IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

Democracy Bad for Krishna Consciousness

Rate this topic

The Hare Krishna Cultural Journal suggests that democracy is bad for spiritual life and reinforces a materialistic consciousness. Any suggestions?

Submitted by krishna-kirti on Wed, 04/02/2008 - 15:51.

Francis Fukuyama, one of today's foremost political scientists, suggests that democracy as a political system reinforces a materialistic consciousness:

Democratic societies, dedicated to the opposite proposition, tend to promote a belief in the equality of all lifestyles and values. They do not tell their citizens how they should live, or what will make them happy, virtuous, or great. Instead, they cultivate the virtue of toleration, which becomes the
chief
virtue in democratic societies. And if men are unable to affirm that any particular way of life is superior to another, then they will fall back on the affirmation of life itself, that is, they body, its needs, and fears. While not all souls may be equally virtuous or talented, all bodies can suffer; hence democratic societies will tend to be compassionate and raise to the first order of concern the question of preventing the body from suffering. It is not an accident that people in democratic societies are preoccupied with material gain and live in an economic world devoted to the satisfaction of the myriad small needs of the body.

The End of History and the Last Man
, 1992 (New York: Perennial Edition, 2002) 305.

This is why as a society, we should not only resist the tendency for democratization, but we should actively oppose it in theory and in practice. We should not be indifferent to it.

Ancient India had a monarchy.

Things worked well that way, as long as a pious king was ruling. When a pious king would rule, there would be no shortage of anything nor was there any argumentation amongst citizens. But alas! It is Kali yuga and things won't work that way any longer.

Ancient India had a monarchy.

Things worked well that way, as long as a pious king was ruling. When a pious king would rule, there would be no shortage of anything nor was there any argumentation amongst citizens. But alas! It is Kali yuga and things won't work that way any longer.

Which means, considering circumstances, democracy is the best we've got in the kali yuga.

Which means, considering circumstances, democracy is the best we've got in the kali yuga.

I also have to go along with that. Monarchs in Kali yuga would be way too power hungry. Presidents are so power hungry, so what to speak of monarchs.

by... This is why as a society, we should not only resist the tendency for democratization, but we should actively oppose it in theory and in practice.

Wow... a "vaishnav HITLER"... Kamsa mama would most certainly have loved this guy...

Democracy bad. Monarchy good.

So who is to decide who the monarch should be?

The Islamic Caliphate?

The Pope?

Bob Enyart?

George W. Bush?

Who?

And who decides who the Decider should be?

No simplistic answers, please.

Think before you speak. Think before you write.

It took a WAR to decide that Yudhisthira would be the King.

:cool:

Democracy bad. Monarchy good.

So who is to decide who the monarch should be?

The Islamic Caliphate?

The Pope?

Bob Enyart?

George W. Bush?

Who?

And who decides who the Decider should be?

No simplistic answers, please.

Think before you speak. Think before you write.

It took a WAR to decide that Yudhisthira would be the King.

:cool:

Thanks for asking this question and adding, "Think before you speak. Think before you write".

Well it makes me think before I write how the Vaishnavas created so much chaos.

In fact we have to even consider that if all this confusion about proper leadership within the Vaishnava institutions did not also influence the whole planet's ongoing development towards the final destiny of hellish kali-yuga? The Vaishnava institutions to be complicit of globally getting out of hand kali-yuga? This is it what concerned people are asking.

Just like where did they arrive today - installing a questionable system of absolutism by expecting of the followers to worship a direct representative of God, but adding small print, since 35 of these kind already fell down, the responsibility if your guru is trustworthy lies on you. No guarantee.

In sum, Vaishnavas should first of all master their own inside run-down homework of properly uniting all these splinter camps - camps which are in itself far too small and too weak to implement Lord Caitanya's order of successfully spreading the Holy Name on all the continents and are basically presently struggling with internal maintenance, what to speak of imparting real knowledge on vedic wisdom in human society large scale.

And then come back and believably discuss, "So who is to decide who the monarch should be?"

The Hare Krishna Cultural Journal suggests that democracy is bad for spiritual life and reinforces a materialistic consciousness. Any suggestions?

Submitted by krishna-kirti on Wed, 04/02/2008 - 15:51.

Francis Fukuyama, one of today's foremost political scientists, suggests that democracy as a political system reinforces a materialistic consciousness:

Democratic societies, dedicated to the opposite proposition, tend to promote a belief in the equality of all lifestyles and values. They do not tell their citizens how they should live, or what will make them happy, virtuous, or great. Instead, they cultivate the virtue of toleration, which becomes the
chief
virtue in democratic societies. And if men are unable to affirm that any particular way of life is superior to another, then they will fall back on the affirmation of life itself, that is, they body, its needs, and fears. While not all souls may be equally virtuous or talented, all bodies can suffer; hence democratic societies will tend to be compassionate and raise to the first order of concern the question of preventing the body from suffering. It is not an accident that people in democratic societies are preoccupied with material gain and live in an economic world devoted to the satisfaction of the myriad small needs of the body.

The End of History and the Last Man
, 1992 (New York: Perennial Edition, 2002) 305.

This is why as a society, we should not only resist the tendency for democratization, but we should actively oppose it in theory and in practice. We should not be indifferent to it.

Oh yes, a monarchy controlled by people who might be opposed to Krishna Consciousness and make a law against it would be so much better than a society where the people are given a say as to what they want to do with their lives.

That said, I'm more of a communist idealist myself. I think people should have to share what they get. Unfortunately, people are very greedy and the leaders who try to enforce it are often times hypocritical and power-hungry. :( Not to mention so many of them are anti-religion.

If Krishna wants to clean the dust on the mirror of your mind even if you are staying in the House of Hitler; I don't know who can stop Him.

There is a famous saying at my place, if a student wants to learn seriously, he can acquire knowledge even if his classroom is in a sugarcane field.

The only criteria to dissipate darkness is Sincerity in your search for spiritual realisation. After knowing the unknown, you'll even find Hell and Heaven alike.

If Krishna wants to clean the dust on the mirror of your mind even if you are staying in the House of Hitler; I don't know who can stop Him.

Makes me think of Savitri Devi (blech!). Her disgusting blend of Nazism and Vaishnavism (she said that Hitler was Lord Kalki) makes me want to throw up. :puke:

Makes me think of Savitri Devi (blech!). Her disgusting blend of Nazism and Vaishnavism (she said that Hitler was Lord Kalki) makes me want to throw up. :puke:

Lord Kalki's action is this?:

:kick:

I don't think so!

Kalki doesn't come to Kali yuga to kill innocent people.

Lord Kalki's action is this?:

:kick:

I don't think so!

Kalki doesn't come to Kali yuga to kill innocent people.

She was totally insane. She was married to an Indian man, yet she supported the massacre of the Roma people (the closest relatives to South Asians in Europe). You can read about her here: tp://www.savitridevi.org/ It includes some of her psychotic literature (I can't even believe there are still people who follow her ludicrous ideas).