IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

Milk Production And Cruelty to Cattle

Rate this topic

But the bottom line is: in your world every cow born is killed as soon as someone gets hungry for it.

The answer is to reform the dairy industry. If we destroy it, then there is no infrastructure left to try to save at least some cows for some period in a humane way. All the farms will become ranches. It will be a major setback. All cows will die.

Reforming the dairy industry is all well and good...but the dairy industry has no intention of doing such a thing.

As long as people are willing to pay for their products, they will stop at nothing to supply them with what they want.

This is all about greed.

Also there is an overpopulation of cows at the moment. If we can condense their population to farms instead of factories...we will probably be more in balance as a whole.

Besides, if public sentiment is obviously geared toward asking for a more ethical milk industry...the industry will respond in kind. There has already been a reaction to this sentiment in the form of "organic" milk and other products such as "cage free" eggs. But we can do better than this.

There are ways of communicating to this industry...but if we all continue to buy their products as if nothing were wrong, they will not be inclined to change anything.

But the bottom line is: in your world every cow born is killed as soon as someone gets hungry for it.

Bottom line is you still haven't a clue what I am saying as evidenced by this silly statement.

My position is the same as Sridhar Raman's. Enough said. Accept it or not.

Wow, even though I am not completely vegan at the moment, I don't understand such hostility towards it.

It is odd especially when one hears so much about cow protection from the Hare Krsna's.

Hare Krsna

What is being done about the commercial milk cruelty? Is there a list of the offending brands we can boycott?

http://www.unhappycows.com/dairycows.asp

I will note that their saying that "drinking milk supports the veal industry" is just not logical.

Civilization in Canada: http://www.dairygoodness.ca/en/media/farm-to-consumer/canadian-dairy-farms/media-farm.htm

Animal Care

Canadian dairy farmers are committed to meeting high standards of welfare and care for their dairy animals. They support research at top Canadian universities to ensure that there are continuous improvements in their animals' comfort during shipping and sale, proper housing for cows and calves is provided, good feeding practices are implemented and animals receive the appropriate veterinarian care.

There are strict laws in Canada on the treatment and care of dairy cattle. Enforcement of animal care and handling regulations in each jurisdiction is a joint responsibility of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, provincial departments of agriculture and the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Dairy farmers in Canada also comply with the Code of Practice for the Care and Handling of Dairy Cattle. The code provides detailed guidelines on the key elements of responsible animal care like housing, feed and water, pastures, care of calves and young cattle, herd management and transportation.

Milk from Healthy Cows

Comfort, clean water and good nutrition are essential to maintain healthy cows. Healthy cows produce more high quality milk. Dairy farmers spend many hours every day with their cows (milking, feeding, monitoring their health and wellness) and know them as individuals. Twice daily milking provides an opportunity for farmers to give each cow individual attention and close observation to help prevent and detect illness.

No antibiotic residue or artificial growth hormones

veterinaire.jpg
Veterinarians help farmers maintain a healthy herd and may prescribe antibiotics if a cow is sick. When this happens, the milk of the cow treated with antibiotics is discarded. It is not sold for consumers.

All milk is tested before it is pasteurized and processed in dairy products to ensure there is no residue in the milk products Canadians drink and eat. If there is a trace of antibiotic residue, the milk is discarded at the farmer’s expense.

Injecting cows with artificial growth hormones to stimulate milk production is not allowed in Canada.

What is being done about the commercial milk cruelty? Is there a list of the offending brands we can boycott?

I will note that their saying that "drinking milk supports the veal industry" is just not logical.

Boycott all commercial milk. No milk from unprotected cows. If you buy milk from cows that are exploited then you are supporting the exploitation of cows. Plain and simple.

How can you not understand the connection between the dairy industry and veal production? Veal is exclusively infant male calves that have been sold to the slaughterhouse by the dairy industry because they will never produce milk.

I am glad that you are taking this seriously gHari. Once you see it for what it is you will never go back to dairy from unprotected cows.

Yeah the first link was good. The one from the Canadian dairy producers didn't tell the whole story. They still sell the male calves to be slaughtered for veal. And they still sell the dairy cows to become hamburger after their milk production declines after about five years.

Yeah the first link was good. The one from the Canadian dairy producers didn't tell the whole story. They still sell the male calves to be slaughtered for veal. And they still sell the dairy cows to become hamburger after their milk production declines after about five years.

The veal issue: if veal doesn't come from this source, it will come from the other.

I still see the truth: if I don't buy her milk, they will kill her now.

Will I withdraw my protection and force them to kill every cow? Ask the cow. Maybe in California she will say "Kill me now, you monster", but I chance to guess that the Canadian cow will opt for at least another five years at pasture. I would.

From Wikipedia:

The veal industry's support for the dairy industry goes beyond the purchase of surplus calves. It also buys large amounts of milk by-products. Almost 70% of veal feeds (by weight) are milk products. Most popular are whey and whey protein concentrate (WPC ) by-products of the manufacture of cheese. Milk by-products are sources of protein and lactose (energy). Skimmed milk powder, casein, buttermilk powder and other forms of milk by-products are used from time to time. Buttermilk is the liquid which remains after the fat in cream is turned into butter.

The veal issue: if veal doesn't come from this source, it will come from the other.

I still see the truth: if I don't buy her milk, they will kill her now.

Will I withdraw my protection and force them to kill every cow? Ask the cow. Maybe in California she will say "Kill me now, you monster", but I chance to guess that the Canadian cow will opt for at least another five years at pasture. I would.

Ridiculous reasoning. You position yourself as a cow protector by supporting the dairy industry.:rolleyes: What a sick joke.

From Wikipedia:

The veal industry's support for the dairy industry goes beyond the purchase of surplus calves. It also buys large amounts of milk by-products. Almost 70% of veal feeds (by weight) are milk products. Most popular are whey and whey protein concentrate (WPC ) by-products of the manufacture of cheese. Milk by-products are sources of protein and lactose (energy). Skimmed milk powder, casein, buttermilk powder and other forms of milk by-products are used from time to time. Buttermilk is the liquid which remains after the fat in cream is turned into butter.

So now I suppose you are going to tell us that the veal industry is also protecting cows by buying dairy products.

Civilization in Canada: http://www.dairygoodness.ca/en/media/farm-to-consumer/canadian-dairy-farms/media-farm.htm

Animal Care

Canadian dairy farmers are committed to meeting high standards of welfare and care for their dairy animals. They support research at top Canadian universities to ensure that there are continuous improvements in their animals' comfort during shipping and sale, proper housing for cows and calves is provided, good feeding practices are implemented and animals receive the appropriate veterinarian care.

There are strict laws in Canada on the treatment and care of dairy cattle. Enforcement of animal care and handling regulations in each jurisdiction is a joint responsibility of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, provincial departments of agriculture and the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Dairy farmers in Canada also comply with the Code of Practice for the Care and Handling of Dairy Cattle. The code provides detailed guidelines on the key elements of responsible animal care like housing, feed and water, pastures, care of calves and young cattle, herd management and transportation.

Milk from Healthy Cows

Comfort, clean water and good nutrition are essential to maintain healthy cows. Healthy cows produce more high quality milk. Dairy farmers spend many hours every day with their cows (milking, feeding, monitoring their health and wellness) and know them as individuals. Twice daily milking provides an opportunity for farmers to give each cow individual attention and close observation to help prevent and detect illness.

No antibiotic residue or artificial growth hormones

veterinaire.jpg
Veterinarians help farmers maintain a healthy herd and may prescribe antibiotics if a cow is sick. When this happens, the milk of the cow treated with antibiotics is discarded. It is not sold for consumers.

All milk is tested before it is pasteurized and processed in dairy products to ensure there is no residue in the milk products Canadians drink and eat. If there is a trace of antibiotic residue, the milk is discarded at the farmer’s expense.

Injecting cows with artificial growth hormones to stimulate milk production is not allowed in Canada.

The point is they still kill the cows. This is not about hormones, it is about cow protection.

Ridiculous reasoning. You position yourself as a cow protector by supporting the dairy industry.:rolleyes: What a sick joke.
None of it is very pleasant, but if they have no reason to keep a cow alive, they won't.

What will happen if no one buys dairy? If everyone becomes vegan then the only cows will be in zoos - and that may be better. What does Krsna want?

The reason that they will kill the cow is because it is too costly to keep her. Supply and demand...people want SO much milk from this industry that they do not have the room and capability to keep up with a "useless" cow that doesn't give milk. This also goes for the male calfs.

If the demand for such products were smaller...they would be able to keep more cows alive. That is if they don't kill them all for the meat eaters.

This is why being vegetarian is only half the battle.

If you saw this kind of exploitation being done to any other animal...or a human for that matter...would you want anything to do with it? Why is it justifiable for cows?

The thing is, if we boycott these factories, petition our government...and the companies that run these places. Let them know that we DON'T approve of their methods...and enough people back it up, then only can we change this awful cycle.

And of course...pray.

None of it is very pleasant, but if they have no reason to keep a cow alive, they won't.

What will happen if no one buys dairy? If everyone becomes vegan then the only cows will be in zoos - and that may be better. What does Krsna want?

The amount of cows on the earth is way out of proportion. They are made pregnant through artifical insemination. There should not be more cows then can be protected on small family farms. Do you think all these billions of cows would be running atound if it were not for the factyory farm process.

Right now what we have is a viscious cycle of humans slaughtering cows and then becoming cows to be slaughtered themselves as a result of the karma. It is madness to take part in such a cycle.

What does Krsna want?

Krsna wants His cows protected of course!

Even the small farms sell their male calves, perhaps not at birth but eventually.

I can remember the ten cows on my grandfather's farm. They were always happy. They'd come back from the fields on time to be milked. Then they'd walk into the barn to get milked of their own accord. I can't see killing them just because there is some treacherous synergy between the farmers and the flesh-eaters. It isn't the cow's fault. I won't kill her.

Even the small farms sell their male calves, perhaps not at birth but eventually.

I can remember the ten cows on my grandfather's farm. They were always happy. They'd come back from the fields on time to be milked. Then they'd walk into the barn to get milked of their own accord. I can't see killing them just because there is some treacherous synergy between the farmers and the flesh-eaters. It isn't the cow's fault. I won't kill her.

That's you because you are a devotee. The demons see the cow as in terms of profit only. Itr costs money to keep a male calve who will never produce their product so the sell them quickly.

It costs them money to keep a cow whose milk production has slacked off so they sell her to become hamburger and replace her.

I pay money for an orange or a subway ticket even though I know that the people who will share that money will use it to kill cows at McDonalds. It's a dirty world.

If I don't buy the orange I won't be implicated in their crime, however if I don't buy the milk I am killing the cow myself. Buying or not buying, I am still implicated as an accessory before the fact - by action or by inaction.

It's personal, between me and the cow. So I asked the cow in the pasture, and she said "If you can't take me home with you then please buy my milk so they won't slit my throat today .... then offer it to my sweet Lord Krishna". It isn't her fault. I won't kill her.

I pay money for an orange or a subway ticket even though I know that the people who will share that money will use it to kill cows at McDonalds. It's a dirty world.

Bad analogy. Buying milk is DIRECTLY buying a product that is the direct reason the cow is being kept enslaved and eventually slaughtered.

If I don't buy the orange I won't be implicated in their crime, however if I don't buy the milk I am killing the cow myself. Buying or not buying, I am still implicated as an accessory before the fact - by action or by inaction.

It's personal, between me and the cow. So I asked the cow in the pasture, and she said "If you can't take me home with you then please buy my milk so they won't slit my throat today .... then offer it to my sweet Lord Krishna". It isn't her fault. I won't kill her.

So you are now Dr. Doolittle and the cows are asking you to buy their milk? Enough of this silliness. Do what you like. Silence your conscience by what ever trick you choose. It's definetly between you Krishna and your victim.

You're the one proposing the mental platform, hotdog. And you're not very good at the mental platform at that - as lame as the Peta sentimentalists. Your way - they all die, now. Bottom line, real world - they all die now. It is very naive to think that fewer cows or calves will be slaughtered if the dairy demand shuts down.

The only change will be that those few cows who now get a few years of peace will be slaughtered much earlier like all the rest.

They wouldn't be killed so early if more people gave up eating meat. Cows would have more freedom and there would be less of a reason to keep so many of them at factories.

The list of consumers needs to be downsized. If you were to stop eating meat AND buying milk from these companies/factories, you would be one less person they would have to supply.

You're the one proposing the mental platform, hotdog. And you're not very good at the mental platform at that - as lame as the Peta sentimentalists. Your way - they all die, now. Bottom line, real world - they all die now. It is very naive to think that fewer cows or calves will be slaughtered if the dairy demand shuts down.

The only change will be that those few cows who now get a few years of peace will be slaughtered much earlier like all the rest.

I never realized you were this dull. I have nothing new to say to you. Just reread the thread at least three times and maybe you will catch on.

I never realized you were this dull. I have nothing new to say to you. Just reread the thread at least three times and maybe you will catch on.

You've never had anything to say to me, Theist.

They wouldn't be killed so early if more people gave up eating meat. Cows would have more freedom and there would be less of a reason to keep so many of them at factories.

The list of consumers needs to be downsized. If you were to stop eating meat AND buying milk from these companies/factories, you would be one less person they would have to supply.

Problem is that Prabhupada's order to introduce vedic farming, cow protection was considered as "deviant hallucination of a senile old man".

Till today this is repeated also at this forum, cow protection vedic farming is not pure devotional service but conditioned living in the mundane mode of goodness. However, the great acaryas always give tipps and tricks how to introduce madhurya-rasa, dancing with the gopis, through the back-door. Somehow present Vaishnavas couldn't appreciate this order, introduce varanashram, and here you have it, they have instead the scenario of closing lots of temples and as ISKCONites report, 99% of temple brahmins only officiate in a temple because they're getting paid. Nice anyabilasita-sunyam!

This you're getting when saying the order of a great acarya is hocus-pocus.

Salaries, not purity, keep ISKCON afloat

Haribol PADA. In todays Iskcon 99% of devotees that "live in the temple" are getting paid salary, and if they don’t get paid then they don’t do their "service." Thats the way the movement works today, it is a business, just the opposite from what Prabhupada said. Just another symptom of Iskcons deceased condition. Remember the 3rd offense? Thats why they are floundering the way they are. Ys, Varaha das.

15 Mär 2008, 09:00

<table class="blog" id="blog" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td width="10"> </td> <td> Varnasrama is a good idea

Haribol Prabhus! I’m enjoying reading and sending out quotes from Make Vrndavana, a book compiled by Gopinatha Acarya Prabhu in Australia. Apparently Gopinatha Acaraya was asked to leave ISKCON because of his understanding of Srila Prabhupada’s instructions, so he went to a library and started to compile the book.

It is mainly quotes about varnashrama taken from conversations with Srila Prabhupada. Gopinatha Acaraya slept in a park a night and ate discarded, outdated dairy products from a local store. When he was finished compiling the book, the ISKCON temple agreed that he could return. I was given a copy on Janmastami by Shyamasundara Prabhu, and have been really enjoying it. The quote that I sent out yesterday really surprised me because I had been told "Prabhupada said...corn is low-class, only meant for animals." Apparently all the "Prabhupada saids" are not necessarily true.

I’m going to be sending a daily quote to devotees that I know and who want to receive them. If you would like to be on the list, please send me a short list and let me know. (I’ll probably drop anyone who I don’t know personally, but keep devotees with whom I correspond on the list unless you tell me otherwise). Here’s today’s quote: Prabhupada: Keep this institution pure, not that we have to make it impure. Fighting, we want fighting. If we don’t get, it will remain vacant, but we don’t want to introduce impure. That should be a principle.

And: The next printing should be again to the original way.

And: Prabhupada: Yes. That I want. I...Everywhere I go and say, how these rascals...? So much land is lying, and these rascals are not developing. And they are making...What is that? Coal stone. Coal. They are interested with these bricks and stones, not green vegetables. Such a rascal government. Give them facility. We know how to do it. Annad bavanti butani parjanyad anna-sambavah, yajnad bhavati parjanyah. Let them engage in kirtana. There will be more water for gardening, and it will be moist, and then produce fodder for the animals and food for you. And animal gives you milk. That is Vrndavana life. And they are absorbed in their so-called opulence. Krsna has take birth. They are bringing so many nice, pleasant foodstuff, very will-dressed and ornamented. These are description. In the morning we are reading. How they are happy, the inhabitants of vrndavana with Krsna and living and cows. That I want to introduce. At any cost do it. And...Don’t bother about big, big buildings. It is not required. Useless waste of time. Produce. Make the whold field green. See that. Then whole economic question solved. Then you eat sumptuous. Eat sumptuously. The animal is happy. The animal does not give milk; let them eat and pass stool and urine. That is welcome. After all eating, they will pass stool. So that is beneficial, not that simple milk is beneficial. Even the stool is beneficial. Therefore I am asking so much here and.."Farm, farm, farm, farm..." That is not my program--Krsna’s program. Annad bhavanti bhutani. Produce green ness everywhere, everywhere. Vrndavana. It is not this motorcar civilization. If it has taken in his brain, then it is to be understood that he can do this plan. He’ll be able. Somebody said that he is eager to see me. Hm?

Ys, Anuttama

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Alternatives for Vegans

by Niscala dasi

Posted March 16, 2008

I used to think it was very hard to go vegan, as I was particularly addicted to creamy tastes and especially ice cream, as well as curd, etc. Then I discovered what a humble banana could do when it was blended with soy milk, as well as how much better tasting than milk are some of the soy milks you can get. I must confess I got totally addicted to soy milk and started drinking massive quantities of it, which caused me some health problems, so don't go that route! Rice milk is much safer if you happen to be a huge milk-alternative consumer, like me. I don't think you could overdose on it at all, as it is just rice and water and vegetable oil, basically. Soy milk is the one for taste though. For Australian devotees, try the Soy Milky brand, you will get addicted instantly, I can guarantee it. Or if it is available in your area, almond milk is both delicious and very nutritious. For the healthiest, yummiest, cheapest, and easiest ice cream recipe, just blend over-ripe (really, really over-ripe) bananas- with soy milk for a super creamy effect, or rice milk for a lighter snack. They should be the Cavendish (long-fingered) type, not the Lady Finger (short-fingered) type. Freeze them first for 2 days or so, taking the skins off first, and have the soy or rice milk cold too, then it will be actually icecream. Then try adding peaches or pears, fresh or from the can, but if they are fresh they should be over-ripe and squishy. It's a great way to use up all that fruit you have in the fridge that is almost ready to throw out.

Instead of curd, tofu is the way, with the firm stuff perfect for frying and the soft stuff perfect for crumbling. Olive oil is a very healthy alternative to ghee. Instead of butter on bread, try nut butters or tahini- bought in bulk they are cheaper too.

For a huge range of fantastic cheap recipes I recommend Vegan with a Vengeance. Actually there are so many good books out there, but if you are on a shoe-string and short of time, this one is great.