IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Rishi_L

Our Five Fingers Correspond To The Five Material Elements

Rate this topic

I believe that our five fingers on both of our hands correspond to the pancha-bhuta (ie. five material elements). I am not certain of the exact order of which finger corresponds to which particular element, but I think that the order may be something like this: One's thumb represents akash, the subtlest of all the five material elements. Each of the remaining four materially grosser elements emerge from akash, just as one's remaining four fingers, in a sense, spring outward from one's thumb. The thumb holds objects, just as akash holds all of the other four materially grosser elements in their proper places. The next element in descending order of subtlety is vayu, which corresponds to the index finger. It is the finger most commonly used to point to different directions, which also reflects the often highly mobile nature of vayu. One's thoughts also move in many different directions, which corresponds to what is universally considered to be the predominantly mental/intellectual nature of air (vayu). The next element which is less subtle (and hence more gross) is agni, which corresponds to the middle finger. Fire is universally recognised as being symbolic of passion, lust and anger. So it is no surprise to me that in most modern Western cultures, the middle finger, when pointed upwards and at someone, is considered to be vulgar and an expression of one's anger or frustration. The next progressively grosser element is ap, which corresponds to the ring finger. The ring finger, as its name implies, is the finger on which wedding rings are traditionally worn. So it corresponds to the nature of ap (water), which is universally considered to be a predominantly emotional nature. The final material element (which is the grossest of the material elements) is prithvi, which corresponds to the little finger. I have not yet noticed any hints which would indicate to me how prithvi corresponds to the little finger. In any case, I definitely believe that the Lord has designed this and countless other universes in a SUPREMELY intelligent manner. He has manifested this universe is such a way that everything very nicely corresponds to everything else in an infinite web of interconnectedness. I also know a little bit about mudras, but not much. I am certain that each of our five fingers correspond to the five material elements of this universe. However, I'm not sure if I've matched the five material elements to their appropriate fingers. What do you think, have I made an error somewhere with this theory of mine?

I always find your post very interesting. A small piece of advice...Could you please break your post into paragraphs.

I hope you are not offended It is just so difficult on the eyes when confronted with a huge bunch of words.

Regarding the post very interesting when looking at the definitions of the fingers and the various mudras. I hope someone can give an interesting feedback.

2 more days to Gaura-Purnima.... can't wait because Ratha yatra festival is also held on the same day (Double the Mercy)

Jay Gauranga

Hare Krsna/Krishna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

A small piece of advice...Could you please break your post into paragraphs.

I hope you are not offended It is just so difficult on the eyes when confronted with a huge bunch of words.

I'm not offended at all, Yogesh Prabhu. I have a bad habit of often forgetting to break my posts into paragraphs, but I will try not to forget so often anymore. Oh, and thanks for your kind words. :)

i am almost certain you have akasha fire and water right, i know fire is right because i have a red dot underneath my middle fingers in the exact same spot and i have no idea where i got them, and water because almost all water stones are love too, and healing

I have often felt that within are all the elements, the Earth/ Body as it houses our spirit in matter, the lungs/Air, the Neuron's electrical impulses of our nervous system, and heart/fire, and the cerebral spinal fluid and blood being liquid in nature/waters, an I would feel the Ether may be the spiritual, just a thought. Thank you for sharing