IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

Why should I bother wearing Tulasi beads around my neck???

Rate this topic

You do not deserve an answer if you cannot figure it out yourself.

I'm sorry I don't quite get your banter.

One should not speak lest he reveal that he is a fool.

Right?

But on the other hand a tiger has fangs because he will use them.

Right?

Your picture shows [you? or a symbolic you?] holding a big gun [machismo? or a symbolic cactus prick?].

Yes, that's a rhetorical question.

We must all love eachother while were young during the vietnam era so that when we're 53 years old, we can exude wisdom toward our young wards.

Right warden?

So you've met Tirtha?

You don't like me? You don't want to hear from me?

You think I abide fools? Stand up like a man!

I'm just a kid who knows the way of man, why the defensive attitude?

Make a point. Everyone likes a sporting event.

How's that for "my figure-ing" habibi? meleeheh? Nam? Salam-a-lakum, Habibi!

yours in Krishna's service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,

Bhaktajan and his little friends

I'm sorry I don't quite get your banter.

One should not speak lest he reveal that he is a fool.

Right?

But on the other hand a tiger has fangs because he will use them.

Right?

Your picture shows [you? or a symbolic you?] holding a big gun [machismo? or a symbolic cactus prick?].

Yes, that's a rhetorical question.

We must all love eachother while were young during the vietnam era so that when we're 53 years old, we can exude wisdom toward our young wards.

Right warden?

So you've met Tirtha?

You don't like me? You don't want to hear from me?

You think I abide fools? Stand up like a man!

I'm just a kid who knows the way of man, why the defensive attitude?

Make a point. Everyone likes a sporting event.

How's my that for "my figure-ing" habibi? meleeheh? Nam? Salam-a-lakum, Habibi!

yours in Krishna's service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,

Bhaktajan and his little friends

Somehow or other you have rubbed me the wrong way. I do not know you. Before I answer any personal questions as you have so brazenely asked, answer the same questions; ie when did you first wear kunti-mala and chant on japa beads.

Yes, I know Tirtha.

And I am holding a very small firearm in that picture. (Taken during Operation Just Cause; aka Panama invasion 1989)

Here's my last rub to you:

I salute you for service {I presume you were part of the military of USA}.

I do not want Personal answers. I ask public questions about public issues.

Truthfully, your picture rubbed me the wrong way--maybe, it was because I can feel your pain? [since a picture speaks a thousand words].

I will take your unspoken advise

I remember that blissful photo of you, Random Prabhu, from when you were bathing in the Ganga (last year?) in Navadvipa. It clearly shows you wearing neckbeads, not that it's anyone's business of course. I was searching for it on BVML but it doesn't appear to be there any longer.

Anyway, I salute your good service, without the rub.

(edit: I later found it in a photo gallery on that website)

I can feel your pain? [since a picture speaks a thousand words]. posted by Bhakta Jan

You know Jan the old saying 'a picture can speak a thousand words'. Well these days I dont believe that saying. Or what is that other one 'you can judge a book by its cover'. These are very basic visions of the world aren't they?

Psychology goes much deeper, but still psychology is normally (most times) caught in our own subjective world (reality). Of how we make sense of something very very big (living on planet earth in a somewhat unexplainable universe).

Pictures can rub up the wrong way. When I first saw Random Prabhu's photo I felt pain. But the pain was mine!! It was my experience of the world. And one thing that takes away my dignity these days is when people paint a picture on my canvas of their own psychological pain. I made that mistake by judging Random Prabhu! But then again most are conditioned souls and we all tend to do this. Because we desire to be Lords of all we survey!

So we need to go beyond psychology into a transpersonal state (trance)...we have called that state 'Krsna consciousness'? Beyond the temporary (imperfect) forms of our own subjective mind states and lording mentality. Therefore my pain is not Random Prabhu's. I have no right to splatter my colors on his canvas.

Now why should I feel compelled to comment on your discourse with Random. Because it interests me, because I feel close.

War has profoundly changed my life. I got angry at America. I got angry at watching death and carnage every night on the news. Why? Because of pain!

I lived in Gautemala as a 23 year old in 1993-1994. I heard the stories of the genocide of 1984. 200,000 killed! I felt the pain of those who saw their husbands four quartered and hung in doorways of their homes, to warn the villagers not to join the guerra (rebel) movement. I heard stories of simple men who wanted peace and not war. I decided in those years to give up on money! I heard of the American backing of a corrupt government just for what? Money? My world view shattered in those years.

Then I left Guatemala in January 1st 1994. Crossed the border into Mexico with no idea what had happened that night. Chiapas Zapatista uprising...civil war! I had no money at that point ( a few pennies)...and the corrupt Gautemala border official would not let me back in (he wanted a bribe - I could not pay). The road south to the safe haven in Mexico was the only safe path. No tourist would loan me the bus fair. I waited for hours, skinny and tattered after living with Indians for months! So the only way was to hitch a ride through the war zone when the chance arose.

I saw fear!!! Women panicking...fearing rape. Fighting 500 meters away as we sped down the road for two days to get to San Cristobal de las Casas. The closest safe haven. Soldiers hiding in bushes in flack jackets on the side of the road (the roads were covered in rocks and bullet riddled buses).....go go go...get out of here the soldier cried!!!

I saw American choppers carrying machine guns, American planes dropping bombs on villages. I saw poor village people who have nothing, suffering...and fighting because of the injustice of the North American Free Trade Agreement that would take their homes and livelyhood. Just like the American Fruit Corporation in Gautemala in the 80's...and their government backed by the Land of Liberty! (I now know in wisdom no material world view is truth)

I fled San Cristobal when the road was open again. Was pulled up by soldiers and pushed against buses by young men in green (they were scared kids)....with gun pointed in my back. Later that day with cold metal pressed against my head. Hatred took seed in my heart!

When I got back to San Francisco I lived in the Mexican Quarter...and saw young people protesting about what I had just seen. I was shy...so did not speak. My world view shattered in those short months. Too young to process what was happening in my mind. The foundational ego began to disintegrate....into a type of PTSS. The LSD and Ganja only made it worse, bad medicine.

Years later...we have George Bush and more bull. The pain was still there, it awoke full blown this time into anger and hatred! I knew the lie of material agendas....the flaw of world views and economy based systems. After September 11 the pain increased. These politicians forget people like me....do they feel pain upon seeing death in this ghastly material realm. I dont think to the fullest degree they do. Thank God Srila Prabhupada helped me heal in time...to process all this this time!

I feel for the young soldiers these days....who are too young to process what is happening to them. Maybe their loss of faith in a God will reawaken oneday...into full maturity and wisdom. And patience! Tolerance! Humility!

So....

Now when I see photos of war...I have learnt not to get as angry. You can't judge a book by its cover, even though most people do. We all feel pain...and a desire to free the soul from fear!

Isn't it ironic that the Bhagavad Gita is on a battle field. And teaches us the way of liberation and beyond. As Srila Prabhupada said (paraphrased), 'this world is not fit for gentlemen! The Krsna consciousness movement is based on compassion...to end suffering! To allow people to go back home!'

We each have our duty to perform while in this body. And we should try not to attack another person who performs his duty in Krsna consciousness. Even if he is a soldier. Even if that duty triggers pain in us. We must respect such a man as a gentle devotee full of compassion, non-different to Arjuna (kshatriya)!

Please forgive me Random if my post is too personal. I am sorry for my offences in the past.

y.s. Nava.

Why should we wear Tulsi Neck beads?

One reason...

To show the world we are devotees of Sri Krsna, and sadhakas aspiring to perform our duty in Krsna consciousness.

Some will judge harshly...few will see our hearts!People love painting pictures of their minds on others canvas. Maybe some should read the book!;) Maybe some should chant Hari! And see the children dance!

Cat Stevens

Well I think its fine, building jumbo planes.

Or taking a ride on a cosmic train.

Switch on summer from a slot machine.

Yes, get what you want to if you want, cause you can get anything.

I know weve come a long way,

Were changing day to day,

But tell me, where do the children play?

Well you roll on roads over fresh green grass.

For your lorry loads pumping petrol gas.

And you make them long, and you make them tough.

But they just go on and on, and it seems that you cant get off.

Oh, I know weve come a long way,

Well youve cracked the sky, scrapers fill the air.

But will you keep on building higher

til theres no more room up there?

Will you make us laugh, will you make us cry?

Will you tell us when to live, will you tell us when to die?

I know weve come a long way,

Random's picture is a modern version of a ksatriya holding a club or a bow and arrows. Sheesh what is with all the mundane peacenic sentiment? It is really weaknic sentiment. Really odd coming from a group of people that claim the Bhagavad-gita as a scripture they follow and hold the Mahabharata sacred. Ever read anything about war in the Srimad Bhagavatam?

War and peace keeping by force is a just a harsh reality in the material world. The fact that street thugs haven't eaten us all alive by now is due to the power of the state and your local gun carrying cop on the beat.

"Soft as a rose and as hard as a thunderbolt."

I agree Theistji, we reside presently on the material ground...not a powder-puff cloud. Liberation will not be found if we deny reality of our present position and don't accept our present station. We all have been taught about false renunciation and the need to perform our own duty. I mean super-soul has placed us in our present body and inclination.

Jaya Radhey...hope they are nice beads:). Here is a cool site a local artisan shared with me that may be of interest http://www.etsy.com/

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=tag_title&search_query=mala

Bhagavad Gita As It Is Chapter 11 Verse 1

Purport: ....Now as fas as Arjuna is concerned, he says that his illusion is over. This means that Arjuna no longer thinks of Krsna as a mere human being, as a friend of his, but as the source of everything...

Text 14:

Then bewildered and astonished, his hair standing on end, Arjuna bowed his head to offer obiesances and with folded hands began to pray to the Supreme Lord.

Chapter 18 Verse 66:

Sri Krsna says...'Abandon all varities of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear.'

How we come to that point of surrender is clearly explained in the Gita. As Srila Prabhupada says, the ignorant will think we are just working like everybody else...but the reality is vastly different to that mundane vision. So it was with Arjuna!

Jaya Radhey...hope they are nice beads:). Here is a cool site a local artisan shared with me that may be of interest http://www.etsy.com/

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=tag_title&search_query=mala

Thx :) They're absolutely beautiful! I just need to find the 108 names of Tulasi Mataji to thank Her!

I really like the skull mala on there... I'd get it if it weren't made from actual bone (well... if I knew how they got the bone to make it)!

I remember that blissful photo of you, Random Prabhu, from when you were bathing in the Ganga (last year?) in Navadvipa. It clearly shows you wearing neckbeads, not that it's anyone's business of course. I was searching for it on BVML but it doesn't appear to be there any longer.

Anyway, I salute your good service, without the rub.

(edit: I later found it in a photo gallery on that website)

Thanks, prabhuji. I could care less about the snarky behavior of folks, I've had to deal with much more dangerous folks than goofballs on keyboards! It is disheartening to see such behavior among devotees, but Kaliyug......

A better photo than the Ganges dip:

p1010188.jpg

PEACE THRU SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!!!

. . . I feel for the young soldiers these days....who are too young to process what is happening to them. Maybe their loss of faith in a God will reawaken oneday...into full maturity and wisdom. And patience! Tolerance! Humility!

We each have our duty to perform while in this body. And we should try not to attack another person who performs his duty in Krsna consciousness. Even if he is a soldier.

Even if that duty triggers pain in us. We must respect such a man as a gentle devotee full of compassion, non-different to Arjuna (kshatriya)!

. . .

I have nothing but respect and envy for all ksatriya-workers.

I have not said anything to inflame anyone in my above post [except (?) to borrow the line, "well, isn't that special"--this is a line from the comic Television show 'Saturday Night Live' spoken by the Church-Lady character when she spoke to some-one she thought was not religious, or more jokeingly some-one she thought evil ie: some rock-n-roller, real estate tycoon, etc].

I saw a picture of a soldier--the the Thread topic --and requested to know if said warrior donned Tulasi Beads.

When the age & locale of the poster was revealed, and thus the era of his youth was also known--I sought words of wisdom that would comment on the passage of History.

That is what is called {for americans} 'AMERICANA' --the memorabilia of the American Experience in all forms & media.

I myself love contructive criticism--[have you every talked to a friend for a while and then found you had snot on your face--but your friend didn't say anything].

I have experienced that people who meet me fall into a comfort zone to such an extent that they envaribly unload all their baggage on my shoulders in an instant moment.

As a result of that, if I say anything approximating "being heavy" thus, new acquaintance again unloads more "personal baggage" [simular to a summer camp Councilor's bane].

Yet, if mutual therapy is what these threads are about I accept that--but open discussion is at the center.

Anyway, I consider myself at the service of any one's angry outbursts --that's something I respect, for equi-mindedness is something I exault.

The Topic:

'Americana [Little house on the Prairie, Norman Rockwell Paintings] & Knowing about enlightenment [Krsna Consciousness--more or less] before the [Vietnam] war ended only to have the worse war [stateless Gorilla-type Islam Fanatics] return in your [American born & bred of the greatest Generation {WWII era Vets}] later years' --Is what Ken Burns Ducumentaries are all about-- and what america continues to evolve from.

This topic is what I posed that be address.

So, Bija has written something to that point but from the outside in. And for that I say, Grasias compadre por esa estoria, es triste, y tampien muy, como se dice en espanol?, 'enlivening'.

If you people reading this knew me personally --ya'll be asking me for favors till my back broke, Why? Because I'm too nice a guy. Please don't beleive it.

PS: My Thanks to the moderator for deleting my postings after 6:08PM --thus concealing my approx Tulasi-Donning age and infamous compadres.

Oy vey, Your servant in Krsna consciousness,

Bhaktajan

As a result of that, if I say anything approximating "being heavy" thus, new acquaintance again unloads more "personal baggage" [simular to a summer camp Councilor's bane].

Yet, if mutual therapy is what these threads are about I accept that--but open discussion is at the center.

Anyway, I consider myself at the service of any one's angry outbursts --that's something I respect, for equi-mindedness is something I exault. by bhaktajan

Thank you Jan for your wisdom in this regard. My nature can tend to be very open, and to often use personal examples to bring across my thought and feelings clearly. Especially when I feel strongly about something. I realize now personal matters should only be revealed in the company of close devotees where love is developed to some extent. If you are the Bhakta Jan I think you are (I have seen your photo on Gurudeva's Vyasa Puja Book) - I open to you as a godbrother by revealing my mind.

Simple minded people, unfortunately, often choose to not see or ignore the complexities and guile in human nature - this is our shortcoming for sure:pray:.

Please try to understand Prabhu I was not angry in my last post to you - just truthful and transparent. There seemed to be an undercurrent of ill feeling in the question and answer - obviously I was wrong.

Nectar of Intrsuction

Offering gifts in charity, accepting charitable gifts, revealing one’s mind in confidence, inquiring confidentially, accepting prasāda and offering prasāda are the six symptoms of love shared by one devotee and another.

Confidence is a great word, here is one definition I like:

A state of confident hopefulness that events will be favorable.

Even though this is an impersonal internet forum, the dream is for sat-sangha.

Thank you Jan for your patience.

Bija Prabhu,

As for my ID I rather I kept incognito, But surely we're connected by 6 degrees of seperation, for I uncannily was present (or among) everyone through-out every tremor Iskcon went through.

Listen mate, whenI write I consciously try to be flowery.

When you write it is truely inspired poetry, I'm sure I'm not the only one who notices this. There's some matajis who write simularly, and we know which posters they are too.

I don't take offense--truely!

I will get fired up to chastice some one when I become aware that they are degrading themselves by their own mind/postings--that's what may seem like an excitable angry attitude on my part. It's me arguing on some else's defense that they should think better of them selves [usually when I think they know better ie: a lapsed Hindu that we often find ourself preaching to on these blogs.]

Thank you for your enlivening thoughts, Bija.

Thanks Jan.

I will let a cat out of the bag: actually my post about war expereince was for Random (wishing to be closer to him by telling him a bit about me). A few years ago I was a bit hostile in my mind toward all things war (as is obvious from my post:eek3:). So the post was actually my way to offer Random full respects and apoligies. Times change! Ofcourse he would not have picked up my mood a few years ago, due to grace.

Its amazing how Naam and Srila Prabhupada's books heal and change us into a closer semblance of what we originally are, and are to become. That is enlivening.;)

Hari! Hari!

Now that is not Bija and Jan driving in the car is it?:crazy: (good old buddies)

If so lets bring out the prickly cactus (that Jan mentioned)...and teach em' a good old lesson:uzi:.

(down with facists:mad: and the peace-nic:()

signed...bija's alter ego

(wearing tulsi mala)

[ATTACH]1719[/ATTACH]

post-5757-138274055773_thumb.jpg

Random Axis ki jay!

Please do not glorify this worthless mad-dog rascal who broke every vow I made to Srila Prabhupada and the Deities. Ones that are worthy of glorification are my steadfast Godbrothers and sisters who have remained in the sankirtan fire.

If it were not for Uncle Puru and Srila Gurudev, I would not have any service or connection....

Tulsi Worship - click here

Another reason to wear Tulsi Mala for me (just a personal realization) is the softness and warmth. Sri Tulsi devi is gentle and sweet, and loving. All these qualities are worth associating with. What better way to associate than to have this gentle Devi pressed against your skin.

Even with the greatest trials of life, having Sri Tulsi devi close, we can remember the times we have sung Tulsi Kirtan, and never fear the torments of Yamaraja.

Shri Tulasi Kirtana

namo namah tulasi krishna-preyasi

(vraje) radha-krishna-seva paba ei abhilashi (1)

O Tulasi, beloved of Krishna, I repeatedly offer pranama to you. My cherished desire

is to attain the seva of Shri Radha-Krishna Yugala-kishora.

je tomara sharana laya, tara vancha purna haya

kripa kari’ kara tare vrindavana-vasi (2)

All the desires of whoever takes shelter of you are fulfilled. Being so merciful, you

grant him residence in Vrindavana.

mora ei abhilasha, vilasa-kunje dio vasa

nayane heriba sada yugala-rupa-rashi (3)

I intensely desire that you please make me a resident of the pleasure groves (vilasakunja)

of Shri Vrindavana. Then I will be able to behold the beautiful pastimes of

Radha-Krishna.

ei nivedana dhara, sakhira anugata koro

seva-adhikara diya kara nija dasi (4)

I am presenting my heart-felt prayer that you make me a follower of the sakhis, thus

giving me the privilege of Radha-Krishna’s seva and making me your own maidservant.

dina krishna-dase kaya, ei jena mora haya

shri-radha-govinda-preme sada jena bhasi (5)

This fallen Krishnadasa begs to always bathe in the prema for Shri Radha and Govinda.

Shri Tulasi Parikrama and Arati

Shri Shrimad Bhakti Prajnana Keshava Gosvami Maharaja

namo namah tulasi krishna-preyasi (namo namah)

radha-krishna-nitya-seva - ei abhilashi (1)

je tomara sharana laya, sei krishna-seva paya,

kripa kari kara tare vrindavana-vasi

tulasi krishna-preyasi (namo namah) (2)

tomara carane dhari, more anugata kari’,

gaurahari-seva-magna rakha diva-nishi

tulasi krishna-preyasi (namo namah) (3)

dinera ei abhilasha, mayapure dio vasa,

angete makhiba sada dhama dhuli rashi

tulasi krishna-preyasi (namo namah) (4)

tomara arati lagi’, dhupa, dipa, pushpa magi,

mahima bakhani ebe hao more khushi

tulasi krishna-preyasi (namo namah) (5)

jagatera jata phula, kabhu nahe samatula,

sarva-tyaji krishna tava patra manjari vilasi

tulasi krishna-preyasi (namo namah) (6)

ogo vrinde maharani! krishna-bhakti pradayini!

tomara padapa-tale, deva-rishi kutuhale,

sarva-tirtha laye tara hana adhivasi

tulasi krishna-preyasi (namo namah) (7)

shri keshava ati dina, sadhana-bhajana-hina,

tomara ashraye sada namanande bhasi

tulasi krishna-preyasi (namo namah) (8)

O Shrimati Tulasi-devi! Desiring to enter the eternal service of Shri Radha and Krishna,

I repeatedly offer pranama to you, who are so dear to Shri Krishna. (1)

One who takes shelter of you attains the service of Shri Krishna. Being merciful, you

make him a resident of Vrindavana. (2)

Allow me to catch hold of your lotus feet. May you make me your intimate follower,

and day and night keep me immersed in the service of Shri Gaurahari. (3)

I am fallen but I desire that you make me a resident of Mayapura where I will always

smear the dust of the dhama on my body. (4)

Performing your arati with incense, ghee lamp, and flowers, I will derive great

happiness from describing your glories. (5)

Of all the flowers within the universe, none is your equal for Shri Krishna, putting aside

all of them, performs pastimes only with your leaves and manjaris. (6)

O Vrinde Maharani! Bestower of krishna-bhakti! All the demigods, sages and holy

places joyfully reside at your feet. (7)

Devoid of sadhana-bhajana, Shri Keshava takes shelter of you and attains unbroken

namananda. (8)