IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Avinash

Bhagavatam test

Rate this topic

Indulekhadasi ji once posted a test on Mahabharata. I got the idea from that post of hers.:)

I am posting a test on Srimad Bhagavat Mahapuran. Please note that you must answer the following questions only from Bhagavatam.

It is an open book exam.;) So, you are free to refer to any material you like.

1. When will Kalki avatar take place? Choose the most precise option: -

a. In Kali yuga 2. In Satya yuga 3. In the conjunction of Kali and Satya 4. Some other (specify)

2. Who was the Manu before Vaivasta Manu?

3. Nara and Narayana were born as the sons of whom?

4. What are the four principles of religion?

5. Who was Parikshit's wife? How many sons did they have?

6. How old was Lord Krishna when He overturned a cart in His childhood? Please do not answer

that Lord is eternal, so He had infinite age. Of course, He is eternal, but I am asking His age as per his Krishna (son of Devki) incarnation.

7. What mantra did Narada give to Dhruva?

8. Dhruva got from Lord what he wanted. Still, he was not satisfied. Why?

9. Why did Daksha curse Narada and what was the curse?

10. What boon did Markandeya ask from Lord Shiva?

11. Who was Bharata's father? (Here Bharata is the one after whom the name Bharatavarsha came.)

12. While talking to Uddhava, what did Lord Krishna call as the best method by which a devotee can control Krishna?

13. After Krishna incarnation was over, who became the ruler of the yadus?

14. Who said to Krishna that Bhima should meet Jarasandha disguised as a brahmin and ask him for duel as charity?

15. In the Rajsuya sacrifice performed by Yudhisthir, who suggested that Krishna should be worshipped first?

16. Sudama met Krishna. When he was going back to his (Sudama's) residence, then at that time Sudama was not aware of the riches that Krishna had bestowed upon him. Sudama was under the impression that Krishna had not given him any wealth. Did Sudama feel anger towards Krishna for this? What did he feel?

17. How did King Nriga become a chamelion?

18. What are the names of the two Ashwini Kumars? Hint: - The names are given when Sukadev explains to Parikshit that Nakul and Sahdev were born by Madri when she invoked Ashwini Kumars.

19. Ila was Manu's daughter. Sudyumna was Manu's son. What is the relation between Sudyumna and Ila? Note: - The answer is not as easy as saying that they were siblings. ;)

20. Who were the sons of Laxmana (Lord Rama's brother)?

Edited: - Instead of Indulekhadasi, I had written Indulekha dadi, thus making her very old. :eek: Corrected the mistake now.

Some hard questions there. Some I answers I am pretty sure of, some guesses and some I don't know at all.

1. During the yuga-sandhya between kali and satya

2. A guess--chakshush

3. Dharma, from the Mahabharata

4. Dana, Shaucha and two others. These I am guessing are the four legs of the bull encountered by Parikshit.

5. ----

6. One year old?

7. Om namo vasudevaya shuddha-jnana-virupine

8. Because he wanted to be greater than an earthly king. He was a kshatriya by disposition and so sought greater power. A bit of a guess.

9. Narada persuaded Daksha's sons to renounce the world and not produce offspring. He was cursed to have no permanent home.

10. Was he blessed so as to survive the pralaya at the end of the creation?

11. ----

12. Bhakti?

13. Vajranabha

14. Arjuna?

15. Bhishma

16. No he was not angry, he felt blessed to have been allowed to see Krishna and to be welcomed by him with such humility.

17. Nriga gave away the same cow to two Brahmins and so was cursed to be a lizard.

18. ---

19. ---

20. ---

That's the best I can come up with without looking at books, but that would be cheating. Good quiz. Thank you very much.

8. His situation was the same as the Beggar who came in front of a king to ask a handful of rice.

Whatever he asked from Vishnu was insignificant when compared to what Vishnu could give as the Best gift (Devotional Service).

Amlesh, you are right about that. I just checked in the Bhagavata. It is interesting that the Vishnu Purana does not mention this dissatisfaction in its telling of the story. I suspect the Bhagavata is more anxious to emphasise the pure bhakti element in its narration.

Amlesh, you are right about that. I just checked in the Bhagavata. It is interesting that the Vishnu Purana does not mention this dissatisfaction in its telling of the story. I suspect the Bhagavata is more anxious to emphasise the pure bhakti element in its narration.

Yes, you are right Kimfelix. The great sage Veda Vyas was not satisfied even after writing all the Srutis and Smritis. Only after being instructed by the Great Narada, that he wrote his last master piece, the Srimad Bhagvatam and hence felt his life to be successful.

Some hard questions there. Some I answers I am pretty sure of, some guesses and some I don't know at all.

1. During the yuga-sandhya between kali and satya

2. A guess--chakshush

3. Dharma, from the Mahabharata

4. Dana, Shaucha and two others. These I am guessing are the four legs of the bull encountered by Parikshit.

5. ----

6. One year old?

7. Om namo vasudevaya shuddha-jnana-virupine

8. Because he wanted to be greater than an earthly king. He was a kshatriya by disposition and so sought greater power. A bit of a guess.

9. Narada persuaded Daksha's sons to renounce the world and not produce offspring. He was cursed to have no permanent home.

10. Was he blessed so as to survive the pralaya at the end of the creation?

11. ----

12. Bhakti?

13. Vajranabha

14. Arjuna?

15. Bhishma

16. No he was not angry, he felt blessed to have been allowed to see Krishna and to be welcomed by him with such humility.

17. Nriga gave away the same cow to two Brahmins and so was cursed to be a lizard.

18. ---

19. ---

20. ---

That's the best I can come up with without looking at books, but that would be cheating. Good quiz. Thank you very much.

Not bad at all. Very unlikely that anyone else can answer these many questions from memory.

Cheers

Pranam

Indulekhadasi ji once posted a test on Mahabharata. I got the idea from that post of hers.:)

Edited: - Instead of Indulekhadasi, I had written Indulekha dadi, thus making her very old. :eek: Corrected the mistake now.

Good questions, although I don’t think if Indulekhadidi be too happy to be called dadi, on other hand she does display great maturity for her age, so dadi could be taken as a compliment. i see you have wisely changed dadi to dasi.

Some of the answers that has not been ansered yet

4. Dharma arth kaam and moksh based on satya, pavitrata, tapa and ahimsa

6. Six months I think

8. Because having seen the lord he did not want the rajya

10. That he become chiranjivi.

Jai Shree Krishna

11. Who was Bharata's father? (Here Bharata is the one after whom the name Bharatavarsha came.)

Menaka and vishwamitra's daughter was shakuntala...

shakuntala and king dushyant had a child bharat who later became emperor ...after whom bharatvarsha got its name

(there is a story of a curse of rishi durvasa due to which dushyant forgot shakuntala and ....... )

Pranam

shakuntala and king dushyant had a child bharat who later became emperor ...after whom bharatvarsha got its name

(there is a story of a curse of rishi durvasa due to which dushyant forgot shakuntala and ....... )

Very nice, i was thinking in line with Jada-Bharat who of course is the same person, can you think of his parents name?

Jai Shree Krishna

Are you sure that you have read it in Bhagavatam? Also, are you sure it is written in Bhagavatam that the name Bharatvarsha came after the son of Dushyant and Shakuntala?

Pranam

Very nice, i was thinking in line with Jada-Bharat who of course is the same person, can you think of his parents name?

Jai Shree Krishna

Are you sure that Jada-Bharat is the same person? ;) Please refer to Bhagavatam.

Regarding question no. 11: -

Only Indulekha ji is right.:) You all others are wrong. :smash:

And Kimfelix, you did very well.:) Of course there is some mistake in your answers, which I will mention later. But, overall you did very well.

Yes, there are two Bharata's but I had always presumed that Bharatvarsh was named after the son of Shakuntala and Dushanta (Mahabharata 1.69.50). When Arjuna is addressed as Bhaarata or Bharata-sattama, it is this Bharata who is being referred to and not the King Bharata of the Bhagavata who was reborn as a deer. I don't think this Bharata, son of Rishabhdev is mentioned in the Mahabharata.

Are you sure that Jada-Bharat is the same person? ;) Please refer to Bhagavatam.

Pranam

don’t forget this answers were off the cuff and I had presumed Jada Bharat, formaly Bharat Maharaj the son of Ṛṣabhadeva. Is obvious to me now that is not the same as Bharat of shakuntala and king dushyant. Thank you for correcting me.

Jai Shree Krishna

Yes, according to Bhagavatam, the name Bharatvarsha is because of the eldest son of Rishabhdev. There was another Bharat, the son of Dushyant and Shakuntala. The second Bharat seems to be more famous.

Please note that the answers should be from Bhagavatam.