even before Srila Prabhupada properly educated me. They insisted that I am you, and you are me, and that just leaves both of us total nobodys. Om Tau, bro, and they couldnt surf. But I was quite entertained by the sunshine express dude, and the christmas day laguna music festival was quite fun.

mahaksadasa

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=276 height=431 rowSpan=9>img28.jpg</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD height=30></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=132 colSpan=3 height=30><MAP name=map630><AREA shape=RECT coords=0,0,132,30 href="http://www.jayatirtha.com/pil/"></MAP></TD><TD colSpan=4></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD height=12></TD><TD colSpan=7></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD height=30></TD><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=133 colSpan=3 height=30><MAP name=map623><AREA shape=RECT coords=0,0,133,30 href="http://www.jayatirtha.com/bio/"></MAP></TD><TD colSpan=3></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD height=12></TD><TD colSpan=7></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD height=30></TD><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=133 colSpan=3 height=30><MAP name=map631><AREA shape=RECT coords=0,0,133,30 href="http://www.jayatirtha.com/gopal/"></MAP></TD><TD colSpan=3></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD height=15></TD><TD colSpan=7></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD height=30></TD><TD colSpan=2></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=132 colSpan=3 height=30><MAP name=map635><AREA shape=RECT coords=0,0,132,30 href="index.html"></MAP></TD><TD colSpan=2></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD height=38></TD><TD colSpan=7></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD height=23></TD><TD colSpan=9></TD></TR><TR><TD height=57></TD><TD colSpan=6></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=302 colSpan=3 height=57><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=3 height=3></TD><TD width=294></TD><TD width=3></TD></TR><TR><TD height=49></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=294 height=49>

<CENTER>VRINDAVAN 1981</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>stoned cold...</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Was watching a tv documentary the other night about the water-men or ferry-men... oh krsna I can't remember the name...

They used to blow up things...(in the documentary one member said 'we finally realized violence does not work':crazy2:)

It had some old footage of Tim Leary after these post-men broke him out of jail...

the weather-men?

The 60's and 70's culture interested me most of my life since childhood... my birth date is 6-9-69 ....odd flower child! To be honest these days I find 2008 more interesting, when I went to the Haight most people seemed miserable. But a postive outcome of this flawed interest was introduction to Sri Krsna.

This video is worth watching

Fierce Grace - click here

Raam Daas talks about his experience of stroke, his recovery...and how he did not recall God during the stroke...its very humble video.

The video really brings home the importance of constant rememberance, and actually confirmed in my heart how Srila Prabhupada's message is well founded. Some years ago I did an 'aged care course' at a TAFE College, this video also has some good insights in that regard. Very interesting.

Before they moved to Idylwild, CA, they lived on Woodland Drive, next door to the original Laguna Beach CA temple. They would come to the sunday feasts, but they were quite puffed up and antigonistic to Visnujnanas group. JT was an LSD guru prior to joining ISKCON (and after leaving, too), so I would probably bet on him, as he was tight with richard alpert (AKA Ramm Dass).

The most Famous BEL member was the snowman (read Falcon and the Snowman), who was the notorious spy who was really an idiot thinking he was getting away with anything. I knew him in 68, when I hung in Palos Verdes. He was a good connection to hash oil. But some of his buds blew themselves up in Laguna making rancid shoe polish out of the wrong kind of alcohol.

I really couldnt stand BEL. They were so impersonal, and their psuedo-philosophy was really stupid, which I picked up on even before Srila Prabhupada properly educated me. They insisted that I am you, and you are me, and that just leaves both of us total nobodys. Om Tau, bro, and they couldnt surf. But I was quite entertained by the sunshine express dude, and the christmas day laguna music festival was quite fun.

mahaksadasa

Interesting reading, tells us more about those days when Prabhupada was laying the basic foundations of Lord Caitanyas movement in America. The first devotees did not come to Sydney until 1969.

Our source downunder for street LSD in 68-69 was mainly America Servicemen on leave to Sydney from Vietnam (technically once again thanks to the American Government who was their employer)

Its also intersting to note by history buffs, that Owsley Stanley, who made most of the 60s street LSD and managed the Grateful Dead (http://www.thebear.org/) lives in Australia now (since 1981) and still takes LSD from time to time

One clear point has to be made here, Owsley Stanley was a business man and a drug pusher in the 60s who made millions of dollars and spent many years in jail for making LSD. Anyone young ones out there who think that taking LSD is cool and helps make you spiritually inclined, well, not always, thats also an illusion, It depends whether one is spiritually inclined in the first place

Owsley Stanley is a grumpy old man and dedicated meat eater who loves his beef stakes every day, he loves eating his meat and claims LSD never gave him spiritual realizations whatsoever.

He is now just another Aussi meat head (drongo)

HARI.jpg

admin just deleted my pic of the famous aussie icon - the meat pie with sauuuce - so here is a not so crass edit - krsna and lsd!:crazy:

strange days indeed!

*sorry about that admin...must be an aussie insensibility thing;)

the weather-men?

Yes weathermen or weather underground. The SDS (Students for a Democratic Society) was the most radical wing of the weathermen. They did the bombings.

My heros back then for a short time. I used to sell their propaganda along with other hateful political crap in downtown Portland Oregon. I had a prime corner where I would always go. Then one day as I passed by that corner there was a sankirtana party lead by Locana das occupying the corner.

Things have been looking up ever since.

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; BORDER-TOP: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex; BORDER-LEFT: #666666 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #666666 1px solid" bgColor=#e0e0e0>Originally posted by Beggar

Soon after Srila Prabhupada's earthly lila, Jayatirtha (one of the "eleven appointed ISKCON gurus) became a big advocate of LSD calling it the "sacrament". He believed that the soma referered to in shastra was a psychadelic tonic.

He gradually became so bewildered that he was having affairs with his follower's wives, thinking it was spiritual. His so-called lila ended when he was beheaded by a disciple in the U.K. in the mid to late eighties. When Srila Sridhar Maharaja first heard of Jayatirtha's predeliction for psychadelic drugs he said LSD stands for "leads to spiritual death"if one continues taking it.

(Jayatirtha already had a relationship with Srial Sridhar Maharaja and was posing as a standard devotee). He wondered how could western devotees think that something material can give something spiritual and would quote from Bhagavatam, bhaktya sanjayate bhaktya, "only bhakti can give bhakti." And who is bhakti?

One time in the 70's a devotee in the temple left for several weeks to go back out into "Maya". He came back in an extemely enthusiastic and faithfull mood. I was inquisitive about his new determination and he told me that he had a very wonderful vision of Krsna while on LSD.

The temple president told us how a few years earlier a girl had come to the temple while Prabhupada was there and how she insisted that she had seen Krsna on LSD. Prabhupada tried to explain to her how it was more a less an hallucination, but she insisted that she had a vision of Krsna on LSD. Srila Prabhupada finally said,

"Alright you have seen Krsna, now serve him."

The big difference between my devotee friend I mentioned above and Jayatirtha is that my friend did not take LSD with the intention of having a spiritual experience nor did he take it again. Jayatirtha on the other hand founded a psychadelic version of the Krsna Consciousness Movement and the result was chaos and finally his own destruction.

Srila Sridhar Maharaja would tell the story of a man who used to show pilgrams, "Krsna in a tree". In one open area there was a tree several hundred feet from the road and from that distance if you looked closely it seemed you would see Krsna in his three fold bending form.

The whole thing became quite popular. Finally the man came to the Math and Srila Sridhar Maharaja explained to him how he was simply cheating others. Srila Sridhar Maharaja said, "We don't want that Krsna, we want the Krsna who is very difficult to attain." The main surrendered and became Srila Sridhar Maharaja's disciple.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Interesting Story

Yes weathermen or weather underground. The SDS (Students for a Democratic Society) was the most radical wing of the weathermen. They did the bombings.

My heros back then for a short. I used to sell their propaganda along with other hateful political crap in downtown Portland Oregon. I had a prime corner where I would always go. Then one day as I passed by that corner there was a sankirtana party lead by Locana das occupying the corner.

Things have been looking up ever since. by theist

That is a wonderful testimony of Srila Prabhupada's mission and grace. Thank you Theist. I love stories like this.

dont need a weatherman to know which the wind blows. Yall probably know some of my best friends were SDS, and some of them went weathermen. The weather underground were the killers, and just like the black panthers, the black muslims, the hells angels (and all groups who didnt toe the line, including ISKCON), they were infiltrated by black ops types, some coerced due to severe criminal penalties if not (see the movie Jacobs Ladder, the chemist character, a story about MKUltra). All these groups were misled just as sure as Uzis and high grade coke flowed into the poorest neighborhoods, and imploded. Watch the movie, and tell me the chemist doesnt remind ya of my old friend JT.

Some world, eh? Now ya know why they call it MAYA, "that which is not".

I love my graveyard gig, all my clients are dead and dont give me any trouble, the most non-hostile work environment ever.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

ther was a funny competition between leary (Brotherhood) and Owsley (Merry pranksters/SF music groups). The difference between orange sunshine and the black double domes or the electric kool aid. Leary's guys did quiet meditation at fuller creek and hallucination (Tahquitz) Falls, Owsley did Quicksilver Messenger Service and the amazing cippolina and the Family Dog.

Also funny, the party acid deadheads took to prabhupada, the psueado spiritualist BEL 025 mg crowd did not.

mahak

I love my graveyard gig, all my clients are dead and dont give me any trouble, the most non-hostile work environment ever. by mahak

You are lucky, in my cave the serpent is coiled to strike, and my dog is ready to chew my socks. In aloofness I ignore them both, like a lion with cubs -

- smelling the incense to remember.:)

Thx for the stories!

Just like to add that Jayatirtha prabhu was reserved and even shy around women, as one of his students I should just like to put the record straight

Jayatirtha prabhu was not interested in sex with his disciples, he spent most of his free time engaged in Hari nama Sankirtana with his disciples and

amongst the women in his sangam like Gita Govinda, Madri, Sita, Lila Mo, Radha, Guna, Yasoda, Gaurangi, Draupadi,Kamala, ect , they would laugh

in your face if you suggested such a perverted story as the one sighted above.

Come on guys stop spreading here say by envious people looking to stand on the heads of saintly souls.

Srila Prabhupada is blessing him, it would take a most misguided person to try to stand between them with foul lies.

Where there is Lords Krsna , Guru and bhata, love, sweet smelling charm and divine grace flow in loving lila.

If we could spread just a faint hint of the magic Jayatirtha distributed in his short life we would not be able to remain in

this place of misguided and lost souls.

Jayatirtha always comes after Prabhupada, they left this world of Bhumi seva 10 years apart.

Prabupada on 14-11-1977

Jayatirtha on 13-11-1987

A mystical union of causeless mercy.