IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
blue88

saying oh my God

Rate this topic

In religions like Christianity it is a bad thing to say this because it is breaking the 3rd commandment of saying God's name in vein. Is it also a bad thing to use God's name in vein in Hinduism?

Pranam

No there is no loss in chanting Lords name in vain or other wise.

Kansa was constantly thinking of Krishna as an enemy and was saved, so what harm can be if one remembers the lord even if in vein, but it would be better done with love.

Jai Shree Krishna

Radhe

Ganesh Prasad you explanation is good.

That's is why in another thread I said that Vaishnavism or maybe Vedic based philosophy is not compatible with Christianity.

There are teachings in Chriatianity that are diametrically opposed to Vaishnavism

Pranam all

O Lord, let any one accept any sadhana, he is free to follow its pursuit.

But to me Your name is the granter of all boons.

Karma, upasana, jnana - the various paths outlined in the Vedas for the emancipation of the soul - all are good.

But I seek only one shelter and that is Your name; I seek nothing besides….Tulsidas Goswami

this age of kali Goswami tulsidas writes

The age of Kali is a store house of impurities and vices but it has many virtues too. Final emancipation is possible in the Kali age without any exertion. Moreover, the same goal which is reached through worship of God, performance of sacrifices or the practice of Yoga in the Satyayuga and in the Treta and Dwapara yuga, men are able to attain through the name of Sri Hari in the Kali age. No other age can compare with the Kali age provided a man has faith (in its virtue); for in this age one can easily cross the ocean of transmigration simply by singing Sri Ram's holy praises.

Glories of Nama –smarana is extolled by nardmuni.

Narshimehta became Ghelo (mad)

Mira became bavri

I have no real taste, but I feel for me there is no other way, but the chanting of holy names of the lord. there is no restriction.

Jai Shree Krishna

Radhe

Ganesh Prasad you explanation is good.

That's is why in another thread I said that Vaishnavism or maybe Vedic based philosophy is not compatible with Christianity.

There are teachings in Chriatianity that are diametrically opposed to Vaishnavism

Incompatible with modern Christianity and the Old Testament, but not incompatible with Jesus:

Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?” So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.” He said to Him, “Which ones?” Jesus said, “ ‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’'

--Matthew 19:16-19

What about cussing and saying God's name in the same sentence? That would seem to be very disrespectful

There are many words that, since being a child, I can remember when & where I learnt a word/Phrase for the first time.

I remember hearing senior devotees say, "Oh, Krishna!" --and I pined that:

"when will I be so fortunate, when I meet with some woe or delight, as to unconsciously & spontaneously exclaim 'Oh, Krishna!' ?"

There is not vernacular tradition in the 'East' to invoke nor connect God's Name to the wish to denegrate/insult/condemn a foe or woe. [so I think in my experiences] --There does seem to be a self-perserving defense pathos in western religious texts, no?

"Hollowed be thy name ..."