IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

God Particle Soon Be Found

Rate this topic

Means that within the European particle physics laboratory accelerator they will smash beams of protons against one another at 0.999997828 times the speed of light and voila, this will generate the "God particle".

From The Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article3701645.ece

<!-- this will be populated from CMS --><!-- BEGIN: Module - Advert:Top --><!-- END: Module - Advert:Top -->

April 8, 2008

At 78, scientist hopes for proof soon that he was right about the Universe

<!-- END: Module - Main Heading -->

<!--CMA user Call Diffrenet Variation Of Image --><!-- BEGIN: M24 Article Headline with landscape image (d) --><!--Don't Display undifined test for credit -->professor-385_313782a.jpg

<!-- Remove following <div> to not show photographer information --><!-- Remove following <div> to not show image description --><!-- Remove following <div> to not show enlarge option --><!---->

<!-- Print Author name associated with the article --><!-- Print Author name from By Line associated with the article --> Mark Henderson, Science Editor

<!-- END: Module - M24 Article Headline with landscape image (d) --><!-- Article Copy module --><!-- BEGIN: Module - Main Article --><!-- Check the Article Type and display accordingly--><!-- Print Author image associated with the Author--><!-- Print the body of the article--><!-- Pagination --> The 40-year hunt for the holy grail of physics – the elusive “God particle” that is supposed to give matter its mass – is almost over, according to the leading scientist who first came up with the theory.

Peter Higgs, whose work gave his name to the elusive Higgs boson particle, said that he was more than 90 per cent certain it would be found within the next few years.

The Higgs boson was the professor’s elegant 1964 solution to one of the great problems with the standard model of physics – how matter has mass and thus exists in a form that allows it to make stars, planets and people. He proposed that the universe is pervaded by an invisible field of bosons that consist of mass but little else.

As particles move through this field, bosons effectively stick to some of them, making them more massive, while leaving others to pass unhindered. Photons, light particles that have no mass, are not affected by the Higgs field at all.

<!--#include file="m63-article-related-attachements.html"--> The mysterious boson postulated by Professor Higgs, of the University of Edinburgh, has become so fundamental to physics that it is often nicknamed the “God particle”. After more than 40 years of research, and billions of pounds, scientists have yet to prove that it is real. But Professor Higgs, 78, now believes the search is nearly over.

A new atom-smasher that will be switched on near Geneva later this year is virtually guaranteed to find it, he said. It is even possible that the critical evidence already exists, in data from an American experiment in Illinois that has yet to be analysed fully.

Speaking after visiting Cern, the European particle physics laboratory that has built the £2.6 billion Large Hadron Collider (LHC) to find the Higgs boson, he praised the collaborative work behind the project, adding that such future work could be jeopardised by a funding crisis surrounding particle physics in Britain. The government agency responsible is being told to make £70 million in cuts, forcing Britain to withdraw from a project to build the successor to he LHC.

“It looks like a major disaster in the funding of this kind of physics in the UK,” said Professor Higgs. “You are letting down your international partners, and what happens after that sort of thing is they don’t trust you any more. That’s even worse than the impact on the domestic users of this machine.”

Tantalising glimpses of the boson from other, less powerful particle accelerators, have suggested that unequivocal evidence should emerge almost immediately when the LHC begins its experiments.

The Higgs boson is hard to detect because it is hypothesised to exist only at very high energies, which last existed in nature in the moments after the Big Bang, hence the need for an atom smasher.

The LHC will fire beams of protons around a 17-mile underground tunnel before these collide at close to the speed of light to release vast bursts of energy. Four vast caverns hold sophisticated detectors that will track the particles produced by the collisions. The largest, named Atlas, is buried in a space big enough to enclose the nave of Westminster Abbey.

More than 70,000 people, including Professor Higgs, attended two open days at Cern at the weekend to see the LHC before its tunnels and experiment caverns are sealed. Professor Higgs last visited in 1987, before the LHC’s predecessor had even been built.

If the LHC is successful, all that might then stand between him and a Nobel prize will be the mammoth task of interpreting the reams of data the collider will produce - which would fill a stack of compact discs 40 miles (65km) high every year.

If all goes well, he hopes he will be celebrating by the time he turns 80 in May 2009.

“My prejudice would certainly be, on the basis of the evidence we already have, that it’s not far off,” said the professor. “But there’s a lot of analysis of the data to be done before you make the announcement that you have found it. That’s what will take the time.”

11ty3ck.jpg

If he turns out to be right, “I will certainly open a bottle of something”, he said. If the boson is not found, however, “I should be very, very puzzled. If it’s not there, I no longer understand what I think I understand.”

In the early 1990s, William Waldegrave, then the Science Minister, staged a competition for the best explanation of the mechanism on a single side of paper.

The winning analogy was of Margaret Thatcher – a massive particle – wandering through a Conservative cocktail party and gathering hangers-on as she moved about.

Smashing atoms

— The European particle physics laboratory’s accelerator will smash beams of protons against one another at 0.999997828 times the speed of light. It is housed in a tunnel 17 miles long, about the same length as the London Underground’s Circle Line

— When the tunnel was cut, the ends met with only 1cm of error

— Each proton will go around the tunnel 11,245 times a second

— The proton beam will carry the equivalent energy of an aircraft carrier sailing at 11 knots

— The superconducting cables used to power the LHC would stretch around the Equator 6.8 times. All the filaments would stretch to the Sun and back five times, plus a few trips to the Moon

— The cooling apparatus could keep 140,000 fridges full of sausages at a temperature a little above absolute zero

— The beam pipes contain a vacuum similar to that found in space.

— Engineers look for leaks so small that they would cause a car tyre to go flat in 10,000 years

Source: Cern

My own path started in physics.

They cannot find the God particle. No physical instrument will ever reveal it. It's not of this world.

But they will find plenty to keep their little scientist minds happy until they reach a point in their own spiritual evolution where they can see the God particle themselves.

x

My own path started in physics.

They cannot find the God particle. No physical instrument will ever reveal it. It's not of this world.

But they will find plenty to keep their little scientist minds happy until they reach a point in their own spiritual evolution where they can see the God particle themselves.

x

The experiment goes like to simulate the situation before this universe was created and protons were shooting around at the speed of light or even faster. That's what they believe wasthe situation before the universe came into being. It is by far the most expensive experiment ever done and about 10,000 scientist are working on it. Could be that they find out one thing, if they can't find the God particle what you say, they find out that this cosmic creation is so complex that it can mathematically be proven that such a universe cannot evolve by chance or accident. In other words, that there must be an intelligent creator behind the whole creation. This discovery would be at least a beginning in the right direction.

The thing is the self (jivatma) is the God particle and the Superself (Paramatma) is the God whole.

They would be wise to lay aside their electron microscopes for a while and take up introspection to find themselves, the real God particles.

Damn, why won't God stand still for a minute?

E=MC*(variable eternal change)

No wonder there is a food shortage on this planet!

Us humans must be the dumbest race in the universe.

Quite frankly, if Vishnu happened to turn up on my doorstep in human form I would feel like such a fool....:pray: Sorry Boss, we tried to warn them!;)

Tabhyon rays? STAR TREK. Amazing I never even thought about mass. Oh i get it, the mass of the spirit soul and supersoul. Anyone know how much the spirit soul weighs?

Duncan MacDougall claimed in 1907 it weighs approximately 21 grams.

E=MC2 dictates the movement of matter creates energy.

The same physics keep our mammalian bodies warm.

I remember reading something about this in "Kundalini Tantra", by Swami Satyananda Sarasvati. Have misplaced my copy, so can't quote from it at this point in time.

Raja Yoga states, "The Soul is not the Body", so the matter in our bodies exists in a different dimension from the soul.

The matter our bodies are constructed from comes primarily from our Mother. She is the matter master.

This infers, in my opinion, the soul exists in Shiva's domain where matter doesn't matter. Therefore, I would assume there is no matter, in a soul.

It weighs no thing!

Centifugal(expansion)...Causal...Consciousness,Supersoul & soul...male aspect(Vishnu)

Centripetal(contraction)...Material...Nebula,Galaxy & Sun...female aspect(Sarasvati)

Brahma=Expansion=Creation(conscious intension(context))

Sarasvati=Diversity=Matter&energy(content in space)

Vishnu=Consciousness=Supersoul&soul(Astral)

Excuse me if I am incorrect. Just my opinion.

I lean toward Bihar reverence of Sarasvati in this world.

It will be wrong to say that soul has mass. It will be wrong to say that sould does not have mass. Rather, we should say that the concept of mass has no significance for soul.

Let us first see what mass is. Mass is measure of inertia. When an external force is applied on an object, then that object resists the effect of the force. This resistance is called as inertia. Mass is a measure of this inertia.

Can we apply force on soul?

There was an experiment done in the the early 1900's and perhaps this is what Taipon was referring to here,

Duncan MacDougall claimed in 1907 it weighs approximately 21 grams.

I remember it as 28 grams but that is irrelevant. This investigator rigged up a dying man to a scale and at the exact moment of death the body suddenly lost 21 or 28 grams. The thing is he didn't take into consideration any weight that may be from subtle material forces. What exactly that would be I can't say but it is a factor that must be included in any calculation.

It would be a mistake to think that the soul is subject to such measurements.

It will be wrong to say that soul has mass. It will be wrong to say that sould does not have mass. Rather, we should say that the concept of mass has no significance for soul.

Let us first see what mass is. Mass is measure of inertia. When an external force is applied on an object, then that object resists the effect of the force. This resistance is called as inertia. Mass is a measure of this inertia.

Can we apply force on soul?

Bg. 2.23 - The soul can never be cut to pieces by any weapon, nor burned by fire, nor moistened by water, nor withered by the wind.

Bg. 2.24 - This individual soul is unbreakable and insoluble, and can be neither burned nor dried. He is everlasting, present everywhere, unchangeable, immovable and eternally the same.

In this way we can also say the soul also cannot be measured or weighed.

We read in the vedas that the soul is 1/10,000 the size of the tip of a hair. But that is just to give an indication of inconceivable smallness. Nowdays in nano technology that may not be considered so small. So we can point to the smallest nano unit and say it is 1/10,000th the size of that.

That is from one angle. But there is oneness with the unlimited Lord as well as difference so from the angle of oneness the soul can be seen as immensely huge as well and not measureable from the perspective.

Ultimately the correct way to speak of the jivatma has to be in relationship to the Paramatma. no matter how big we may be in relation to the material universes we are always inconceiveablt minute compared to Krishna

But then again :) Krsna is also smaller than the smallest (jivatma). Absolute relativity again. Our minds can never fully emcompass or capture Krsna, just ask Mother Yashoda.