IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

Milk Production And Cruelty to Cattle

Rate this topic

I don't understand why people complicate simple matters. One shouldn't kill cows, period. If others do, it's not our fault, nor are we responsible in any way. The argument that one is indirectly responsible is quite silly and illogoical, because it can be extended to practically any situation.

Someone mentioned Vietnam war in this connection, not realizing that they're responsible for the slaughter simply by paying taxes. So the argument could work both ways, so it's better not to over analyze this. Surrender to Krishna, that's all we can do. Sarva-Dharmaan Parityajya, maamekam sharanam-vraja....

I don't understand why people complicate simple matters. One shouldn't kill cows, period. If others do, it's not our fault, nor are we responsible in any way. The argument that one is indirectly responsible is quite silly and illogoical, because it can be extended to practically any situation.

Someone mentioned Vietnam war in this connection, not realizing that they're responsible for the slaughter simply by paying taxes. So the argument could work both ways, so it's better not to over analyze this. Surrender to Krishna, that's all we can do. Sarva-Dharmaan Parityajya, maamekam sharanam-vraja....

When you make a free will choice to purchase commercial milk you are in fact hiring the dairymen to perform the acts they do to bring you that milk. You reward them for their work with profit. That is a direct connection that you have freely entered into.

Taxes are extracted or perhaps extorted from the populace. There is no choice involved. Implications and obliques connections are everywhere in the material world and now that we are entangled in material actions and reactions they can't be avoided. Krsna says for his devotee He will perserve what they have and carry what they lack. So this goes to intention. We will never be faultless in our actions due to so many factors of circumstance however we are responsible for doing the best we can and we pray to Krsna to forgive our weaknesses.

No one is forced to buy commercial milk for themselves yet at the same time tax money is used to but commercial milk for the school lunch program etc.

No effort is perfect but we are expected to do what we can.

Alternatives for Vegans

by Niscala dasi

Posted March 16, 2008

I used to think it was very hard to go vegan, as I was particularly addicted to creamy tastes and especially ice cream, as well as curd, etc. Then I discovered what a humble banana could do when it was blended with soy milk, as well as how much better tasting than milk are some of the soy milks you can get. I must confess I got totally addicted to soy milk and started drinking massive quantities of it, which caused me some health problems, so don't go that route! Rice milk is much safer if you happen to be a huge milk-alternative consumer, like me. I don't think you could overdose on it at all, as it is just rice and water and vegetable oil, basically. Soy milk is the one for taste though. For Australian devotees, try the Soy Milky brand, you will get addicted instantly, I can guarantee it. Or if it is available in your area, almond milk is both delicious and very nutritious. For the healthiest, yummiest, cheapest, and easiest ice cream recipe, just blend over-ripe (really, really over-ripe) bananas- with soy milk for a super creamy effect, or rice milk for a lighter snack. They should be the Cavendish (long-fingered) type, not the Lady Finger (short-fingered) type. Freeze them first for 2 days or so, taking the skins off first, and have the soy or rice milk cold too, then it will be actually icecream. Then try adding peaches or pears, fresh or from the can, but if they are fresh they should be over-ripe and squishy. It's a great way to use up all that fruit you have in the fridge that is almost ready to throw out.

Instead of curd, tofu is the way, with the firm stuff perfect for frying and the soft stuff perfect for crumbling. Olive oil is a very healthy alternative to ghee. Instead of butter on bread, try nut butters or tahini- bought in bulk they are cheaper too.

For a huge range of fantastic cheap recipes I recommend Vegan with a Vengeance. Actually there are so many good books out there, but if you are on a shoe-string and short of time, this one is great.

Soy Milk is still strongly discussed in this part of the world. It should be clear that all Soy is meanwhile modified and what it does to your health in long term not realy explored. All Soy baby milk is genetically modified, but would you rather make that experiment or buy milk from the cow killing industries? My decision was to buy food what is at least natural food - if I support the wrong people with that, what can be done?

<dl><dt class="textHEADER">

Genetically Modified Soy

</dt><dd> </dd></dl> GM: New study shows unborn babies could be harmed

Mortality rate for new-born rats six times higher when mother was fed on a diet of modified soya

By Geoffrey Lean, Environment Editor

The Independent on Sunday, 08 January 2006

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article337253.ece

Women who eat GM foods while pregnant risk endangering their unborn

babies, startling new research suggests.

The study - carried out by a leading scientist at the Russian Academy

of Sciences - found that more than half of the offspring of rats fed

on modified soya died in the first three weeks of life, six times as

many as those born to mothers with normal diets. Six times as many

were also severely underweight.

The research - which is being prepared for publication - is just one

of a clutch of recent studies that are reviving fears that GM food

damages human health. Italian research has found that modified soya

affected the liver and pancreas of mice. Australia had to abandon a

decade-long attempt to develop modified peas when an official study

found they caused lung damage.

And last May this newspaper revealed a secret report by the biotech

giant Monsanto, which showed that rats fed a diet rich in GM corn had

smaller kidneys and higher blood cell counts, suggesting possible

damage to their immune systems, than those that ate a similar conventional one.

The United Nation's Food and Agriculture Organisation held a workshop

on the safety of genetically modified foods at its Rome headquarters

late last year. The workshop was addressed by scientists whose

research had raised concerns about health dangers. But the World Trade

Organisation is expected next month to support a bid by the Bush

administration to force European countries to accept GM foods.

The Russian research threatens to have an explosive effect on already

hostile public opinion. Carried out by Dr Irina Ermakova at the

Institute of Higher Nervous Activity and Neurophysiology of the

Russian Academy of Sciences, it is believed to be the first to look at

the effects of GM food on the unborn.

The scientist added flour from a GM soya bean - produced by Monsanto

to be resistant to its pesticide, Roundup - to the food of female

rats, starting two weeks before they conceived, continuing through

pregnancy, birth and nursing. Others were given non-GM soyaand a third

group was given no soya at all.

She found that 36 per cent of the young of the rats fed the modified

soya were severely underweight, compared to 6 per cent of the

offspring of the other groups. More alarmingly, a staggering 55.6 per

cent of those born to mothers on the GM diet perished within three

weeks of birth, compared to 9 per cent of the offspring of those fed

normal soya, and 6.8 per cent of the young of those given no soya at

all.

"The morphology and biochemical structures of rats are very similar to

those of humans, and this makes the results very disturbing" said Dr

Ermakova.

"They point to a risk for mothers and their babies."

Environmentalists say that - while the results are preliminary - they

are potentially so serious that they must be followed up. The American

Academy of Environmental Medicine has asked the US National Institute

of Health to sponsor an immediate, independent follow-up.

The Monsanto soya is widely eaten by Americans. There is little of it,

or any GM crop, in British foods though it is imported to feed animals

farmed for meat.

Tony Coombes, director of corporate affairs for Monsanto UK, said:

"The overwhelming weight of evidence from published, peer-reviewed,

independently conducted scientific studies demonstrates that Roundup

Ready soy can be safely consumed by rats, as well as all other animal

species studied."

What the experiment found

Russian scientists added flour made from a GM soya to the diet of

female rats two weeks before mating them, and continued feeding it to

them during pregnancy, birth and nursing. Others were give non-GM soya or none at all.

Six times as many of the offspring of those fed the modified soya were

severely underweight compared to those born to the rats given normal

diets.

Within three weeks, 55.6 per cent of the young of the mothers given

the modified soya died, against 9 per cent of the offspring of those

fed the conventional soya.

<hr size="1" width="75%"> Can GM Soy be Deadly?

An experiment to see whether genetically modified (GM) soy might affect the offspring of rats yielded disturbing results.

Rats were divided into several groups, one of which was given a diet to which 5-7 grams of Monsanto's "Roundup Ready" GM soy flour had been added; the others were fed similar diets containing no GM soy. The diets began two weeks before the rats became pregnant, and continued throughout pregnancy and nursing.

Low Birth Weight

A number of offspring from the GM-fed mothers were born unusually small, and after two weeks, 36 percent of them weighed less than 20 grams, compared to about 6 percent from the other groups.

More Than Half the Rats Died

Within three weeks, more than half of the rats from the GM soy group died, compared to less than 10 percent from the other groups.

Roundup Ready GM soy's DNA contains bacterial genes that allow the soy plant to survive treatment with Monsanto's "Roundup" brand herbicide. Some 85 percent of the soy gown in the United States is Roundup Ready. Soy is present in the majority of processed foods sold in the United States, so most Americans eat Roundup Ready soy in some form every day.

No Safety Tests Required

The FDA does not require any safety tests on genetically modified foods. There have been less than 20 published, peer-reviewed animal feeding safety studies and no human clinical trials.

More information on this experiment can be found here.

Read Dr. Mercola's Comments on this experiment here

<hr size="1" width="75%">

All soy baby milk genetically modified

- Dominion Post 05 September 2003

<dl><dt class="textbody">By LEAH HAINES

Every infant soy milk formula sold in New Zealand contains genetically modified soy, the Government says. But acting food safety minister Damien O'Connor would still not name the brands yesterday. Green MP Sue Kedgley has been demanding the names of the affected formulas since a survey revealed four were contaminated. </dt><dd> </dd><dt class="textbody">Mothers Against Genetic Engineering in Food and the Environment has called for a boycott on all soy formulas till the brands are disclosed. Officials have refused to shed light on the brands because the contamination is not high enough to break GM labelling laws. The Food Safety Authority said it had sampled all four formulas available in New Zealand and all four contained GM. Yesterday in Parliament Mr O'Connor came close to revealing the names, confirming that all soy formulas had been tested for GM and "all four were positive". </dt><dd> </dd><dt class="textbody">Ms Kedgley then named the four brands listed on the Health Ministry's website - Karicare Soya 1, Karicare starter formula, Infasoy and Infasoy progress. Did it follow, she asked, that they were the contaminated brands? </dt><dd> </dd><dt class="textbody">Mr O'Connor replied that he did not know. </dt><dd> </dd><dt class="textbody">Asked if there was a moral obligation to tell people what foods had GM in them given that Britain's Royal Society had expressed reservations about the safety of GM infant food, Mr O'Connor said that there had been 20 approved GM organisms in the country since 1998 "and I am not aware of any death or illness from the consumption of those products". </dt><dd> </dd><dt class="textbody">Madge spokeswoman Alana Currie said she had fielded calls from dozens of mothers wanting to know which brands were affected and some promising to give soy milk up. "People are really angry," she said. Without long-term testing on the effects of eating GM, it was irresponsible to declare them safe. "I would like them to prove that it is safe to eat, not just say no one has died from it yet," she said. </dt></dl> <hr size="1" width="75%">

<dl><dt class="textSUBheader">Government must reveal contaminated baby food </dt><dd> </dd><dt class="textbody">Green MP Sue Kedgley is calling on the New Zealand Minister for Food Safety Annette King to release the names of four infant formulas that the Food Safety Authority found to be contaminated with genetically engineered soy. </dt><dd> </dd><dt class="textbody">Ms Kedgley, the Green Food Safety spokesperson revealed that the recent NZFSA audit of food manufacturers and importers found that four tested infant formulas contained 0.2 or 0.3 per cent of genetically engineered soy. </dt><dd> </dd><dt class="textbody">“It is vital that the public is informed which are the soy infant formulas that contained GE contamination so that concerned parents can avoid purchasing these formulae,” said Ms Kedgley. </dt><dd> </dd><dt class="textbody">“It is alarming to discover that some infant formulas contain unlabelled GE soy that has never been tested on humans or undergone proper, independent safety testing. </dt><dd> </dd><dt class="textbody">“Many parents would be horrified to learn that they were feeding their infants genetically engineered products. </dt><dd class="textbody"> </dd><dt class="textbody">“With the rising rate of allergies to soy products in the USA and UK being linked to GE soy, it is even more critical that parents can make this choice,” said Ms Kedgley. </dt><dd class="textbody"> </dd><dt class="textbody">Other food products found to contain GE contaminants included six different samples of corn chips, sandwich ham, pork luncheon, and sausage meat. </dt><dd> </dd><dt class="textbody">Ms Kedgley is calling on the Government to release the names of all food products that were found to contain GE ingredients in the survey, so that consumers can have the right to make informed purchasing decisions. </dt><dd> </dd><dt class="textbody">“The public has a right to know what is in the food they eat. The Government must come clean on what products it has found to have GE contamination, especially for our younger people.” </dt><dd> </dd><dt class="textbody">Ms Kedgley will be asking questions of the Minister in Parliament today to publicly identify the contaminated products with the full results of the NZFSA report, Assessment of Compliance with Standard 1.5.2.</dt></dl>

Soy Milk is still strongly discussed in this part of the world. It should be clear that all Soy is meanwhile modified and what it does to your health in long term not realy explored. All Soy baby milk is genetically modified, but would you rather make that experiment or buy milk from the cow killing industries? My decision was to buy food what is at least natural food - if I support the wrong people with that, what can be done?

WHAT CAN BE DONE!? WHAT CAN BE DONE!?

Well you stop supporting the cow murderers for a start. Sheesh what a statement. So worried over a modified bean that may or may not have some health risks that you choose to kill cows with your money instead. Really suchandra that stinks.

And who is to say you have to use soy milk. There is rice milk. There is almond and other nut milk's that you make yourself.

And what makes you think the commercial milk from enslaved cows is so healthy?

And besides why not some austerity for the sake of the cows?

Poor excuse bro.

Really suchandra that stinks.

If you offer the milk these cows get benefitted and gradually there's a breakthrough of this vicious circle. At least the Soy should be clean, here vegetarians discourage the daily consumption of Soy. ISKCON even says, Soy cannot be offered, it is food for draft animals and too heavy to digest for us and Krishna doesn't like it either.

If you offer the milk these cows get benefitted and gradually there's a breakthrough of this vicious circle. At least the Soy should be clean, here vegetarians discourage the daily consumption of Soy. ISKCON even says, Soy cannot be offered, it is food for draft animals and too heavy to digest for us and Krishna doesn't like it either.

I no longer use soy myself after using it successfully for decades. Iskcon says it's too heavy now what does that mean. What is too heavy is the fat in whole cow's milk which is designed to add raid weight gain for the new calve.

Besides the last place I will look for dietary advice is the Iskcon rule book. looks like you are another person who drinks cow milk to liberate the cows.:rolleyes: Yeah right?

The idea that Krishna needs milk so bad that He must get it even if it means cows must suffer in the process is ludicrous. Krsna accepts the love in the offering. Do you think He has likes or dislikes concerning soy milk and cow's milk? Don't go too far with the anthropomorphism. It's the love.

I no longer use soy myself after using it successfully for decades. Iskcon says it's too heavy now what does that mean. What is too heavy is the fat in whole cow's milk which is designed to add raid weight gain for the new calve.

Besides the last place I will look for dietary advice is the Iskcon rule book. looks like you are another person who drinks cow milk to liberate the cows.:rolleyes: Yeah right?

The idea that Krishna needs milk so bad that He must get it even if it means cows must suffer in the process is ludicrous.

I also would like to stop drinking milk but for me it is like medicine. I only take it because it is like a medicine. On the other hand, imagine all those milk sweets (see below) made with Soy- Soy is heavy to digest, it is fact. In all our Chinese restaurants where they serve Soy meals, they offer slug and drammie afterwards. Could be that this is why some propagate Soy so strongly?

28k1tuc.jpg

Whatever is needed to help us go on in Krishna consciousness should be used in my opinion. I personally need milk mixed with turmeric every night for my health. Otherwise my quality of life goes down and it affects my devotional service.

Prabhupada said you could even eat meat if you needed it to survive in Krishna consciousness.

But I agree that we do need more farms that treat our Mother Cow properly and doesn't send her off to the slaughterhouses when she can no longer produce milk. We basically need some more purity in the dairy industry.

Pls forgive me for all my offenses,

indulekhadasi

Okay so we can conclude that cow protection is nice when it is convienient. First comes service to the body and taste buds and cows come after that. This is the position of the devotees who choose to consume commercial milk.

Whatever is needed to help us go on in Krishna consciousness should be used in my opinion. I personally need milk mixed with turmeric every night for my health. Otherwise my quality of life goes down and it affects my devotional service.

Prabhupada said you could even eat meat if you needed it to survive in Krishna consciousness.

But I agree that we do need more farms that treat our Mother Cow properly and doesn't send her off to the slaughterhouses when she can no longer produce milk. We basically need some more purity in the dairy industry.

Pls forgive me for all my offenses,

indulekhadasi

That's the way I look at it too. I can't give up milk either or my health really suffers.

Okay so we can conclude that cow protection is nice when it is convienient. First comes service to the body and taste buds and cows come after that. This is the position of the devotees who choose to consume commercial milk.

I respect your position and I will try to reduce my usage of dairy products but I can't guarantee you anything.

I have never quiet enjoyed milk and hardly ever drink it but we unfortunately need it for its by products to make ghee and other preparations such as buttermilk etc.

I understand your point Theistjie. I plead guilty although in our part of the world we do not have access to the variety of alternatives you have for milk.

So if it is my karma to go to hell for sending mother to the slaughter house then I have to accept this punishment.

Whatever the Lord gives me as punishment I am ready to accept.

The only request I have is that I may never forget him wherever he sends me.

Hare Krsna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

I respect your position and I will try to reduce my usage of dairy products but I can't guarantee you anything.

Reduction is good. Reduce to zero is best a little at a time if necessary. Nothing in cow's milk that cannot be obtained elsewhere. It is necessary to substitute and not just refrain.

I have never quiet enjoyed milk and hardly ever drink it but we unfortunately need it for its by products to make ghee and other preparations such as buttermilk etc.

I understand your point Theistjie. I plead guilty although in our part of the world we do not have access to the variety of alternatives you have for milk.

Your milk may not come from slaughterhouse cows. I don't know the situation in India.

So if it is my karma to go to hell for sending mother to the slaughter house then I have to accept this punishment.

Whatever the Lord gives me as punishment I am ready to accept.

The only request I have is that I may never forget him wherever he sends me.

Hare Krsna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

Well is buttermilk or ghee worth a trip to the slaughterhouse? Not for me.

But it is not so much the karma that may come back to us. It is our participation in the suffering of other living beings that should concern us and not just the effect of that participation.

But these people wouldn't be killing these cows at all if people weren't paying for them to give them their products.

This is a totally different situation as war goes on whether without our say so and taxes have to be paid whether we want to pay them or not.

However, we can choose whether to pay these people for their kinds of "services" and can protest for the industry to change. It doesn't "have" to be this way. We can stop the slaughter of thousands upon thousands of cows....we don't just have to live with it because it "happens".

This isn't over analyzing...this industry is hurting everyone, not just cows. (see my earlier posts)

Why would you want to be a part of such a thing? You are literally paying DIRECTLY for these products and services, with full knowledge of how the companies work etc. and still you don't care?

At the very least you could search for a more ethical company to buy from...but these factory farms are not worth a single penny of our money.

Again, it's not us or the cows or even the milk! It's supporting these awful people who do awful things and directly paying them to do it!

Yes I am an offender to Mother Cow. I know it and I feel remorse. I will accept all of you accusations upon my head. You may criticize me all you want because I can say nothing to refute you.

However I will tell you straight up that spending ones whole child life in the hospital is no picnic.

Taste buds? Factually I don't like the taste of milk. Please forgive me but it seems that was an accusation that had no basis.

Your most insignificant servant eternally,

indulekhadasi

Also, there are a lot of myths surrounding milk. Almost all of it's nutritious properties can be substituted in other types of foods.

There are many web pages and books written on the subject of a very fulfilling and nutritious diet sans meat and dairy. There has even been research to suggest that over consumption of dairy products can lead to common health issues.

You don't even have to give it all up to make a difference....but there are many legitimate and good reasons to give it up.

Yes I am an offender to Mother Cow. I know it and I feel remorse. I will accept all of you accusations upon my head. You may criticize me all you want because I can say nothing to refute you.

However I will tell you straight up that spending ones whole child life in the hospital is no picnic.

Taste buds? Factually I don't like the taste of milk. Please forgive me but it seems that was an accusation that had no basis.

Your most insignificant servant eternally,

indulekhadasi

Again, he is speaking of commercial milk.

If there is really and truly NO alternative for you other than commercial milk...then I am sure that there is no blame on you.

It's the same scenario...if a person is locked in a room his/her entire life and only is given meat to eat. What do you do? Eat it or starve?

But if the person has other options other than the meat, he obviously has to make a conscious decision as to what is the best for his body and for the wellbeing of others around him.

Both scenarios are the same. This is about making good, conscious and well informed decisions for everyone's betterment.

I thank theist prabhu for changing my understanding in a previous debate. Although I still have milk occasionally I've reduced it, and will try and stop eventually, im much more concious about giving to cow protection projects now and repenting when i do drink milk.

If this was slavery of blacks or jews who were treated in a similar fashion we would boycott any product by them even if they would be killed anyway.

If these were our 'real' human mothers who were used for milk and then killed we would be outraged and would not even try to justify using that milk or product.

It seems that we are desensitised to these things from a young age. A child seeing a cow being killed would generally feel empathy and become vegetarian, a child seeing how a cow is treated when milked and then to see its calf killed and then it killed would feel empathy, however we like many other things have become dulled to it.

I thank theist prabhu for changing my understanding in a previous debate. Although I still have milk occasionally I've reduced it, and will try and stop eventually, im much more concious about giving to cow protection projects now and repenting when i do drink milk.

If this was slavery of blacks or jews who were treated in a similar fashion we would boycott any product by them even if they would be killed anyway.

If these were our 'real' human mothers who were used for milk and then killed we would be outraged and would not even try to justify using that milk or product.

It seems that we are desensitised to these things from a young age. A child seeing a cow being killed would generally feel empathy and become vegetarian, a child seeing how a cow is treated when milked and then to see its calf killed and then it killed would feel empathy, however we like many other things have become dulled to it.

We need to shaken out of our comfort zone sometimes to allow ourselves an opputunity to consider an issue from a new perspective. A little cold water on the face so to speak.

Our lives are meant to be progressive. We need to examine and reexamine all our actions and motives for our actions constantly taking nothing for granted. There is nothing we have been taught since birth that should just be accept at face value for afterall we are born as conditioned souls, conditioned by illusion.

I like your analogy of slavery being apllied to our mother cows. It is perfectly fitting and instructive.

My respects...

Our lives are meant to be progressive. We need to examine and reexamine all our actions and motives for our actions constantly taking nothing for granted. There is nothing we have been taught since birth that should just be accept at face value for afterall we are born as conditioned souls, conditioned by illusion.

I like this comment from the great theist

Just don't become too progressive, 'majority still rules' and if one is out of step with others way of thinking, they attract each other and come together like a pack of low life dogs to voice their two cents worth and collectively attempt to ban your way of correct thinking. In the fourth century the Catholic Church banned the concept of reincarnation that the Jews followed because the mundane Christians could not handle or deal with the facts of reincarnation. All talk of it was banned and anything written down was destroyed. If impersonal ideas about our foundation takes hold, then the true mission of Lord Caitanya will be polluted and put on hold until the correct undertanding of Krishna's creation is truly understood by real Guru's, Sanyasis and devotee.

Anyway milk is good but our heartless Godless society takes the milk then when there is no milk they cold bloodedly slaughter (murder) the Cow for its meat. There is a lot of heavy Karma out there!

I like this comment from the great theist

Just don't become too progressive, 'majority still rules' and if one is out of step with others way of thinking, they attract each other and come together like a pack of low life dogs to voice their two cents worth and collectively attempt to ban your way of correct thinking. In the fourth century the Catholic Church banned the concept of reincarnation that the Jews followed because the mundane Christians could not handle or deal with the facts of reincarnation. All talk of it was banned and anything written down was destroyed. If impersonal ideas about our foundation takes hold, then the true mission of Lord Caitanya will be polluted and put on hold until the correct undertanding of Krishna's creation is truly understood by real Guru's, Sanyasis and devotee.

Anyway milk is good but our heartless Godless society takes the milk then when there is no milk they cold bloodedly slaughter (murder) the Cow for its meat. There is a lot of heavy Karma out there!

Looks like Wal-Mart also agrees with Theist, no more selling of milk with artificial growth hormones such as recombinant bovine somatotropin.

Wal-Mart milk to have no artificial growth hormones

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/n20434858-walmart-milk/

reuters-logo.gif

Posted 9:03 am EDT

LOS ANGELES, Mar. 21, 2008 (Reuters) — Wal-Mart Stores Inc said on Thursday that its private-label Great Value milk is now being sourced only from cows that have not been treated with artificial growth hormones, such as recombinant bovine somatotropin (rbST).

The retailer said its Sam's Club chain also is offering milk selections from suppliers that have pledged not to treat cows with rbST.

While the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has said that milk from cows treated with rbST poses no risk to human health, Wal-Mart said it made the change in response to customer demand.

(Reporting by Lisa Baertlein; editing by Carol Bishopric)

Copyright Reuters 2008. See Restrictions for more details.

<!-- end story --> 2008-03-21T132233Z_01_NOOTR_RTRIDSP_3_SCIENCE-WALMART-MILK-DC.jpg

A sign marks Wal-Mart's headquarters in Bentonville, Arkansas June 1, 2007. Wal-Mart Stores said on Thursday that its private-label Great Value milk is now being sourced only from cows that have not been treated with artificial growth hormones, such as recombinant bovine somatotropin (rbST). REUTERS/Jessica Rinaldi