IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
rohini108

A New Video

Rate this topic

Here's a new video ...well, its new to me. Almost 40 min. long, it shows the very beginning of the Hare Krishna Movement. Lots of Srila Prabhupada nectar. A watermellon-rind subji is mentioned along with other interesting facts. Hope someone finds this posting valuable. rsd

Watermelon Rind Subji is very helpful and interesting. This video is inspiring to know that we can bring KC simply to our towns. I am gradually aspiring to start a small soup kitchen here. To bring people, nice music, simple food...simple warmth. Please pray for me Rohini that this long term dream in my heart may come true. That confidence to step out may manifest within, and for faith that Krishna will make the way.Thank you.

Watermelon Rind Subji is very helpful and interesting. This video is inspiring to know that we can bring KC simply to our towns. I am gradually aspiring to start a small soup kitchen here. To bring people, nice music, simple food...simple warmth. Please pray for me Rohini that this long term dream in my heart may come true. That confidence to step out may manifest within, and for faith that Krishna will make the way.Thank you.

I love soup. You know, out in Southern California there is a famous soup restaurant. It is called Pea Soup Andersen's . Soup can do very well. Back before I had any knowledge of Srila Prabhupada I was one of the managers at Saratoga Traders, a bar and restaurant located in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. We served a "special" consisting of soup, salad and bread. It was a huge hit because people could eat in a nice place without going broke.

Years later I was one of the original managers of Govinda's in St. Louis and I saw our little restaurant start out with just a few customers to well over 100 on the day I moved to the Chicago temple. We kept our prices very reasonable, the place immaculately clean, the food delicious, and our preaching centered on making friends first and foremost. A formula that works. Dhal was one of our menu items and people loved it. Chota Haridas was the cook.

I remember this one day in particular. I had to go back into the kitchen to get some more strawberry halavah. As I came down the hallway to the swinging doors that led into the main dinning room, I stopped because I couldn't help but notice all the laughter coming from our customers. Srila Prabhupada was singing on our stereo and everyone was smiling and laughing. They were totally oblivious that they were in a temple. They were just lost to the moment. I never forgot that moment. Later when I moved to the Dallas temple and saw how "dead" the place was, I finally convinced the right person and 10 minutes later work on Kalachandji's Restaurant was initiated. This made all the difference for the Dallas temple. You can still eat at Kalachandji's, today. It is actually famous.

But now I am reminded of a negative. Years later I took my wife there. She is just a simple Christian girl from a tiny town in Texas. So I was eager to show her what I had helped build. But I noticed her not eating. Later she told me that I couldn't see it happening because I was facing the wrong direction, but there was an Indian lady across from her that ate her entire meal with her fingers. This actually made my wife feel ill. She had never in her life conceived that a person would eat like that. It totally shocked her. As I said, this was a good many years after I left Dallas but I remember well how we were all cautioned not to turn Kalachandji's into a devotee hangout and act in anyway that might upset new customers. This was good advice.

Anyhow, I think you could do very well. But I am not sure about that watermellon-rind subji. That was mentioned as a last-ditch effort to make something super cheap, because they had no money. Later I will offer a prayer for you, as you requested. But your own prayers and the prayers of your friends should prove much more effective than mine.

Excellent Rohini, thx for sharing.

I bought some watermelon for fun today, I will try it tommorrow. just heading off now to give prasadam to a neighbour.

Downtown today I met one old friend by chance, he lives 90% self sufficient, very intelligent alternative man. He mentioned some places for me to get good produce cheap. One farmer here will sell veggies that are not good for market but will be fine for a day or two. little marks on them and things like that.

I loved hearing your stories...its surely a dream to manifest here. Gaura! Gaura! Nitaai!

Nice video!

Right now I am reading the plays on your site. I can't get enough!

Hare Krishna. Yes...those plays. I put them on the Net over ten years ago. Now I have lost contact with the devotees that I was doing that for. But I know they wanted them out there so I have kept them available. I recently did a little housekeeping on the entire site, ...as you see it now.

I guess by word of mouth they will get spread around. So glad you are enjoying them. By the way, just started reading the book you encouraged me to buy. Again, thank you so much for that!!! rsd