IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
rohini108

Defeating the Lord

Rate this topic

"The unmotivated devotional service of your loving servitors always defeats You. Then having conquered You, such devotional service enters within You and secretly hides as the greatest of treasures." Sridhara (sold his banana wares to Lord Chaitanya) speaking to Lord Chaitanya. Sri Chaitanya-bhagavata, Madhya-khand Ch 9

Does anyone have a nice explanation for this quote, especially how to best understand unmotivated devotional service? Is there any example you can give? Please explain this to me so that I can better understand what is meant by unmotivated devotional service? Thank you.

Jadurani dasi:

As was usual for Sunday mornings, the altar room was crowded. Although on weekdays one or two devotees did the cooking for everyone in the tiny but well-equipped kitchen in Prabhupada’s apartment, on Sundays, almost all the devotees became cooks in order to prepare prasadam for seventy to one hundred guests. Now Brahmananda, Satsvarupa, Kirtanananda, Hayagriva, Gargamuni, Acyutananda, Rupanuga and others were there—cutting vegetables, rolling samosas, mixing salads and making sweetballs.

I was also there, sprawled across the parquet floor as I painted the mantra on the oak tag sign. I couldn’t figure out how to reach the top section of this huge sign without lying over the holy names. Although I tried just stretching my arms, they would not reach. The only way seemed to be if I stretched practically my whole body over the words. I felt slightly uncomfortable, as though I was doing something wrong.

I remembered my recent reading from the Srimad Bhagavatam: “The name Krsna and the Personality of Godhead Krsna are identical. There is no difference in the absolute realm between the name, form or person of the Absolute Truth because in the absolute realm everything is transcendental bliss. His name, fame, form and pastimes are all one and the same transcendental identity, and they are not knowable by the exercise of the material senses.”

I felt uncomfortable, but I had no solution and so I continued.

Absorbed in my work, I didn’t notice when Prabhupada came in to inspect the progress of our various services. Seeing his feet, I stopped my painting and looked up at him. From my position on the ground he looked like an ancient, and yet soft, Indian sculpture. “O Swamiji, I didn’t see you,” I said. “Am I being offensive to the sign by doing this?”

Prabhupada smiled. “Once,” he said, “Krsna had a headache. He asked His servant, Narada Muni, to get dust from the feet of any of His devotees. He said that only such dust could cure Him.

“Narada went everywhere, but no one cooperated. They all asked, ‘How can we put the dust of our feet on Krsna’s head? We will go to hell for such an offense!’

“Finally he went to Vrndavana where the gopis live. Since they are Krsna’s most surrendered devotees, they all agreed to help.” Prabhupada dramatized the scene using his own hands, feet and facial expressions to show the gopis taking dust from their feet and offering it to Narada.

“Narada asked, ‘Do you not fear going to hell for such an offense?’

“So they replied, ‘Never mind. We shall go to hell, but let Krsna be cured.’

“This is the kind of selfless devotion that Lord Caitanya has come to teach. This is love. For loving service, you can take all risks.”

I smiled, and now with authorization, continued to lean over the mantra.

"The unmotivated devotional service of your loving servitors always defeats You. Then having conquered You, such devotional service enters within You and secretly hides as the greatest of treasures." Sridhara (sold his banana wares to Lord Chaitanya) speaking to Lord Chaitanya. Sri Chaitanya-bhagavata, Madhya-khand Ch 9

Does anyone have a nice explanation for this quote, especially how to best understand unmotivated devotional service? Is there any example you can give? Please explain this to me so that I can better understand what is meant by unmotivated devotional service? Thank you.

Words!

Words defining selfless understanding.

Man created words (do define experiences), each word is unmotivated (once created) unless understood, then once understood, the 'conscious' comprehends the treasures of love.