IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
CCC

Important Books for Spiritual Advancement

Rate this topic

Hare Krsna Devotees all glories to Srila Prabhupada!

Many days ago I found a Book Called Sri Brihad Bagavatamrita I am finishing it and is really an amazing book, wonderful. I made this post just to share which books have been important in your spiritual advancement.

In five years in Krsna Conciousness I didin't know nothing about this wonderful book and I know that I am missing a lot of nectar in other books, so I will make a list of the books that cause me big excitement in my heart and I hope that you make the same for reading them:

Ok, let's go with the List:

-Life Comes from Life

-Bhagavad-Gita

-Srimad Bhagavatam

-Sri Caitanya Caritamrita

-Sri Caitanya Bhagavata

-The Nectar of Devotion

-Uddhava Gita

-Sri Brihad Bhagavatamrita

Books Added To List:

-Brahma Samhita (GHari)

Hare Krsna!

*Note: There is a Sri Brihad Bhagavatamrita of three big volumes, is this with the commentaries of Srila Sanatana Goswami or by the translator?

If I were a blind man, what would you recommend then?

The ability to tread a spiritual path has nothing to do books.

Use them for training wheels, but know when to let them go.

x

If I were a blind man, what would you recommend then?

The ability to tread a spiritual path has nothing to do books.

Use them for training wheels, but know when to let them go.

x

Sorry but that discurse will not work for me and for many of us that take pleasure reading trascendental books about the Supreme Lord, so please don't pollute this thread with you opinion if books are good or not, this is not the line of the topic and I dont' want that devotees start to discuss this with you, if you want open a new thread, not here.

Hari Bol

I especially get excited reading the praise Lord Brahma offers in his Brahma-Samhita. "Govindam, Adi-puruSaM, tam ahaM bhajAmi".

<center>IzvaraH paramaH kRSNaH

sac-cid-Ananda-vigrahaH

anAdir Adir govindaH

sarva-kAraNa-kAraNam</center>

I feel so overwhelmed with all the material I need to read. I'm only on the first canto of the Bhagavatam and I've got so much more to read!

It's good though hehe.

I'll get there slowly but surely (hopefully), so long as I organize how I spend my time in the days correctly.

I thought you said that no books are required ;)

The Path of the Masters, by Dr. Julian Johnson.

Autobiography of a Yogi, by Swami Yogananda.

The Mustard Seed, by Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh.

x

I feel so overwhelmed with all the material I need to read. I'm only on the first canto of the Bhagavatam and I've got so much more to read!

It's good though hehe.

I'll get there slowly but surely (hopefully), so long as I organize how I spend my time in the days correctly.

No rush time wise. We are eternal. We are just at the very beginning stages of attempting to enter into the eternal hearing of Sri Krsna's pastimes...and there is no conclusion.

The future is very very bright as long as we get and remain fixed in hearing about Krsna from the proper soures.

I thought you said that no books are required ;)

They're not required.

Its not to say they won't provide some lubrication for learning and conditioning of the mind.

You have to remember that there were spiritual paths long before there was reading and writing.

Consider books a modern luxury. Just don't allow them to become a modern trap.

x

As you mentioned in the earlier era the memory and spiritual consciousness was so much that the books were not required.

In this era, people have to use books etc. as memory is very bad.

Hare Krishna!

They're not required.

Its not to say they won't provide some lubrication for learning and conditioning of the mind.

You have to remember that there were spiritual paths long before there was reading and writing.

x

They're not required.

x

So your understanding about spirituality is based on what?? Who/what is your teacher that gave you an understanding about the world and spirituall matters??

What books mould "lubricated/conditioned" your mind?

What irony, you who proclaim books to be traps - it seems you have just become trapped.:confused:

Or can you say that you have not been trapped?

Your conclusions seems to be moulded in the advaitan theory of "one-ness"

Hare Krsna/Krishna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

What was once knowledge stored in the brain is now nectar stored in the heart. The heart sees in a way the brain cannot. It never tires at looking at what it sees. The human part of me makes a humble effort to describe what it sees.

When the heart becomes open and it is able to "see", books close.

I make no claims of being able to see with complete clarity, but what I do see is beyond my ability to put into words. Another reason books close.

Words only have so much worth. It is direct experience that teaches you the things that cannot be written.

It is direct knowing based upon your ability to see with the heart. It illuminates all that it focuses on. And it reveals details and depth that the physical eyes cannot.

What book can do this?

x