IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Malati dasi

Eight prayers glorifying Lord Siva, spoken by Sriman Mahaprabhu.

Rate this topic

Radhe Radhe

Siva ratri is tomorrow, Thursday, March 6 in Australia.

I thought that maybe we can imbibe the spirit of Mahaprabhu's prayers on this special occasion

Sri Sivastakam

(Eight prayers glorifying Lord Siva, spoken by Sriman Mahaprabhu.Recorded in Murari Gupta's "Sri

Caitanya Carita Mahakavya")

1)

namo namaste tri-daçeçvaräya

bhütädi näthäya mådäya nityam

gaìgä-taraìgotthita-bäla-candracüòäya

gauré-nayanotsaväya

"I repeatedly offer my obeisances unto you, the controller of the thirty primal demigods;unto you, the

original father of all created beings; unto you, whose character is gracious; unto you, whose head is

crested by the sickle moon arisen from the waves of the Ganga and unto you, who are a festival for

the eyes of the fair goddess Gauri."

2)

sutapta cämékara-candra-nélapadma-

pravälämbuda-känti-vastraiù

sa nåtya-raìgeñöa-vara-pradäya

kaivalya-näthäya våña-dhvajäya

"I offer my obeisances unto you, who are dressed in garments resembling molten gold, the moon,

blue lotuses, coral, and dark rainclouds; unto you, who bestow the most desirable boons on your

devotees by means of your delightful dancing; unto you, who are the master of the impersonalists and

unto you, whose flag bears the image of the bull."

3)

sudhaàçu-süryägni-vilocanena

tamo-bhide te jagataù çiväya

sahasra-çubhräàçu-sahasra-raçmisahasra-

saïjit-tvara-tejase'stu

" I offer my obeisances unto you, who dispells darkness with your three eyes - the moon, the sun and

fire; unto you, who causes auspiciousness for all the living entities of the universe and unto you,

whose potency easily defeats that of thousands of moons and suns."

4)

nägeça-ratnojjvala-vigrahäya

çärdüla-carmämçuka-divya-tejase

sahasra-patropari saàsthitäya

varäìgadä-mukta-bhuja-dvayäya

"I offer my obeisances unto you, whose form is brilliantly illuminated by the jewels of Ananta, the

king of snakes; unto you, who are clothed by a tiger-skin and thus radiate divine effulgence; unto

you, who sits upon a thousand-petalled lotus and unto you, whose two arms are adorned by lusterous

bangles."

5)

su-nüpurä-räìjita-päda-padma

kñarat-sudha-bhåtya-sukha-pradäya

vicitra-ratnaugha-vibhüñitäya

premänam evädya harau videhi

"I offer my obeisances unto you, who brings happiness to your servitors, as you pour on them the

liquid nectar from your two reddish lotus feet, which ring with charming anklebells. Obeisances unto

you, who is adorned with an abundance of gems - please endow me with pure love for Lord Hari."

6)

çré räma govinda mukunda çaure

çré kåñëa näräyaëa väsudeva

ity-ädi nämämåta-päna-mattabhåìgädhi-

päyäkhila-dukha-hantre

" 'O Shri Rama, O Govinda, O Mukunda, O shauri, O Shri krsna, O Narayana, O Vaasudeva!' I offer

my obeisances unto you, Lord Shiva, the monarch of intoxicated bee-like devotees, maddened by

drinking the nectar of these and other holy names of the Lord. Obeisances unto you, the destroyer of

all grief."

7)

çré näradädyaiù satataà sugopyajijïäsitä-

yäçu vara-pradäya

tebhyo harer bhakti-sukha-pradäya

çiväya sarva-gurave namo namaù

" I offer my respectful obeisances again and again unto you, who is forever enquired of confidentially

by Shri Narada and other sages; unto you, who also grants favors to them very quickly; unto you, who

bestows the happiness of Hari-bhakti; unto you, who creates auspiciousness and unto you, who is the

guru of everyone."

8)

çré gauré-netrosava-maìgaläya

tat-präëa-näthäya rasa-pradäya

sadä samutkaëöha-govinda-lélägäna-

praviëäya namo'stu tubhyam

"I offer my obeisances unto you, who are a festival of auspiciousness for the eyes of Goddess Gauri;

unto you, who is the monarch of her life-breath; unto you, who is capable of bestowing

transcendental rasa and unto you, who is expert in forever singing songs of the pastimes of Lord

Govinda with great longing."

9)

etat çivasyäñöakam adbhutaà mahat

çåëvan hari-prema labheta çéghram

jïänam ca vijïänam apürva-vaibhavaà

yo bhäva-pürëaù paramaà samädaram

" A person, filled with loving feelings, who hears with rapt attention this wonderful eight-fold prayer

to Lord Shiva, can quickly gain Sri Hari-prema as well as transcendental knowledge, the realisation of

that knowledge, and unprecedented powers."

Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra

The great mantra dedicated to Shiva as Mrityunjaya is found in the Rig Veda. It is called the Maha Mrityunjaya mantra, the Great Death-Conquering mantra. It is a mantra that has many names and forms. It is called the Rudra mantra, referring to the furious aspect of Shiva; the Tryambakam mantra, alluding to Shiva's three eyes; and its is sometimes known as the Mrita-Sanjivini mantra because it is a component of the "life-restoring" practice given to the primordial sage Shukra after he had completed an exhausting period of austerity. The Maha Mrityunjaya mantra is hailed by the sages as the heart of the Veda. Along with the Gayatri mantra it holds the highest place among the many mantras used for contemplation and meditation.

OM Tryambakam yajamahe

Sugandhim pushti-vardhanam

Urvarukamiva bandhanan

Mrityor mukshiya mamritat

OM. We worship and adore you, O three-eyed one, O Shiva. You are sweet gladness, the fragrance of life, who nourishes us, restores our health, and causes us to thrive. As, in due time, the stem of the cucumber weakens, and the gourd is freed from the vine, so free us from attachment and death, and do not withhold immortality.

Pranam

Om Namah Shivaya

Karpoor gowram karoona-avtaaram, samsaar saaram bhujagendr haaram

Sadaa vasantam hridayaar vinde, bhavam bhavaanee sahitam namami

Our salutations to Lord Shiva, whose complexion is like that of camphor, who is the incarnate of compassion and who is the essence of the world. He wears the king of serpents as His mala and forever dwells in the lotus-like heart. We bow to Shiva and Parvati.

Vande deva Uma patim sur-guroom, vande jagat kaaranam

Vande pan-nag bhooshanam mrigdharam, vande pashunam patim

Vande soorya shashaanka vanhi-nayanam, vande mukunda priyam

Vande bhakt-janaa shrayam ch vardam, vande shivam Shankaram

My obeisance to the Lord who is the spouse of Uma, he is the supreme among Gods, who is the primordial cause of the Universe. Obeisance to Shiva, whose ornaments are the serpent and the moon, the Lord of all animals and whose eyes are the sun, moon and fire. Obeisance to Shankar, the beloved of Mukund and who is the benefactor and the refuge of all devotees.

Jai Shree Krishna

Pranam LoveroftheBhagavata ji

Aum namah Shivaya

Shiva the Auspicious, my Koti Koti Pranam

On this day of Maha Shivratri may he bestow his grace on all of us.

Karacharana kritam vaakkaayajam karmajam vaa .

Shravananayanajam vaa maanasam vaaparaadham.

Vihitamavihitam vaa sarvametatkshamasva .

Jaya jaya karunaabdhe shriimahaadevashambho .. 5

Whatever karma i have committed with my hands, feet, voice, body, actions, ears, eyes, or mind, whether prohibited by the scriptures or not, please forgive them all. Hail! Hail! O ocean of compassion! O great god! O benevolent lord!

Aum namah Shivaya

In the Shiv Purana, Lord Shiva explains the five - syllable Mantra Aum Namah Sivaaya affords protection from the fear of disillusions, defiled by unimaginable and inexpressible faults, mental verbal and physical.

Jai Shree Krishna