IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sunds

What does God mean to you?

Rate this topic

What do you call God?
This is always such a hard question to answer, no matter how many times I've been asked (a fair bit surprisingly) my answer always seems to change to a certain extent. To me God is a being of a personal nature, and various personal qualities, though he certainly isn't a "person". He is a being who is both close and far, and one who I feel has graced me in so many ways, I can't even begin to count them. His mercy is so boundless even men or women like myself who eat meat, lust and express rage and anger towards others, are loved by him. Perhaps even saying "he" marganilizes his nature to an extent, as he has incarnations who are male, and those who are female (perhaps some who are without gender as well?).

Jai Swaminarayan!

From a letter writen by Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada on : July 13, 1947:

...To summarise the conclusions of Bhagavad-gita it may be said that,

1) God is one and everything is in Him and He is in everything.

2) To render transcendental service unto God is to serve everything that be, just like to water the root of the tree is to water the different branches and numerous leaves of the tree or to supply food to the stomach is to vitalize all the senses and the sense organs of the body.

3) The parts are automatically served when the Whole is served but when the parts are served the whole may not be served or not served at all.

4) The parts and the Whole being eternally related, it is the eternal duty of the parts to render service unto the Whole.

5) A recipient of the services of the parts, God's sat-cit-ananda vigraha i.e. the all-attractive Cognizant and all-blissful Personality eternal. He can reveal Himself by His own potency without any help of the external potency called maya in order to be cognizable by the limited potency of the parts and as such He is not only the greatest of all but he is the smallest of all. That is His prerogative.

6) He is better realized when He by His causeless mercy agrees to descend in this mortal world but he He is never realised by the partial speculations of the empiric philosophers however systematic and long-termed it may be.

7) Sri Krishna is the Personality of Godhead and is the Summum Bonum Cause of all Causes proved by fact and figures in the statement of Bhagavad-gita, but He reserves the right of not being exposed to the sensual speculations of the empiric philosophers.

8) One should therefore surrender unto Him if one wants to know Him as He is and that is the real process to approach the Infinite by the infinitesimals.

9) Sri Krishna is easily available by the religion of love i.e. by love and service as conceived by the damsels of Vraja who had practically no education whatsoever and much less any claim for high class birth right.

10) The highest service that can be rendered to the mankind is, therefore, to preach the philosophy and religion of Bhagavad-gita for all the times, all the places and all the people.

I hope you may agree with me and thus make a combined effort in this direction for the benefit of the mankind.

Yours sincerely,

Abhay Charan De

Srila Sridhar Maharaja

The Search for Sri Krishna, Reality the Beautiful:

Everyone is searching for rasa, pleasure. The status of

rasa is the highest. As persons we have our subjective

existence, but rasa, pleasure, has His supersubjective

existence. He is a person. He is akhila rasamamrta murti:

the reservoir of all pleasure. He is Krishna. Rasa

is Krishna. There cannot be rasa in any other place

but Krishna. He is the fountainhead of all different

types of rasa. So, by the nature of our constitution we

have to search after Krishna.

In the Brahma-sutra it is said, “Inquire after the

supreme cause of this world. Search!” From where has

everything come? How is everything maintaining its existence?

By whom? And ultimately, where does everything

enter after death? That is brahma, spirit, the most

fundamental plane from where everything springs up,

remains, and ultimately enters.

Where is brahma? The Brahma-Sutra advises us to

inquire after the prime cause, the biggest, the all-accommodating.

But Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu replaced that, Srimad-Bhagavatam replaced that with Krsnanusandhana:

the search for Sri Krishna.

Brahma-jijñasa, the search for spirit, is a dry thing.

That is only the exercise of your thinking faculty, a

jugglery of reason. Leave that behind. Begin the search

for Sri Krishna and quench the thirst of your heart.

Rasa jijñasa, raso vai sa. The things acquired by your

reason won’t satisfy you. Jñana, knowledge, cannot

really quench your thirst, so instead of brahma-jijñasa

accept KrsnanusandhÅna and begin the search for Sri

Krishna.

Where is Krishna? Our real want will be satisfied only

by getting the service of Krishna; not by anything else. We

want to satisfy the innermost demands of our hearts. We

don’t care to know where we are or what is controlling

everything, but we really want to quench our thirst for

rasa, for madhurya, for sweetness. We must search neither

for knowledge nor for the controller of this world; we

must search after rasa, anandam, after beauty and charm.

Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and Srimad-Bhagavatam

have taught us what to beg for, what to pray for, what

to want. They have taught us, “If you beg, beg for

Krishna, not for anything else.” So, the fate of the

Vaisnavas, the students of the Bhagavata and the followers

of Mahaprabhu, is sealed in the search for Sri

Krishna. We want nothing else but Krishna.

The Vedas say, srnvantu viÍsve amrtasya putrah: “O,

you sons of nectar, sons of the nectarine ocean sea:

please listen to me. You were born in nectar; you were

born to taste nectar, and you must not allow yourselves

to be satisfied by anything but nectar. So, however misguided

you may be for the time being, awake! Arise!

Search for that nectar, that satisfaction.”

More important than what I think god is, is who he is in reality, in Himself.

That question can only be answered by one Person and that is Himself.

In Padma Purana:

atah sri-krsna namadi na bhaved grahyam indriyaih

sevonmukhe hi jihvadau svayam eva sphuraty adah

" No one can understand Krsna as He is by the Blunt material senses. But He reveals himself to the devotees, being pleased with them for their transcendental Loving service unto Him."

So if you are truly/sincerely yearning to know/find God, find that person most attached to serving God.:pray:

Hare Krsna/Krishna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

In Padma Purana:

atah sri-krsna namadi na bhaved grahyam indriyaih

sevonmukhe hi jihvadau svayam eva sphuraty adah

" No one can understand Krsna as He is by the Blunt material senses. But He reveals himself to the devotees, being pleased with them for their transcendental Loving service unto Him."

So if you are truly/sincerely yearning to know/find God, find that person most attached to serving God.:pray:

Hare Krsna/Krishna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

How do I know who is serving god if I don't know god?

If god reveals Himself then I know. Not by trusting that somebody else knows when I don't. The risk is too great.

How do I know who is serving god if I don't know god?

If god reveals Himself then I know. Not by trusting that somebody else knows when I don't. The risk is too great.

Do some research and if you are truly serious/sincere then God within you will guide you. You have to take responsibility for your own spiritual advancement then God will help you BUT you must show your sincerity and seriousness (God Helps those who help themselves!!) Dont be lazy and Do not expect God to Just pop out of the blue.:idea:

First you must have faith that God does exist then you have to advance and solidify your faith by doing research.:pray:

Yes you are correct in saying you have to be carefull and that is why I say do some research to avoid blind faith.:smash:

One of the means of avoiding blind faith is to use a checks and balance.

The checks and balance I am talking about is checking the reference pertaining to Guru, Sadhu and Shastra - :deal:

Guru - Check what is it that makes someone a bonafide Guru (Check thair Lineage/Sampradaya)

Sadhu - Refrence the previous saints (sadhus) to verify whatever a person is claiming is in line with the teachings of previous acharya/saints/sadhu

Shastra - Refrence to make sure whatever the shastra/scriptures are saying is in line with what is being said.

For example if someone says to you that he is God then you do a reference check on that persone by first conducting a check from various shastra (scriptures) cross refrencing to verify his claims.

How do you know that someone is truly following God??:confused:

You don't But that does not mean you have no means of checking his/her refrence to verify their claims.

This is done by using the Guru Sadhu And Shastra method of refrencing.

Hare Krsna/Krishna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

Do some research and if you are truly serious/sincere then God within you will guide you. You have to take responsibility for your own spiritual advancement then God will help you BUT you must show your sincerity and seriousness (God Helps those who help themselves!!) Dont be lazy and Do not expect God to Just pop out of the blue.:idea:

First you must have faith that God does exist then you have to advance and solidify your faith by doing research.:pray:

Yes you are correct in saying you have to be carefull and that is why I say do some research to avoid blind faith.:smash:

One of the means of avoiding blind faith is to use a checks and balance.

The checks and balance I am talking about is checking the reference pertaining to Guru, Sadhu and Shastra - :deal:

Guru - Check what is it that makes someone a bonafide Guru (Check thair Gotra/Lineage/Sampradaya)

Sadhu - Refrence the previous saints (sadhus) to verify whatever a person is claiming is in line with the teachings of previous acharya/saints/sadhu

Shastra - Refrence to make sure whatever the shastra/scriptures are saying is in line with what is being said.

For example if someone says to you that he is God then you do a reference check on that persone by first conducting a check from various shastra (scriptures) cross refrencing to verify his claims.

How do you know that someone is truly following God??:confused:

You don't But that does not mean you have no means of checking his/her refrence to verify their claims.

This is done by using the Guru Sadhu And Shastra method of refrencing.

Hare Krsna/Krishna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

The whole business is so precarious and random it hardly seems worth the trouble. God should not be that hard to find, playing peek-a-boo and allowing the searcher to fall into horrible situations. It's seems very cruel and incredibly strange. I believe in God. I don't believe that any human can monopolize access to the Deity. God wants us more than we want Him.

He guides me in spite of my sinful nature. He loves me unconditionally. He doesn't expect me to jump through hoops like a trick pony.

What is the point???

Did you miss my point???

If you want something in life whether material/spiritual then you must endeavour for it.

But remember material endeavour if not completed 100% then it is considerd a failure But Spirtual endeavour unlike material endeavour even if not completed 100% in this life time it is not wasted.

Do you thing God is so cheap that he must appear to you because you want him to without as much as an endeavour.:eek3:

Yes you are correct God cannot be possed by anyone But God says he willingly becomes captivated/prisoner/servant of his devotees because of the intensity of their Love for Him.:pray:

For Example he willingly became the chariot driver for Arjun and the messenger for the Pandavas headed by Yudishtir Maharaja and he became the saviour of Srimati Drupadi and Kunti MA.:pray:

So what qualifies you (Who are you dear SIR?) to expect/force God to appear to you by your will???:confused:

Wishing you all the best in your spiritual endeavour by which ever path you choose. (By God given freedom of choice - What is that freedom of choice?? There is only 2 - The freedom to become His servant or become the servant of Maya, your choice) (Not much of a freedom is it??)

Hare Krsna

Jay Sirla Prabhupda

So what qualifies you (Who are you dear SIR?) to expect/force God to appear to you by your will???

I don't require any such thing. What is cheap is to think that God is coerced by a set of pious practices. God wants to appear to us. He is not an object to be purchased. The economic metaphor of 'cheap' over 'expensive' is actually offensive. God is priceless and can only be purchased by love.

But He is Love and we cannot Love him without His loving us first. Love gives freely without any thought of the cost.

What kind of miserly god do you worship anyway?

I don't require any such thing. What is cheap is to think that God is coerced by a set of pious practices. God wants to appear to us. He is not an object to be purchased. The economic metaphor of 'cheap' over 'expensive' is actually offensive. God is priceless and can only be purchased by love.

But He is Love and we cannot Love him without His loving us first. Love gives freely without any thought of the cost.

What kind of miserly god do you worship anyway?

Yes it is most obvious God cannot be bought. My dear Sir what I was alluding to but obviously you have missed my point is that by price I meant what effort/sacrifice are you willing to put in to "see" God since you said

"...... I don't know god?

If god reveals Himself then I know."

According to you, You can only know God when he reveals himself to you..Therefore I asked What qualifies you for God to take order from you to reveal himself to you.

Further you said "Not by trusting that somebody else knows when I don't. The risk is too great."

That risk you are talking about can be averted to a greater extent if you use the refrencing I was pointing out.

Please forgive me if I have offended you and wishing you all the best in your spiritual jorney.

Hare Krsna/Krishna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

Yes it is most obvious God cannot be bought. My dear Sir what I was alluding to but obviously you have missed my point is that by price I meant what effort/sacrifice are you willing to put in to "see" God since you said

"...... I don't know god?

If god reveals Himself then I know."

According to you, You can only know God when he reveals himself to you..Therefore I asked What qualifies you for God to take order from you to reveal himself to you.

Further you said "Not by trusting that somebody else knows when I don't. The risk is too great."

That risk you are talking about can be averted to a greater extent if you use the refrencing I was pointing out.

Please forgive me if I have offended you and wishing you all the best in your spiritual jorney.

Hare Krsna/Krishna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

I heard you loud and clear. If you know that God's love is obvious, then where it the need to qualify for it?

Love is mercy and grace. If God stood upon justification and qualification who would escape damnation?

Do you qualify for divine mercy?

The only qualification is to be a fallen sinner. Having to perform for some self-styled guru to 'qualify' like some dog doing tricks is really really sick.

The only qualification is to be a fallen sinner. Having to perform for some self-styled guru to 'qualify' like some dog doing tricks is really really sick.

Tridandi Gosvami Sri Srimad Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaja

SRILA JIVA GOSVAMI'S DISAPPEARANCE DAY

Oahu, Hawaii: Jan. 16, 2002 (Evening – Part 1) ?ui=2&ik=ccb812f0dd&attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=117681e928c0a851

Today is a very auspicious day. It is the disappearance day of Srila Jiva Gosvami. We don't observe the disappearance days of Lord Krsna, Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu, Lord Rama or any other incarnation of the Supreme Lord, but we observe the disappearance days of His associates. By such observance we learn many things about these associates’ worshipful Sri Sri Radha-Krsna, Sriman Mahaprabhu and Sri Nityananda Prabhu. We can understand how they practiced bhakti-yoga and how they received the service of Krsna and Mahaprabhu. We can learn from their lives’ examples how they accepted the process of sadhu-sanga (association of pure devotees), bhajana-kriya (the execution of devotional practices) and anartha-nivrtti (the clearing away of thoughts and habits which are unfavorable to bhakti). We learn how their devotion gradually developed to nistha (strong faith), ruci (taste), asakti (spiritual attachment) and rati (spiritual sentiments). This is more important for us. [Although they are nitya-siddha (eternally perfect) devotees, they sometimes act as conditioned souls in the beginning, so that we can learn how a conditioned soul can become a pure devotee.]

Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, the original Supreme Personality of Godhead, Sri Krsna Himself, who has taken the beauty and intrinsic mood of Srimati Radhika, came to this world; but it was Srila Rupa Gosvami who established in this world His innermost heart's feelings. If Srila Rupa Gosvami had not come, perhaps we would not have known His identity. Srila Jiva Gosvami served Srila Rupa Gosvami, and the credit for all the publishing of Srila Rupa Gosvami's literatures belongs to him. By publishing Rupa Gosvami's literatures, he established his innermost desire. At that time it was very difficult to publish books, because the authors had to write all their books with their own pens; there were no printing presses. Jiva Gosvami wrote down, in his own handwriting, every copy of every book of Srila Rupa Gosvami.

Srila Jiva Gosvami was the topmost learned person at that time, and he preserved the legacy of Srila Rupa Gosvami. Because he was always with him, he was able to write many commentaries in pursuance of Rupanuga Vaisnavism. If it were not for him, all of Srila Rupa Gosvami's books would have been lost. He also preached, especially to Sri Syamananda Prabhu, Sri Narottama dasa Thakura, and Sri Srinivasa Acarya. Try to practice serving the cause of Caitanya Mahaprabhu's mission as he has done.

So-called gurus hanker to make many disciples. They spend so much money, make so many agents, and tell them, "If you bring five disciples, I will pay you so much." This is going on nowadays, but Srila Jiva Gosvami and the Six Gosvamis did not practice this.

How many disciples did Srila Raghunatha dasa Gosvami, Srila Sanatana Gosvami, Srila Rupa Gosvami and Srila Raghunatha Bhatta have? Srila Jiva Gosvami did not have any formal disciples at all, but the whole world is his disciple. Sri Syamananda Prabhu was initiated by another guru, Sri Hrdaya Caitanya, Srila Narottama dasa Thakura was initiated by Srila Lokanatha dasa Gosvami, and Srila Srinivasa Acarya was initiated by Srila Gopala Bhatta Gosvami. However, they all came under the shelter of Srila Jiva Gosvami. Srila Jiva Gosvami explained to them the Vedas, Upanisads, and all other sastras, and he also thoroughly explained to them all the established philosophical truths.

They wanted to be initiated by him, but he refused. He told them, "There are so many elevated Vaisnavas more qualified than I. Please, you should go to Lokanatha Gosvami, and you should go to Gopal Bhatta Gosvami." They had not intended to go to them; they wanted Srila Jiva Gosvami to be their guru. Yet, they followed his instructions. Srila Narottama dasa Thakura went to Srila Lokanatha Gosvami Prabhu and Srila Srinivasa Acarya Prabhu went to Srila Gopala Bhatta Gosvami.

Lokanatha Gosvami refused to give Narottama dasa Thakura initiation, although the Thakura waited for many years. Finally, in the early morning, Narottama dasa cleaned the place where Lokanatha Gosvami had passed stool, and finally, seeing his sincerity of purpose, Lokanatha Gosvami was bound to give him initiation. Similarly, Gopal Bhatta Gosvami never wanted to accept any disciples, but by the request of Srila Jiva Gosvami he accepted one disciple – Srinivasa Acarya. However, those two disciples, along with Syamananda Prabhu, went to Bengal and collected thousands and thousands of followers.

Srila Gaura Kisora dasa Babaji also never wanted to accept any disciples. Only by the special request of Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura did he initiate Bhaktivinoda Thakura’s son, Srila Prabhupada Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Gosvami. He saw in his own heart that if he did not initiate Srila Sarasvati Thakura, Srila Sarasvati Thakura would die. Srila Babaji Maharaja was therefore bound to give him initiation, but he gave no initiation to anyone else.

His disciple, Srila Sarasvati Thakura, performed a miracle. He made disciples in all of Bengal, all over India, and after that all over the world. Thus, who is more merciful: the guru or the disciple? We see that disciples are more merciful than their gurus. This is because they go out to everyone, to invite them to experience the mercy of their guru.

Once, when Srila Lokanatha Gosvami and his disciple Srila Narottama dasa Thakura were both engaged in bhajana, a thirsty person came to them desiring water. He went to Lokanatha Gosvami, who was chanting and absorbed, oblivious to his presence. Then, when he went to Narottama dasa Thakura, the Thakura procured some water and gave it to him. Lokanatha Gosvami understood this and later told him, "You are not qualified. You should go at once to your village. I don't want a disciple like you, who has no faith in Lord Sri Krsna’s name. Krsna's name is Krsna Himself. He has manifested all His power, beauty and opulence in His name. His name is more powerful than He Himself, but you have no faith in this truth."

Srila Lokanatha dasa Gosvami told Srila Narottama dasa that he was not qualified because he had interrupted his service to Radhika and Krsna, and went to serve an ordinary man. [srila Narayana Maharaja explained on another day that in real bhajana, the devotee is personally serving Srimati Radha and Sri Krsna while chanting. Had Srila Narottama dasa Thakura continued his bhajana, Krsna would have been pleased and the man also would have been pleased. By Lord Krsna's arrangement, he would have gotten water from another source.] Srila Narottama dasa Thakura was so faithful that he followed his guru's instruction to leave Vrndavana, and he also initiated thousands and thousands of disciples in the course of his preaching on his guru's behalf.

I think that Srila Narottama dasa Thakura is so much more merciful than his Gurudeva. Although Lokanatha Gosvami is a manjari and Narottama dasa Thakura is also a manjari, it appears that Narottama dasa Thakura is more merciful. He had mercy for all, as shown by his extensive preaching. In another way, however, we can see that Lokanatha Gosvami is extremely merciful, because he parted with his only disciple, who served him so intimately, just so the people of Bengal could benefit.

There are many teachings to contemplate in this regard. If Srila Jiva Gosvami had not written Sri Sad-Sandarbha, if he had not written Sri Gopala Campu, if he had not revealed his commentaries on Sri Ujjvala Nilamani, Sri Bhakti-rasamrita-sindu, and so many other books, we would not be able to know the mercy of Srila Rupa Gosvami. We therefore offer our obeisances today unto the lotus feet of Srila Jiva Gosvami. We pray that we may serve our Gurudeva as he served Srila Rupa Gosvami. He manifested both Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and Sri Sri Radha-Krsna. It is very rare for anyone to be like him.

I heard you loud and clear. If you know that God's love is obvious, then where it the need to qualify for it?

Love is mercy and grace. If God stood upon justification and qualification who would escape damnation?

Do you qualify for divine mercy?

The reason I asked your qualification is because you said By your own words you do not know God and you will only know if he reveals himself. So You have placed a condition on God that you will only believe in Him if he reveals Himself to you. My question remains who are you to command God to reveal himself to you!

You talk about God as Love, so If you truly Love God why do you put a condition on God?:confused:

Please clarify what you mean "If God stood upon justification and qualification who would escape damnation?" :confused:

God does not damn anyone that is why I said in my earlier post you have freedom of choice what are those choices? There is only 2 - The freedom to become His servant or become the servant of Maya.

Please I am interested to know what you mean by self styled guru if you mean a self-styled bollywood guru then I would agree with you that would truly be sick.:P

But for a Bonafide guru yes I willingly accept to become a dog so that he can guide me to God. There is a saying in Hindi > Guru Bina Gyan nahi

Remember Lord Krsna and Lord Rama's leela/pastimes here on Bhumi Lok when they accepted a Guru.

By Gods mercy you can get a bonafide Guru and By the mercy of guru you can obtain God.

"The only qualification is to be a fallen sinner." Guess what...........why do you think we are here on planet Durga Dham and not with him? We are all fallen!!:eek:

By saying you are a sinner is fine But what are you doing to correct yourself from this sinfull situation?:eek3:

Hare Krsna/Krishna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

There was a person who spent all his time seeking out the extent of his own prowess.

He found that [actually he knew it instantly] he was unlimited and that there was only one of Him to be found.

He was also the only one with a personality. So he sought out the extent of his potencies and as he did this created the cosmos and thus so many living entities to play with and he's been doing this always.

He is the coolest Bon vivant, indeed he is the standard of coolness and sophistication and grace. He's also so good looking and amiable that everyone falls in love with him.

Sometimes folks ask him permission to leave his company to pursue an independent path [ie: to start his own Rock Band] where they could pretent to be him.

But then this coolest Guy is seen reflected in all things and so the Sojourner sees that wherever he goes he can't escape remembering the "Original Primeval Supreme Coolest Godhead".

And so, the Sojourner, ironically feels cheated so, out of a perverted sense of determination, he tries harder to enjoy independently until he is smashed --thus again he recalls what the good life was like when all he had to do was be part of the coolest's entourage.

Let get on the band wagon and jamb with the coolest--but remember that it takes practice, practice, practice.

ys,

bhaktajan

The reason I asked your qualification is because you said By your own words you do not know God and you will only know if he reveals himself. So You have placed a condition on God that you will only believe in Him if he reveals Himself to you. My question remains who are you to command God to reveal himself to you!

I implied no such condition. In fact I argue against the condition that one has to find a guru first.

I implied no such condition. In fact I argue against the condition that one has to find a guru first.

Please forgive me for mis-reading. So once you have full faith in God he will send you a Guide/Guru/Teacher (that is if you desire a teacher/guide):pray:

I hope I have not offended you. Wishing you all the best in your spiritual journey Brahmaji (We are all on the spiritual quest):)

Hare Krsna/Krishna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

Please forgive me for mis-reading. So once you have full faith in God he will send you a Guide/Guru/Teacher (that is if you desire a teacher/guide):pray:

I hope I have not offended you. Wishing you all the best in your spiritual journey Brahmaji (We are all on the spiritual quest):)

Hare Krsna/Krishna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

Send me a teacher? Why do I need a go-between? Why must somebody claim to be speaking for God? That's religion.

Send me a teacher? Why do I need a go-between? Why must somebody claim to be speaking for God? That's religion.

Protestantism. Protestants have no knowledge of the internal potency of the Lord. Why don't you just go to church on Sunday, sit there and be quiet.

Protestantism. Protestants have no knowledge of the internal potency of the Lord. Why don't you just go to church on Sunday, sit there and be quiet.

Arrogant hostile contemptuous attitudes - such a symptom of spiritual advancement.