IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Tirisilex

Thinking of Krishna?

Rate this topic

I'm not sure how exactly how to apply this in my life. To use for example doing the dishes.. Do I think to myself.. 'I am doing the dishes for Krishna." and then do the dishes. Or do I repeat to myself silently "I'm doing the dishes for Krishna." as I do the dishes? Or do Involve my mind more into it? It just seems like repeating that Im doing them for him doesnt quite capture him.. It's just vain repititions. any advice?

How do you see Krishna?

Separate from, or a part of?

As long as you have a veil between you and the godhead, you must use the chain of command that religions give you to approach the divine.

But if the veil falls away, so does the chain of command.

Suddenly, you're eyeball to eyeball with Krishna. Now what?

Remain apart, or jump into the sea where all rivers merge?

x

Before a bhakti practioner does anything upon arising in the morning then offer their repsectful obeisances to their guru, spiritual master, and then the guru parampara or line of disciplic succession. If you don't yet have a guru and you are reading the books of a bonafide guru and receiving inspiration then you can offer pranama mantras to that guru which are usually in the book itself. Then they offer respectful obeisances to the pancha tattva mantra:

jaya sri-krishna-chaitanya

prabhu nityananda

sri-adwaita gadadhara

shrivasadi-gaura-bhakta-vrinda

TRANSLATION

I offer my respectful obeisances unto Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, Lord Nityananda, Sri Advaita, Gadadhara Pandit, Srivas Thakur, and all the devotees of Lord Caitanya.

[i think that this topic is appropriate because today or tomorrow is the advent day of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu depending on what part of the world you live in.]

PURPORT by Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu is always accompanied by His plenary expansion Sri Nityananda Prabhu, His incarnation Sri Advaita Prabhu, His internal potency Sri Gadadhara Prabhu, and His marginal potency Srivasa Prabhu. He is in the midst of them as the Supreme Personality of Godhead. One should know that Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu is always accompanied by these other tattvas. Therefore our obeisances to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu are complete when we say, sri-krishna-chaitanya prabhu nityananda sri-adwaita gadadhara shrivasadi-gaura-bhakta-vrinda. As preachers of the Krsna consciousness movement, we first offer our obeisances to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu by chanting this Panca-tattva mantra; then we say, Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. There are ten offenses in the chanting of the Hare Krsna maha-mantra, but these are not considered in the chanting of the Païca-tattva mantra, namely, sri-krishna-chaitanya prabhu nityananda sri-adwaita gadadhara shrivasadi-gaura-bhakta-vrinda. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu is known as maha-vadabtavatara, the most magnanimous incarnation, for He does not consider the offenses of the fallen souls. Thus to derive the full benefit of the chanting of the maha-mantra (Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare), we must first take shelter of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, learn the Panca-tattva mantra, and then chant the Hare Krsna maha-mantra. That will be very effective.

I'm not sure how exactly how to apply this in my life. To use for example doing the dishes.. Do I think to myself.. 'I am doing the dishes for Krishna." and then do the dishes. Or do I repeat to myself silently "I'm doing the dishes for Krishna." as I do the dishes?

Well, the first question is... are you actually doing the dishes for Krsna? Are you referring to a situation where you are at the Temple and washing Krsna's personal dishes after He's eaten? Or washing pots that were used to prepare an offering for Him? Or are you talking about just being at home and washing your own dishes after your own personal meals?

Or do Involve my mind more into it? It just seems like repeating that Im doing them for him doesnt quite capture him.. It's just vain repititions. any advice?

If you're not actually washing Krsna's dishes, then yes, it is a vain repetition. And even if you are, it's not necessary to repeat to yourself "I am doing Krsna's dishes" over and over. Maybe remind yourself a couple of times that you are rendering some service to Krsna. Other than that, the repetition that is recommended would be to chant the holy names of Krsna. Or perhaps play a kirtan tape with Srila Prabhupada chanting and meditate on the sound vibration while performing your service (or household chores, whatever the case may be.)

Dear Tirisilix,

I am a long time devout Hare Krishna, and yet, I do not know any thing about "Krishna", but I do know about Krishna's devotees.

It is unto these devotees of devotees that we can see God's magnaminity & munificense ---and, that we especially, can reciprocate with them. [i am not speaking of advanced maha-bhagavatas but I am referring to congregation members who we have befriended].

yours in krishna's Service,

Bhaktajan

all persons have a different way of loving the Lord. I agree with tirisilex in that it may be repetative if you are "forcing" yourself to love god.

To me krishna devotion is doing things to increase you love for him...like chanting or turing on a bhajan cd. At times when preparing food in the kitchen my family likes to turn on katha tapes and watch Shrimad bhagwat katha while cooking.

So many ways you can think of Krishna but only do so to increase your love. He had given us the freedom to love him as we choose and think of him as we choose.

we are not perfected devotees so we have to relate our spiritual growth to what we know of the surroundings. tv, internet, music, all can be related to Krishna...I listen to hindi songs on occasion and that doesn't make me a fallen soul but the word of the song I relate to krishna...thats how i love him.

so in conclusion, make you progression interesting and creative...Krishna is a lot of joy and doesn't have to be a chore.

Jai Shri Krishna

There are many kinds of Yoga because there are many types of people. If devotion comes naturally to you then Bhakti Yoga is a good choice. If service to others comes naturally, Karma Yoga. If study and thinking, Jnana Yoga. If you like to meditate, Raja Yoga. Usually people end up with their own combination of two or three approaches.

To walk a spiritual path, one needs a good pair of shoes in the beginning. Find something comfortable to your nature, but can still feel the road beneath.

Near the end of the path, you will arrive naked and barefoot, so don't form attachment to the shoes.

x

There are many kinds of Yoga because there are many types of people. If devotion comes naturally to you then Bhakti Yoga is a good choice. If service to others comes naturally, Karma Yoga. If study and thinking, Jnana Yoga. If you like to meditate, Raja Yoga. Usually people end up with their own combination of two or three approaches.

One interesting concept though is that bhakti or devotion exists within all the other yogas. For instance bhakti starts with sraddha which can be translated as faith. Yet why would one engage in say karma yoga if they did not have sraddha or faith that they could achieve their goal of God realization? And since bhakti means devotion or dedication it is obvious that in order to advance in any of the other yogas, one must proceed in a dedicated or devoted manner. Also in the Bhagavad Gita Krsna explains to Arjuna the astanga yoga system in Chapter Six but he concludes:

BG 6.47: And of all yogīs, the one with great faith who always abides in Me, thinks of Me within himself, and renders transcendental loving service to Me — he is the most intimately united with Me in yoga and is the highest of all. That is My opinion.

There is a difference between having faith that there is a goal and the devotion required in Bhakti Yoga. With that sort of devotion, the center of your life moves outside of yourself - such as making your life center around serving Krishna. It isn't something that works best for everyone.

There is a difference between having faith that there is a goal and the devotion required in Bhakti Yoga. With that sort of devotion, the center of your life moves outside of yourself - such as making your life center around serving Krishna. It isn't something that works best for everyone.

<table cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="98%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2">Srila Sridhar Maharaj

The Loving Search for the Lost Servant

Eternal Servants Of Krishna </td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> <td>What is the position of the fallen souls? In Sri Chaitanya Charitamrta, Srila Krishnadas Kaviraj records Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu instructing Sanatana Goswami:

jivera 'svarupa' haya -- krnera 'nitya-dasa'

krsnera 'tatastha-sakti' bhedabheda-prakasa

krsna bhuli sei jiva anadi-bahirmukha

ataeva maya tare deya samsara dukha

"The constitutional nature of the jiva soul is that of an eternal servant of Krishna; the jiva soul is a manifestation of divinity which is one with Krishna and different from Him. The jiva souls are the marginal potency of the Lord. Though in reality they are servants of Krishna, from time immemorial, they have been engaged in misconception, as exploiting agents." In order to deliver His lost servants, the Lord comes now and then to take them up to His own home.</td></tr></tbody></table>

It is good that devotion to Krishna is working for you now. It is nice that I can be aware of having this option, but this is not the best choice for me at this time. It would be foolish of me to reject the tools that would work best in my condition at this time just because something else is working for you.

It would be nice if you would talk more and quote at me less.

It is good that devotion to Krishna is working for you now. It is nice that I can be aware of having this option, but this is not the best choice for me at this time. It would be foolish of me to reject the tools that would work best in my condition at this time just because something else is working for you.

It would be nice if you would talk more and quote at me less.

I don't think the issue is what works for someone now, but whether or not the souls who appear in this world are the eternal servants of Krsna. In the introduction to the Bhagavad Gita as It Is, Srila Prabhupada writes that even if one doesn't believe these things at first, then one should try to accept it at least theoretically. For instance if I am studying Communism, if I accept at least theoretically that the capitalist class is exploiting the working class then I can understand more advanced concepts of Communist or Marxist-Leninist philosophers. If I don't understand it theoretically the more advanced concepts will just sound like nonsense.

Maybe I think that the point of capitalism is that no one exploits anyone. In communism, you get to envy the people who have more than you and you get to fear that what you have will be taken away to be given to those who have less than you. I read "We The Living" by Ayn Rand.

Let's say Krishna isn't real to me at this time, but I still want to have a more meaningful existence than just a daily routine. In my own way I still serve.

Maybe I think that the point of capitalism is that no one exploits anyone.

Srila Sridhar Maharaj refers to the material world as, "the land (or plane) of exploitation." It's where every living entity survives by eating the body of another living entity, jivo jivasya jivanam.

It says to have your mind to be fixed on Krishna. Using Buddhist mindfullness in fixating that Krishna is everywhere and in everyone.. Then everything I do is for Krishna because I see him in everything. Does that sound right?

It says to have your mind to be fixed on Krishna. Using Buddhist mindfullness in fixating that Krishna is everywhere and in everyone.. Then everything I do is for Krishna because I see him in everything. Does that sound right?

The "mindfulness" you are referring to is the very definition of "Samadhi"--to help you see "Krishna is everywhere and in everyone", I included below a brief medley of verses below:

.....................................................................................

Sri Krishna’s “Aham(s)” from the Bhagavad-gita:

Bhagavan uvacha:

7.6—Of all that is material and all that is spiritual in this world, know for certain that I am both the origin and the dissolution.

7.7—There is no truth superior to Me. Everything rests upon Me, as pearls are strung on a thread.

7.8—I am the taste of water, the light of the sun and the moon, the syllable <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:place w:st=Om</st1:place> in the Vedic mantras; I am the sound in ether and Ability in man.

7.9—I am the original fragrance of the earth and I am the heat in fire. I am the life of all that lives,and I am the penances of all ascetics.

7.10—Know that I am the original seed of all existences, the intelligence of the intelligent, and the prowess of all powerful men.

7.11—I am the strength of the strong, devoid of passion and desire. I am sex life which is not contrary to religious principles.

7.12—Know that all states of being--be they of goodness, passion or ignorance--are manifested by My energy. I am, in one sense, everything, but I am independent. I am not under the modes of material nature, for they, on the contrary, are within Me.

7.13—Deluded by the three modes [goodness, passion and ignorance], the whole world does not know Me, who am above the modes and inexhaustible.

7.14—This divine energy of Mine, consisting of the three modes of material nature, is difficult to overcome. But those who have surrendered unto Me can easily cross beyond it.

7.15—Those miscreants who are grossly foolish, who are lowest among mankind, whose knowledge is stolen by illusion, and who partake of the atheistic nature of demons do not surrender unto Me.

7.16-17—Four kinds of pious men begin to render devotional service unto Me--the distressed, the desirer of wealth, the inquisitive, and he who is searching for knowledge of the Absolute. Of these, the one who is in full knowledge and who is always engaged in pure devotional service is the best. For I am very dear to him, and he is dear to Me.

7.18-19—All these devotees are undoubtedly magnanimous souls, but he who is situated in knowledge of Me I consider to be just like My own self. Being engaged in My transcendental service, he is sure to attain Me, the highest and most perfect goal. After many births and deaths, he who is actually in knowledge surrenders unto Me, knowing Me to be the cause of all causes and all that is. Such a great soul is very rare.

7.21-22—I am in everyone's heart as the Supersoul. As soon as one

desires to worship some demigod, I make his faith steady so that he can devote himself to that particular deity. Endowed with such a faith, he endeavors to worship a particular demigod and obtains his desires. But in actuality these benefits are bestowed by Me alone.

7.23—Men of small intelligence worship the demigods, and their fruits are limited and temporary. Those who worship the demigods go to the planets of the demigods, but My devotees ultimately reach My supreme planet.

7.24-25—Unintelligent men, who do not know Me perfectly, think that I, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna, was impersonal before and have now assumed this personality. Due to their small knowledge, they do not know My higher nature, which is imperishable and supreme. I am never manifest to the foolish and unintelligent. For them I am covered by My internal potency, and therefore they do not know that I am unborn and infallible.

7.26—As the Supreme Personality of Godhead, I know everything that has happened in the past, all that is happening in the present, and all things that are yet to come. I also know all living entities; but Me no one knows.

7.30—Those in full consciousness of Me, who know Me, the Supreme Lord, to be the governing principle of the material manifestation, of the demigods, and of all methods of sacrifice, can understand and know Me, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, even at the time of death.

8.4-5—The physical nature, which is constantly changing, is called

adhibhuta [the material manifestation]. The universal form of the Lord, which includes all the demigods, like those of the sun and moon, is called adhidaiva. And I, the Supreme Lord, represented as the Supersoul in the heart of every embodied being, am called adhiyajna [the Lord of sacrifice]. And whoever, at the end of his life, quits his body, remembering Me alone, at once attains My nature. Of this there is no doubt.

9.4—By Me, in My unmanifested form, this entire universe is pervaded. All beings are in Me, but I am not in them.

9.5—And yet everything that is created does not rest in Me. Behold My Mystic opulence! Although I am the maintainer of all living entities. I am everywhere. I am not part of this cosmic manifestation. My ‘Self’ is the very source of creation.

9.6-11—Understand that as the mighty wind, blowing everywhere, rests always in the sky, all created beings rest in Me. At the end of the

millennium all material manifestations enter into My nature, and at the beginning of another millennium, by My potency, I create them

again. The whole cosmic order is under Me. Under My will it is automatically manifested again and again, and under My will it is

annihilated at the end. All this work cannot bind Me. I am ever detached from all these material activities, seated as though neutral. This

material nature, which is one of My energies, is working under My direction, producing all moving and nonmoving beings. Under its rule

this manifestation is created and annihilated again and again. Fools deride Me when I descend in the human form. They do not know My

transcendental nature as the Supreme Lord of all that be.

9.16—I am the ritual. I am the sacrifice. I am the offering to the ancestors. I am the healing herb. I am the transcendental chant. I am the Butter and the Fire and the Offering.

9.17—I am the father of this universe. I am the mother. I am the support and the grandsire. I am the object of knowledge. I am the purifier and the syllable ‘<st1:place w:st="on">Om</st1:place>’. I am also the Rg, the Sama and the Yajur Vedas.

9.18—I am the goal. I am the sustainer. I am the master, the witness, the abode, the refuge, and the most dear friend. I am the creation and the annihilation. I am the basis of everything, the resting place and the eternal seed.

9.19—I give heat. I withhold and send forth the rain. I am immor-tality. I am also death personified. Both spirit and matter are in Me.

9.22—Those who always worship Me with exclusive devotion,

meditating on My transcendental form--to them I carry what they lack, and I preserve what they have.

9.24—I am the only enjoyer and master of all sacrifices.I am equal to all.

9.29—Whoever renders service unto Me in devotion is a friend, is in Me, and I am also a friend to him.

10.2—Neither the hosts of demigods nor the great sages know My origin or opulences, for, in every respect, I am the source of the demigods and sages.

10.4-5—Intelligence, knowledge, freedom from doubt and delusion, forgiveness, truthfulness, control of the senses, control of the mind, happiness and distress, birth, death, fear, fearlessness, nonviolence, equanimity, satisfaction, austerity, charity, fame and infamy--all these various qualities of living beings are created by Me alone.

10.6—The seven great sages and before them the four other great sages and the Manus [progenitors of mankind] come from Me, born from My mind, and all the living beings populating the various planets descend from them.

10.7—One who is factually convinced of this opulence and Mystic power of Mine engages in unalloyed devotional service; of this there is no doubt.

10.8—I am the source of all spiritual and material worlds. Everything emanates from Me.

10.9—The thoughts of My pure devotees dwell in Me, their lives are fully devoted to My service, and they derive great satisfaction and bliss from always enlightening one another and conversing about Me.

10.10—To those who are constantly devoted to serving Me with love, I give the understanding by which they can come to Me.

10.11—To show them special mercy, I, dwelling in their hearts, destroy with the shining lamp of knowledge the darkness born of ignorance.

10.19—My opulence is limitless.

10.20—I am the Supersoul seated in the hearts of all living entities. I am the beginning, the middle and the end of all beings.

10.21—Of the Adityas I am Visnu. Of lights I am the radiant sun. Of the Maruts I am Marici. Among the stars I am the moon.

10.22—Of the Vedas I am the Sama Veda. Of the demigods I am Indra, the king of heaven. Of the senses I am the mind. In living beings I am the living force [consciousness].

10.23—Of all the Rudras I am Lord Siva. Of the Yaksas and Raksasas I am the Lord of wealth [Kuvera]. Of the Vasus I am fire [Agni]. Of mountains I am Meru.

10.24—Of priests know Me to be the chief, Brhaspati. Of generals I am Kartikeya. Of bodies of water I am the ocean.

10.25—Of the great sages I am Bhrgu. Of vibrations I am the transcendental “<st1:place w:st="on">Om</st1:place>”. Of sacrifices I am the chanting of the holy names [japa]. Of immovable things I am the <st1:place w:st="on">Himalayas</st1:place>.

10.26—Of all trees I am the banyan tree. Of the sages among the demigods I am Narada. Of the Gandharvas I am Citraratha. Among perfected beings I am the sage Kapila.

10.27—Of horses know Me to be Uccaihsrava, produced during the churning of the ocean for nectar. Of lordly elephants I am

Airavata. Among men I am the monarch.

10.28—Of weapons I am the thunderbolt. Among cows I am the surabhi. Of causes for procreation I am Kandarpa, the god of love. Of serpents I am Vasuki.

10.29—Of the many-hooded Nagas I am Ananta. Among the aquatics I am the demigod Varuna. Of departed ancestors I am Aryama. Among the dispensers of law I am Yama, the lord of death.

10.30—Among the Daitya demons I am the devoted Prahlada. Among subduers I am time. Among beasts I am the lion. Among birds I am Garuda.

10.31—Of purifiers I am the wind. Of the wielders of weapons I am Rama. Of fishes I am the shark. Of flowing rivers I am the <st1:place w:st="on">Ganges</st1:place>.

10.32—Of all creations I am the beginning and the end and also the middle. Of all sciences I am the spiritual science of the self. Among logicians I am the conclusive truth.

10.33—Of letters I am the letter A. Among compound words I am the dual compound. I am also inexhaustible time. Of creators I am Brahma.

10.34—I am all-devouring death. I am the generating principle of all that is yet to be. Among women I am fame, fortune, fine speech, memory, intelligence, steadfastness and patience.

10.35—Of the hymns in the Sama Veda I am the Brhat-sama. Of poetry I am the Gayatri. Of months I am Margasirsa [November-December]. Of seasons I am flower-bearing spring.

10.36—I am also the gambling of cheats. Of the splendid I am the splendor. I am victory. I am adventure. I am the strength of the strong.

10.37—Of the descendants of Vrsni I am Vasudeva. Of the Pandavas I am Arjuna. Of the sages I am Vyasa. Among great thinkers I am Usana.

10.38—Among all means of suppressing lawlessness I am punishment. Of those who seek victory I am morality. Of secret things I am silence. Of the wise I am the wisdom.

10.39—I am the generating seed of all existences. There is no being--moving or non-moving--that can exist without Me.

10.40—There is no end to My divine manifestations.

10.41—Know that all opulent, beautiful and glorious creations spring from but a spark of My splendor.

10.42—With a single fragment of Myself I pervade and support this entire universe.

11.32—Time I am, the great destroyer of the worlds.

12.6-8—I am the swift deliverer from the ocean of birth and death. Just fix your mind upon Me, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and engage all your intelligence in Me. Thus you will live in Me always, without a doubt.

14.3-4—The total material substance, called Brahman, is the source of birth, and it is that Brahman that I impregnate, making possible the births of all living beings. It should be understood that all species of life are made possible by birth in this material nature, and that I am the seed-giving father.

14.27—I am the basis of the impersonal Brahman, which is immortal, imperishable and eternal and is the constitutional position of ultimate happiness.

15.12—The splendor of the sun, which dissipates the darkness of this whole world, comes from Me. And the splendor of the moon and the splendor of fire are also from Me.

15.13—I enter into each planet, and by My energy they stay in orbit. I become the moon and thereby supply the juice of life to all vegetables.

15.14—I am the fire of digestion in the bodies of all living entities, and I join with the air of life, outgoing and incoming, to digest the four kinds of foodstuff.

15.15—I am seated in everyone's heart, and from Me come remembrance, knowledge and forgetfulness. By all the Vedas, I am to be known. Indeed, I am the compiler of Vedanta, and I am the knower of the Vedas.

15.18—I am transcendental, beyond both the fallible and the infallible, and because I am the greatest, I am celebrated both in the world and in the Vedas as that Supreme Person.

15.19—Whoever knows Me as the Supreme Personality of Godhead, without doubting, is the knower of everything. He therefore engages himself in full devotional service to Me, O son of Bharata.

18.19—According to the three different modes of material nature, there are three kinds of knowledge, action and performer of action. Now hear of them from Me.

18.29—O winner of wealth, now please listen as I tell you in detail of the different kinds of understanding and determination, according to the three modes of material nature.

18.63—Thus I have explained to you knowledge still more Confidential. Deliberate on this fully, and then do what you wish to do.

18.64—I am speaking to you My supreme instruction, the most confidential knowledge of all.

......................................................................................................

ys,

Bhaktajan

"18.63—Thus I have explained to you knowledge still more Confidential. Deliberate on this fully, and then do what you wish to do."

Just one of many verses I love this one. Because Lord Krsna Does not force himself on us He says it so nicely Deliberate on this fully, and then do what you wish to do.":deal:

Hare Krsna/Krishna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada