IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
harekrsna20

Kamada Ekadasi

Rate this topic

Hello,

this would be my first time fasting on kamada ekadasi, therefore i have no knowlegde on how to keep it. I read it somewhere that one is suppose to break the fast at sunset arnd 5-6pm.. what are we suppose to do during the day?

thank u

hare krsna

You can keep ekadasi very simply by taking fruits, nuts, dairy, and simple vegetable dishes. Just make sure none of your product contains grain.

And during the day spend more time with the Lord by chanting, reading, even collecting some flowers from the garden to offer in simple devotion...we can get creative with devotion and simple, etc. That is important....a day to remember God.

If things become 'too strict and only external' about rules, we may miss the essence and beauty of things. But saying that regulation in life is beneficial even for the materialist.

You can read lots of things about ekadasi here - click

And here is the list of acceptable foods click here

Thank you for ur response. I really appreciate it. I am very excited for this day. I saw the story of this ekadasi on the vaishnava calendar and it looks to be interesting. So, definately i will fast to my full ability.. So, just checking again.. i should fast throughout the day right? when shall i break the fast?

thank u

may krsna bless u with eternal happiness :)

hare krsna

You can keep ekadasi very simply by taking fruits, nuts, dairy, and simple vegetable dishes. Just make sure none of your product contains grain.

And during the day spend more time with the Lord by chanting, reading, even collecting some flowers from the garden to offer in simple devotion...we can get creative with devotion and simple, etc. That is important....a day to remember God.

If things become 'too strict and only external' about rules, we may miss the essence and beauty of things. But saying that regulation in life is beneficial even for the materialist.

You can read lots of things about ekadasi here - click

And here is the list of acceptable foods click here

Some people only take water on ekadasi, and some just eat lightly. As far as I understand you can take meal anytime during the day on ekadasi. Best check with someone else though, I could be wrong.

Yesterday was Rama's appearance day so I took simple fruits and things after sunset.

Do whatever feels right for you. One thing I have learnt though, if we try to be too austere, we dont normally maintain much long term. That is my encounter anyhow. I would prefer to offer nice fruits and a simple veggie dish, like a nice pumpkin with yoghurt. I am not so austere.

But I definately chant on jaap beads much more on ekadasi normally. Hopefully:)

You can break grain fast next morning by taking grains. Times are normally on calendars, do be honest I am not so regulated, so this week I may take some nuts (if I have them in the house), next morning after I awake and have shower etc.

Well, i did a nirjaal (no water, no food ) fast on mahashivrati this yr for 24 hrs. after that i got a headache.. and since my exams are this week, i think i wont be able to keep nirjaal(waterless) fast. However, I am thinking of just doing a liquid only fast, that is If i have krsna's mercy. I am very excited! :D . Thank u for ur help and i will definately check with ISKCON.

hare krsna :)

Some people only take water on ekadasi, and some just eat lightly. As far as I understand you can take meal anytime during the day on ekadasi. Best check with someone else though, I could be wrong.

Yesterday was Rama's appearance day so I took simple fruits and things after sunset.

Do whatever feels right for you. One thing I have learnt though, if we try to be too austere, we dont normally maintain much long term. That is my encounter anyhow. I would prefer to offer nice fruits and a simple veggie dish, like a nice pumpkin with yoghurt. I am not so austere.

But I definately chant on jaap beads much more on ekadasi normally. Hopefully:)

You can break grain fast next morning by taking grains. Times are normally on calendars, do be honest I am not so regulated, so this week I may take some nuts (if I have them in the house), next morning after I awake and have shower etc.

Pretty sure they do, yep. Another one of the wonderful paradoxs and seeming contradictions in vedic culture.

(Makes one wonder what holds the tradition together in unity and peace. Maybe in kali yuga that unity and peace is fading away too. But hey, I am an optimist, there is always labor pains before the birth of a beautiful child)