IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

veda = wisdom

Rate this topic

Just came across an interesting factiod. According to the Oxford English Dictionary the root word for the english word wisdom is the sanskrit word veda. I figure many of you know this already but it was news to me.

And it defines exactly how I have come to see veda and why veda is more than a group of books from a particular land and from a paritcular time in history.

Discuss?

My theory

Vedas (comunicating absolute knowlege and wisdom) in Sanskrit have come down from the heavenly planets through the pathway of the Satya, Tretta and Dvapara yugas. The Kali-yuga is the ‘crossroads’ where what has come down via the heavenly planets, meets with what has come up (evolved) from this planet, where the remnants of Vedic culture becomes mixed with the primitive tribes of humans, who had evolved up through the species of life.

Not surprisingly, the Sanskrit Vedas influenced the barbaric tribes who looted the now weakened Vedic culture at the beginning of Kaki-yuga

In this way the word "Veda" is from the root vid, "to know," making for other derivates like vidya, "knowledge," and avidya, "ignorance."

The vid root is cognate to idea in Greek, video in Latin, and wit in English. The word "Veda" means wit, wisdom.

The word video is derived from the word Veda

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=j>"Veni, vidi, vici."

means

"I came (to KRSNA),

I saw (KRSNA by divine revelation and transcendental realization by the mercy of the VEDA),

I conquered.(KRSNA by pure loving devotional service mood or suddha bhakti like the gopis in Vrindavan; KRSNA can only become conquered by love or prema)"

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Veda does not come in a particular time in History. It is a Sruti and therefore eternal. Unlike Smriti which is an explanation of Sruti do comes in a particular time in History.

It is worthy to note that the Upanishads also is Sruti and therefore ever existing.

But the most amazing thing is both Smriti and Sruti tell the same eternal fact even though one comes in a point in time and the other is ever existing.

Even more astonishing than that is the Nature of Gita, I suppose I'll let you all decide, how it is???????:confused:

I am thinking of the universiality of veda. Veda is omnipresent because Krishna is omnipresent. Omnipresent includes all phases of time as well as space.

Because the jiva is part and parcle of Krishna, Veda or eternal wisdom must also be part of the make up of jiva, Cit potency. We, in our perfect state as pure spirit soul, are Veda personified. Veda lies within us as our true being.

In this way I accept Veda as being non-sectarian and transcendental to all religion.

Thus Veda can and will manifest anytime and anywhere in human society, in varying degrees by Krishna's grace for the upliftment of the people who are the intended audience.

Yes, it is so. The various kinds of Human (depending on their respective level of consciousness) can satisfy all their desires through the Vedas without hurting their ego.

However, very few can understand the conclusion of the Vedas. You are wise enough Theist, to understand what I mean.:deal:

However, very few can understand the conclusion of the Vedas. You are wise enough Theist, to understand what I mean.:deal:

Well then, I guess we should be considering ourselves fortunate to associate with a rare soul such as yourself who has correctly understood the conclusion of the vedas.

Salutes

The word Veda as used in the context of Hinduism or even just the Gita is used to mean the Rik, Sama and Yajur only. Even the inclusion of Atharvana in this list is questionable. So in general, though the term means knowledge, contextually it means specific knowledge - about Brahman or Vishnu. Knowledge that cannot be obtained through any other means. Growing potatoes, chip design, extracting coke from opium, brain surgery, etc., also fall under the category of knowledge, but not under the category of Veda.

Of course, if Amlesh has a different view, I stand corrected and I hope he will forgive me for my ignorance.

Cheers

This is a point we need to understand.

There are three planetary systems, namely the lower worlds, the intermediate worlds and the upper worlds. The human beings on earth are situated at the beginning of the intermediate worlds, but living beings like Brahmä and his contemporaries live in the upper worlds, of which the topmost is Satyaloka. In Satyaloka the inhabitants are fully cognizant of Vedic wisdom, and thus the mystic cloud of material energy is cleared. Therefore they are known as the Vedas personified. Such persons, being fully aware of knowledge both mundane and transcendental, have no interest in either the mundane or transcendental worlds. They are practically desireless devotees. In the mundane world they have nothing to achieve, and in the transcendental world they are full in themselves. Then why do they come to the mundane world? They descend on different planets as messiahs by the order of the Lord to deliver the fallen souls. On the earth they come down and do good to the people of the world in different circumstances under different climatic influences. They have nothing to do in this world save and except reclaim the fallen souls rotting in material existence, deluded by material energy. SB 1.19.23 purport

Well then, I guess we should be considering ourselves fortunate to associate with a rare soul such as yourself who has correctly understood the conclusion of the vedas.

Salutes

Understanding that only rare souls understand is understanding.

This is a point we need to understand.

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote --> Quote:

<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(102, 102, 102); padding-left: 3ex; padding-right: 3ex;" bgcolor="#e0e0e0"> There are three planetary systems, namely the lower worlds, the intermediate worlds and the upper worlds. The human beings on earth are situated at the beginning of the intermediate worlds, but living beings like Brahmä and his contemporaries live in the upper worlds, of which the topmost is Satyaloka. In Satyaloka the inhabitants are fully cognizant of Vedic wisdom, and thus the mystic cloud of material energy is cleared. Therefore they are known as the Vedas personified. Such persons, being fully aware of knowledge both mundane and transcendental, have no interest in either the mundane or transcendental worlds. They are practically desireless devotees. In the mundane world they have nothing to achieve, and in the transcendental world they are full in themselves. Then why do they come to the mundane world? They descend on different planets as messiahs by the order of the Lord to deliver the fallen souls. On the earth they come down and do good to the people of the world in different circumstances under different climatic influences. They have nothing to do in this world save and except reclaim the fallen souls rotting in material existence, deluded by material energy. SB 1.19.23 purport </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->

So Prabhupada is showing us how Veda spreads throughout the universe. The Vedas Personfied appear in different cultures found through the world and throughout the universe.

Of course the sectarian religionists like the Christians, Hindus and Islamists will not like this idea but it is the truth nontheless.

Just came across an interesting factiod. According to the Oxford English Dictionary the root word for the english word wisdom is the sanskrit word veda. I figure many of you know this already but it was news to me.

And it defines exactly how I have come to see veda and why veda is more than a group of books from a particular land and from a paritcular time in history.

Discuss?

Yeah, that's why there's that group of incarnations of Durga/Kali/Maya called the 'MahaVidyas' or 'Great Wise Ones'. :)

Of course the sectarian religionists like the Christians, Hindus and Islamists will not like this idea but it is the truth nontheless.

Based on what?

Cheers

SB 1.3.26 - O brähmaëas, the incarnations of the Lord are innumerable, like rivulets flowing from inexhaustible sources of water.

SB 1.3.28 - All of the above-mentioned incarnations are either plenary portions or portions of the plenary portions of the Lord, but Lord Sri Krishna is the original Personality of Godhead. All of them appear on planets whenever there is a disturbance created by the atheists. The Lord incarnates to protect the theists.

Salutes

Thanks for that, but humbly, after knowing by the Grace of Hari some of the qualities of Mahatmas, I don't have the courage to claim that I have some love for Krishna or having understood the purpose of Vedas.

Infact, I need to thank you all Vaishnavas, without whom I'm nothing. If with ego, I can claim to have understood something, then I would like to thank Srila Prabhupada and also all the great acharya of the different but same conclusive Sampradaya who rescued me in my delusive moments.

I can never take the credit of anything even if something good can come out of me.

Thanks for that, but humbly, after knowing by the Grace of Hari some of the qualities of Mahatmas, I don't have the courage to claim that I have some love for Krishna or having understood the purpose of Vedas.

Infact, I need to thank you all Vaishnavas, without whom I'm nothing. If with ego, I can claim to have understood something, then I would like to thank Srila Prabhupada and also all the great acharya of the different but same conclusive Sampradaya who rescued me in my delusive moments.

I can never take the credit of anything even if something good can come out of me.

LOL...speak of taking the bait.:rofl:

I am more than just a bit entertained that some individuals who are now proposing that the Vedas are non-sectarian and universal were formerly the same individuals who derided those who based their religious ideas on the Vedas as narrow-minded and sectarian.

"If it's not in my book, therefore it cannot be." (http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/spiritual-discussions/36602-jesus-only-way-2.html#post274915)

This was the ridicule this individual had to offer to someone who refused to accept the supposed truth of Jesus' divinity based on the absence of supporting evidence from the Vedas.

I am more than just a bit entertained that some individuals who are now proposing that the Vedas are non-sectarian and universal were formerly the same individuals who derided those who based their religious ideas on the Vedas as narrow-minded and sectarian.

"If it's not in my book, therefore it cannot be." (http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/spiritual-discussions/36602-jesus-only-way-2.html#post274915)

This was the ridicule this individual had to offer to someone who refused to accept the supposed truth of Jesus' divinity based on the absence of supporting evidence from the Vedas.

He is now trying to provide a new definition of the term Veda. Something that is more in line with his beliefs to include Jesus.

He is now trying to provide a new definition of the term Veda. Something that is more in line with his beliefs to include Jesus.

Right. He thinks that because Veda means "knowledge" it must therefore mean something other than the mantras we now know as Vedas. In his confused mind, Veda refers to something that can incarnate as Bible, Koran, etc at different times and places and has no form or substance.

After all, what we now know as the Veda is in Sanskrit, and as everyone (or at least the expert iskcon theologian) knows, Sanskrit is a dirty, sectarian, Hindu language, and a non-sectarian scripture can't be revealed to us in a sectarian language!