IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

Googlepages?!

Rate this topic

From Times Online

March 12, 2008

Google could be superseded, says web inventor

The next generation of web technology is likely to be far more powerful than the current crop.

Google may eventually be displaced as the pre-eminent brand on the internet by a company that harnesses the power of next-generation web technology, the inventor of the World Wide Web has said.

The search giant had developed an extremely effective way of searching for pages on the internet, Tim Berners-Lee said, but that ability paled in comparison to what could be achieved on the "web of the future", which he said would allow any piece of information — such as a photo or a bank statement — to be linked to any other.

Mr Berners-Lee said that in the same way, the "current craze" for social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace would eventually be superseded by networks that connected all types of things — not just people — thanks to a ground-breaking technology known as the "semantic web".

The semantic web is the term used by the computer and internet industry to describe the next phase of the web's development, and essentially involves building web-based connectivity into any piece of data — not just a web page — so that it can "communicate" with other information.

Whereas the existing web is a collection of pages with links between them that Google and other search engines help the user to navigate, the "semantic web" will enable direct connectivity between much more low-level pieces of information — a written street address and a map, for instance — which in turn will give rise to new services.

"Using the semantic web, you can build applications that are much more powerful than anything on the regular web," Mr Berners-Lee said. "Imagine if two completely separate things — your bank statements and your calendar — spoke the same language and could share information with one another. You could drag one on top of the other and a whole bunch of dots would appear showing you when you spent your money.

full article: http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article3532832.ece

Just applied for Gmail, accounts, so i have now www.downloads.mobi.googlepages.com. Maybe in future will become popular. I also mananged to get the following (note 'googlepages.com' is added to all urls at the end of the link), I have: microsoft.mobi, pepsi.mobi, apple.mobi,walmart.mobi

The site you have requested could not be found. (404)

Tat cause i not put anyting duffer

:smash:

Soon enough .me domains will be releasing too. Keep your eyes out for those if you want or do they have to be purely .mobi?

You might want to grab google.me, etc...