IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Tirisilex

Alone

Rate this topic

I feel so alone here because I know of noone else who follows Krishna.. I wish I had some like minded people to hang out with.. to practice with.. I'm soooo alone..

Haven't you said before you are in the Vermont area? If so here are some devotees who are trying to start a center in Brattleboro, Vermont.

bratt_area1.jpg

By Lalita Madhava devi dasi http://www.dandavats.com/?p=5122

Mature, liberal-minded Vaishnavas are needed to help open (or contribute funds toward opening) a center in gorgeous, progressive and highly-intellectual Brattleboro, Vermont. Brattleboro is a beautiful and amazing town on the Connecticut River in southern Vermont just north of the Massachusetts border. Down-to-earth yet ultra-sophisticated, it has a huge alternative community of vegetarians, spiritualists and natural healers who practice, of all places, at the local hospital! Just to give an idea of how ready for and receptive to Krishna consciousness this town is, one of the featured events on January 2008’s “First Friday Gallery Walk” downtown was a presentation of vintage 1920’s and 1930’s Krishna Calendar Art by a gallery specializing in Indian art and antiques! Spectacularly beautiful throughout all the four seasons (and especially so in autumn), even the winters here in southern Vermont are mystical and enchanting, with the dazzling, sparkling snow!

Lalita Madhava d. d. Krishna-darshan d. d. Radha-ramana dasa

Home: 802.579.1222 Cell: 352.871.6902 Email: Brattleboro.Yatra@gmail.com

Here was a follow up article a month later.

http://www.dandavats.com/?p=5290#more-5290

dc2b8fb2d7a96aa2e824eed52c6c2e72.png

by Lalita Madhava devi dasi

It’s been nearly a month since we first posted our story and an announcement calling for preachers to help us spread the sankirtana movement of Lord Caitanya. And what an incredible month it’s been! Not only have devotees come forward from Vermont, New Hampshire and Western Massachusetts, but we have received numerous letters from devotees all around the country - from those looking for a project and wanting more information about relocating to Brattleboro, from traveling book distributors offering to come through here during the warmer months, and from kind well-wishers simply offering much needed words of support and encouragement.

Among the devotees living in the immediate area, we have all gradually been connecting with one another - writing back and forth, talking on the phone and, one by one, meeting in person. The cafe at the famous Brattleboro Food Co-op has proved to be a great venue for this - despite the indignity I suffered getting busted for surreptitiously using my cell phone (not heeding the numerous signs on the walls displaying a picture of a cell phone in the center of forbidding red circle with a diagonal red line through it!) while anxiously waiting for these holy meets-in-the-service-of-the-Lord!

night.jpg

I feel so alone here because I know of noone else who follows Krishna.. I wish I had some like minded people to hang out with.. to practice with.. I'm soooo alone..

I know how you feel. Where I live, there isn't even one Hindu temple... let alone a Krishna temple. :( I'm sorry you feel so alone :(

There is always a way... you can travel to a temple on weekends, or move closer to some temple.

Buy B.R. Chopra's (16) DVD Set of the "Mahabharata" --it's 94 Hours long.

Buy the (22) DVD Set of A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami's Lectures--you'll have a Vaisnava Guru available at all times.

Save up to travel once a year to the nearest Tirtha/mandir/Farm community for Janmastami or Gaura-Purnima --[short stays are most relishable, especially if you take momento-pictures].

Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura responded to these questions this way:

Q:
-- With Vaishnavism some may be personally benefited; but what benefit does the world derive from it?

A:
-- That is not the true position; it may be applicable for archana or ritual worship, and not to those who perform kirtana or recite the glories of God. The ritual worshipper does his rituals for his own personal good; but a reciter does service to the world, nay to all the creatures of the universe, to all beasts and birds, to men and gods, even to trees, creepers and rocks, too; that service is of the highest type.

Q:
-- I do not find any liking of men for this.

A:
-- It is meaningless if we expect many persons to come for it. The number of post-graduates is very limited. Lord Krishna has said,<sup> [14]</sup> "Among thousands of men, only one or a few endeavour for accomplishment in self-realisation and of these, too, even though accomplished, only one or so may have an insight into My nature." Lord Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu has dilated on it citing a Bhagavata Shloka: <sup>[15]</sup> "Even among crores of the accomplished and liberated even a single devotee of Lord Narayana is rare." Craftiness is the main thing in the world.

Q:
-- How many people are there who know of Vaishnavism?

A:
-- How many post-graduates are being turned out? How many Newtons have been born? Is it a wise principle to give up the culture of science because many Prof. J.C. Boses are not being produced?

Q:
-- By what means can devotion to Krishna grow?

A:
-- Devotion to the Supreme Lord Krishna is generated when one listens to the accounts of His Glories, etc., attentively with a serving mood from such guileless devotees of God as have nothing to do except incessantly chanting these accounts. <sup>[16]</sup> He is Vishnu Who is sustaining the entire universe with the function in which the sattva is the chief element. As He has been making the world chetana or alive to the concerns of Krishna He is known as Krishna Chaitanya. It is for generating chaitanya (alive-ness) in jivas that were without it that He adopted Sannyasa. But yet we have got chaitanya (i.e., been brought to sense). It is not the virtue of pure chaitanya to make other attempts than that of motiveless service. In the function of shuddha (pure) chetana there is no service to to [sic] be done to anartha (which is not the true artha or necessary, i.e. God); there is only the service to Artha. The Kshatriyas, Vaisyas, Shudras, etc., are busy in thinking about the external things in nature; the knowers of Brahman (i.e. the true Brahmanas) have no such engagement; only service to Hari is their duty. And the Kshatriyas, Vaisyas, etc., should also make all endeavours in favour of that service of those Brahmajnas. It is the only duty of jivas to be engaged in the service of God.