IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
vinod1997

I want to take sanyasa

Rate this topic

One must be qualified to take sannyasa, I am not doubting you but please put your qualifications. Qualification cannot be: I cannot maintain my family and therefore to be relieved of responsibilities I want to take sannyasa. One must have an absolute mood of surrender.

One must be qualified to take sannyasa, I am not doubting you but please put your qualifications. Qualification cannot be: I cannot maintain my family and therefore to be relieved of responsibilities I want to take sannyasa. One must have an absolute mood of surrender.

First you must stay in temple life as a "vanaprastha" retiree.

Then after 10 or 20 years of living life as a vanaprastha brahmacaryi you can request a senior sannyasa to offer you sanyasa-initiation and thus you can 'enjoy' the sannyasa duties without anxiety regarding fall-down nor great strain of effort.

Remember that you are being told this by a vaisnava devotee who expects you to enter an "authentic" vaisnava ashram which is in direct disciplic-succession [parampara] descending from Sri Krishna-Chatanya Mahaprabhu as is customary for bhakti-yogis. I recommend the Brahma-Madhva-Gaudiya-Sampradaya as is the International Society for Krishna Consciouness (Iskcon), also known as the 'Hare Krishna Hare Ram People'.

Go to this site for an ashram nearest to you:

http://www.iskcon.com/worldwide/centres/index.html

No line of demarcation should be drawn between spiritual and material life. Till you'll not find yourself at peace in any kind of situation, there is no scope for Renunciation.

Vedas means 'knowledge'. Knowledge means ability to desciminate, ie: to distinguish between butter and cheese--It is the same but it is absolutely different.

So a definitive demarcation must be drawn --until the demarcation becomes an impedement to observing the rules of bhakti-yoga.

Peace is only first available through the disciplines of life. No pain no gain. You must attend class and you must not be 'un-mindfully' whimsical with your alloted time in life.

First, 'the sacrifice of focus effort', then the reward for following the pre-requisite course of study.

This may be a good analogy:

"No line of demarcation should be drawn between having a "driver's licence" and having no "driver's licence". Till you'll not find yourself at peace in any kind of situation, there is no scope for being detected by the highway police."

Then after 10 or 20 years of living life as a vanaprastha brahmacaryi you can request a senior sannyasa to offer you sanyasa-initiation and thus you can 'enjoy' the sannyasa duties without anxiety regarding fall-down nor great strain of effort.

Remember that you are being told this by a vaisnava devotee who expects you to enter an "authentic" vaisnava ashram which is in direct disciplic-succession [parampara] descending from Sri Krishna-Chatanya Mahaprabhu as is customary for bhakti-yogis. I recommend the Brahma-Madhva-Gaudiya-Sampradaya as is the International Society for Krishna Consciouness (Iskcon), also known as the 'Hare Krishna Hare Ram People'.

Well, bhaktajan prabhu, do you know that you can also preach while being in Vanaprastha, Grhastha and brahmachari ashramas also? I am in no way trying to discourage this person to take sanyasa. But Srila Prabhupada didn't like it when people simply came to him to take sanyasa to get relief from their responsibilities. If people do that, they will take sanyasa and then just kind of relax (all responsiblities over). Real sanyasa is to give up everything and use energy for Krishna. Sanyasa isn't a relief from responsiblities, it is a very big responsibilty in itself. If this person is ready for that responsibility, then I think that is great. You can follow the suggestion of bhaktajan prabhu at the bottom of his email.

I am just saying that sanyasa is not meant as a relief from responsibilties. It is in itself a big responsibility. If this person is ready to accept then I think that is wonderful. Not mahy people are will to accept such a big responsibility.

If he thinks that he can take such a big responsibility then I think that would be great! I just wanted to make him informed that sanyasa is not a relief from responsibilties, but it in itself is a great but wonderful responsibility!

Vedas means 'knowledge'. Knowledge means ability to desciminate, ie: to distinguish between butter and cheese--It is the same but it is absolutely different.

So a definitive demarcation must be drawn --until the demarcation becomes an impedement to observing the rules of bhakti-yoga.

Peace is only first available through the disciplines of life. No pain no gain. You must attend class and you must not be 'un-mindfully' whimsical with your alloted time in life.

First, 'the sacrifice of focus effort', then the reward for following the pre-requisite course of study.

This may be a good analogy:

"No line of demarcation should be drawn between having a "driver's licence" and having no "driver's licence". Till you'll not find yourself at peace in any kind of situation, there is no scope for being detected by the highway police."

Yes, you are right. But these were not the points that I wanted to outline. All the things that you've pointed out, happen at the initital stage of the self realisation quest. My focal point was post self-realisation.

Yes, you are right. But these were not the points that I wanted to outline. All the things that you've pointed out, happen at the initital stage of the self realisation quest. My focal point was post self-realisation.

"Post Self-Realisation" is a very good sentiment all unto itself, no?

I will ponder this idea further.

But for now allow me to state an old saying from the far-east orient that I've known since I was a boy:

"Before enlightenment 'Chop wood and carry water' after enlightenment 'Chop wood and carry water'."

PS: My Dear Sir,

There is no higher status in all the three planetary systems and no higher status in all the fourteen worlds than to be a bonefide Vaisnava Brahmacaryi.

"Post Self-Realisation" is a very good sentiment all unto itself, no?

I will ponder this idea further.

But for now allow me to state an old saying from the far-east orient that I've known since I was a boy:

"Before enlightenment 'Chop wood and carry water' after enlightenment 'Chop wood and carry water'."

PS: My Dear Sir,

There is no higher status in all the three planetary systems and no higher status in all the fourteen worlds than to be a bonefide Vaisnava Brahmacaryi.

From where did you get the idea that the status classification about a Brahmachari Vaisnava is the Best?

Before enlightenment 'Chop wood and carry water' for oneselfafter enlightenment 'Chop wood and carry water' for God, the entire scenario changes.

PS: My dear sir,

The intensity of love for God does not depend on the external paraphernalia of the Devotee but on Love itself.

A)-- From where did you get the idea that the status classification about a Brahmachari Vaisnava is the Best?

B)-- Before enlightenment 'Chop wood and carry water' for oneselfafter enlightenment 'Chop wood and carry water' for God, the entire scenario changes.

C)-- PS: My dear sir,

The intensity of love for God does not depend on the external paraphernalia of the Devotee but on Love itself.

A)--SB 2.2.30 Purport: . . . Five thousand years ago, when the social status of human society was in perfect Vedic order, the yoga process mentioned herein was a common affair for everyone because everyone, and especially the brähmaëa and kñatriya, was trained in the transcendental art under the care of the spiritual master far away from home, in the status of brahmacarya. Modern man, however, is incompetent to understand it perfectly.

SB 2.7.6 Purport: . . . Great vows of austerity are undertaken by sages to achieve success in self-realization. Human life is meant for such tapasya, with the great vow of celibacy, or brahmacarya. In the rigid life of tapasya, there is no place for the association of women. And because human life is meant for tapasya, for self-realization, factual human civilization, as conceived by the system of sanätana-dharma or the school of four castes and four orders of life, prescribes rigid dissociation from woman in three stages of life. In the order of gradual cultural development, one’s life may be divided into four divisions: celibacy, household life, retirement, and renunciation. During the first stage of life, up to twenty-five years of age, a man may be trained as a brahmacäré under the guidance of a bona fide spiritual master just to understand that woman is the real binding force in material existence. If one wants to get freedom from the material bondage of conditional life, he must get free from the attraction for the form of woman. Woman, or the fair sex, is the enchanting principle for the living entities, and the male form, especially in the human being, is meant for self-realization.

SB 3.21.4 Purport: . . . Here Vidura inquired about Kardama Muni and his wife, Devahüti, and about their children. It is described here that Devahüti was very much advanced in the performance of eightfold yoga.

The eight divisions of yoga performance are described as (1) control of the senses, (2) strict following of the rules and regulations, (3) practice of the different sitting postures, (4) control of the breath, (5) withdrawing the senses from sense objects, (6) concentration of the mind, (7) meditation and (8) self-realization. After self-realization there are eight further perfectional stages, which are called yoga-siddhis.

The husband and wife, Kardama and Devahüti, were advanced in yoga practice; the husband was a mahä-yogé, great mystic, and the wife was a yoga-lakñaëa, or one advanced in yoga. They united and produced children. Formerly, after making their lives perfect, great sages and saintly persons used to beget children, otherwise they strictly observed the rules and regulations of celibacy.

Brahmacarya (following the rules and regulations of celibacy) is required for perfection of self-realization and mystic power. There is no recommendation in the Vedic scriptures that one can go on enjoying material sense gratification at one’s whims, as one likes, and at the same time become a great meditator by paying a rascal some money.

SB 4.22.12 "Mahäräja Påthu offered his welcome to the four Kumäras, addressing them as the best of the brähmaëas. He welcomed them, saying: From the beginning of your birth you strictly observed the vows of celibacy, and although you are experienced in the path of liberation, you are keeping yourselves just like small children."

PURPORT

The specific importance of the Kumäras is that they were brahmacärés, living the life of celibacy from birth. They kept themselves as small children about four or five years old because by growing into youth one’s senses sometimes become disturbed and celibacy becomes difficult.

The Kumäras therefore purposefully remained children because in a child’s life the senses are never disturbed by sex. This is the significance of the life of the Kumäras, and as such Mahäräja Påthu addressed them as the best of the brähmaëas. Not only were the Kumäras born of the best brähmaëa (Lord Brahmä), but they are addressed herein as dvija-çreñöhäù (“the best of the brähmaëas”) on account of their being Vaiñëavas also.

As we have already explained, they have their sampradäya (disciplic succession), and even to date the sampradäya is being maintained and is known as the Nimbärka-sampradäya. Out of the four sampradäyas of the Vaiñëava äcäryas, the Nimbärka-sampradäya is one. Mahäräja Påthu specifically appreciated the position of the Kumäras because they maintained the brahmacarya vow from the very beginning of their birth.

Mahäräja Påthu, however, expressed his great appreciation of Vaiñëavism by addressing the Kumäras as vaiñëava-çreñöhäù. In other words, everyone should offer respect to a Vaiñëava without considering his source of birth. Vaiñëave jäti-buddhiù.

No one should consider a Vaiñëava in terms of birth. The Vaiñëava is always the best of the brähmaëas, and as such one should offer all respects to a Vaiñëava, not only as a brähmaëa but as the best of the brähmaëas.

SB 5.5.10-13 Purport: . . . By associating with the devotee, a spiritual standard is maintained . . . There are many so-called religions devoted to the worship of various demigods, but here good association means association with one who simply accepts Kåñëa as his worshipable Deity.

. . . As long as one is situated in the material world, there must be pleasure and pain arising from the material body. As Kåñëa advises in Bhagavad-gétä, täàs titikñasva bhärata. One has to learn how to tolerate the temporary pains and pleasures of this material world.

One must also be detached from his family and practice celibacy. Sex with one’s wife according to the scriptural injunctions is also accepted as brahmacarya (celibacy), but illicit sex is opposed to religious principles, and it hampers advancement in spiritual consciousness.

Another important word is vijïäna-viräjita. Everything should be done very scientifically and consciously. One should be a realized soul. In this way, one can give up the entanglement of material bondage.

SB 5.5.31 "A brother aware of the principles of religion follows in the footsteps of his elder brothers. Because of being highly elevated, such a pious brother gets the opportunity to associate and enjoy with demigods like the Maruts, who are all affectionate to their brothers."

PURPORT

According to their belief in various material relationships, people are promoted to various planets. Here it is said that one who is very faithful to his brothers should follow a path similar to theirs and get the opportunity for promotion to Marudloka. Närada Muni advised Prajäpati Dakña’s second group of sons to follow their elder brothers and be promoted to the spiritual world.

SB 6.5.32 "Çukadeva Gosvämé continued: O best of the advanced Äryans, after saying this much to the sons of Prajäpati Dakña, Närada Muni, whose merciful glance never goes in vain, left as he had planned. The sons of Dakña followed their elder brothers. Not attempting to produce children, they engaged themselves in Kåñëa consciousness."

SB 6.5.33 "The Savaläçvas took to the correct path, which is obtainable by a mode of life meant to achieve devotional service, or the mercy of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Like nights that have gone to the west, they have not returned even until now."

SB 6.5.34 "At this time, Prajäpati Dakña observed many inauspicious signs, and he heard from various sources that his second group of sons, the Savaläçvas, had followed the path of their elder brothers in accordance with the instructions of Närada."

SB 6.5.35 "When he heard that the Savaläçvas had also left this world to engage in devotional service, Dakña was angry at Närada, and he almost fainted due to lamentation. When Dakña met Närada, Dakña’s lips began trembling in anger, and he spoke as follows."

PURPORT

Çréla Viçvanätha Cakravarté Öhäkura comments that Närada Muni had delivered the entire family of Sväyambhuva Manu, beginning with Priyavrata and Uttänapäda. He had delivered Uttänapäda’s son Dhruva and had even delivered Präcénabarhi, who was engaged in fruitive activities. Nevertheless, he could not deliver Prajäpati Dakña. Prajäpati Dakña saw Närada before him because Närada had personally come to deliver him. Närada Muni took the opportunity to approach Prajäpati Dakña in his bereavement because the time of bereavement is a suitable time for appreciating bhakti-yoga.

………………………………………………………….

Actually, you probably are referring to "Paramahansa" or "Bhagavata" as most exalted titles.

But by my reckoning I am stating in my opinion [which is based on authorized translations of the Vedas] is that:

"There is no higher status in all the three planetary systems and no higher status in all the fourteen worlds than to be a bonefide Vaisnava Brahmacarya."

This is a statement of 'My Opinion' —I advise everyone to feel rest-assured that I am to be trusted with such advise. I trust that you understand perfectly what I am attempting to relate to you.

..................................................................................................................................................................

B)-- Before enlightenment 'Chop wood and carry water' for oneselfafter enlightenment 'Chop wood and carry water' for God, the entire scenario changes.

Well said. What does it mean? Or what do you think you're trying to say?

I understand your prose, but I do not find the your point to be definitive nor universal nor scriptually backed-up. [The saying is a classic Buddhist aphorism for and by monks (or is it Lao Tsu?)]

..........................................................................................................................................................................

C)-- PS: My dear sir,

The intensity of love for God does not depend on the external paraphernalia of the Devotee but on Love itself

"There is no love in the material world--only give and take"

(as stated by Sastra & A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami)

Love itself is a "fairy-tale-myth" --there is 'dharma' and 'more dharma' --if you can perform your own dharma then such actions can be poetically called out as "LOVE".

Otherwise, it is only miserly self-interest.

ie: The King loved his people so much--but the people hated him because he taxed the people and yet he never did a darn thing other that speak of how he loved his tax payer citizens.

So, the people said, "Show us the love don't just tell us about it."

....................................................................................................................

Bhaktajan

I am a 37 aged man... married...after completion of my 40 years. i would like to take sanyasa .... where to contact... any online guruji sevas available... please let me know .

Is your wife okay with it? I think you should also take her view into consideration (if you haven't already) since if you take sanyasa, you'll become dead to the world, and she'll basically become a spiritual widow. But, of course, in the end the decision is really between you and God.

I am a 37 aged man... married...after completion of my 40 years. i would like to take sanyasa .... where to contact... any online guruji sevas available... please let me know .

Mahashay, Sanyasa is nothing that is given nor something to take. It happens with Vyragya. If you are a viraagi, only then Sanyasa is possible, but since you have plans after completion of 40 years, it looks that there is just a desire to explore Sanyasa as you have explored your life till now. No. Not possible. Forget it. I found some of my friends also say that qualification is a must. It certainly is.

No line of demarcation should be drawn between spiritual and material life. Till you'll not find yourself at peace in any kind of situation, there is no scope for Renunciation.

There should be a line of demarcation or else in the quest to be spiritual, one will forget the responsibilities of the material life. Well, when one has already adopted what is best for him and got married, it wouldnt be sane to tell him to dump his wife and children and explore new situations which may give peace and that wouldnt be called sprituality. It would be better if he tries to maintain peace within the family which was his own choice at the first instance and yet be spiritual. He can take examples from Lahiri Mahashyay, the guru of Yukteshwar Giri who was inturn the guru of Parahamahans Yogananda. Lahiri Mahashyay was highly spiritual and yet carried the responsibilities of his family. There are many like a Purandara Dasa, Kanakadasa, Gora, and many more.

Who is ready? Make a decision, stick with it, and stay on The Path of self-realization. If you desire to know your true self and your pure relation to your surrounding before the demise of your body then you must do whatever is necessary to accomplish this. Death does not wait for us to be ready for it. Death waits for no one. If there is this type of sincerity to become self-realized then it matters not what you do. Your karma for causing discomfort to others due to your determination to the Path shall be burned. This has been promised. If the only thing left on your Path is for you to take sanyas and you are determined than you shall achieve it. Sanyas should be a step on the path you have undertaken. You should first have a clear goal and in as much as sanyas is part of that goal it should be done. However, the taking of sanyas should not be the goal in and of itself.

Sanyas is a strong decission and generally held as irrevocable under the indian law...

under the hindu system a sanyasi loses right to all his property and is deemed as dead to the world for all purposes.

There are rules to being a sanyasi as Indulekha dasi has already stated...

No worthy guru will accept a sanyasi if he leaves his family in a lurch and runs after sanyas...

your wife's conscience and unforced acceptance of your decission is a must...

and finally be sure what u seek to gain from sanyas... least u do not wake up 10 years hense and wonder if all your effort was in vain.

be ready to accept defeat in every goal for a sanyasi doesnt attach much value to anything other than the will of god.

there is also the alternative "Vairgya" of living within your family but abstaining from everything... good food, physical relationship, soft beds, etc etc... this path was in a way successfully followed by mahatma gandhi amongst many other spiritual sants like tukaram etc... brahmacharya, not eating spicy and tasty food, not wanting more than what is essential.

whatever ur decission... best of luck

... continuation

there is one story which my guru once told me... there was a saint and a prostitute in two houses opposite each other... the prostitute would do her business but every morning she would look opposite and admire the saint for his piousness. the saint would do piousness but every night he would wonder how a woman could do such filthy activity and how she should try and improve. both died and at the gates of heaven the lady was allowedin and the saint was refused entry... when the saint tried to complain he was told... "she was forced by fate to do such filthy acts yet she spent her time admiring a saint and his saintly activities. and fate gave u a chance to do saintly things and u wasted time thinking of the filthy acts of a prostitute..." when he realised what he had ended up dong the saint slung his head down in shame and walked down the path to accept his punishment without a word.

and then there is always the story of sati mahananda...

I admire the saint also, he accepted his fate knowing the Lord's decision is multi-branched in terms of benefit and he knows that he has been chosen for that purpose.

Yep, whatever it seems in appearance is not necessarily the same in substance.

The punishment is his Bhakti, the same fate that Bali Maharaj accepted even when defeated and arrested by Urukrama.

Being even minded in Victory and in defeat; that's the way.

I Want To Take Sanyas...............

Wat R The Criteria To Take So................

Its An Urgent Request To Reply On Same.........

M To Frustrated In My Life And By Lots Of Afford I Had Taken So Desicion....

Plz Reply Me For Same.

The only criteria are sincerity and dedication. If you have the two of these you will succeed in your endeavors.

Make your goal urgent and you will achieve it.

Guest satheesha

I wanted to take sanyasathwa as at present I am 23

I am a smartha bramhana brahmachari ...