IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
guliaditya

Bhakta's charitra

Rate this topic

Actually in Mayapur dhama ISKCON temple, they have the asta sakhis around Lord Krishna and Srimati Radharani. Indulekha devi is one of those 8 sakhis. In this picture Indulekha devi is being shown. Hopefully one day by your mercy, I could actually become her servant.

Please forgive the mistake. And I am too lowly to bless you with any mercy, Induji. May you return the favour to me.

Guliadityaji- did you get a chance to check out the links about Nityananda Prabhu?

Loverofthebhagavataji- No need to ask for forgiveness. And since you are seniour to me in both age and qualification and of course devotion, you are able to bless me. :)

I have checked out the link.It was really very nice to read Nityananda prabhu's divine charitra.Bhakta's charitra has to be read again & again.I have to read his divine charitra many times so that my heart gets cleaned up for the premabhakti of Shri RadhaKrishna.

Thanks a lot Indulekhadasiji.

Pranaam

I have checked out the link.It was really very nice to read Nityananda prabhu's divine charitra.Bhakta's charitra has to be read again & again.I have to read his divine charitra many times so that my heart gets cleaned up for the premabhakti of Shri RadhaKrishna.

Thanks a lot Indulekhadasiji.

Pranaam

Yes, Lord Nityananda is both the Supreme Lord and a devotee so you will be doubly benefited! Jai Nitai!

Respected Indulekhadasiji,

I have read so many times the divine charitra of Thakur Haridasji. He was also a great devotee of Shri Radhakrishna. Daily he use to chant Krishna's divine names & the number use to reach upto 3 lac.What a great devotee??

I have visited his samadhi in Vrindavan where he use to sing devotional song.Sangeet Samrat Tansen was his student.

After reading various bhaktas charitra, conclusion drawn is, keep on chanting Krishna's divine names.It is the only refuge in this Kaliyug.

Pranaam,

Here is the charithra of Srila Vrindavan das Thakura the great mahatma who wrote Sri Chaitanya Bhagavata:

All glories to Sri Guru and Sri Gauranga

Srila Vrindavan Das Thakur

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=520 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>

Image123.jpg

The samadhi of Srila Vrindavan Das Thakur.

Srila Vrindavan Das Thakur was born four years after Mahaprabhu took sannyasa.

His mother was Sri Narayani Devi. She was the niece of Srivasa Pandit.

Srila Vrindavan Das Thakur describes how his mother received the mercy of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu when she was just four years old. He told Narayani to chant the Name of Krishna. She became mad with love of God and started crying, ‘O Krishna!’ she was filled with divine love.

Very often she would receive the remnants of Mahaprabhu’s meal. Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu liked her very much. By the mercy of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu the incarnation of Vyasa (the writer of the Vedas/Vedic scriptures) came as Srila Vrindavan Das Thakur in the womb of Sri Narayani Devi.

His only thought was Sri Sri Gaura-Nityananda. The father of Srila Vrindavan Das Thakur most probably died while his mother was still pregnant with him. Being without a husband his mother became very poor, and in the end she came to live in the house of Sri Vasudeva Datta Thakur, who lived in Mamagachi. There she used to help doing the household work. At this place Vrindavan Das started to study as well.

At the house of Malini Devi (the wife of Srivasa Thakur) Vrindavan Das used to play, and he grew up there. They use to take care of him and nourish him, just like one would take care of a valuable gem.

When Mahaprabhu left this world Srila Vrindavan Das Thakur was about twenty years old.

He was initiated by Sri Nityananda Prabhu. He was most probably the very last disciple Sri Nityananda Prabhu initiated.

Image124.jpg

The Divine footprints of the lotus feet

of the most merciful Lord Nityananda Prabhu.

Together with Nityananda Prabhu’s wife, Jahnava Mata, Srila Vrindavan Das Thakur went to the Kheturi Maha-mahotsava (the first Sri Gaura Purnima festival).

Srila Vrindavan Das Thakur wrote Sri Chaitanya Bhagavat. First is was called Sri Chaitanya Mangal. In this book he writes about the Pastimes of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and His associates. Especially he wrote a lot about the early Lila of the Lord.

Image125.jpg

The temple in Denur where Srila Vrindavan Das

Thakur wrote the Sri Chaitanya Bhagavat.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top height=45></TD><TD height=45>krishna-lila bhagavate kahe vedavyasa,

chaitanya-lilara vyasa — vrindavana dasa’</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD>Vedavyasa has described the Pastimes of Krishna in his Bhagavat.

The Vyasa of Chaitanya Lila is Vrindavana Das.’</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Image126.jpg

A manuscript said to be the original text of the Sri Chaitanya Bhagavat.

Image127.jpg

The original Deities Srila Vrindavana Das

Thakur worshiped at the village of Denur.

Image128.jpg

On this spot Sri Nityananda Prabhu ate some haritaki fruit

together with Srila Vrindavana Das Thakur,

on their way travelling throughout Bengal.

Srila Vrindavan DAs Thakur ki jaya!

<HR></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Respected Indulekhadasiji,

Many many thanks to you.This was my intention of starting this thread.Feeling very great after reading Srila Vrindavan Das thakurji's divine charitra.

I request you to pls keep on posting divine charitras of other great devotees also.

Pranaam

Arent you in ecstacy after seeing the lotus footprints of Lord Nityananda? By your mercy and inspiration I was searching Vrindavan das Thakura for you and this came up. And now we can see Lord Nityananda's lotus feet...can't help from crying. When will I ever be able to attain those lotus feet?

KURESA OR Kurathazhwar was the foremost disciple of Sri Ramanujacharya.

The story of Kuresa's life has been told many times over the centuries. Nonetheless, it is a life-story of such nobility and inspiration that it will bear repetition any number of times.

Kuresa hailed from the hamlet of ``Kura'' (or ``kooram'') near Kanchipuram. He belonged to the clan of the Haritas, to a wealthy, land- owning and propertied family. Kuresa was regarded with great respect as the elder in his community. He and his wife, Andalamma, were renowned for their philanthropy and public service. They were ardent devotees of Kanchi Varadaraja.

Early in his life, Kuresa came under the spell of Ramanujacharya who at that time was living in Kanchi. It was the time when Ramanuja was slowly emerging as the propagator of a new school of thought.

Kuresa, although senior in age, became a disciple of Ramanujacharya. He was soon initiated into a rigorous study of the ancient Vedic scriptures and more especially the ``meemamsa- sutras''. A strange but strong bond of kinship developed between the young Master and the elderly student over the many years they spent together in Kanchi.

In his mid-life, due to a variety of personal and social reasons, Ramanuja took to ``sanyasa'' and was called away by the community of Sri Vaishnavas in Srirangam to rally them all into a cohesive force there against the onslaught of religious bigotry waged by the Saivite State at that time.

Kuresa's close relationship with Ramanuja thus drew to a close. Seeing off Ramanuja to Srirangam, Kuresa returned to his hamlet with his wife Andalamma.

One evening, after they had completed their daily routine of charity - feeding the poor who had gathered at their doorsteps at dusk - they retired for the day. Kuresa banged the big brass doorway to his home shut. This banging was so loud in the quiet of the night that it was heard some distance away in Kanchi. On being told that the sound of the door closure was heard by the Lord, Kuresa said, ``What?! Did thatdisturb the Lord and His Consort in Kanchi?! What a conceited wretch am I that I should let my charity be announced thus to the whole world! What a vain sinner am I''!

It was a turning point in the life of Kuresa who decided to renounce all his wealth and join Ramanuja in Srirangam where he and his wife were received with great joy.

Kuresa used to take down the dictation of `Sri Bhashya' by Ramanuja. One day, Ramanuja stated that the distinguishing attribute of the atomic soul (``jeeva'') was its cognitive power. At this point Kuresa put his writing-quill down and ceased writing. He looked up at his guru.

Ramanujacharya looked at Kuresa and flew into a temper. ``Sir, if you mean to write the ``Bhashya'' on the ``Vyasa-sutras'' yourself, you may do so!'', thundered Ramanuja at Kuresa, and stomped out in a fit of rage.

After a while Ramanuja reflected carefully upon the incident. And he realised that Kuresa was right in finding fault with his dictated passage. The definition of the ``jeeva'' as a cognitive entity was an essential but not sufficient description in as much as the most important characteristic of the soul viz. its allegiance or leigeship to God (`seshatva') was a serious omission.

Ramanuja realised that if his original definition of the jeeva had gone unchallenged by Kuresa then the very superstructure of Visishtadvaita's theology would have proceeded to be built on a wobbling premise. Ramanuja grew repentant.

He told Kuresa ``My son, you are absolutely right! Now please write down the true nature of the soul as that which is God's... and let us proceed with the rest of the work.''

In Srirangam, although Ramanuja and Kuresa succeeded in the stupendous task of systematising an exciting and epochal new philosophy, they both knew that the `Sri Bhashya' still needed a final coat of brilliant polish.... the polish of irrefutability... before it could go into and earn an unchallenged place in the annals of Vedantic history. Ramanuja knew he must access an ancient parchment or document called ``Boddhayana vrutti'' - a rare exegetical treatise on Vyasa's ``Brahmasutras'' incorporating the insights of other great commentators of distant past. The ``Boddhayana vrutti'', Ramanuja learnt, was lying somewhere in a musty library in the royal library of the then king of an obscure Kashmiri State.

Daunting as the task appeared to him, Ramanuja went to Kashmir in pursuit of the ``vrutti''. The King gave Ramanuja and Kuresa permission to access the archives in the royal library. The royal pundits however, were none too happy and created many obstacles. Ramanuja was not allowed to take the vrutti or notes out. Kuresa, endowed with a photographic memory, memorised the whole book. Back in Srirangam, Kuresa and Ramanuja completed the ``Sri Bhashya'' by incorporating authentic references to the ``Boddhayana vrutti'', the growing influence of Sri Vaishnavism once again stoked the malevolent fires of religious bigotry in the land. Amongst some sections of the Saivite population which at that time was concentrated around Gangaikondachozhapuram, near Chidambaram, hatred towards Sri Vaishnavism and of Sri Ramanuja began to flare up.

The King of Chozhanad at that time was a Saivite fanatic. His name was Krimikanta Chola of the clan of the Kollutunga kings. He was hell-bent on rooting out Vaishnavism from his kingdom and the best way to do that, he thought, was to destroy Ramanuja. He issued royal summons to Ramanuja to appear in his court for the ostensible purpose of engaging him in a scholarly debate with his royal pundits. The real intention however was to coerce Ramanuja to recant from Sri Vaishnavaism and if he refused ... to have him murdered.

Ramanuja's followers dissuaded him from going to Gangaikondachozhapuram. Kuresa volunteered to go as Ramanuja's proxy and respond to the royal summons. With great reluctance, Ramanuja left Srirangam with a small band of acolytes and fled to Melkote or Tirunarayanapuram where he lived in exile for 12 long years... a difficult period in life for the aged Acharya.

It was at Melkote that Ramanuja heard about what had happened to Kuresa and Mahapurna. In the court, the King said, ``Nothing higher than Siva exists'', and commanded them to agree to it. Kuresa refused. He contended that Narayana was the Supreme Principle and none was higher than He.

The Chola King was incensed. He commanded Kuresa again to swear allegiance to Siva. ``If you refuse, we shall have your eyes pulled out here and now!'' On hearing this Kuresa flew into a rage. ``Let me save you the trouble, you tyrant, for I shall pluck out my eyes with my own hand! These eyes that have set sight on a sinner such as you have no further use for me!''. So saying Kuresa plunged the sharp writing-quill into his own eyes. Mahapurna too suffered a similar fate but died a little later.

One day, the blind Kuresa tottered on his way from home to the temple of Ranganatha to have the `darshan' of the Lord. The temple guards, however, stopped him at the gates saying, ``We have instructions from the King to let people in only if they swear that they willingly renounce Ramanuja as their guru.'' Kuresa told them blandly, ``Please tell your King that Kuresa is prepared to forsake Lord Ranganatha in this world and even in the next. But denounce Ramanuja, never!'' The blind Kuresa then took his wife and children and lived at Tirumalirunjolai (near Madurai) till Ramanuja's return.

King Krimikanta died of a deadly rash in his neck. After his death, the fanatic fringe of Saivism in the kingdom quickly lost its militant edge and the land of the Cholas again reverted to sanity. Krimikanta Chola's successor turned out to be a wise king. He discouraged religious bigotry in his kingdom. Ramanuja then decided to return to Srirangam.

At the age of well over 100 years, after his triumphant return to Srirangam from Melkote, Sri Ramanujacharya with the help of Kuresa, once again set about resurrecting Sri Vaishnavism and restoring its soaring spirit to its former glory. The temple of Srirangam had faced ill- fated days; many centres of worship belonging to the faith had been vandalised too; Vaishnava associations, libraries, schools and trusts had all been systematically looted and destroyed as well. Corruption, indiscipline and laxity of faith had also set in amongst many Sri Vaishnavas.

Kuresa ably assisted his guru in setting right all the wrongs of the Sri Vaishnava faith. Together they worked tirelessly to bring order, vigour and rectitude back to their faith. Kuresa passed away peacefully in the presence of his loving family, Andalamma and their two young sons Vyasa and Parasara Bhattar. All of Srirangam gathered and performed all the due obsequies and honours that one so great a soul as Kuresa richly deserved. Ramanuja had many disciples. But there never was one like Sri Kuresa..

Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

Srimathyai Godayai Namaha

Srimathe Baladhanvi Mahagurave Namaha

Srimad Varavara Munaye Namaha

Sri Andal's greatness is unparalleled and beyond the ken of speech and writing. Of the three divine consorts namely Sridevi, Bhudevi and Neeladevi, she is the incarnation of Bhudevi and excels the other two due to following reasons. They are worth remembering on this happy day of her birth festival. That is the proper way of paying our tributes to her.

1. Sridevi and Neeladevi are not born in this world without the company of Sriman Narayana. But SriBhudevi incarnated in this world leaving the company of her Lord at Srivaikunta. She was born at Srivilliputtur as the dearest daughter of Sri Vishnuchita or Periyalwar.

2. As she was the incarnation of Bhudevi , she was worried about her children who are lying on her lap, i.e., in this mortal world. So when she was retrieved from the deluge by her Lord Sriman Narayana in the form of an wild boar, she requested Him to tell Her the easiest means of salvation by having recourse to which all Her children could reach Srivaikuntam. The Lord told her "If a man sings songs of devotion and offers garland to Me, I will be pleased to entertain Him to my world". Sri Bhudevi replied "O my dear! My children (mortals) are steeped in the ocean of ignorance. Therefore I will go down to the mortal world and sing devotional songs (pamalai) and offer You flowers of garland (poomalai) on their behalf. If they recite these songs and offer garlands to You, You must certainly bless them with your service, putting an end to their cycle of birth and death, the root cause of all their sufferings". The Lord became speechless on observing the mother's affection. He gladly consented to do so and bade farewell to her. So she came down to this world as Periyalwar's daughter. This kind of motherly affection is not to be seen in the case of the other two spouses namely Sridevi and Neeladevi.

3. This behavior of SriBhudevi (Sri Andal) is reminding us of a mother's benevolent attitude. When her child is afflicted by a severe malady the mother takes a strong dose of medicine. That medicine cures the child when it drinks the mother's milk. All the mortals are suffering from the disease called Samsara (birth and death) for their sake Sri Andal took the medicine namely birth in this world. This proves her unlimited affection for her children.

She offered garlands and sang two divine poems Thiruppavai and Nacchiyar Thirumozhi for our sake. The moment we sing these songs or offer flowers to Him, He thinks of His promise to SriBhudevi and keeps up His promise by granting salvation to all of us.

In Thiruppavai She made it very clear to us that taking refuge unto the lotus like feet of Narayana is the sole means of salvation. But Acharya Abhimana is much easier and the safest means of salvation.

She declared in Nacchiyar Tirumozhi that whenever a man takes refuge unto the lotus like feet of the Lord, he is not sure of reaching the abode of the lord. It is because the Lord is free to act according to His whims and fancies i.e., He is Swatantra. He may look at our sins and may push us down to this world or He may grant us salvation by showering His grace on us out of pity. Thus He may act in either way. But an Acharya is full of the milk of human kindness and will never allow us to be born in this world. He is sure to get us a berth at Srivaikunta by his strong recommendation to lord. So Acharya Abhimana i.e., the Acharaya's unbounded affection alone is the surest and safest means of salvation. This cardinal and very secret principle of our sampradayam which was closely guarded by our Acharayas was first brought to light by Sri Andal, which none other had done. Thus we can go on sketching the unique and distinctive features of Sri Andal. Now our duty is to sing her divine songs in front of Andal and Rangamannar by way of service to them.

Pls post it. I am eagerly waiting for that saint's charitra.

Haribol.

Go to the following link please: http://bvml.org/SBPKM/index.htm

Just like Kuresa switched clothes with Ramanujacharya to save his life, this saint did the exact same thing for his spiritual master- Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura.

And thank you for Andal's charitra. I am a bharatanatyam dancer and I am having my arangetram in 2 months. One of my dances is called Andal Kanavu and is all about the marriage of Andal and Sri Ranganath.

to take a bite of krishna is to loose all taste the promise being that your material life is over , as we develope bhakti we recieve mercy as knowledge or insight , until we are smashed to pieces, mercy that at times has made my mind crazy ,at these moments i have used bad language to everything , sat in my cave waiting for the shadow to lift ,as the shadows lift i often use explietives as afirmation to my jiva , to give up its foolish thoughts , how can i defeat prabhupada love can not be defeated but jiva must be quelled , to surrender , is to give up illusion , and look maya in the eye and see her as a goddess and offer her respect , the devotee is peacfull and fearless and always engaged in serving his guru , as for ofence this physical form roams covered by the material potencies ,all is krishna , we are in rahdas womb awaiting her mercy but not until prabhupada is pleased will this mercy come , everything unfolds as prabhupada wishes our job is only to please , these subjects and exchanges burn in the hearts of devotees , who has bhakti , do i you know what bhakti is , did prabhupada know , and is prabhupada guiding us now , do we feel his presence , do we hear his voice his instruction, our time here will cease, but prabhupadas mission can not fail , avatars are already born , preparing to show, as they complete there tasks , and wait for the call, krishna uviels us all, prabhupadas words call us all, to hear krishnas flute, as all lift rahda her child jiva atma paramatma prabhupada flies our souls home on celestial swans as krishna prepares for rahda to wake , we hold her fate as hearts for krishna show prabhupada love always holds the devotee, now is our time to grow , and as you know you will be shown , prabhupada will speake to us all ,as we meditate on the holy names , jai prabhupada jai rahde

to take a bite of krishna is to loose all taste the promise being that your material life is over , as we develope bhakti we recieve mercy as knowledge or insight , until we are smashed to pieces, mercy that at times has made my mind crazy ,at these moments i have used bad language to everything , sat in my cave waiting for the shadow to lift ,as the shadows lift i often use explietives as afirmation to my jiva , to give up its foolish thoughts , how can i defeat prabhupada love can not be defeated but jiva must be quelled , to surrender , is to give up illusion , and look maya in the eye and see her as a goddess and offer her respect , the devotee is peacfull and fearless and always engaged in serving his guru , as for ofence this physical form roams covered by the material potencies ,all is krishna , we are in rahdas womb awaiting her mercy but not until prabhupada is pleased will this mercy come , everything unfolds as prabhupada wishes our job is only to please , these subjects and exchanges burn in the hearts of devotees , who has bhakti , do i you know what bhakti is , did prabhupada know , and is prabhupada guiding us now , do we feel his presence , do we hear his voice his instruction, our time here will cease, but prabhupadas mission can not fail , avatars are already born , preparing to show, as they complete there tasks , and wait for the call, krishna uviels us all, prabhupadas words call us all, to hear krishnas flute, as all lift rahda her child jiva atma paramatma prabhupada flies our souls home on celestial swans as krishna prepares for rahda to wake , we hold her fate as hearts for krishna show prabhupada love always holds the devotee, now is our time to grow , and as you know you will be shown , prabhupada will speake to us all ,as we meditate on the holy names , jai prabhupada jai rahde

Woah! Talk about a run-on sentence. No offense. Please summarize all of this in one sentence, I am getting dizzy.

Guliaditya prabhuji,

Did you read the contents of the link I gave above? Did he remind you also of Sri Kuresa?

your servant eternally,

indulekhadasi

Sorry for the late reply.

I have read the link provided by you.It was very nice.

One devotee character I liked very much i.e Pundarik Vidyanidhi. Appearance wise he was looking like a materialistic but was an exalted devotee. Mahaprabhu himslef went to meet him.

I was inspired a lot after reading his charitra.

Hope you would have definitely read his divine charitra.

Prannam

Sorry for the late reply.

I have read the link provided by you.It was very nice.

One devotee character I liked very much i.e Pundarik Vidyanidhi. Appearance wise he was looking like a materialistic but was an exalted devotee. Mahaprabhu himslef went to meet him.

I was inspired a lot after reading his charitra.

Hope you would have definitely read his divine charitra.

Prannam

Yes, I have read about him in Chaitanya Bhagavata. A truely exalted devotee, but people couldn't see his greatness due to his outward appearance. Even Gadadhara pandita got "confused" but soon realized his mistake and became a disciple of Pundarik Vidyanidhi. Interesting because this is who they were in Krishna lila:

Gadadhara pandit = Srimati Radharani

Pundarik Vidyanidhi = Vrishabhanu Maharaja (Radharani's father)

An interesting observation.

Ramdas was one of the greatest saints of the world. He was the inspirer of Shivaji. He was born of Suryaji Panth and Renuka Bai in Jamb, Maharashtra, in 1608 A.D. His original name was Narain.

Ramdas was a contemporary of Sant Tukaram. He was a great devotee of Hanuman and Lord Rama. He had Darshan of Lord Rama even when he was a boy. Lord Rama Himself initiated him.

As a boy, Ramdas acquired some knowledge of the Hindu scriptures and developed a liking for meditation and religious study. One day he shut himself in a room and began to meditate on God. When his mother asked him what he was doing, Ramdas replied that he was meditating and praying for the good of the world. His mother was surprised at the precocious religious inclination of the boy and felt happy.

When Ramdas was twelve years of age, all arrangements were made for his marriage. He sat in front of the bride. There was a screen between the bridegroom and the bride. When the priests chanted "Sawadhan!' (be alert), Ramdas bolted away from the place and disappeared within the twinkling of an eye.

For twelve years Ramdas stayed at Nasik on the banks of the Godavari. He used to get up very early in the morning, go into the Godavari river, and with his body half-immersed in water, recite the sacred Gayatri Mantra till about noon. Then he would go round for alms. He first offered the collected food to his Deity Sri Rama and then took it as Prasad. After resting a while, he used to attend religious discourses in the various temples of Nasik and Panchavati. Ramdas also studied Sanskrit and copied in his own hand the Ramayana of Valmiki. This manuscript is still preserved in the collection of Sri S.S. Dev of Dhubliah.

Ramdas did Purascharana of the Rama Mantra of thirteen letters Sri Ram Jaya Ram Jaya Jaya Ram thirteen lakhs of times at Tafali, near Nasik, on the banks of the Godavari. After the Purascharana was over, once again Ramdas had Darshan of Lord Rama. It is said that Ramachandra ordered Ramdas to visit holy places such as Nasik, Haridwar, Kasi, etc.

Ramdas sprinkled over a dead body holy water uttering the name of Rama and the dead body was restored to life. Ramdas had to do this, because he had blessed a woman who had just lost her husband.

Ramdas was an Advaitin and a Bhakta in one. He had this very noble quality that he never hated any religion or nation. His main object was to spread the Hindu religion throughout India.

Ramdas had not visited Pandharpur, as he had not known the existence of this holy place. One day, the tradition says, Lord Panduranga Vittal, in the form of a Brahmin, with a batch of three hundred pilgrims, appeared before Ramdas and asked him whether he had any objection to see Lord Krishna. Ramdas replied in the negative. Panduranga then took Ramdas to Pandharpur, and when the Bhaktas approached the temple, the Brahmin disappeared. Ramdas then knew that it was none other than the Lord that had brought him to that holy place. He entered the temple, and to his great surprise, found Sri Rama standing alone on a brick.

Ramdas addressed the Deity thus: "O Lord, what are You doing here alone? Where is Your brother Lakshmana and Your consort Sita Mata? Where is Maruti and where are the monkey hordes?". On hearing these words, the image at once transformed itself into Sri Pandarinath. Ramdas then praised Panduranga for His kindness, prostrated before Him and sang songs of joy for getting His rare Darshan. Ramdas now felt doubly convinced that the several incarnations of the Lord were but His several forms and preached that everyone should respect and worship the One who took care of one and all in the world. Ramdas then worshipped Panduranga to his heart's content and became a frequent visitor and Bhakta of Panduranga Vittal also. In Pandharpur, Ramdas came in contact with Tukaram and other saints of Pandharpur. In his pilgrimages, Ramdas observed and studied the social, political and economic conditions of Indians and their utter helplessness in life.

It is said that Sri Rama ordered Ramdas to go to the banks of the Krishna and help the cause of Shivaji, the incarnation of Siva and founder of the Kingdom of Maharashtra. Ramdas came to the Krishna and went about preaching from Mahabaleshwar to Kolhapur. He established eleven principal seats of Maruti which emphasized the importance of physical development. He installed the shrines of Sri Ramachandra at Champavati and introduced Sri Rama Navami Mahotsava and the procession of Sri Rama's chariot. It was at the place called Singanvadi that Shivaji became the disciple of Ramdas.

Shivaji placed the sandals of his Guru on the throne and acted as regent of the kingdom under the orders and guidance of his Guru and adopted as ensign the flag of orange colour. There is a beautiful and romantic incident current in the Maharashtra country about Shivaji's adoption of the Gerua flag and his ruling the kingdom in the name of Saint Ramdas.

One day Shivaji saw, from the terrace of his palace, his Gurudev Ramdas going about the streets with his begging bowl. Shivaji was surprised and could not understand why his Guru should beg when he himself had already placed all his resources at the disposal of his Gurudev. However, Sadhus are difficult to understand. Shivaji therefore called for his companion Balaji, wrote a small chit and asked him to give it to Guruji when he came to the palace. About noon, Ramdas came to the palace with his bowl and Balaji prostrated before Gurudev and placed the chit at his feet. Briefly, the chit conveyed that Shivaji had made a gift of his whole kingdom to Gurudev and he humbly solicited his Gurudev's blessing. The Guru smiled and told Balaji that it was alright. Next morning Ramdas called on Shivaji and asked him what he proposed to do with himself as he had disposed of his kingdom.

Shivaji prostrated himself before Ramdas and said that he would be very happy and consider himself blessed if he should spend his life in his Gurudev's service. Then Ramdas said, "Take this bowl and let us go on our rounds". So Ramdas and Shivaji went round Satara begging. The people reverently bowed before the pair and gave them alms. The pair returned to the river. Ramdas prepared his simple meals and Shivaji partook of what was left after his Gurudev had finished his meals. Then Shivaji, with a smile, asked his Gurudev what he was going to do with him after reducing him to a beggar. Ramdas knew that the opportunity had come to set up a lofty ideal for the king.

Ramdas asked Shivaji to rule the kingdom in his (Ramdas's) name, to take the Gerua Chaddar for his banner and defend its honour with his life, and to think that the kingdom did not belong to himself but treat it as a trust to be ruled justly and well before God. And thus had come the Gerua banner to Shivaji.

Ramdas spent several years in visiting holy places of pilgrimage. He erected several Hanuman temples in Maharashtra. When he returned from his pilgrimage, somebody told Ramdas that his mother was pining for him, and that she had lost her eyesight on account of extreme sorrow arising out of his separation. Ramdas immediately went to see his mother. He made prostrations to his mother. His mother was exceedingly pleased to meet her son after an absence of many years. Ramdas touched the eyes of his mother. She got back her lost eyesight through the Yogic power of her son.

Ramdas's ways were very peculiar. He appeared to the outside world as a mad man. He had a small bow. He used to have, by his side, a large number of stones with which he pelted every object he saw. To men really interested in his teachings, he gave the Mantra Sri Ram Jaya Ram Jaya Jaya Ram.

Ramdas had eleven hundred disciples, of whom three hundred were women. The women disciples were also expert preachers and were virtuous. Ramdas sent his disciples to all parts of India to spread the Hindu religion. His disciples and Mutts in the North directly or indirectly helped Shivaji and his work. Ramdas's organisation in the South, round about Thanjavur, helped Shivaji's son Rajaram to go to Jinji and carry on the Twenty Years' War with Aurangazeb. When Ramdas visited Thanjavur, Venkoji, who was the step-brother of Shivaji, became his disciple. Ramdas appointed Bhimaswami, his direct disciple, as the Mahant of the Thanjavur Mutt.

Ramdas generally preferred to live in the forest, where he would say, he had better meditation. In his last days, Ramdas devoted his time partly to literary activities and partly to the systematic building up of his disciples and Mutts, both in the North and in the South. The literary works of Ramdas such as Dasabodh, Manache Shlok (verse addressed to the mind), Karunashtakas (hymns to God) and Ramayana (describing only the conquest of Lanka by Sri Rama and the vanquishing of Ravana) are very popular. It was as a tribute to Ramdas's extraordinary patience and determination in rehabilitating the Hindu religion in India that people named him Samartha (all-powerful) Ramdas, a name which he richly deserved. This great Guru of Maharashtra breathed his last in 1682 at Sajjangad, near Satara, a fortress which was given to him by Shivaji for his residence.

Ramdas repeated the Rama Mantra with his last breath. At the time of his departure from the world, a dazzling light emanated from his body and Ramdas was absorbed in the image of Lord Rama.

The last instructions of Ramdas to his disciples were: "Do not think much of your bodily wants. Have Satsang with devotees. Keep the image of Lord Rama in your heart. Repeat the name of Lord Rama always. Annihilate lust, greed, anger, hatred and egoism. See Lord Rama in all creatures. Love all. Feel His presence everywhere. Live for Him alone. Serve Him in all beings. Make total and unreserved surrender unto Him.You will always live in Him alone. You will attain immortality and eternal bliss".

im soory my education is poor , i try to write clear but grammar fails me , im sure i never learnt , one sentence , ecstatic arousal eterrnal presence non comprehension no doubt , vaisnava ajuna prahlad prabhupada and one day one of us vaisnava full to , whicth one,know thats krishna plan to unfold prabhupada knew and is always instructing us from within as this plan unfolds ,soon we will all know , as krihna shows to all

No no seamusjcarrollji! Please don't feel offended.

I am sure you have some amazing realizations and just wanted to read them, but I had trouble understanding you. But I will make sure I read them more closely when I have the time.

jai rahda please do find some time , it takes me time to write anything ,but i come here to share , my spiritual life , my life , for the moment i have time , im recovering, waiting for instruction and inspiration , when i am strong again , im sure this life will take another twist , but for now patience , i trust prabhupada is guiding me right , so that makes these exchanges all part of my journey home jai prabhupada

Respected Seamusjcarrollji,

I read your post and I am very happy to read your realizations. I noticed your posts are filled with realization, unlike mine which are simply dry and speculative. Keep sharing those realizations with us, we will benefit from them.

Your servant eternally,

indulekhadasi