IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

Does liberty of free speech sometimes hurt the feelings of other devotees???

Rate this topic

Free Speech In Krishna Consciousness

<!-- end .post-top --><!-- the main section of the post goes here -->loolips.jpgBy

Kesava Krsna Dasa

Does the liberty of free speech earn us the right to say what we please, on matters that bother or irritate us, even if our words sometimes hurt the feelings of other devotees? If free speech means to either like, or not like what we say - because we cannot please everyone - does it mean that the hard truths must be revealed, to appease the irresistible urge for information? Does vaisnava culture allow free speech?

Are there limitations to what can be said at any time?

Sometimes, devotee advocates of unfettered free speech like to quote certain amendments to the American constitution, and thinkers like Chomsky. If we learn from history how the likes of Goebbels and Stalin also favoured free speech, that they liked, how can there be any consistent basis upon which to speak freely? Where does this freedom begin and end? If one man’s freedom is another mans imprisonment, how do certain devotees to free speech of this sort?

Yes, we devotees utilise our democratic freedoms to preach Krishna consciousness, and perhaps have a good old moan about irritable issues, but does free speech really exist? The answer is no. How can a world population governed by the three modes of material nature speak freely? To put it another way, how can people in general whom the intransigent chains of goodness, passion, and ignorance rigidly shackle, ever be free to speak freely?

Srila Prabhupada wrote,

“…it is to be understood that the conditioned soul is tightly tied by the ropes of illusion. A man bound by the hands and feet cannot free himself - he must be helped by a person who is unbound. Because the bound cannot help the bound, the rescuer must be liberated.” (BG 7.14 purport).

So clearly, vaisnava culture does not to bound speech.

There are unlimited relative things to talk about within this ‘endlessly mutable’ world, like assassinations, the clash of civilizations, earthquakes, war, soaring oil prices and so on, which make for grim, fearsome reading. These relative truths are indulgent for bound people who think they have the freedom to do so. Occasionally, we may read or hear vague ideas of truth like, “the truth is out there”, “born free”, or “the truth shall set you free”. However, who among the bound people know what these truths are?

The scientists will certainly stake a claim to truths that will free us form the evil bondage of religious beliefs and superstitions. The innumerable religious charlatans will claim their truths to be the one and only ways to bounden salvation. The truth is, these binding relative truths simply keep everyone imprisoned in this world of fear and death. Therefore, to appeal for freedom of speech based on bound thinking has no value in vaisnava culture.

freespech.jpgAnother inconvenience of bound speech is that a devotee is supposed to just grin and bear it, while a bound thinker vilifies and slanders all that is dear and sacred. So-called free speech cannot accommodate genuine truth in its fold; in fact, it belongs to the same league as the “all paths lead to the same goal” sentiment, which seeks to impose an artificial equality in society, which can never happen. However noble and accommodating these bound ideals sound, again, they have no place in a genuine truth culture.

Having come to Krishna consciousness, and following the regulative principles of freedom, while chanting in Nama-bhasa, our freedom path is paved, though not yet free in mind. As we inquire about freedom from this world, and perform devotional activities meant to free us, gives us a free-bound status, just like our tastastha constitution. How we communicate with each other as devotees can differentiate whether our speeches are free or bound.

If ever we read supposed devotional subject matter, which aims at addressing certain issues, but has some motivated reasoning behind it, or takes subtle swipes at individuals, or are offensive, critical, mundane and the rest, they are bounden speeches. An agitated mind is hardly a transcendental mind, and to plead with arguments on the basis of free speech, is to risk deriding other devotees, and lower the standard of dignified communication.

While hearing or reading questionable critiques, we should know if they are liberating, inspiring, and able to grant us freedom, or the opposite of these. If we are unable to distinguish, then our consciousness is quite bound. The great freedom manual, the Bhagavad-Gita even has austerity of speech as a requirement to surrender freely. This shows how vaisnava communication is highly evolved as it were, and restraints are obligatory to ensure boundless happiness.

What we say to our friends may not be said to the guru, and neither to the juniors, who should be given affectionate words. We can inquire without unnecessarily challenging, and we can follow certain protocols without publicising an issue. However, the irresistible urge to know about what is going on inside something we have given our life for, will always find a way out, even past attempted censorship. Again, we should think, “Do these things raise my consciousness?”

Being in Krishna consciousness should be a perpetual conscious raising engagement. In this regard, there is really such a thing as free speech. Though we may be bound ourselves, if we perfectly repeat what guru, sadhu and sastra says, we are engaging in free speech. Real free speech is that which frees us from fear and misery, and is the best medicine for us. This taste for continual Krishna katha is derived by loving and caring for our fellow devotees, and serving them.

“O twice born sages, by serving those devotees who are completely freed from vice, great service is done. By such service, one gains affinity for hearing the messages of Vasudeva.” (SB 1.2.16).

It follows then, that if ever we feel flustered, down, irritated or whatever, that we create an excuse to serve a devotee, or group of devotees, and feel the difference. There is something special in serving a vaisnava, because it can change the heart. A clean heart wants to speak and hear of Krishna related freedom matters, and shun bound agitations. To serve is to hear, and to hear is to serve. It has the power to make us speak and hear genuine free speech.

“Whenever pure topics of the transcendental world are discussed, the members of the audience forget all kinds of material hankerings, at least for the time being. Not only that, but they are no longer envious of one another, nor do they suffer from anxiety or fear.” (SB 4.30.35).

While this may sound like a temporary relief from misery, we can make it continual if we take to heart the instructions of those who are really “born free”, the pure ever free, unbound acaryas.

Ys, Kesava Krsna dasa - GRS.

Here is a perfect example of constrained (conditional) freedom.

Yes there should be honesty and straightforwardness - but without personal attack. The normal mudane rules of serious debate preclude personal attack in any case by identifying the fallacy of pseudo-reasoning called 'ad hominem' which goes

'so and so has a biased or bad character

therefore what

so and so says is false'.

I heard the News on the radio today.

A petro station costumer said, "Yes, the petro is $4 per gallon and I expect it to be $5 per gallon by summer time" --This sounded to me that people have accepted the status quo of being cheated.

Society's status of being "The Cheaters and the Cheated" has evolved to: "Cheater-ism".

In "Cheater-ism" everyone is a cheater and we are all racing each other to avoid being the last man cheated.

Prahlad's teachers must have said something to the effect, "Cheat them while you can" or "Cheat them first before they cheat you" or "Buy that rental property and raise the rent before they raise your morgage rate".

Here is a perfect example of constrained (conditional) freedom.

Yes there should be honesty and straightforwardness - but without personal attack. The normal mudane rules of serious debate preclude personal attack in any case by identifying the fallacy of pseudo-reasoning called 'ad hominem' which goes

'so and so has a biased or bad character

therefore what

so and so says is false'.

a reading once shared the idea; 'if your brother is drunk, do you let him drive?'

this one is quite a question, in that 'no' I wish no others to be harmed from his action, but then again, 'who am I to judge?'.....

this is an age old one as it seems that unless each are equiped with the same "love" then an opinion to an action can be diversified.

Or more purely 'if the knowledge of truth is different, then peace could never exist universally'

The nobler sort of man emphasizes the good qualities in others, and

does not accentuate the bad. The inferior does the reverse.

-- Confucius (551-479 BC) Chinese Philosopher:deal:

Very true but be very careful -

"How fortunate for leaders that men do not think."

- Adolf Hitler

Yes, but this is for leaders who will assign work and duties to others while maintaining good morale among the work force. Also, this is used in diplomacy. And hostage negotiations, I sure.

I don't think this is for judging guilt, innocence or in accessing a canidate(s) qualifications.

.................................................................................

WORKER WANTED: Worker who is a very nice person--anyone with no experience or interest or punctuality or moral compus may apply whenever you get around to it. Escaped convicts perferred.

Call +1-800-555-1234. (Now offering 'No show jobs' while available)

It's not about the personal statement, at least not in a forum like this where everybody is just a piece of text and/or a profile. In one on one interaction, I hear if one is a Vaisnava, he should be respectful, but a thief is a thief, a spade is a spade. This not diplomacy, which is a form of lying.

I believe it was Vidur Maharaj who said that we should speak the truth but speak the sweet truth.

Just because we can and should speak the truth, that doesn't mean we should deliberately try to hurt or offend others. Speech is precious, "Vani" is said to be Mother Saraswati herself. We should therefore not offend her by using her indelicately.

Jai

Sri Manah Siksa (intsructions to the mind)

by Srila Raghunatha Dasa Goswami

Verse Six

Translation

My dear mind, you have embraced the path of self realization, yet you foolishly think that you are cleansing yourself by bathing in the pretentiously fierce qualities of deceit and fault-finding, which are compared to impure donkey urine. Factually, you are incinerating yourself and dragging an infinitesimal spirit soul like me into the conflagration. Stop this suicidal course! Dive into the immortal ocean of sublime ambrosia that awaits you in loving devotional service at the lotus feet of Shri-Shri Radha and Krishna. Resuscitate my very being and thus give both of us endless happiness.

Alternate Translation

O Mind, why do you burn us both by bathing in the urine trickling from the ass of great deviousness and hypocrisy? Instead, you should delight us by eternally bathing in the glistening nectar-ocean of pure love for Shri Shri Gandharva-Giridhari (Shri Shri Radha-Krishna).

Shri Bhajana-darpana (Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura)

This verse gives advice to those who have been able to subdue lust and anger, but have failed to vanquish the great enemy of deceit. The sadhaka, or spiritual practitioner, is of three kinds:

svanistha, devoted to self-realization; parinisthita, dedicated to rules and regulations; and nirapeksa, detached. The svanistha sadhaka completely rejects all the principles of varnasrama dharma and endeavors solely to satisfy the Supreme Lord Hari. The parinisthita-sadhaka organizes his life and activities to conform to the rules of devotional service and Deity worship. These two sadhakas are usually householders. The third type of aspiring devotee, the nirapeksa-sadhaka, or the detached devotee, is a renunciate and celibate. All three would do well to renounce deceitfulness, because deceit and pretense devastate spiritual understanding.

How devotees become deceitful

The svanistha-sadhaka becomes deceitful when he indulges in sense gratification in the name of satisfying the Supreme Lord. Instead of serving the pure-hearted devotees of the Lord, he serves rich and influential materialists and busies himself in accumulation of wealth beyond his needs. With the excuse of educating himself he develops attachment to speculation and logic. Putting on the robes of a renunciate, he strives for worldly acclaim and honor.

The parinisthita-sadhaka becomes deceitful when he makes an external show of strict adherence and dedication to spiritual life but inwardly is attracted to material subjects completely unrelated to Krishna, and prefers the association of the worldly-minded to saintly souls.

When the renunciate, or nirapeksa-sadhaka, becomes deceitful he considers himself to be a very elevated devotee, and exploits the renunciate's dress and status, looking down upon other devotees as if they were inferior. He collects objects and wealth far in excess of the basic requirements for a life of renunciation, and associates with women in the name of spiritual practice or preaching. He leaves the shelter of the temple to collect funds and donations only to remain in close contact with materialists. He is always in anxiety about collecting funds, yet covers his deceit with a show of devotion. He is overly attached to the dress, position, and the rules and regulations of the renounced order, and thus neglects the main purpose of spiritual life, which is to develop attachment for Krishna.

These traits like deceit, fault-finding, speculation, argumentation, etc., are very detrimental to true spiritual realization and have therefore been compared in this verse to the ass. Fools may think that they can bathe in ass urine and become cleansed, but factually it only pollutes their spiritual lives.

The nectar of the lotus feet of the Divine Couple

Shrimati Radharani is the internal energy of the Supreme Lord Shri Krishna, and Shri Krishna is the Supreme Energetic. One must submerge himself in the ocean of nectar flowing from the lotus feet of the Divine Couple. To help one invoke Their sublime mercy, Shrila Rupa Gosvami prays [stava-mala]:

“O Queen of Vrndavana, 0 Radharani, Your complexion is like molten gold, Your doe-like eyes are captivatingly restless, a million full and brilliant moons wane before Your lustrous countenance, and a blue sky, having stolen the hue of a fresh rain-laden cloud, has enwrapped Your exquisite form. 0 Radha, You are the crest-jewel of all the dallying damsels of Vrndavana, fragrant and pristine like a budding jasmine flower. Your sublime form is adorned with priceless jewelry, and you are the best of all the charming and intelligent gopis. You are decorated with all wonderful excellences and surrounded by eight dedicated and beloved cowherd girls known as the asta-sakhis.

"The ambrosia of Your beautiful lips, red as the bimba fruit, is life-giving syrup to Krishna. 0 Radha, I am rolling on the banks of the Yamuna, my poor heart filled with anticipation, praying to You with all humility. I am guilty of being an offender, a rascal, a useless wretch, yet I beg You to kindly engage me in even the smallest service to Your lotus feet. 0 most merciful Lady, it will not become You to ignore this most distressed soul, for Your heart is always overflowing with compassion and love."

Elsewhere in Stava-mala, Shri Rupa Gosvami writes:

"I will now sing the glories of the holy names of the Divine Couple Shri-Shri Radha and Krishna in eight verses. The first describes the glories of the holy names of Shri-Shri Radha and Krishna. Radharani is the daughter of Shri Vrsabhanu, and Krishna is the son of the King of Vraja. Of all the gopis, She is the most beloved of Govinda, and He is Shrimati Radhika's paramour. She is the heroine of all the forest bowers, and He is the all-attractive hero. She is the brightest gem amongst the young village belles of Vraja, and He is the best of all the young cowherd boys. She is the princess of Vrndavana, and He is the dashing prince-regent. She is always enjoyed by Krishna, and He is the heart-throb of Shrimati Radharani."

Humility: the cure for deceit

'In this way, 0 mind, your heart must become saturated with the divine nectar of the holy names of Shri-Shri Radha and Krishna, and remembering Their eternal pastimes you must wander about in Vrndavana.' As soon as the mind allows any nonessential thoughts to enter, deceit immediately attacks the soul again. The heart that has been thus purified by humility can never again open its doors to deceit.

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; BORDER-TOP: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex; BORDER-LEFT: #666666 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #666666 1px solid" bgColor=#e0e0e0>"How fortunate for leaders that men do not think."

- Adolf Hitler </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Free Speech BY: SURESH DASA

May 21, LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA (SUN) — Commenting on the article at Dandavats.com,

"
" by Kesava Krsna Dasa (the comment was suppressed by Dandavats.com censors on May 19, 2008).

Kesava Krsna Dasa’s recent article at Dandavats.com, entitled “Free Speech in Krsna Consciousness” is a well presented article.

There are many interesting, and well thought out points.

What is the relevance of the picture enclosed with Kesava Krsna dasa’s article, “Loose lips may sink ships”? How is speaking the truth going to sink any ship, and which ships are they referring to? I realize this sounds really stupid on my part, but I don’t get it?

In the back of my head I wonder if there is a new agenda afoot, which has been discussed and agreed upon, behind closed doors, by various higher ISKCON authorities, that the general society of devotees at large might not be party to, or even permitted to participate in.

There appears to be a closing of doors now, which were only slightly opened at Dandavats.com for a while, going back to our society’s past, where complete curtailment of freedom of speech and freedom of the press was the norm within the worldwide society of devotees.

I see a pattern emerging at Dandavats.com where debate on various issues, which was once quite lively and open, now seems much more sedate.

It is the norm for many dissenting views to be suppressed at Dandavats, but now more than ever the censorship appears to have worsened.

One wonders if the purpose or agenda is to create an impression that ISKCON is a society of only the most loyal and ardent supporters, who never see or experience any evil or wrongdoing, especially by the society’s most elite authorities.

I appreciate that ISKCON has become a worldwide, highly popular movement, especially amongst the Indian community as well as in many regions where Krishna Consciousness was never known before.

How disheartening it must be for newcomers to hear any negative or dissenting news or opposing viewpoints. Perhaps for many within ISKCON’s elite, there is a desire to have a completely white-washed society of loyal and quiet followers, who as the author has stated before, lay down their lives for ISKCON, give all their hard earned money as well as support and effort of every kind, but who in return expect and ask for nothing.

Good luck finding such people. It is human nature that if something isn’t working quite right, eventually a person may begin to question why the relationship they may experience within Krishna Consciousness sometimes appears to be only one-sided.

One in which the individual is expected, if not required, to do all the giving, but in return is expected not to gain any receiving, except the hope that in their next life there will be boons and benefits, again as the author has previously stated. What is more compelling is it is our actual philosophy to never expect anything at any time, in return for our service.

Using this philosophy, Vaishnava religion can either be the greatest blessing for mankind or, if only a materialistic movement made up of only non-liberated and bound participants, the greatest betrayal of the spirit, offering only empty and hollow promises in return for what amounts to slavery and exploitation.

The real purpose of Keshava Krsna dasa’s
article is to support the new idea that websites like the Sampradaya Sun have no right to exist.

No one should dare speak in conflict with or question ISKCON authorities, especially the GBC, or any person who should herefore be referred to as His Highness, His Grace, or Her Grace. Anyone who does so runs the risk of excommunication, or worse is condemned to hell (their own words).

I truly appreciate the Sampradaya Sun, where a person can speak his mind and tell the truth of his experiences. Sampradaya Sun is a place where past hurts and grievances are not just swept under the rug and forgotten. May the flag of Sampradaya Sun always wave.

One wonders if the purpose or agenda is to create an impression that ISKCON is a society of only the most loyal and ardent supporters, who never see or experience any evil or wrongdoing, especially by the society’s most elite authorities.

After 1977 one should just assume the above until the opposite is proven by those leaders. They have long since burned up their benefit of the doubt.

But don't assume the above and then ruminate on what they may be up to, remember Krishna instead.

namaste.bmpTo not offer respect where it is rightly due ***(Maha Bhagavata Vaisnava or nitya-siddha) and to render it where it is not merited***(nitya-baddha jiva or a conditioned soul) are both equally grave offenses.

- Mahabharata of Vyasa Ch-11

It is an ill bird who fouls his own nest. nest.bmp

- Mahabharata of Vyasa Ch-14

swords03.jpgThe wounds inflicted by weapons may close in time; burns may heal gradually; but wounds inflicted by words remain painful as long as one lives.

Mahabharata Chapter V

by Jauvana das

After spending valuable time reading the NY Times along with many other online publications (including the Sampradaya Sun), I've come to a conclusion. There is no end to politics.

Politics is about finding fault. Finding someone to blame for our misery. Projecting a demon outside the self. Making a hero out of the false ego, a king out of a beggar.

I read an article about feminism infiltrating Iskcon. Another condemning most of the human population of the world as meat-eating Abrahamic donkeys (referring to every living Jew, Christian and Muslim). These articles were written by thoughtful devotees. It shocked me at first, until i realized that devotees are no different than any other conditioned soul, until they develop real humility and tolerance as taught by Mahaprabhu (trnad api sunicena).

Jnana is not that much different than ignorance until the heart becomes purified and is lit up from realization. Enlightened. Just as power or any opulence can be used for good or bad, so too can knowledge. Ravana was a brahmin.

So the world goes on perpetuating lies about itself. Lies that I am number one. Or as Prabhupada said, quoting the demoniac mind: I am God. That's the essence of politics. I cloak myself in any manner of holy garb: as an ayatollah, guru, monk, priest or president. But whatever my dress, politics means that I have the answer and that the problem is somehow out there, threatening, foreign, to be attacked. That's the false ego projecting the shadow of its own darkness. A perfect example of illusion that is impossible to overcome without surrendering to the Perfect Intelligence.

Originally Posted by Realist [BY: SURESH DASA ] ...One wonders if the purpose or agenda is to create an impression that ISKCON is a society of only the most loyal and ardent supporters, who never see or experience any evil or wrongdoing, especially by the society’s most elite authorities. ...

To the Uppity Vaisnava mal-content Class of 2008:

Does every other related Gaudiya-Vaishnav Asram/Muth allow new comers to stay indefinately within their asrama's to be trained in Brahminical ettiqutte?

In Iskcon the modus operandi is to introduce KRISHNA. Who is Krishna etc.

That is the mission of Iskcon. We have all been weeded out and that's as good as it gets. Fin.

Where else can you commit yourself to an institution that exists simular to Iskcon's open door policy?

What every complainer is harkening to is that there never was entrance requirements ie: reference and exams and tuition to keep out people with less than first-class back grounds, credentials, paraentage, wealth and, culture before entering the confines of Iskcon doors.

The hindu temples else where are isolationist, exclusive or outright business ventures.

You are all complaining about how you cannot do as you'd like because someone that [for good reasons] you have no regards for is poo-poo-ing your initiative.

If you want to be an Olympian Competitor than the hard work is to be overseen and coached by you and yourself determination alone.

If you can make the grade you will be welcomed as a valevictorian by gurus by the dozen to give a commencement speech in your honor.

swords03.jpgThe wounds inflicted by weapons may close in time; burns may heal gradually; but wounds inflicted by words remain painful as long as one lives.

Mahabharata Chapter V

Thats a double side comment prabhu, what about so many devotees who have been hurt by the patronizing words of ISKCON leaders over the years, I remember one Sannyasi telling a devotee to go a stick his head in the stool house and pull the chain and everything he touches turns to stool. Yes, everyone one laughed and revealed how immature and stupied they also were, but such bulling tactics were NOT funny to him, his self esteem and self worth were nil

What in the hell do we think how he must feel because of these immature so called leaders?!!

They have never ever tried to contact him over the years and those hash words are festering away in him still today like he was with them yesterday

The Three of Swords depicts a wisdom sorrow. Not conditioned sorrow. Knowing the nature of sorrow for what it truly is, the sage transcends it. The wisdom of the enlightened soul. The soul who has tasted this sorrow knows its cause, and why it is manifest in the world. Such a soul understands the folly and misery of thoughlessness, and by example remains as ghee on water, so others may attain emancipation by seeing the wisdom of his thoughts and deeds. Unaffected, the sage holds this sorrow as true wisdom.

(bija's interpretation of Book of Thoth - three of swords - by Aleister Crowley:eek3:)

52.JPG

Krsna prabhu I do read Thoth Tarot Deck - obviously I am not a suddha bhakta (like many others here). Simply depending on a tiny drop of sincerity for Sri Hari's help!

(I give free readings too:idea:)

You may wonder why I type in color - I am a synesthete (who has come out of the closet) and find color soothing. I have emotion synesthesia and color keeps me calm in the Audarya madhouse!

The mind is all illusion - you should see what I see! Patterns, shapes, forms, waves, smells, tactiles....even your words in this forum I feel. Sensitivities can develop in the human mind - if we are more aware of our inbuilt sensitivities we would not tear others down by our free speech so frequently. Even in the name of righteousness.

I also feel the religious bent person can be extremely callous! And very insensitive!

Here is an example of that religious bent and its followers (as posted in the previous page):

....what about so many devotees who have been hurt by the patronizing words of ISKCON leaders over the years, I remember one Sannyasi telling a devotee to go a stick his head in the stool house and pull the chain and everything he touches turns to stool. Yes, everyone one laughed and revealed how immature and stupied they also were, but such bulling tactics were NOT funny to him, his self esteem and self worth were nil

In the coming Golden Age we all will feel on deeper levels, and our hearts will be revealed before the eyes of men! (bija)

http://www.synesthesia.com.au/

At Least Be a Gentleman

BY: RADHAVALLABHA DASA

May 23, USA (NPR) — Dear respected devotees, recently I have been following some of the articles on Dandavats, Audarya Fellowship aswell as on the Sampradaya Sun in regards to free speech. The fact that I am not the first one to share my thoughts about it shows that quite a number of devotees think it important to be independently thoughtful.

Personally, I find it sad to see that certain (but definitely not all) ISKCON leaders do not consider the devotees in general mature enough to handle some of the less desirable things that are happening in the society of devotees. (By the way, I have witnessed this in other Gaudiya Matha organisations as well, not just ISKCON.)

Instead of covering things up, it may be more beneficial in the longer run to address issues or persons, having in mind "hate the sin, not the sinner". And even if - for arguments sake - we do hate a particular sinner, it does not mean the whole devotee community is to be rejected.

For example, why not say: "We as devotees do not approve of child molesters. They should be duly punished for their deeds, they do terrible harm to the children as well as polluting the good name of our society". Instead of covering up and in that way making the whole ISKCON to blame for the crime (and having innocent devotees collecting money for paying other people's court cases - my personal experience).

Being assertive is a grown-up way of expressing oneself, making a point clear while respecting the other as well as oneself. To me it seems that there is something lacking if devotee leaders cannot honestly admit mistakes or shortcomings.

Certainly they do so many wonderful services to the devotees depending on them, but if there happen to be any frailties, they can be addressed without the leader loosing his/her dignity.

Instead, the leader in question may gain even more respect while humbly admitting that there is room for improvement on the managerial level or that there are things to be rectified or cleared up.

Who would not respect a leader that supports truthfulness, the last leg of dharma? At least I would.

Covering up, concealing and lying will on the short or long run make devotees loose their faith in leaders who engage in these activities. So be clear in your dealings and be open to your dependents.

If you are not transcendental, at least be a gentleman (or gentle lady). Your servant, Radhavallabha dasa

If you are not transcendental, at least be a gentleman (or gentle lady).

This admonition is sure to fall on deaf ears, although I suspect the author knows that. If the problem were simply maturity or courtesy, yes an exhortation to more gentlemanly behavior would be enough. But alas the problem is far deeper and more complex - namely hypocrisy and corruption.

kind of like asking the CEO of Enron to deliver a polite apology. (yah right) (ignore Beggar)

This admonition is sure to fall on deaf ears, although I suspect the author knows that. If the problem were simply maturity or courtesy, yes an exhortation to more gentlemanly behavior would be enough. But alas the problem is far deeper and more complex - namely hypocrisy and corruption.

kind of like asking the CEO of Enron to deliver a polite apology. (yah right)

Now I understand, every devotee is a corrupt hypocrite except for cbrahma!

While that may be true of me, it can hardly be true of everyone.