IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

Disinherited

Rate this topic

Our local law says, parents can only disinherit their child in case of severe breach of parent child relationship. Rascaldom like to be out to kill someone or having a criminal record. Now there's again another case of parents having disinherited their son because he joined Vaishnavism. My reply to that devotee was to file an appeal against that last will. After all isn't becoming a Vaishnava not also benefitting the deceased parents? And they in return out of ignorance go against their own child? Why put up with that?

dze1j9.jpg

"The British Columbia Court of Appeal has said that a parent may disinherit an adult child if the parent has rational and valid reasons for disinheriting the child. In Kelly v. Baker (1996), 15 E.T.R. (2d) 21 (BCCA), for example, Mr. Justice Finch (now CJBC) at paragraph 58 held that a parent could disinherit her adult child “... if there were valid and rational reasons at the time of her death - valid in the sense of being based on fact; rational in the sense that there is a logical connection between the reasons and the act of disinheritance.”

Let us weigh this out. HE/She is inheriting the shelter of the Supreme Parents and disinherting from his temporary (shelter) parents.

Personally I think he is getting a better deal.:idea:

He/She should just give thanks to his temporary parents for giving him/her the opportunity to receive Love, nourishment, education and shelter and the chance to grow up in a secure environment.:pray: ANd also tell them that your door will always be open to them. Do not leave with bitterness but with joy.

Sometimes in this life we do not give thanks to our parents while they are alive But now the person who is being disinherited, can give thanks to them while they are still alive.

Remember we all will have to leave our material shelters one day. :crying2: Plz remember we are all refugees.

I see this as a very special mercy of the Lord a chance to surrender whole heartedly to our only refuge.:pray:

Hare Krsna/Krishna

Jay Sirla Prabhupada

I am a Vaisnava who has had to disinherit my karmi Children--all four of them.

The level of twisted logic that eminated from discusions with them was mind boggling!

Every statement I made to my ex-children was instantly converted into some kind of svengali diatribe meant to attract them into a cult that would steal their blood, sweat, tears and mind--so it's: "pay your taxes and die kid".

Their mother not only fled Vaisnavism, she turned the children into flesh eaters, atheists, tatoo & tongue-stud wearing atheists without a clue as to what the purpose of life might be. All in time for high-school graduation with a banner reading "9/11 Terrorist War now showing at your local television set".

I will fully reveal my mind on this topic asap as time allows.

ys,

Bhaktajan

PS: Remember, 'Dog bites man' is common place. But, 'Man bites dog' sells advertisment space in all our local newspapers.

The idea that people who become devotees should sever the ties with their "karmi" parents if they are not favourable towards Krsna consciousness did not come from Prabhupada. This idea was developed by his cultish followers, who mostly came from the antisocial and radical hippie counterculture.

A parent certainly has a right to disinherit children that he or she deems unworthy of the GIFT of inheritance. If you did not EARN it, it is a GIFT.

The idea that people who become devotees should sever the ties with their "karmi" parents if they are not favourable towards Krsna consciousness did not come from Prabhupada. This idea was developed by his cultish followers, who mostly came from the antisocial and radical hippie counterculture.

A parent certainly has a right to disinherit children that he or she deems unworthy of the GIFT of inheritance. If you did not EARN it, it is a GIFT.

Looks like there's a different law in US. In the EU the law clearly says that children cannot be disinherited except they are criminals. However, if the last will says, you're disinherited the probate court considers you as disinherited unless you raise an objection.

"That is the bhagavata-dharma. Muktipadeśa dayābhāk. One who lives like that, doesn’t care for suffering, goes on with his duty. That person is sure to go back to home, back to Godhead. Just like a son is sure to inherit the father’s property. Dayābhāk, this word is used. Muktipadeśa dayābhāk. Literally, heritage. Ha? What is called?

Devotee: Inheritance.

Prabhupāda: Inheritance, yes. Legally inheritance. [break] …we’re afraid of suffering. Let there be so many, what is that? Let me do my duty."

Morning Walk Conversation

with His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupāda

July 9, 1976, Washington D.C.

760709mw.wdc

Just off the cuff, without a quote from SP, I tend to agree with the first statement.

The strangeness of early ISKCON in 1965-1975 America often totally freaked parents out, much more so than their kids...remember "deprogramming"?

Second statement...agree completely.

The strangeness of early ISKCON in 1965-1975 America often totally freaked parents out, much more so than their kids...remember "deprogramming"?

I would have my kids deprogrammed as well if they joined New Vrindavan in the 80's falling for a guy like K-swami.

There certainly were dangerous cults which prayed on people at that time. Who can blame parents for freaking out, especially after Jonestown in 1978?

Even today I still occasionally see devotees who preach a very radical approach to maintaining ties with your family after joining the movement, which can be boiled down to a total rejection.

If we reject our parents, if we do not try to support them in some way, at least emotionally by having good relations with them, what right do we have to an inheritance? We have no right at all. But because we have no pride, no honesty, no intelligence, we think we have the right.

We are Lord Krsna's children, but our right to His inheritance is based on our qualifications, and not a mere formal relationship of parent-child.

I was disinherited at the last moment because I wasn't around. I was working in Bogota Colombia. My brother got it all, and then he died prematurely a year later. Even when it was all added up, she was still unable to get any good karma out of her position. Poor wretch.

My cousin was a victim of the deprogrammers. That part of the family didn't know I had been following a Vedic life for many years. Later she smiled when she saw that I wore neck beads. I don't think her Police Chief father even knows to this day who I am. Only my son knows. Bless his heart.

I told my mother that if they tried to deprogram me I would do a thousand times to the deprogrammers what they had done to me. If they kidnapped me for three days, I would kidnap them for 3,000 days. If they tied me to a chair for a day, I would tie them up for a thousand days. They would experience a thousand times the pain. She knew I was as strong as an ox, and I meant what I said. I could and would do it. I would pretend to be converted into a rubber-ducky, then bang, turn the tables upside down. I would send the fear of God into all heartless deprogrammers. I've never been into violence, but maybe I could have done the dirty deed, dirt cheap.