IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
CCC

Can a Siksa Guru empower you for making disciples?

Rate this topic

Please provide evidence how you found out about the actual financial situation of the maths at that time.

Well I was living at SCSMath in Nabadwip when the first western devotees started to arrive.

We had no running water (seventy year old people used to bathe from water in buckets from the well)

Dirt pathways everywhere (no concrete or marble)

Prashadam cooked on coal fires

Srila Sridhar Maharaj used to personally manage the money and pay for salt etc on a daily basis

Floods used to come regularly..

No regular electricity...

No telephone

Prashad with grubs in it

---

they were the best days of my life and I would be happy to live and die a million lifetimes just so I could go back there for a few years in each lifetime.

I tried to make this point before and I will try to again and hopefully recover the theme of this thread at the same time.

There are different levels of siksa gurus one will meet in their lifes. Srila Prabhupada was also just as poor yet because of his determination to fullfill the instructions of his guru and faith in those instructions he made no calculations on why he could not fullfill that desire to preach Krsna consciousness in the west held by his guru, he only sought to fullfill it.

That same faith and determination was not in his Godbrothers. That is shown by the offering of various reasons derived by calculations by his Godbrothers on why they could not help him.

The difference was not one of laksmi it was one of faith and determination to fullfill that desire of Bhaktisiddhanta. Afterall Prabhupada's determination and faith fructified in far more than a temple in New York. And in short order we see the benefit has returned to India a million fold. Not bad for a palm full of rupees and a bag of cereal huh? So much for the calculating mentality.

This doesn't mean that many of his Godbrothers were not great devotees in their own right. But even at the higher levels their are distinctions of faith and empowerment.

I for one will never see Prabhupada and his Godbrothers on the same level as preachers of Mahaprabhu's message. I only saw Srila Prabhupada come to the west to save low class beings like myself from the eternal fire of samsara. Everyone else had their calcilations to show why they could not come help us.

We are very thankful to you Srila Prabhupada for your selfless and intense efforts to deliver us. As for myself I am sorry and ashamed I have been too selfish and stupid to cooperate properly and serve you in your mission of spreading the holy names. I can only pray that I improve in the future.:pray:

And considering how we the targets and recipients of the mercy of His Divine Grace have screwed up his mission and failed to maintain what he left for us (let alone increase it) I don't see where any of us have the right to offend his Godbrothers who are surely greater than us for the way they have lived their lives.

Prabhupada was a standout amongst elevated devotees. No one on the planet could match the faith and love he showed in and for Krsna.

So it seems obvious to me that if one wants to love Krsna with intense fervor and help Him save fallen souls he should seek that empowerment from Srila Prabhupada even today. And if one does that in truth those that associate with him and share his motivation willalso become empowered to do the same.

And this all with or without excess ceremony and ritual.

Badger, California: June 15, 2006

Tridandisvami Sri Srimad Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaja

[srila Narayana Maharaja:] You should not doubt me, or think that I should call him "Prabhupada." I cannot call him "Prabhupada." Our Gurudeva (Srila Bhakti Prajnana Kesava Gosvami Maharaja) and other disciples were also "Prabhupada" by qualification. They never took this title, however, because they wanted to reserve it for their Gurudeva, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura.

...It is not a fault of the disciples to call their spiritual master "Prabhupada." Disciples have full right to do so. In the case of Srila Bhaktivedanta Svami Maharaja allowing himself to be called "Prabhupada," this is his prerogative, and by this he wanted the whole world to know the glories of Srila Prabhupada Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura. Obviously he did not want to offend his god brothers, yet some were offended. Still, by his most glorious services to his Srila Prabhupada, the whole world knows his Prabhupada's glory.

...I have glorified my siksa-guru, much more so than if I would simply call him "Prabhupada." Simply calling, "Prabhupada! Prabhupada!" is not glorifying the spiritual master. Actually, a disciple who knows the heart of the spiritual master can really glorify him, even if he does not use the title "Prabhupada." I have so much regard for him – as much as I have for my diksa-guru. If I am not calling him "Prabhupada," there is no harm in that.

June 27, 2006

Hong Kong

[The devotees asked more questions a few days later, in Hong Kong:] [Question:] You always say that our Prabhupada is omniscient – he is sarva-jna and tri-kala-jna.

[srila Narayana Maharaja:] But for the Guru's human-like pastimes he may appear to forget something; he acts as if he doesn't know. A realized Guru may overlook what is happening and what will happen. An example of this is Srila Sukadeva Gosvami. He had nothing to do with all the happenings of this world. Guru may sometimes control the situation, and sometimes he does not control.

[Question:] You said that our Srila Prabhupada can never make a mistake, and we also believe that. Sometimes a few of his god-brothers and their followers criticized him because he allowed the word "Prabhupada" to be used for him.

[srila Narayana Maharaja:] He was independent to do anything. He was not under anyone's control, and that was not an offense. All disciples can call their Gurudeva "Prabhupada," no harm. This has been written in the Srimad-Bhagavatam, in the explanation of Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura, that Srila Jiva Gosvami is called "Prabhupada" and Srila Santana Gosvami is also called "Prabhupada." This has been written, so it is all right. My disciples may also call me "Prabhupada," and there is no harm in that. But I have chosen to tell my disciples not to do this, because our Gurudeva has told us not to.

[Question:] That is a clear answer – that Guru is independent and in touch with Krsna.

[srila Narayana Maharaja:] Yes. I am also independent. I may tell my disciples to call me "Prabhupada," because it is stated in sastra, but I cannot do so, because of what I have been told by my Gurudeva.

Suchandra, we are still waiting for direct evidence. Or maybe it's time for you to swallow your pride and admit that you don't have any.

Since you and your old crony stonehearted already repeatedly called me an idiot and other nice things, why do you want me to post anything? Once more, as already said, I can live at best being called an idiot by Beggars like you and wish you only the best.

[Posted February 4, 2008]

Srila Prabhupada Speaks About His Gaudiya Matha Godbrothers

Pratyatosa das

forwarded to us by Yasodanandan das, 1 Feb 2008

Stern warnings from the Founder-Acharya to his disciples <hr size="2" width="40%"> Dear Prabhus, Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada! Please keep in mind, while reading the quotes below, that Srila Prabhupada has never retracted any of them. Some extremely self motivated people might say that he apologized to his Godbrothers on his death bed, but how can this be considered any more than just polite talk, or setting an example for his disciples of how to try and make amends before leaving this material realm? Also, I have never heard of any tape recording which documents this supposed apology, and it's not in the VedaBase. Where is the proof? Even if Srila Prabhupada did apologize to some of his Godbrothers, how could this be considered a retraction, especially for the April, 1974 letter to Rupanuga, which is a signed document, and which contains the instruction to all of his disciples, "This is my instruction to you all." No contradictory instruction that comes even close to this direct, authoritative, signed document has ever been produced.

I can understand someone getting a little bewildered about our relationship with Srila Prabhupada's Godbrothers before his letters and conversations were published, but what excuse does anyone have now? Any of Srila Prabhupada's so-called disciples who still insist on associating with Srila Prabhupada's Godbrothers or Godnephews after reading the quotes below are obviously not very sincere or very serious about following Srila Prabhupada's instructions.

Please keep in mind that most of the following quotes are from letters which are signed by Srila Prabhupada. Signed letters have always been the method that Srila Prabhupada used to pass down his most important practical, day-to-day management instructions to his temple presidents, GBC men, and other disciples.

I firmly believe that for a disciple of Srila Prabhupada to associate with, or hear from, any member of the Gaudiya Matha is very displeasing to Srila Prabhupada. Even if there is some doubt about this, why take a chance? Better to "avoid them."

"YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY INTIMATE CONNECTION WITH THEM"

Srila Prabhupada's Letter to Pradyumna 02/17/68:

Regarding Bhakti Puri, Tirtha Maharaja, they are my God-brothers and should be shown respect. But you should not have any intimate connection with them as they have gone against the orders of my Guru Maharaja.

"NO POSSIBILITY OF COMPROMISE"

Srila Prabhupada's Letter to Narayan Maharaja 9/30/69:

Regarding the 92 section case against the Gaudiya Math, I don't think there is any possibility of compromise. But the Baghbazar party [sridhara Maharaja's group] and Mayapur party [Tirtha Maharaja's group] have unlawfully usurped the missionary institution of Srila Prabhupada, and whenever they will talk of a compromise, it means another complication.

"MY FOURTH-CLASS GODBROTHERS"

Srila Prabhupada's Letter to Hayagriva 9/14/70:

Disturbance is caused by ignorance; where there is no ignorance, there is no disturbance. The four Sannyasis may bark, but still the caravan will pass. There is every evidence that they are influenced by some of my fourth-class Godbrothers.

"THEY WILL BE ENVIOUS"

Srila Prabhupada's Letter to Yamuna 11/18/70:

Regarding the Gaudiya Math, our position has nothing to do with them. They cannot do anything and if somebody does something, they will be envious. That is the nature of third class men.

"MY GODBROTHERS GAVE ME ONLY DEPRESSION"

Srila Prabhupada's Letter to Gurudas 8/29/72:

Do not be depressed. All along my godbrothers gave me only depression, repression, compression—but I continued strong in my duty. So never mind there is some discouragement, continue with your work in full enthusiastic Krishna Consciousness attitude of service.

"THEY HAVE ALL BECOME SHUDRAS"

Srila Prabhupada's Letter to Niranjana 5/21/73:

Our big, big godbrothers in India, they could not preach Lord Gauranga's name all over India. They are simply inclined to criticize me, that my students call me Prabhupada. They could not do anything practical and tangible. They are satisfied with a temple and a few disciples begging alms for the maintenance of the temple. So, we can understand that they have all become
shudras
. How can they have interest in <cite>Bhagavad-gita</cite>. Although some of them have been born in
brahmana
families, but by quality are all
shudras

"GAUDIYA MATHA BOOKS SHOULD NOT BE CIRCULATED IN OUR SOCIETY"

Srila Prabhupada's Letter to Sukadeva 11/14/73:

Regarding the Gaudiya Math books being circulated there, who is distributing? Who is sending these books? The Gaudiya Math does not sell our books, why we should sell their books. Who has introduced these books? Let me know. These books should not at all be circulated in our Society. Bhakti Vilas Tirtha is very much antagonistic to our society and he has no clear conception of devotional service. He is contaminated. Anyway, who has introduced these books? You say that you would read only one book if that was all that I had written, so you teach others to do like that. You have very good determination.

"THIS IS MY INSTRUCTION TO YOU ALL"

Srila Prabhupada's Letter to Rupanuga 4/28/74:

You are right about Sridhara Maharaja's genuineness. But in my opinion he is the best of the lot. He is my old friend, at least he executes the regulative principles of devotional service. I do not wish to discuss about activities of my Godbrothers but it is a fact they have no life for preaching work. All are satisfied with a place for residence in the name of a temple, they engage disciples to get foodstuff by transcendental devices and eat and sleep. They have no idea or brain how to broadcast the cult of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. My Guru Maharaja used to lament many times for this reason and he thought if one man at least had understood the principle of preaching then his mission would achieve success. In the latter days of my Guru Maharaja he was very disgusted. Actually, he left this world earlier, otherwise he would have continued to live for more years. Still he requested his disciples to form a strong Governing body for preaching the cult of Caitanya Mahaprabhu. He never recommended anyone to be
acharya
of the Gaudiya Math. But Sridhara Maharaja is responsible for disobeying this order of Guru Maharaja, and he and others who are already dead unnecessarily thought that there must be one
acharya
. If Guru Maharaja could have seen someone who was qualified at that time to be
acharya
he would have mentioned. Because on the night before he passed away he talked of so many things, but never mentioned an
acharya
. His idea was
acharya
was not to be nominated amongst the governing body. He said openly you make a GBC and conduct the mission. So his idea was amongst the members of GBC who would come out successful and self effulgent
acharya
would be automatically selected. So Sridhara Maharaja and his two associate gentlemen unauthorizedly selected one
acharya
and later it proved a failure. The result is now everyone is claiming to be
acharya
even though they may be kanistha adhikari with no ability to preach. In some of the camps the
acharya
is being changed three times a year. Therefore we may not commit the same mistake in our ISKCON camp. Actually amongst my Godbrothers no one is qualified to become
acharya
. So it is better not to mix with my Godbrothers very intimately because instead of inspiring our students and disciples they may sometimes pollute them. This attempt was made previously by them, especially Madhava Maharaja and Tirtha Maharaja and Bon Maharaja but somehow or other I saved the situation. This is going on. We shall be very careful about them and not mix with them. This is my instruction to you all. They cannot help us in our movement, but they are very competent to harm our natural progress. So we must be very careful about them.

"THEIR PROPOSAL FOR COOPERATION IS A MYTH"

Srila Prabhupada's Letter to Acyutananda 6/8/74:

You should not write anything to Madhava Maharaja's camp. You may have talked many things with Mangala Niloy but why write him in black and white. The letter must not be sent. Their policy has been all along to suppress me and take credit for himself. Their proposal for cooperation is a myth. They haven't done anything which is cooperative. You know in a recent article they managed to write in such a way that Madhava is doing the world movement and we are his subordinate. From the beginning that has been their mentality. So there is no possibility of cooperation with them. Rather you should avoid strictly meeting with them. They are not after preaching but material gain and reputation and adoration. Otherwise why they are non cooperating with me? So no cooperation is possible. Do not think or indulge in loose talks. Be careful always. Let us do the duty of propagation sincerely and seriously on our own principles. Krsna and Srila Prabhupada Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura are our only hope and they and helping us. If anything thing has to be done it is to be talked on the higher level between Madhava Maharaja and myself, but I know his mentality is different and there is no possibility of cooperation.

"SMASHEDÑON ACCOUNT OF PERSONAL AMBITIONS"

Srila Prabhupada's Letter to Karandhar 10/8/74:

In India some of the important members they have collected huge amounts in the name of the Society and spent it luxuriously. I wanted you all my experienced disciples should manage the whole institution very cleverly without any personal ambition like ordinary materialistic men. The Gaudiya Math institution has become smashed, at least stopped its program of preaching work on account of personal ambitions.

"MY GODBROTHERS ARE CONCERNED WITH POLITICS"

Srila Prabhupada's Letter to Subala 10/15/74:

My other Godbrothers they are concerned with litigations, politics, and diplomacy, so what is the pracara? As far as I am concerned I have the blessings of my guru maharaj. I do not need anything else. That is how I went to your country, just to try to carry out his order. By his blessings it has come out successful.

"THEY ARE NOT EVEN ORDINARY HUMAN BEING"

Srila Prabhupada's Room Conversation with a Reporter in Johannesburg 10/16/75:

PRABHUPADA: <cite>Krishna shakti vina nahe krishna name prachara:</cite> "Without Krishna's special power of attorney, nobody can preach His name." (<cite>Chaitanya-charitamrita</cite>). So these rascals, Godbrothers, they are envious that...What he has written? Bon Maharaja. Just see what kind of men they are. They are not even ordinary human being. They are envious of me, and what to speak of make a judgment by estimation? They're envious. Enviousness is immediately disqualification of Vaishnava, immediate. He is not a human being. <cite>Paramo nirmatsaranam satam</cite>. This <cite>Bhagavatam</cite> is meant for the person who is completely not envious. That is the beginning. Why a Vaishnava should be envious for anyone? Everyone is working according to his
. He is trying to rectify him, that "Be out of these clutches of
bhakti
." Why he should be envious? <cite>Vancha-kalpatarubhyas cha kripa-sindhubhya eva cha</cite>. A Vaishnava should be like ocean of mercy to reclaim the fallen souls. That is Vaishnava's qualification. So Vaishnava should be envious? Just see. So these persons, they are not even human being, what to speak of Vaishnava. Vaishnava cannot be envious. Vaishnava should be: "Oh, my Lord's name is being broadcast. He is getting, giving so much service to make Krishna known." That man has appreciated, that "All these spiritual leaders, they are deriding. You are the only man... You are... It enthuses us, give us more encouragement, that you are keeping intact, love of Krishna." This is an appreciation. Why he should be envious? He should be, rather, very much enthused that "This single man is keeping Krishna all over the world." And everyone is deriding. Even Gandhi is killing Krishna. Dr. Radhakrishnan is killing. Their only business is to kill Krishna. He is also doing that, our, this Bon Maharaja. He never speaks of Krishna. His rascal, that Institute of Indian Philosophy, nobody goes to urine(?) there. We see practically. And our temple is always filled up, five hundred men. And he is trying for the last forty years. He is simply planning: "This will be playground. This will be this ground. This will be this ground." And it is becoming jungle. Still, he is so envious, black snake. So one circular letter should be issued to all our center, that "Any Bon Maharaja or anyone, his representative, should not be received." They are envious. Yes. Quoting that. We have got several complaints like that. Satsvarupa also complained. Sometimes our order was cancelled by Bon Maharaja's propaganda.

"IN THE GAUDIYA MATHA POLITICS IS STILL GOING ON"

Srila Prabhupada's Letter to Gurukrpa, 9/30/75:

Why is there this politics? This is not good. If politics come, then the preaching will be stopped. That is the difficulty. As soon as politics come, everything is spoiled. In the Gaudiya Math the politics is still going on. My Guru Maharaja left in 1936, and now it is 1976, so after 40 years the litigation is still going on. Do not come to this.

"ORDERS THAT ALL MY DISCIPLES SHOULD AVOID ALL OF MY GODBROTHERS"

Srila Prabhupada's Letter to Visvakarma, 11/9/75:

So I have now issued orders that all my disciples should avoid all of my Godbrothers. They should not have any dealings with them nor even correspondence, nor should they give them any of my books or should they purchase any of their books, neither should you visit any of their temples. Please avoid them.

"THEY ARE DRESSING LIKE VAISHNAVA, AND THEY ARE SO ENVIOUS"

Srila Prabhupada's Room Conversation in Bombay 1/8/77:

Prabhupada: There are similarly men also. Unnecessarily they are envious, offensive, unnecessary. They cannot tolerate others' opulence. Just like our Godbrothers. They are envious. What I have done to them? I am doing my business, trying to serve my Guru Maharaja. But they are envious because I am so opulent. I have got so much fame, so many influence, so much influence all over the world. Everyone is praising me about... That is ignorance. And this is regrettable because they are posing themselves as Vaishnava. Ordinary man can do that, but they are dressing like Vaishnava, and they are so envious. That Tirtha Maharaja, unnecessarily he was envious, whole life fighting, fighting, fighting in the court and died. Simply planning.

"THESE PEOPLE ARE ENVIOUS"

Srila Prabhupada's Room Conversation in Vrindavana 5/24/77:

Prabhupada: If somebody thinks, "Oh, here is a snake with jewel. Let me embrace him," no, no, no, it is very ferocious. Even it is jewel there, it is ferocious. Similarly, these people are envious. Although they have become so-called Vaishnava, they are ferocious. They have not acquired the qualification of Vaishnava. Simply vesopidin(?), by dress. "[Krishna consciousness] is simple for the simple, but it is very hard for the crooked." (Initiation lecture by Srila Prabhupada, Boston 12/26/69)

The "simple" disciple of Srila Prabhupada will simply follow his or her spiritual master's instructions, and refuse to associate with any of Srila Prabhupada's Godbrothers or Godnephews. The "crooked" disciple, on the other hand, finds so many excuses to try and rationalize such forbidden association.

Your servant,

Pratyatosa Dasa

Since you and your old crony stonehearted already repeatedly called me an idiot and other nice things, why do you want me to post anything?

Let's clear up two things for the record. You call me Beggar's "old crony." I am old, I guess, at 60, but I don't have a clue about who Beggar is, or even his or her gender, so I don't know whether we know each other or not. More to the point, though, please show me where I have ever called you an idiot even once, much less repeatedly. If you can show me that evidence, I owe you an apology because I try to avoid name calling. If you cannot show me that evidence, you owe me an apology.

As for your evidence, I'll read it later and see if it warrants any comment.

Yours in service,

Babhru das

I guess I should just stay away from people who criticize Srila Sridhar Maharaj

If I point out the depth of corruption in Iskcon pre-samadhi and the fact that the corruption was known about at the highest level, people will say I'm offensive.

And how many times has this offensive letter to Rupanuga been published on this site and by "Prabhupada men".

I wish I'd never heard of this site Audarya and I will not log in again.

Hare Krishna

Devotees ONE and TWO are Jamadagnya and Kanupriya.

The homosexual swami mentioned is Subala.

Upendra was a homosexual too.

First, a correction. Subala is not gay; the sannyasi referred to was Sudama, who was bisexual.

Second, and perhaps more important, could you explain what this conversation has to do with this thread? We've gotten so far away from the original question that I don't see a thread at all any more.

I guess I should just stay away from people who criticize Srila Sridhar Maharaj

Not a bad idea. It might not be a bad idea to stay away from people who criticize anyone who has dedicated their lives to preaching the glories of the holy names of Krishna.

And how many times has this offensive letter to Rupanuga been published on this site and by "Prabhupada men".

The letter itself is not necessarily offensive. When someone mentioned it to Srila Sridhar Maharaj, he reportedly chuckled and said something like, "He has spared not even me." I think he understood that there was a context for Srila Prabhupada's comments. However, the letter has been taken out of its context and used to commit and perpetuate innumerable offenses. That does not please Srila Prabhupada or his men. And those who do so ignore the many times Srila Prabhupada praised Srila Sridhar Maharaja. When asked of the fate of Tirtha Maharaja (whom he and so many of his godbrothers criticized on many occasions) on his passing, Srila Prabhupada averred that he had gone back to Godhead because of his dedication to maintaining his guru maharaja's mission.

On one morning walk, when one of his disciples started criticizing Bon Maharaja, Srila Prabhupada stopped him cold: "You cannot say such things. You have no business." We would all do well to remember the example of Ramachandra Puri.

When Prabhupada left, suddenly they all came and said, Prabhupada is our siksa guru, we are Prabhupada's friends, etc. Now there're parts of the world were ISKCON clearly failed at running examplary Vaishnava communities and other GM branches gained predominance by picking up ex-ISKCONITES. But do they say, "Where would we be today if Prabhupada did not have so many "ordinary" disciples to do the gruntwork?" The opposite is true, Prabhupada is declared as not bona fide. Although it may be hard, Gaudiya-Vaishnavism should at least stick to one point, not shooting itself an own goal with useless politics.

Your statements are clearly about things supposedly said or written after November 14, 1977. Now when asked to give evidence that Math leaders who are disciples of Srila Prabhupada's godbrothers are saying or writing that Srila Prabhupada is not authorized you pull out selected statements by Srila Prabhupada from the 70's about the disqualification of his godbrothers. So clearly you have still given no evidence that what you allege is factual and true. Obviously it is the senior disciple of Srila Bhakti Prajnan Kesava Mararaj (Srila Prabhupada's sannyasa guru), Sripad B.V. Narayan Maharaj to whom you are refering. He is the one who says frequently and in print that Srila Prabhupada is his siksa guru. But whatever camp your in, everyone knows that Narayan Maharaj was in charge of Prabhupada's room at the Radha Damodar Mandir during the early ISKCON years. Later he put Srila Prabhupada in samadhi. He was the disciple of a godbrother whom Prabhupada saw as guru. See Srila Prabhupada's lecture in Seattle in 1968 upon hearing that Srila Kesava Maharaj entered nitya lila. Another prominent acarya, Sripad Bhakti Sundar Govinda Maharaj of the Sri Caitanya Saraswat Math [disciple of Srila Bhakti Raksak Sridhar-dev Maharaj], actually lived with Srila Prabhupada and was the first distributor of Back to Godhead Magazine other than Prabhupada himself. At that time in the late 40's Srila Prabhupada was translating the Gita into English (the manuscript which was later stolen) and would teach Govinda Maharaj Bhagavad Gita directly from his work after each day's translation. So these claims of a close relationship with Srila Prabhupada by these disciples of godbrothers is an historical fact which also can be verified by third parties. You are repeating GBC and Rtvik propaganda which is all hearsay with absolutely no hard evidence. When asked for evidence you tactic is to change the subject in a subtle way which some do not see. At the end of his manifest lila Srila Prabhupada admitted that "the war is over", he said that he had only criticized his godbrothers for preaching purposes.

Exactly. But on what basis do we make such a judgment. For instance a charismatic person can attract thousands of followers, even Hitler did that. Thousands may even be chanting under his inspiration and that's all good, but perhaps none develop genuine love of God. Another may have only one or two students but in his association they rise to Krishna prema.

It's quality and not quantity. Anybody who can count can judge quantity. But it's a rare person who can separate genune diamonds from those man made and fewer still who can determine the finest of diamonds from amongst the real.

So accepting the principle of siksa guru as paramount one must then distinquish between the various siksa gurus in one's life looking for the one who is the most advanced.

By again how are we to judge? If we direct our faith to Caitya-guru first and solely in this matter and are sincere He will guide us true and protect us from being mislead.

There is NO viable alternative.

CC Adi-lila ch.1text 98-101

<B> TEXT 98

</B>
dui bhai hrdayera ksali' andhakara

dui bhagavata-sange karana saksatkara

SYNONYMS

dui--two; bhai--brothers; hrdayera--of the heart; ksali'--purifying;andhakara--darkness; dui bhagavata--of the two bhagavatas; sange--bythe association; karana--cause; saksat-kara--a meeting.

TRANSLATION

But these two brothers [Lord Caitanya and Lord Nityananda] dissipate the darkness of the inner core of the heart, and thus They help one meet the two kinds of bhagavatas [persons or things in relationship with thePersonality of Godhead].

TEXT 99

eka bhagavata bada----bhagavata-sastra

ara bhagavata----bhakta bhakti-rasa-patra

SYNONYMS

eka--one; bhagavata--in relation to the Supreme Lord; bada--great;bhagavata-sastra--Srimad-Bhagavatam; ara--the other; bhagavata--inrelation to the Supreme Lord; bhakta--pure devotee; bhakti-rasa--of themellow of devotion; patra--the recipient.

TRANSLATION

One of the bhagavatas is the great scripture Srimad-Bhagavatam, and the other is the pure devotee absorbed in the mellows of loving devotion.

TEXT 100

dui bhagavata dvara diya bhakti-rasa

tanhara hrdaye tanra preme haya vasa

SYNONYMS

dui--two; bhagavata--the bhagavatas; dvara--by; diya--giving;bhakti-rasa--devotional inspiration; tanhara--of His devotee;hrdaye--in the heart; tanra--his; preme--by the love; haya--becomes;vasa--under control.

TRANSLATION

Through the actions of these two bhagavatas the Lord instills the mellows of transcendental loving service into the heart of a living being, and thus the Lord, in the heart of His devotee, comes under the control of the devotee's love.

TEXT 101

eka adbhuta----sama-kale donhara prakasa

ara adbhuta----citta-guhara tamah kare nasa

SYNONYMS

eka--one; adbhuta--wonderful thing; sama-kale--at the same time;donhara--of both; prakasa--the manifestation; ara--the other;adbhuta--wonderful thing; citta-guhara--of the core of the heart;tamah--darkness; kare--do; nasa--destruction.

TRANSLATION

The first wonder is that both brothers appear simultaneously, and the other is that They illuminate the innermost depths of the heart.

Sri Srimad Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaja

My Siksa Guru and Priya Bandhu

My gurudeva, om visñupäda Srila Bhakti Prajnäna Kesava

Gosvämi Mahäräja, would often speak to me about his

godbrother, parama-püjyapäda Sri Abhaya Caranäravinda

Bhaktivedänta Prabhu. At that time, before his sannyäsa, we

affectionately called him Abhaya Caranäravinda Prabhu, or

Prabhu. My gurudeva always told me how, from the very

beginning, this godbrother was so dear to their Srila

Bhaktisiddhänta Sarasvati Thäkura. He explained to me that his

Srila Prabhupäda had always highly and intimately regarded

Abhaya Caranäravinda Prabhu and had requested him to write

articles for the Harmonist magazine and other publications. Their

Guru Mahäräja had especially ordered him to preach in the

English language, and to distribute widely this knowledge of Sri

Krsna Caitanya and His teachings in the Western countries.

According to my gurudeva, Abhaya Caranäravinda Prabhu

was a very great personality, very yuktivädé (good at giving

logical arguments), and always nirvika (bold). He was a preacher

of satya (truth) who was not afraid of anyone. I had already heard

so many times about him from my gurudeva and from others. I

had heard how he was such a close friend to Gurudeva, such an

excellent writer, and such a sincere and qualified devotee. At that

time I had not yet seen him, but seeing by ears is even more

powerful than seeing by eyes.

Abhaya Caranäravinda Prabhu was a bosom friend of my

gurudeva ever since they first met in the association of Srila

Bhaktisiddhänta Sarasvati Prabhupäda’s Gaudiya Maöha in 1922.

During those years, he was a grhastha and was said to be very

beautiful. In 1940, after the departure of Srila

Bhaktisiddhänta Sarasvati Prabhupäda, there was turmoil in the Gaudiya Matha. One party wanted to arrest some of the senior Vaisnavas, and cases were filed in the Calcutta court. At that time, our gurudeva, then known as Vinoda-bihäri Brahmacäri, was akiïcana

(without material possessions) and he travelled to Prayäga,

Allahabad. There he stayed at the Rüpa Gaudiya Matha for a few

days. Abhaya Caranäravinda Prabhu, who had his family

residence and business in Allahabad, invited our gurudeva to

come and stay in his home as a guest, and they lived together

there for the next four or five months. During this extended time,

they became very near and dear to each other. They always

discussed Bhagavad-gitä and many other subjects concerning

guru-sevä for their Srila Prabhupäda and his mission.

When my gurudeva lived with him for those months in

Allahabad, Abhaya Caranäravinda Prabhu organized much

preaching for them everywhere in that city. He had cultivated

numerous associates from his pharmaceutical business, and

knew many educated, qualified people. He also arranged for my

gurudeva to give extensive lectures on Vedänta. Together they

defeated the mäyäväda philosophy, and also several influential

Catholics and other Christians; those persons were favorably

impressed by the bona fide arguments and siddhänta so expertly

presented.

Abhaya Caranäravinda Prabhu appreciated this preaching so

much. He would often tell me, “Your gurudeva is so logical, and

he is such a great philosopher. That is why I have selected for

myself a very best friend like your gurudeva.”

My gurudeva was then called Sri Vinoda-bihäri Brahmacäri

Krti-ratna. The name Krti-ratna, which means “one who is a jewel

among managers,” was awarded to him by Srila Bhaktisiddhänta

Sarasvati Prabhupäda because he managed the Gaudiya Matha so

expertly. This was before my gurudeva took sannyäsa. In his

heart there was a desire to show Vedänta-sütra as bhakti-sütra,

and he quoted slokas of Srimad-Bhägavatam to prove this. He

would always state, “Wherever there is any sign of mäyäväda,

bhakti cannot be preached in full force. So we have to remove

mäyäväda at the root.” Abhaya Caranäravinda Prabhu also liked

this idea very much. “We must kick out mäyäväda,” he would

often say. Both of them had this understanding; they were very

united in their preaching.

Gurudeva gave the name “Bhaktivedänta” to those of us who

took sannyäsa from him, and when they formed an organization

they called that Samiti “Gaudiya Vedänta”, which denotes that

Vedänta is synonymous with bhakti.

After the divine disappearance of their Srila Prabhupäda, Srila

Bhaktisiddhänta Sarasvati Thäkura, and after the Gaudiya Matha

institution had broken apart, my gurudeva, together with Abhaya

Caranäravinda Prabhu and Narottamänanda Brahmacäri (later

called Srila Bhakti Kamala Madhusüdana Mahäräja), filed the

establishment papers for the Gaudiya Vedänta Samiti. This was

done on April 7, 1940, the day of akñaya trétéyä, in a rented house

at 33/2 Bosapada Lane, Calcutta.

Although they separated from the political upheaval taking

place within their Guru Mahäräja’s institution, they did not give

up Sril Bhaktisiddhänta Sarasvati Prabhupäda or his mission and

siddhänta. They wanted to re-establish his bona fide ideas and

instructions, but they did not give up his Gaudiya Matha.

Therefore, the names of the Mathas established by the Gaudiya

Vedänta Samité were Devananda Gaudiya Matha, Uddharana

Gaudiya Matha, Kesavaji Gaudiya Matha, and many others.

Our First Meeting

In 1947, I was in Calcutta as the personal servant to my

gurudeva, and one day there was an inauguration of a new

branch of the Gaudiya Vedänta Samiti. It was a large assembly

and many Vaisnavas were present there. During the lecture given

by Gurudeva, a grhastha devotee came in at the back door. Upon

seeing him, Gurudeva stopped speaking and asked me to bring

him forward. That devotee humbly hesitated to come forward,

but my gurudeva ordered that he come all the way to the front.

Gurudeva showed great respect to him and insisted he sit next to

him on the platform. I looked up at Gurudeva, silently

questioning, “Who is this devotee?” It was very rare that he had

done this with others. Afterwards he told me, “This is Abhaya

Caranäravinda Bäbu, my dear godbrother. He is a very special

disciple of Srila Bhaktisiddhänta Sarasvati Prabhupäda. He is very

humble and qualifed. You should take note of him, you should

hear carefully from him, and you should serve him.”

At that time I would cook breakfast, lunch, and any other

meal for Abhaya Caranäravinda Prabhu and many of the other

senior Vaisnavas. I would also wash their clothes and clean for

them. He would watch me, and became pleased with me. He was

happy to see my service for my gurudeva and asked me many

questions about myself, like where I was from and where and

how I had joined the matha. We spoke together, and he was

satisfied with my replies. I was also very impressed with him, and

attracted to him. This is when I began my service to him in my

heart and in my work.

I am thinking now how very fortunate I was to have met him

long ago, and to have served him. We had so much affection for

each other that I cannot explain my heart sufficiently. He stated

in one of his letters to me that from the first time he saw me, there

was affection between us and that we shared a transcendental

relationship of spontaneous love. He wrote that, as his Srila

Prabhupäda had great faith and love for him from the beginning

he similarly had love and well-wishing for me. (See Endnote 3.)

[3. Srila Prabhupäda’s Letters from America to Srila Näräyana

Mahäräja. Return address c/o Gopal Agarwal from Butler, Penn.

Sept. 28, 1966. (pg. 15)

I received your letter dated September 20, 1966, on time. Our

relationship is certainly based on spontaneous love. That is why

there is no chance of us forgetting one another. By the mercy of

guru and Gauranga, may everything be auspicious for you. This

is my constant prayer. From the first time I saw you I have been

your constant well-wisher. At his first sight of me, Srila

Prabhupäda also saw me with such love. It was in my very first

darçana of Srila Prabhupäda that I learned how to love. It is his

boundless mercy that he has engaged an unworthy person like

me in fulfilling some of his desires. It is his causeless mercy to

engage me in preaching the message of Sri Rüpa and Sri Raghunätha.]

He was a powerful speaker, and his lectures were most

influential. Discussing translations from Srmad-Bhägavatam by

first giving word-for-word meanings, he would then present

thorough explanations; and what he spoke was beautiful. In

those days there were many senior disciples of Srila

Bhaktisiddhänta Sarasvati Prabhupäda, such as Srila Sridhara

Mahäräja, Sril Tirtha Mahäräja, Srila Srauti Mahäräja, Srila Naimi

Mahäräja, Srila Yayavar Mahäräja, Sri Audalomi Mahäräja, Srila

Vaikanas Mahäräja, Srila Puri Mahäräja, Srila Giri Mahäräja and

Srila Mädhava Mahäräja. All these disciples were like tigers and

thunderbolts, being well-versed in siddhänta. They would often

come to visit my gurudeva, and I was able to serve them. Though

Abhaya Caranäravinda Prabhu was then a grhastha living outside

any matha, he was considered by all to be extremely qualified.

He was very bold and never compromised with anyone regarding

the established siddhänta – never. He defeated and convinced

everyone by his realized preaching.

In those days I often saw him associating with his

godbrothers, and he had many deep friendships in all the temples

where they assembled – in Calcutta, Navadvépa, Chinchura,

Allahabad, Bombay and Delhi. He was often meeting with

godbrothers, traveling to different maöhas for celebrations and

discussions, and he always behaved towards them with

affectionate dealings. When his godbrothers gathered, he would

show respect to them because he was a grhastha at that time.

And, even though he was married then, all the sannyäsis and

senior brahmacäris highly regarded him because he was a

learned scholar and a potent, brave preacher. He was known by

all to be abhaya, fearless.

Editorial Sevä

Our magazines, Gaudiya Patrika and Bhägavata Patrika,

were started in 1953. At that time, Gurudeva requested Abhaya

Caranäravinda Prabhu, “I want to establish publications in

Bengali and other languages, and I would especially like you to

write articles for them.” Earlier he had written articles for the

Harmonist, and now he continued to write many wonderful

essays, Gitä purports, etc. He wrote so marvelously that everyone

praised him. He challenged all who were opposed to pure bhakti

at that time, especially the ‘Mürgé Mission’. He called the

Rämakrishna Mission ‘the Mürgé Mission’, because the members

ate chicken. In fact, they ate flesh, eggs and many other

abominable things.

Vivekananda and his Rämakrishna Mission were very

prominent in those days. They were renowned by the public,

who thought, “Oh, these are such high-class devotees. In all of

India, only they are following the Vedas, and all others are not.

The Gaudiya Mission and others are not Vedantic.” Abhaya

Caranäravinda Prabhu wrote a two-part article about the Mürgés.

He began with the first part; and when the second part was also

printed, all but the Mürgés were astonished and convinced. Many

requested him to write more articles like these, which called for

the reform of religious institutions.

At that time the president of India was Dr. Radhakrishnan. He

was very scholarly and his English was quite erudite, but he was

world-famous as a very bold mäyävädi. He wrote an article in

English saying that the soul in Krsna’s body was God, but Krsna’s

body was not God. He said that, as with our body and soul, there

was also a difference between Krsna’s body and soul.

Guru Mahäräja was not here then, but Abhaya Caranäravinda

Prabhu was and wrote a very powerful article in response. He

quoted many strong examples from sästra and declared to the

President, “Those who speak like this are rascals. In Krsna there

is no difference between deha and dehé, the body and its

possessor. All His qualities, pastimes and names are

transcendental. If one does not have a very pure and realized

guru, he cannot understand this idea. You have no guru; you are

reading sästra yourself.

The rest is at:

http://www.bvml.org/SBNM/books/siksa-guru-priya-bandhu.pdf

Not a bad idea. It might not be a bad idea to stay away from people who criticize anyone who has dedicated their lives to preaching the glories of the holy names of Krishna.

But this is what I'm saying on and on, as soon someone quotes Prabhupada, there's an agenda telling, stay away from people who're offenders.

Prabhupada: You can cheat, but it will not be effective. Just see our Gaudiya Matha. Everyone wanted to be guru. A small temple and "guru." What kind of guru?

We haven't got to manufacture. To manufacture ideas is troublesome. Why should we take the trouble? And as soon as you want to manufacture something to my...., that is DANGEROUS. ...That you are singing every day, "what our guru has said, that is our life and soul." ...As soon as this POISON will come-suppress guru and I become Brahman-everything FINISHED. Spiritual life is finished. Gaudiya Matha finished, ...VIOLATED the orders of Guru Maharaja.

...And as soon as you manufacture, fall down. This manufacturing idea is very, very dangerous in spiritual life. ...Our mission is to serve bhakta visesa and live with devotees. NOT THAT YOU TAKE THE PLACE OF GURU. THAT IS NONSENSE, VERY DANGEROUS. Then everything will be spoiled. As soon as you become AMBITIOUS to TAKE THE PLACE of GURU-gurusuh nara matih. That is MATERIAL DISEASE.

What I don't see here is the relevance to the original question. I guess you've successfully hijacked the thread.

I also don't see your evidence that I've repeatedly called you an idiot, or that I'm an "old crony" of Beggar's. If you like, I can string together some quotations from Srila Prabhupada that may give a different perspective, at least on Srila B. R. Sridhar Maharaja.

It is amazing how a certain class of Prabhupada disciples accepts the principle of "last instruction most important" when it comes to their guru's succession, and not when it comes to Prabhupada's relationship with his Godbrothers. This is just a typical cheating attitude. Prabhupada reconciled with his Godbrothers in the end but many of his disciples simply continue with the old pointless feud, like Hatfields and McCoys. Actually, there are just Hatfields. Most of the McCoys never participated in the feud.

SRILA PRABHUPÄDA’S DISAPPEARANCE LILÄ

Visiting Him in His Last Days

Srila Swämi Mahäräja was becoming very ill, and our

Sukhänanda Prabhu was offering him naturopathic massages

with Ganges water. Before he went abroad to England,

Sukhänanda Prabhu came to Våndävana for two hours every

morning and evening for fourteen days to massage him, and

these massages helped him. We also sometimes visited and spoke

with him then. Once we came at a time when he had hardly eaten

or even taken water for many days. Still, he affectionately greeted

us and, as he had always done with all, he lovingly offered us the

opulent mahä-prasädam that had been prepared and offered by

his disciples. He exclaimed how nicely his young students were

trying to serve their gurudeva and Krsna. Even though he himself

had eaten nothing at all for so long, he made sure, in such a

careful and affectionate way, that each of us took prasäda to our

full satisfaction.

Some godbrothers and associates were paying visits to him in

his room around this time. Akiïcana Krsnadäsa Bäbäji Mahäräja,

Srila Bon Mahäräja, Srila Bhakti Pramoda Puri Mahäräja, Srila

Bhakti Vaibhava Puri Mahäräja, Indupati Prabhu (from Srila

Mädhava Mahäräja’s temple), Änanda Prabhu, and many more

devotees came to see him. We also came several times to be

with him, along with our brahmacärs like Sesasäyi Prabhu,

subhänanda Prabhu, Premänanda Prabhu, and sometimes others.

There are tape recordings of some of these conversations, but

most of them were in Bengali or Hindi.

Just before Kärtika month in early October, when our annual

Vraja Mandala parikramä was about to begin, Parama-püjyapäda

Srila Swämi Mahäräja sent for me. He requested his senior

sannyäsés and many others, “I want to meet with Näräyana

Mahäräja.” A few of them then came by car and requested me,

“Srla Prabhupäda wants you, so please come now.” I was in the

midst of giving evening discourse to our parikrama party, but I

came immediately.

When I arrived in his room at Krsna-Balarama Mandira, he was quite silent. Some boys were singing the Hare Krsna mahämantra, and some sannyäsis and other disciples were silent.

After some time he opened his eyes and indicated with his eyes

for me to come close. He was so enthusiastic before his death –

not his death, no – his entering krsna-lilä. He was not speaking,

but when he saw me he showed his happiness. The devotees

were chanting Hare Krsna very softly in Srila Swämi Mahäräja’s

special tune, and all could see that he was not speaking now.

I offered pranäma to him, säntyä pranäma (standing and

silent), because I saw that there were many persons present and

no space for me to offer full pranäma. When he saw me he at

once said, “Oh, Näräyana Mahäräja has come.” He wanted me to

take a seat on his bed. He tried to sit up, but I put my hands on

motioned for me to come nearer to his bed and said, “I want to

speak to you.” He wanted me to sit closer to his ear, so he told

some disciples, “Bring a chair,” and I sat on it near to his ear.

First he began to weep; his heart was melted. From the core

of his heart he told me, “Näräyana Mahäräja, can you excuse me?

I feel that there is cause for you to forgive me. For the sake of

preaching I have told my disciples some things, which perhaps I

should not have said. Also I spoke very strongly about my

godbrothers in one letter, which was then sent to everyone. I said

that we are preaching and others are not, that they are kanistha adhikäris

who don’t preach but are idle. I said that none of the

Gaudiya Vaisnavas helped me – that they only take mahäprasädam

and sleep.”

At this time, many of his sannyäsi disciples were watching.

His words and mood implied to me many things about how he

had wanted to encourage his young students. As we are careful

with babies, so he had sometimes instructed some of them not to

mix with his godbrothers and the other Gaudiya Vaiñëavas. To

save his newcomers from becoming disturbed or confused, he

sometimes told them not to visit anywhere else. One reason was

that a few of his godbrothers had done some wrong things. Also,

his disciples did not understand the Indian ways of indirect,

subtle meanings. Also, he did not want them to lose heart due to

criticism from any Indian Vaisnavas who may not have

understood their sensitivities and his style of training them.

Srilla Swämi Mahäräja had been a member of the Gaudiya

Matha for a very long time and he knew the regulations and

siddhänta – but he could not teach all his disciples everything

in just a few years. He had been cultivating many Vaisnava

Westerners from different countries, but they still lacked our

Vedic culture and sadäcära (devotional habits). He had given his

young disciples instructions to avoid other Vaisnavas, just to

protect them from becoming discouraged. He would say,

“Although they are not fully trained, their devotional attitude is so

nice. I am praying to Guru Mahäräja and the rüpänuga-guruvarga

to bless them all. Sri Caitanya Mahäprabhu, Sri Nityänanda

Prabhu, and Sri Baladeva Prabhu will surely give them their

mercy.”

Srila Swämi Mahäräja was remembering all these things, and

he now requested me, “Kindly tell the other Vaisnavas that I have

made this offense, and to please excuse me. I have so much

sorrow for this.” I told him, “You are my siksä-guru and a pure

Vaisnava. I know that you cannot do anything that is not in the

line of bhakti. You have done these things only for the purpose

of serving your gurudeva and Caitanya Mahäprabhu, and we also

do this. All of us are indebted to you; there is no question. We

know the prediction: “prthiviti äche yata nagarädi gräma.” You

have performed a miracle; you have spread His glories

everywhere. We don’t think that you have done anything wrong,

so I have nothing for which to excuse you. But I will relay your

request to the senior Vaisnavas. You are my sikhä-guru; whatever

instructions you give me I will follow with absolute sincerity.”

Tears were very sweetly falling from his eyes. He was acting in

such a humble way, as if he was not a good Vaisnava; but actually

he was like Srila Narottama däsa Thäkura and Srila Bhaktivinoda

Thäkura.

He continued, “Sri Srimad Bhaktisiddhänta Sarasvati Thäkura

Prabhupäda ordered all of us to preach in Europe and America.

That was his strong desire. His other desire was that we all work

together to preach. I didn’t waste a single moment. I tried my

best, and to some extent it has been successful.” His voice was

choked with emotion as he continued to speak: “If we can work

conjointly, then, as Sr Caitanya Mahäprabhu declared, this

sankirtana movement has great possibilities.”

Then he told me, “I want you to help take care of my

disciples. I want them to be good and qualified devotees. If they

come to you, please care for them.” Many of his disciples were

nearby, so he softly whispered in Bengali, “When I went to the

West, I caught so many monkeys in my net. Really, they are very

expert in quarreling among themselves like that. They are still

very young and untrained. So I request you that after my

departure you will help them in every respect.” Considering the

implications of this order from my siksä-guru, I hesitated. Then

he grasped both of my hands in his own, looked deeply into my

eyes and asked me to promise to help. Therefore I agreed,

saying, “I promise that according to my ability and my bhaktisiddhänta-

tattva (understanding of the conclusive statements of

bhakti), I will always be ready to help them as you request.”

Then I told him, “I want to say something to them.” Srila

Swämi Mahäräja at once became inspired and called to them,

“Oh, you should all come near and hear Näräyana Mahäräja.

Please take into your hearts what he is speaking.” Then I told

them all, “Don’t think that Srila Swämé Mahäräja is leaving this

world. Gurudeva is eternal. You are fortunate to have such a

bona fide guru and Vaisnava. You should try to preach his

mission more and more enthusiastically. If you are after material

things, you will find yourselves quarreling over name, fame and

worldly gain. You will not be following his teachings. You will

not be following his mission; you’ll be doing wrong. So don’t

pursue your own self-interest. Give up all these things. To serve

Srila Swämi Mahäräja, and to preach his mission, you should be

united with all the devotees. Don’t quarrel with others over a

small point. Don’t expel anyone from this mission by finding

small faults. Try to behave like friends, with brotherhood, and

then you can preach. If you have difficulty with any of these

things, then, as Srila Swämi Mahäräja has requested me, you can

come to me and I will try to help you from the core of my heart.”

They all listened to me then, and this was recorded on a cassette

tape.

Srila Swämi Mahäräja turned his head slowly, looking over

the devotees as they gathered in closely. Then he slowly lifted his

hand, as if to call them to attention, and said, “Listen to Näräyana

Mahäräja. Don’t fight amongst yourselves. I have given all

direction in my books.” Then he lowered his hand.

After this Srila Swämi Mahäräja told me, “I pray to you that

you will put me into my samädhi with your own hand. I don’t

want to take samädhi from anyone else’s hands. I think you are

the proper person. After my samädhi, arrange to celebrate my

mahotsava separation festival. You should give some amount of

money to all the seven temples in Vrndävana and to all the

Gaudiya Mathas. It depends upon you how much – 201 rupees,

1001 rupees – according to your discretion, whatever you

recommend. They should all hear these instructions and arrange

to pay. Arrange a mahotsava festival also in Mathurä and invite

all the senior Vaisnavas to the feast. Invite all the Vaisnavas in

Vrndävana. Do this for me, and again I am telling you that you

should always help my devotees.”

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->

<!--[endif]-->

<!--[endif]-->

<!--[endif]-->

<!--[endif]-->

<!--[endif]-->

It is amazing how a certain class of Prabhupada disciples accepts the principle of "last instruction most important" when it comes to their guru's succession, and not when it comes to Prabhupada's relationship with his Godbrothers. This is just a typical cheating attitude. Prabhupada reconciled with his Godbrothers in the end but many of his disciples simply continue with the old pointless feud, like Hatfields and McCoys. Actually, there are just Hatfields. Most of the McCoys never participated in the feud.

Srila Narayana Maharaja

Srila Swämi Mahäräja was remembering all these things, and

he now requested me, “Kindly tell the other Vaisnavas that I have

made this offense, and to please excuse me. I have so much

sorrow for this.” I told him, “You are my siksä-guru and a pure

Vaisnava. I know that you cannot do anything that is not in the

line of bhakti. You have done these things only for the purpose

of serving your gurudeva and Caitanya Mahäprabhu, and we also

do this. All of us are indebted to you; there is no question. We

know the prediction: “prthiviti äche yata nagarädi gräma.” You

have performed a miracle; you have spread His glories

everywhere. We don’t think that you have done anything wrong,

so I have nothing for which to excuse you. But I will relay your

request to the senior Vaisnavas. You are my sikhä-guru; whatever

instructions you give me I will follow with absolute sincerity.”

Tears were very sweetly falling from his eyes. He was acting in

such a humble way, as if he was not a good Vaisnava; but actually

he was like Srila Narottama däsa Thäkura and Srila Bhaktivinoda

Thäkura.

I have never seen anyone change their point of view when debating, er...strike that.... I mean arguing over this question.

So here is a suggestion if I may. Why not accept the fact that there are others out there that disagree with your position and always will and drop the subject from public discussion.

I would like to repeat the fact that this discussion is not fit for public discourse.

This thread was started by a person CCC who asked a very important question which went to the heart of how Krsna consciousness is passed on. Was that question too mundane for some of you? This subject matter that has beeen superimposed over CCC's question is nothing but gossip. And because it deals with high level personalities has the potential of only causing harm to the devotional creepers of all who come in contact with it.

I have my views on the topic which I won't discuss here on this thread out of respect for the thread starter and questioner CCC. This is one area where moderators are needed. Actually we should be able to do this ourselves without bothering them but it's not happening.

I also know I have been as guilty as this as anyone else and considering the large number of posts have no doubt done it way more than anyone here. I need to change my behavior in this regard and so do others but it is especially mportant to jettison this topic pronto. IMO

Wish this were true. Here we have a real huge propaganda machine going, the GM announcing, everything what Prabhupada set-up is destined to collapse. They actually believe all these desasters that happened in this part of the world can only happen when there's no link to the disciplic succession, things are cut off from the spiritual powerhouse so to speak. They actually say that the only explanation is that Prabhupada wasn't properly authorized.

Actually I've been waiting to see if anyone would catch this. The reason that Suchandra cannot support his claim is because the above argument is in fact, the argument of the Babaji Class against Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur not a Gaudiya Math criticism of Srila B.V. Prabhupada. The Babajis say that since Srila Saraswati did not accept the diksa line coming through Vipin Vihari to Srila Bhaktivinonda Thakur and that since he and his followers do not give siddha pranali at the time of diksa then they are "cut off" and have no parampara. Maybe next Suchandra can accuse Prabhupada's godbrothers and their disciples of burning down the Reichtstadt or bombing Pearl Harbor, for that would be in keeping with his mood and his attention to detail.

That same faith and determination was not in his Godbrothers. That is shown by the offering of various reasons derived by calculations by his Godbrothers on why they could not help him.

With all due respect to Theist Prabhu, I do not think you can paint all of Srila Prabhupada's godbrothers with one brush. Without being disrespectful to any of them (we should offer them due respect as they are part of our guru varga) , I think it is safe to say, different godbrothers were situated on different levels. There were some especially staunch pure devotees such as Srila Sridhar Maharaj, Srila Kesava Maharaj, Srila Madhava Maharaj, Srila B.P. Puri Maharaj, Srila B.S.Goswami Maharaj, etc. I do not like to think that pure devotees think with a calculative spirit.

This doesn't mean that many of his Godbrothers were not great devotees in their own right. But even at the higher levels their are distinctions of faith and empowerment.

I can understand the distinction in empowerment but I am not so sure about faith. Once a devotee is considered 100% pure (0% material desire, or topmost uttama adhikari/situated in svarup siddhi), how can there be a difference in faith? Of course there can be difference in one's rasa (relationship) with Krishna.

We would do well to meditate upon the following by Srila B.R. Sridhar Maharaj:

Some devotees have a preaching nature, whereas others may be of the

secluded type, but that does not mean that all who are of the secluded

nature are lower and all who are of the preaching nature are higher.

We can't say that. They should be judged according to their surrender

and acceptance of Krsna. Both Gaura lila and Krsna lila are the

highest in Goloka, but if we are bold enough to assert that Gaura lila is

higher than Krsna lila because of its magnanimous dealings, because it

is distributing itself, it should be given more importance. In that

consideration, it is superior to Krsna lila. And if we are to follow very

strictly this point, then of course, we may have to appreciate the

preaching section of the Vaisnavas, considering that they are doing the

most beneficial work in the universe (loka hitaya ca).

"The preachers are more fortunate because through them Krsna is

trying to release many fallen souls." A relative form of vision may be

seen in that way: "Gaura lila is higher than Krsna lila. Why? Because

it is spacious and broad; it is available to everyone. And in Gaura lila,

Krsna is distributing himself to the fallen." This is something in

addition to Krsna lila. Then, whenever we find that good fortune has

made someone an agent to raise up the fallen souls, we may have

some greater appreciation for him. Some justification for considering

the preachers to be more fortunate may come if we consider that

Krsna is better when preaching then when playing within his own

group.

Naturally, we will have preference for the preachers who have brought

Krsna consciousness here amongst us. Krsna has chosen certain

devotees as his agents to preach about him to the fallen souls. And that

is more desirable for us, in our present position. So, if we develop our

perspective in that line, of course we can say that fallen souls like us

will give more stress to those who are the cause for our delivery. To

think that some agents are preferable to others because the symptom of magnanimity is more easily traceable in them is a relative view, inthe ultimate context of reality.

Although sometimes we may judge Vaisnavas according to their

different activities, we are not always correct, because a devotee is

chosen for a particular service by the Lord, and whatever the Lord

wants to do through him is done, by His will. This is the underlying

principle: it is His selection. Sometimes the selection comes to A,

sometimes to B, and sometimes to C. We are all at the disposal of the

Lord's infinite will, and according to His sweet will, according to how

Krsna wants to utilize us, our activities will be successful. That is the

absolute consideration. We cannot fail to connect success with the

medium; there is also some value in that, but we must consider that

Krsna is there in the background. We must always understand that the divine will, the highest will, is working through us. So, we should notbe extreme in judging a devotee according to external considerations.

I for one will never see Prabhupada and his Godbrothers on the same level as preachers of Mahaprabhu's message. I only saw Srila Prabhupada come to the west to save low class beings like myself from the eternal fire of samsara. Everyone else had their calcilations to show why they could not come help us.

This is your prerogative, and you are entitled to see things this way. But to me, judging from Srila Sridhar Maharaj's discussion quoted above, this appears to be a relative vision, not an absolute vision.

My apologies if I have hurt your feelings. I am only discussing these things in a spirit of friendship and open discussion.

With all due respect to Theist Prabhu, I do not think you can paint all of Srila Prabhupada's godbrothers with one brush. Without being disrespectful to any of them (we should offer them due respect as they are part of our guru varga) ,...

This is a quote from my post above.

This thread was started by a person CCC who asked a very important question which went to the heart of how Krsna consciousness is passed on. Was that question too mundane for some of you? This subject matter that has beeen superimposed over CCC's question is nothing but gossip. And because it deals with high level personalities has the potential of only causing harm to the devotional creepers of all who come in contact with it.

As you can see I am warning that because we are discussing About "high level personalities" such as you have named that this gossipy back and forth is especially dangerous. IOW we should take a respectful stance out of caution.

I think it is safe to say, different godbrothers were situated on different levels.

And that is the very theme I have stressed several times in this thread Gaurahari. Perhaps you are coming in to this conversation late. This is the point I have used to try and redirect this thread back to the original question about siksa gurus. Devotees are not monolithic and are at different levels. You can reread my posts if you care to.

I did not paint his SP Godbrothers with a single brush.

There were some especially staunch pure devotees such as Srila Sridhar Maharaj, Srila Kesava Maharaj, Srila Madhava Maharaj, Srila B.P. Puri Maharaj, Srila B.S.Goswami Maharaj, etc. I do not like to think that pure devotees think with a calculative spirit.

This subject matter that has beeen superimposed over CCC's question is nothing but gossip.

Ditto that, Theist prabhu, just want to add one thing. What is a hommage.

Wikipedia: "Hommage is generally used in modern English to mean any public show of respect to someone to whom one feels indebted."

Now, it is a great deal to put some small hommage on the website of Srila Puri Maharaja's temple in Vienna, run by ex-ISKCONites, that Srila Prabhupada brought the Sankirtan movement to the West? Same what guests are telling, Prabhupada's name is not only banned on the website(www.radha-govinda.net), but also at their temple program. And those trying to point out lack of genuine Vaishnava etiquette, labled as aparadhis. What up? Also note how Prabhupada's go-raksha vision is immediately classified as mundane varnashram, as rejected by Caitanya Mahaprabhu.

What is a hommage.

Wikipedia: "Hommage is generally used in modern English to mean any public show of respect to someone to whom one feels indebted."

Like so many other words never really knew that definition.

Then let me pay my hommage to the Moon His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada by whose mercy even this gutter dweller resident of kali-yuga now has hope of one day dancing with God.