IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sanskruti

How does one convert to Hinduism from Jainism?

Rate this topic

I come from a Jain family who all call themselves Hindus. They believe in Hindu Gods, but also worship Jain Tirthankaras. So are we officially Hindus or do we need to go through a conversion process? Does this require a surname change? :confused:

Please help.

why convert... keep doing what u are doing pray to whichever god you choose i think in india you have the freedom of deciding which god u will pray to...

i am a hindu and a shiva bhakt... but i have prayed at vaishnav temples and at churches and even at dargahs.... no one has stopped me so why should anyone stop you...

First of all do you believe in Hinduism yourself? If you do then fine. Having faith in Hinduism does not mean you need to go through a conversion proccess. God is all knower. He knows how you feel about Him.

I come from a Jain family who all call themselves Hindus. They believe in Hindu Gods, but also worship Jain Tirthankaras. So are we officially Hindus or do we need to go through a conversion process? Does this require a surname change? :confused:

Please help.

It depends which sect you follow, yes you can formally convert to Hinduism, it just depends on what tradition you come from. I wish people would stop this "you can't convert" or "you don't need to convert" junk. This Hinduism is dying to radical false religions, if some one comes here interested in hinduism, then this "hindu" forum should encourage them.

On topic. I belong to BAPS Swaminarayan sanstha and there initiation paths, you just go to BAPS temple and talk to some their about converting, you'll get scripture and counseling about our faith.

http://www.swaminarayan.org/

why convert... keep doing what u are doing pray to whichever god you choose i think in india you have the freedom of deciding which god u will pray to...

i am a hindu and a shiva bhakt... but i have prayed at vaishnav temples and at churches and even at dargahs.... no one has stopped me so why should anyone stop you...

I think as a hindu you should have faith in Hindu institution and follow them otherwise don't call yourself Hindu. The Guru to the Beatles died a few days ago. It was being discussed on an American show called "Real Time Bill Mahr" they were basically making fun of him. Calling him a phony and saying the Beatles should of spent theit time with Mother Theresa, instead. Calling the dumb for getting involved with Hinduism and Indian culture, these people were conservative christian guest. It's no good to true to be allies with people who think you are going to hell. If you are Hindu, you should be helping hinduism progress and spread, because your enemies won't. Jai Swaminarayan

That was good reply.

I think as a hindu you should have faith in Hindu institution and follow them otherwise don't call yourself Hindu. The Guru to the Beatles died a few days ago. It was being discussed on an American show called "Real Time Bill Mahr" they were basically making fun of him. Calling him a phony and saying the Beatles should of spent theit time with Mother Theresa, instead. Calling the dumb for getting involved with Hinduism and Indian culture, these people were conservative christian guest. It's no good to true to be allies with people who think you are going to hell. If you are Hindu, you should be helping hinduism progress and spread, because your enemies won't. Jai Swaminarayan
I don't think Mahesh and Shivaduta are telling Sanskruti to become Jain, rather they are telling him he can still worship Hindu deities, and call himself a Hindu without a formal conversion ceremony.

Sanskruti if you still want to formally convert, there are various orginizations like the Chinmaya Mission, Original Shree Swaminarayan Sampradaya, BAPS, Ramakrishna Matha, ISKCON (though they don't refer to themselves as being Hindu) etc. that will give you a formal conversion (I should note, that you should probably choose an orginization which you think lines up with your own beliefs well, and not the closest one you can find).

I don't think Mahesh and Shivaduta are telling Sanskruti to become Jain, rather they are telling him he can still worship Hindu deities, and call himself a Hindu without a formal conversion ceremony.

Absolutely true... The heart is where hinduism lies... and papers dont make or unmake a hindu ...except for legalities... and legalities can always be done at leisure :)

Exactly my point. Celina doesnt seem to grasp what we talk about. The Sanatan Dharm does not have any sort of way where one has to adopt to a rite of way for example a conversion proccess, for one to follow it. Just give yourself to a true guru and read the true scriptures. But make sure the roots of teh Sampraday are in line with the Vedas and established by a true guru or even God Himself who is also not devoid of the Vedas. BAPS does not fall into this hence why the outburst by celina.

Jai Swaminarayan

Hinduism is a ocean... no one can practice entire hinduism... but anyone practising any aspect of hinduism is a hindu

A Aghori tantrik eating human flesh is a hindu

A naked naga sadhu is a hindu

mirabai and all krishna bhakts are hindus

the shivabhakt who sits on the bank of the ganges drinking bhang is a hindu...

the kalibhakt who sacrifices animals is a hindu

and a brahmabhakt who worships brahma at pushkar is a hindu

so read understand and decide which aspect of hinduism you seek to follow and then find a guru and seek diksha... and much after that will come the legal formalities...

Are you kidding me? The Guru of the Beatles deserved every bad name in the book by the media. I am glad he got exposed. He lived in a 200 room mansion and made millions under the guise of yoga and Hinduism. People like him deserve no respect. The news comments had nothing to do with Hinduism, they were just exposing this fake Guru.

The only person from the Beattles that was really a true Hindu was George Harrison. He was a disciple of Swami Prabhupada and even though he still battled with addiction here and there, his spirituality really helped him become a better person and Swami Prabupada didn't take millions from him.

I am sick of these fake gurus using Hinduism for their own benefits. These selfish people need to be ousted at any given chance. And you are comparing to Mother Theresa? Yea Mother Theresa might have been a Catholic but dare compare some fake Guru to her.

I would say Amma is more like a Hindu Mother Theresa

Jai Sri Krishna

Sanskruti, I would say conversion is something you should do if you should ever feel the need to solidify your commitment to an institution, but I definitely don't think it's necessary. I think it's something you should decide after more learning and more prayer....Keep enriching your soul....It will become clear to you what you should do. Let your soul and intuition be your guide. Let what you learn from hinduism direct you(that's what I'm currently in the process of doing myself!)

As for the quoted text...I'm a little confused by it. What does being "allies with people who think you are going to hell" have to do with a need for conversion? And aren't we taught to be kind, understanding and empathetic to everyone, no matter what they believe? Aren't we taught to love ALL???? Isn't viewing non-hindus as enemies a mindset that would impede "spreading" hinduism? For, if we rejected all who didn't share our beliefs, we are perpetuating an "eye for an eye" mentality. Spirituality is not a war and religion is not a club to which we should aspire to garner officiality of some kind...And in my opinion, it should never be tangled-up with politics! It is sacred. It is a quest for truth and an endeavour fueled by LOVE. Love...Which is what ties us all eternally to the divine. When we choose Love, we choose God. God doesn't care what name you go by, he knows who you are. I don't think the Divine cares about the technicalities! All He wants is for you to earnestly, sincerely seek him out...And when you find your way, you'll know in your heart that it's right. Exercise your soul's intuition....And never forget, to choose love.

Hare Krishna!

I come from a Jain family who all call themselves Hindus. They believe in Hindu Gods, but also worship Jain Tirthankaras. So are we officially Hindus or do we need to go through a conversion process? Does this require a surname change?Please help.

i dont how sincere u are but may b this can help u!

unless u really wish, dont come around to this Religion! as Vedic Sanätana Dharma is all about Love and Service to ShreeKrshna and His loving devotion! unlike jainism who try to deny HIM in the first place!

so be sure!

if u r interested...read on...

the Sanätana Vedic Dharma teaches one to Love and Serve the Purusha! ShreeKrshna or Shree Näräyana/Shree ShreeShiva!

well, if u r sincere, HE will definitely bail ya out! i was more sinful than u, but definitely HE has bailed me out from where i was! HE knows it!

moreoever, the current hindu religion is apparently going through tantrums due to increasing effect of kaliyuga...

with some rotten sects of past 200 yrs., trying to impose their own theories in name of god...and like sheeps followers of such cheters are loitering behind them in the hope of a comfortable future! however, they will soon get it...after their death!

they also blabber loud that their leaders are god!

svaminarayna

dada bagvan

sai baba

osho

siva baba of ganes puri

and hundreds of others...

these are some of the religious terrorists so to speak...

i mean, if u plan to indulge with any of such cheater than there is no need for u to change...

however, i'd u suggest u might get initiated through one of these schools...

*Shiva Sampradäya (Rudra Sampradäya and also Vallabha Sampradäya)

*Brahma Sampradäya..

*Shree Sampradäya

*Kumära Sampradäya

or otherwise...just cry for help..i'm sure if its from the bottom...u will be bailed!