IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Kulapavana

Is Mother Earth witholding grains?

Rate this topic

Global food shortage forces prices up

There is a growing global food crisis. Shortages and rising prices have led to riots in several countries over the past couple of weeks.

There have been protests in Egypt, Bangladesh, the Philippines and Haiti.

080414pak_queue_ap_187.jpg Queues for food are growing in many poorer countries

In some parts of the world, staples like wheat and rice have risen in price by as much as 70% over the past year.

Now the World Bank has recognised the depth of the crisis. Its president, Robert Zoellick, has called for a "New Deal" for the world's poorest countries.

He also wants the world's rich countries to stump up $500m for alleviating hunger - and he's not happy with the response so far.

Listen Listen to his comments (24 secs)

He also made reference to some of the countries most affected by rising food prices, including Haiti.

Listen Listen to his comments (31 secs)

One of the factors driving up food prices has been the switch of agricultural land use from growing food to producing bio-fuels.

080414rapeseed_afp_187.jpg Many people blame bio-fuels for increasing food shortages

It is a simple supply and demand equation: if you produce less food then the price goes up.

Jean Ziegler is the UN special rapporteur on the right to food.

Listen Listen to Jean Ziegler (4 mins 15 secs)

African countries are feeling the effects of the current crisis in both supply and price.

Marcus Prior is spokesperson for the World Food Programme for East and Central Africa.

Listen Listen to Marcus Prior (2 mins 39 secs)

First broadcast 13th and 14th April

For more on the increase in global rice prices click here

(from BBC)

The problem as I see it is spawned in no small measure by the steep curve along which the economies of China and India, amongst others, have been growing for a while. From their traditional statuses as natural exporters of wheat, rice and other basic foodstuffs, these nations, home to nearly half of the global population, have switched to having to import in order to fulfil their massive and exponentially increasing domestic demand levels. This has generated a tremendous turbulence on the world market, with many ripple effects that are yet to manifest, either fully or partially. Hence, we find ourselves in a dire crisis with regards to food supplies, and one that is being felt rather acutely on a worldwide scale.

Of course, the severe droughts and other recurring climatic catastrophes that nations such as Australia and others have been through of late have no doubt exacerbated the already parlous state of affairs, and to a significant extent contributed in further miring the world in the quagmire we find ourselves in. And also, the situation is certainly not aided in any way by the budding love affair with biofuels that we get wind of daily on our TV screens and in the papers. Hence, it is really a combination of factors that has led the planet to where it is presently. Surely, little cause for celebration and rejoicing can be drawn from such a bleak picture.

Right now there is very little food supply stored for emergency. I have seen some estimates, that the world has ony two months worth of food supply in reserve. In other words, if somehow the food production stopped today (as in global winter - or "nuclear winter") people would live only for two months (assuming that food was divided equally). That is actually quite scarry.

The problem as I see it is spawned in no small measure by the steep curve along which the economies of China and India, amongst others, have been growing for a while. From their traditional statuses as natural exporters of wheat, rice and other basic foodstuffs, these nations, home to nearly half of the global population, have switched to having to import in order to fulfil their massive and exponentially increasing domestic demand levels. This has generated a tremendous turbulence on the world market, with many ripple effects that are yet to manifest, either fully or partially. Hence, we find ourselves in a dire crisis with regards to food supplies, and one that is being felt rather acutely on a worldwide scale.

Of course, the severe droughts and other recurring climatic catastrophes that nations such as Australia and others have been through of late have no doubt exacerbated the already parlous state of affairs, and to a significant extent contributed in further miring the world in the quagmire we find ourselves in. And also, the situation is certainly not aided in any way by the budding love affair with biofuels that we get wind of daily on our TV screens and in the papers. Hence, it is really a combination of factors that has led the planet to where it is presently. Surely, little cause for celebration and rejoicing can be drawn from such a bleak picture.

Agreed. These are the main physical factors. However, I think there is another factor at play: the commodity speculators and major agri-business players are positioning themselves to manipulate the food market to make huge profits, just like they did with oil and some other commodities. Food is the new oil in the global enslavement game of international capital.

"The largest rice mill in the Southern Hemisphere, once

processed enough grain to satisfy the daily needs of 20 million people. But

six long years of drought have taken a toll, reducing Australia's rice crop

by 98 percent and leading to the mothballing of the mill last December."

http://groups.google.comalt.global-warming/browse_thread/thread/fe315dc7e5152b8c

Agreed. These are the main physical factors. However, I think there is another factor at play: the commodity speculators and major agri-business players are positioning themselves to manipulate the food market to make huge profits, just like they did with oil and some other commodities. Food is the new oil in the global enslavement game of international capital.

Agreed. The big demons are hard at work seeking total control. Witness Monsanto's moves to control all the seeds. Control the seeds and you control the world. Demon means always seeking to take Krsna's position. Krsna is the seed giving father not Monsanto.

I am seriously thinking about clearing some land from trees to create more garden space. This food crisis is likely only to get worse in the next few years.

Just in the last month I have noticed prices rise some 20% on the things I buy. And I am talking basics like sunflower and other seeds, fruits, veggies and legumes.

I can't shop for less expensive food as that is what I buy already. No land to clear for a garden of any size. Still I can't call myself poor when I think of the condition a lot of the world's population lives under.

The trick will be to remember Krsna amidst the turmoil and unheaval. If we do we can turn the coming storm into a great learning experience. "The environment is friendly."- BR Sridhar Maharaja

Just in the last month I have noticed prices rise some 20% on the things I buy. And I am talking basics like sunflower and other seeds, fruits, veggies and legumes.

I think the government is lying to us wholesale when it comes to inflation. The real inflation rate is much more than the official 3.6% per year. It is probably 3.6% per month. They are printing money out of nothing and thus stealing from everybody who has dollar nominated holdings. That is also as demonic as it gets... :(

I think the government is lying to us wholesale when it comes to inflation.

Well the government cant exactly lie in a open economy ... cause the procurement and sales figures are open for all to see... a RTI "right to information act" application can get you these figures if you are interested...

the problem actually is that this is the election year... both in India and in the US... prise rising is a regular election year phenomenon... huge unaccounted funds are required for campaigns and electioneering... the political parties (at least in india) will bully and extort the money from local businessmen and traders and the businessmen will recover the money by hoarding commodities and creating artificial shortages... to recover the money 'Donated' ... the political masters will look the other way ensure that the storehouses and godowns storing the hoarded goods arent raided. and the press will be paid money and fed the relevent stories which give fake justifications to justify the price rises... if you look the food production hasnt reduced dramatically between last year and this year... and yet the price rise is far in excess to the proportion to the reduction in food production...

I think the government is lying to us wholesale when it comes to inflation. The real inflation rate is much more than the official 3.6% per year. It is probably 3.6% per month. They are printing money out of nothing and thus stealing from everybody who has dollar nominated holdings. That is also as demonic as it gets... :(

Should things keep deteriorating so intently and rapidly, I could start thinking that maybe, just maybe, there is perhaps a modicum of truth to the reptilian Prison Warden crackpot theories of David Icke.:wacko:

Should things keep deteriorating so intently and rapidly, I could start thinking that maybe, just maybe, there is perhaps a modicum of truth to the reptilian Prison Warden crackpot theories of David Icke.:wacko:

News

The real Good Life: An entire village turns against supermarkets and grows its own food

By LUKE SALKELD - More by this author » Last updated at 17:46pm on 14th April 2008 commentIconSm.gif Comments (19)

It was a sitcom that inspired many a household to live off the land.

And although it might not attract the likes of Margo and Jerry to move to the area, an entire village is trying its hand at the Good Life.

In a bid to become less dependent on supermarkets, the residents of Martin are working together to become as self-sufficient as possible.

Scroll down for more ...

1VillageVegsBNPS_468x439.jpg

Villagers of Martin, Hants, who have shunned supermarkets to grow their own meat and veg

enlarge.gif

The Hampshire village is now home to hundreds of real life versions of the characters played by Felicity Kendall and Richard Briers, who lived off the land in the 1970s BBC comedy.

They work on a rota system and raise their own chickens and pigs and grow potatoes, garlic, onions, chillis and green vegetables on eight acres of rented land.

Of the 164 families who live in Martin, 101 have signed up as members of Future Farms for an annual £2 fee, although the produce can be sold to anyone who wants to buy it.

The "community allotment" sells 45 types of vegetables and 100 chickens a week, and is run by a committee which includes a radiologist, a computer programmer and a former probation officer.

Scroll down for more ...

GoodLife3BBC_468x426.jpg

In The Good Life, Tom and Barbara (played by Richard Briers and Felicity Kendal) try to live a self-sufficient lifestyle by converting their garden into allotments

Nick Snelgar, 58, who came up with idea in 2003, said the project was gradually "weaning" villagers off of supermarkets.

He said: "I like to think of it as a large allotment in which there are lots of Barbaras and Toms working away.

"There are also Margos as well, but everyone can get involved.

"The nearest supermarket is six miles away. Of course people still have to go there for things like loo roll and deodorant and fruit you can't grow in Britain.

"So we aren't boycotting supermarkets entirely but we are gradually weaning people off them and as a result are reducing our carbon footprint by not using carrier bags and packaging."

Scroll down for more ...

1VillageHallBNPS_468x361.jpg

Every Saturday the produce is sold at the village hall

martBNPS1004_468x285.jpg

The good life: The village of Martin nestles in the Hampshire countryside

Mr Snelgar, a horticulturalist, said the VAT-registered co-operative had grown so much that last year it had a turnover of £27,000 - most of which was ploughed back into the scheme.

He said: "We began with vegetables and we found that all the skills we needed were here in the village.

"After the vegetables we introduced chickens and then pigs and we learned inch by inch.

"We have other producers whose goods we sell and they include a sheep farmer and someone who has honey.

Scroll down for more ...

The farm sells 20 pigs a year as well as chickens and lambs and is now starting to sell beef

"It has been a fantastically interesting experience and we now have four plots of land covering eight acres.

"There are 164 families in the village and they include about 300 adults and 100 children, so there are about 400 creatures to feed.'

Every Saturday the community comes together with their produce which is sold at the village hall.

Mr Snelgar added: "The most popular thing we sell is carrots.

Scroll down for more ...

Z1GoodLifeBNPS_468x316.jpg

The majority of families have signed up to the scheme, but anyone can buy the produce

"People love the smell of fresh carrots, and we pull them out of the ground the day before we sell them.

"We don't yet do dairy, but we hope to include that in the future and we also intend to grow raspberries and strawberries.

"We set the prices by working out how much the food costs to produce. We then add 20 per cent.

"Our pork sausages, for example, are sometimes cheaper than sausages you buy in the supermarkets. We break even and all money gets ploughed back in.

"When we started some people thought it would fail and we'd never last, but as the years have gone by more and more people have become involved.

"It is also a talking point in the village and it's great to see people walking to the village hall on a Saturday morning talking to each other. It has created a sense of belonging."

Scroll down for more ...

Z3GoodLifeBNPS_468x550.jpg

One villager said they are not boycotting supermarkets but are weaning people off them

I know what you mean. The same hopelessly depressing trend has in fact gripped the Mauritian local market. The majority of people seem to be in utter despair about it all. I keep wracking my brains over the issue, but to no avail - no lasting, sustainable way out looks set to emerge from any corner.

line_bg.gif

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td>

</td> </tr> <tr> <td>

Liars, Wall Street & Your Gold

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> <table border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center" width="50"> willie.JPG</td> <td> By Jim Willie CB bio.gif mailicon.gifprinticon.gif

Apr 16 2008 12:13PM

</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="50">bg_trans.gif</td> <td>

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> Few seem to remember that Wall Street is not a non-profit community driven by altruism or any sense of service. They would gladly cheat you out of your entire life savings if their actions were legal, or at least not prosecuted. In the last two to three years, the lies, deception, misdirection, false reporting, corruption, and grand fraud will be the topic of historical accounts for decades. When returning on my flights from another successful Cambridge House gold conference, this in Calgary Alberta, many thoughts came to mind, jotted down while gazing at the natural beauty made up from cloud blankets with a sun guarding its lot. The sun and clouds care not at all about economic landscapes underneath, even if in turmoil. Whenever travels take me across national borders, nationalism, idealism, culture, and dreams come to mind. It seems pursuit of truth, clarity, and integrity has become negotiable, one and all in the United States. Its people are being stripped of so much. Perhaps this layout will be helpful. Routinely such matters are covered in the Hat Trick Letter reports. Gold & silver continue to do well to protect individuals and their wealth. Banks are no longer safe, an astonishing conclusion. Bonds are not safe, and neither are money market funds!!!

USGOVT ECONOMIC STATISTICS

It all starts with outright doctoring on a chronic basis by the USGovt, to the point that the vast majority understands and accepts the practice. Therein lies the foundation for the system extending the institutionalized dishonesty of the nation, carried further by Wall Street as it endorses the doctored statistics routinely. The fish rots from the head down, Wall Street being the blood system, the economy the torso. Put your full faith in accurate economic statistical gathering with the Shadow Govt Statistics crew led by John Williams. No, not the man of Boston Pops musical fame, the other guy. The Gross Domestic Product has been running negative in growth except for a couple quarters five or six years ago, now about minus 2.3% or so. The Consumer Price Index has been accelerating lately, now at 11.8% and still climbing. People do eat food, and people do require energy, so please no need to remove them from calculations. The unemployment rate has been also rising lately, now at 9.8% or so. If out of work, then unemployed, that simple, so no need to talk about participation or discouraged workers by the goofy methods in the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The Birth-Death Model is another colossal fraud. Good thing few know what it is. The lies can choke a horse. Motive is clear, to present a picture of strength to sell stocks and government bonds. If the real CPI was widely known to be over 10%, both USTreasurys would suffer declines and gold would be pushed to the heavens.

apr162008_1.jpg

USDOLLAR REBOUNDING… NOT !!!

The USDollar has been trying to rebound for a month. Past USDollar charts offered in my analysis have entirely focused upon weekly charts. The daily chart over just the past six months is highly revealing. In the last two months, the 20-day moving average has served as stiff upside resistance. The stochastix show difficulty in staying above the 50 midline, a sign of weakness in the rebound attempt. With growing federal deficits, widening trade deficits, an underwater banking capital core, and rising homeowner negative equity, the US financial fundamentals resemble a banana republic on four primary pillars, unworthy of any currency rebound. The pair of 20-day and 50-day moving averages are still declining. Look for a breakdown to 70 and below in the next several weeks. The downtrend is stronger than any newly formed basis for a bottom bounce. The impact on gold will be to send it over the 1000 level again, this time as floor support for the summer advances. The next USFed rate cut could be the impetus. A game of chicken is being played by the Euro Central Bank, which refused to cut rates since last summer.

apr162008_2.jpg

OIL PRICE WILL FALL AS USECONOMY SLOWS

Nice thought, but the US is not the engine of global growth anymore. Asia and the Middle East are the wealth centers, where trade surpluses accumulate. Whatever slack in US demand, Asian demand will grab it. Besides, incremental growth in Brazil, Russia, India, and China (the BRIC nations) is associated on a decreasing level with their exports to the US. The crude oil price is surely determined by equilibrium in supply & demand, however, the entire curves are altered by the falling USDollar. Wall Street cannot seem to admit in its mouthpieces that the USDollar will keep the crude oil price high, and demand from growing emerging economies will prevent much of any price drop from a weaker USEconomy. The entire claim smacks of US arrogance. With the crude oil price hitting $114 per barrel, will Wall Street firms drop their 2008 call for relaxation back to the 80-90 level? Doubtful. Sponsored (ordered?) attacks of hedge funds with cutbacks in credit and margin calls did nothing to bring down the crude oil price.

US BANKS HAVE SEEN THE WORST NEWS

This is not even close to being true, addressed in a previous recent article. Housing prices are accelerating down, driven by some degree of capitulation on price. The high level of inventory continues to be aggravated by more home foreclosures. Anecdotal evidence supports this, as February prices were a quantum level lower. Hired home processors working on the behalf of bankers and lenders simply gave up. They want to move inventory, period. Again, the point must be repeated until it happens. The Exploding ARMs, the prime adjustable rate mortgages with negative amortization option features, they will begin failing this summer as they reset. When the rising loan limit is hit, the monthly payment doubles or triples! The phenomenon of walking away from mortgages has worsened lately. US banks will suffer wave after wave of losses. The new US Federal Reserve lending facilities are a certain help, but not a cure. The banks are suffering from colossal strain in negative capital core, a situation growing worse by the month. Their capital has melted down completely. Their status will eventually become worse than Japan’s from 1990.

CONTAINMENT OF SUBPRIME

This was the wrong deceitful refrain last autumn. My analysis refuted it steadily, calling the problem one of absolute bond contagion. The totality of spread risk to the entire global banking system is now finally recognized. The subprime infection has spread to asset backed commercial paper, to prime mortgages, to commercial mortgages, to municipal bonds, to car loans, and to credit card loans. European, English, and Asian banks are all affected. Perhaps the so-called experts were simply wrong in their claim of containment, but doubtful. Most likely they were a combination of liars and incompetents.

NO SPILLOVER TO OVERALL ECONOMY

This is an ongoing refrain, another cartload of bull cookies. Since the claimed economic expansion began in 2002, the boast was that the financial sector lifted the entire USEconomy. But now, with strain, pain, and no gain on the financial side, we are told to believe no spillover. When is there EVER no spillover from financial to economic? Never! The connection is obvious, as companies, households, and individuals are increasingly frustrated with blocked loans. Approval of loans is a major challenge. Reduced economic activity is the immediate result. The fact that negative GDP statistics have not been registered yet, only means not yet. Besides, there is an integrated 4% to 5% lie in the GDP anyway. A negative official GDP means a 5% recession, which is horrific.

TURNAROUND IN SECOND HALF

Once more, we hear this desperate refrain. When it hits my ears, it hurts them. This is the most desperate of claims, used recently by USFed Chairman Bernanke. It is also used by Wall Street firms. The USEconomy is at the tipping point, almost negative on even the official GDP. The US corporate profitability is also at the tipping point, almost negative after losing its growth. The second half of the year is far enough away, that it is not within quick reach. The second half of the year is far enough away, that if the turnaround fails, most people will forget. This is a standard con, woven in desperation. The words ‘Second Half’ should evoke laughter, nay, guffaws.

LIMITS ON MORTGAGE RELATED LOSSES

Last late summer, Bernanke spoke publicly about an estimated $200 billion in total mortgage portfolio and bond losses. My estimate was $2000 billion, as in $2 trillion. Any such similar estimate of this magnitude by a person in a prominent position would have evoked fear and trembling. So the ratcheted estimate technique has been deployed. The estimates now have finally reached $1000 billion, from more than two or three corners. With the next prime Option ARM wave of failures, the estimates will move toward $2 trillion. Again, the purpose of Wall Street and USFed pronouncements is not accuracy, but control of the people so as to avert panic. Boil the frogs slowly.

full article: http://www.kitco.com/ind/willie/apr162008.html

I have a feeling that they are more right than wrong on this stuff.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Source: MSNBC</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD vAlign=top>Published: April 15, 2008 Author: (AP)</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- $OIL + $GMO + $JEWCONS = $FOOD + $STARVATION -->NEW YORK - Steve Tarpin can bake a graham cracker crust in his sleep, but explaining why the price for his Key lime pies went from $20 to $25 required mastering a thornier topic: global economics.

He recently wrote a letter to his customers and posted it near the cash register listing the factors — dairy prices driven higher by conglomerates buying up milk supplies, heat waves in Europe and California, demand from emerging markets and the weak dollar.

The owner of Steve’s Authentic Key Lime Pies in Brooklyn said he didn’t want customers thinking he was “jacking up prices because I have a unique product.”

“I have to justify it,” he said.

The U.S. is wrestling with the worst food inflation in 17 years, and analysts expect new data due on Wednesday to show it’s getting worse. That’s putting the squeeze on poor families and forcing bakeries, bagel shops and delis to explain price increases to their customers.

U.S. food prices rose 4 percent in 2007, compared with an average 2.5 percent annual rise for the last 15 years, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. And the agency says 2008 could be worse, with a rise of as much as 4.5 percent.

Higher prices for food and energy are again expected to play a leading role in pushing the government’s consumer price index higher for March.

Analysts are forecasting that Wednesday’s Department of Labor report will show the Consumer Price Index rose at a 4 percent annual rate in the first three months of the year, up from last year’s overall rise of 2.8 percent.

For the U.S. poor, any increase in food costs sets up an either-or equation: Give something up to pay for food.

“I was talking to people who make $9 an hour, talking about how they might save $5 a week,” said Kathleen DiChiara, president and CEO of the Community FoodBank of New Jersey. “They really felt they couldn’t. That was before. Now, they have to.”

For some, that means adding an extra cup of water to their soup, watering down their milk, or giving their children soda because it’s cheaper than milk, DiChiara said.

U.S. households still spend a smaller chunk of their expenses for foods than in any other country — 7.2 percent in 2006, according to the USDA. By contrast, the figure was 22 percent in Poland and more than 40 percent in Egypt and Vietnam.

In Bangladesh, economists estimate 30 million of the country’s 150 million people could be going hungry. Haiti’s prime minister was ousted over the weekend following food riots there.

Still, the higher U.S. prices seem eye-popping after years of low inflation. Eggs cost 25 percent more in February than they did a year ago, according to the USDA. Milk and other dairy products jumped 13 percent, chicken and other poultry nearly 7 percent.

USDA economist Ephraim Leibtag explained the jumps in a recent presentation to the Food Marketing Institute, starting with the factors everyone knows about: sharply higher commodity costs for wheat, corn, soybeans and milk, plus higher energy and transportation costs.

The other reasons are more complex. Rapid economic growth in China and India has increased demand for meat there, and exports of U.S. products, such as corn, have set records as the weak dollar has made them cheaper. That’s lowered the supply of corn available for sale in the U.S., raising prices here. Ethanol production has also diverted corn from dinner tables and into fuel tanks.

Soybean prices have gone up as farmers switched more of their acreage to corn. Drought in Australia has even affected the price of bread, as it led to tighter global wheat supplies.

The jump has left people in the food business to do their own explaining. Twin Cafe Caterers in lower Manhattan posted a letter on its deli cooler: “Due to the huge increase of the gas, the electricity, the water and all the other utilities, we had to raise the prices a little bit.” It went on to say that all its food prices have risen, too.

Wonder Bagels, in Jersey City, N.J., posted a letter from its wheat supplier, A. Oliveri & Sons, saying the recent situation was unprecedented.

“The major mills across the country are using words like ’rationing’ and ’shortages’ if things continue,” it said. “We will sweat out the summer together, hoping there will be some flour left to purchase at any price.”

The letter called for an immediate halt to exports and a change in farm policy, “stop paying farmers NOT to grow crops.” A new farm bill, stalled in Congress, would expand farm subsidies if it passes, however.

For some Americans, the resulting increases might be barely perceptible. The Cheesecake Factory raised prices by 1.5 percent at the end of February, Applebee’s by 3 percent.

But for the poorest U.S. families, the higher costs may mean going hungry. A family of four is eligible for a maximum $542 a month in food stamps, which never lasted the whole month before, Food Bank of New Jersey’s DiChiara said.

“Now food stamps go fewer and fewer days of the month,” she said.

The Food Bank recently got a letter of its own from a key vendor. Its grim message: Sorry, but the prices they charge the Food Bank would be increasing 20 percent, due to food inflation.

There is nothing wrong with Dharti Mata, I think the main problems lie with her sons.

spaces provided for cultivation are sufficient;

capital needed is sufficient;

labour required is sufficient;

I'm wondering what can be wrong with Mother Earth?

On the other hand, from the sons part, what are not sufficient:-

1. insatiable greed

2. lust

3. the need for more possessions

4. the list is too long

and still I'm optimistic... Mother earth still has some good sons.

Amerika could feed the World, if........IF it stoped killing Cow/Bulls/Oxen who eat huge amounts themselves of precious grains, legumes etc.

Amerika, stop raising Cows as "live stock" and use the same grains and legumes to feed the world! Stupid!

Amerika could feed the World, if........IF it stoped killing Cow/Bulls/Oxen who eat huge amounts themselves of precious grains, legumes etc.

Amerika, stop raising Cows as "live stock" and use the same grains and legumes to feed the world! Stupid!

Gotta admit that would be neat but it would take a major change in mindset that would require something beyond extraordinary in my opinion. Whether that ends up being a war, alien visitation, or an appearance of Krishna, or something else I don't know?

Indeed, the meat industry is one of the biggest culprits in this story. Aside from the well-documented monstrous amounts of pollution that it causes on a whole range of levels, land that would otherwise be put to efficient and proper use in the production of grains and vegetables for human consumption gets diverted to a lesser purpose in the cultivation of soya beans, a major item of cattle fodder in many countries. The most pitiable thing is, the inherent futility of this practice in terms of the enormous wastage of resources that it automatically entails is well-known, and there is a crisp, eruditely-thought-out as well as voluminous literature on the theme. When weighted in the balance against the billions that are at stake, in the modern playground of international capitalism, the future of the planet and of humanity at large invariably gets relegated to the back seat, unluckily.

Yes the PeTA flyer is good but incomplete. It needs to be connected up to Krsna consciousness and related topics.

For instance how about a similar flyer that has the additional information about reincarnation and karma. What happens to the soul who causes so much suffering to the animals and mother earth? Does he escape any future punishment by dying or does he indeed survive death and through karmic law is held accountable for the suffering he has caused and the mess he has made?

Animal rights is a good cause on it's own but it is simultaneously a perfect vehicle for introducing basic spiritual truths the lack of which are the basis for all this selfish behavior in the first place.