IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
wedjlok

Shri Ganesha murti identification help

Rate this topic

Hello,

I have a Ganesh murti that I am having a bit of a problem identifying, as it seems to be a little uniques even to the regular 32 forms, and I was curious if you could help me to identify it or to direct me to someone who could.

The murti is in a standing form, his legs are both together and pointing forward. His trunk is in Valampuri pose (circling around to HIS right in a loop at then end) and holds a tresure vase in the circled end of his trunk.

The murti has four arms and HIS forward right hand is in the abhaya mudra bestowing blessing, HIS forward left hand holds a sweet ball, HIS rear right hand holds an axe, and HIS rear left hand holds a noose. He does wear ornamental headwear and has a decorated circular disc behind his head that comes to a point at the top. On his trunk, between and below his eyes, is what appears like a Sanskrit "d" consonant in a circle, but I am not sure of that one. On his forehead is a tilak that resemble the trident of Siva. His ears are plain and unadorned, but he is missing his right tusk and wears the usual flower garland and necklace adornments. His attire is in a dhoti with a string of beads around his waist.

Please, any help in identifying this murti is greatly appreciated and if you cannot help me, then I would be pleased to be directed somewhere to whom may answer my question.

And if this is not the correct forum to address this question, then may the moderators please alert me to this fact, or move this post.

Thank you very much,

Aeryck

After further study of some of the symbolism in this murti, I do believe that the item taht I listed as being an axe is actually a goad, due to the fact that the apparatus that I took for a blade actually faces to the left, like in a goad, unlike where an axe would have its blade facing to the right (as seen from look at it from a front view, not the view of the murti itself).

Anyway, I'm hoping for some sort of response, nonetheless, since a lot of views have been made of this thread, but so far no one has responded in any way.

Thank you.

Thank you, Sund, but it is not as great as I would like. Most of my knowledge is self-learned because I do not have much opportunity here for being taught, as there is not a great abundance of Hindu temples in America, even though there is a large Indian population in this country. What little I have learned is from staying at Vaishnava temples here (with ISKCON) and otherwise teaching myself. Other than that, I am a Tibetan Buddhist, and we employ lots of the same mudras and such in our practices.

Thank you.