IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Redsox

Gayatri Mantra or the Hare Krishna mantra?

Rate this topic

In Krishna mahamantra our anahata chakra become filled with bhakti, but this not for everybody good.

And also recall that nearly every single Vedic path has its own maha-mantra, some of which are directly traceable to the four original Vedas, such as the PanchAkshara Namah ShivAya mantra.

In the Sri Sampradaya, nothing comes close to the beautiful Aum Namo NArAyanAya chant. Likewise, for the Ramanandis, who are a branch of Ramanuja Vaishnavism, but are mainly centred around Ayodhya, the Rama-mantra of Sri RAma Jaya RAma Jaya Jaya RAma reigns supreme. And each of these different schools quotes scripture to prove that THEIR mantra is THE best and most effective means of attaining the Supreme.

But yes, I do agree with you that the GAyatrI-mantra lies at the very basis of Vedic dharma, and its importance cannot be over-emphasised. And we should all be forever thankful to Shri Vishvamitra Muni for having blessed humanity with this potent spiritual medicine.

Except that your quote from the Brahma-samhita fails to convince anybody other than Chaitanya Vaishnavas. No other Vaishnava sampradaya accepts the BS as scripture, what to speak of non-Vaishnava Vedic traditions.

That may be true, but it was a mere illustration to the concept I was trrying to present: "With time, as people's mentality has changed, the Path promoted by the great sages was adjusted to what is now presented by the Puranas." There are many verses in the Vaishnava Puranas (like Vishnu or Bhagavata) which sound exactly like the one I quoted from Brahma-samhita.

By some accounts, the majority of the Vedic writings has been lost over the centuries. Ancient commentaries often quote scriptures which are unknown today. Brahma-samhita is quite possibly just one chapter of such a scripture.

That may be true, but it was a mere illustration to the concept I was trrying to present: "With time, as people's mentality has changed, the Path promoted by the great sages was adjusted to what is now presented by the Puranas." There are many verses in the Vaishnava Puranas (like Vishnu or Bhagavata) which sound exactly like the one I quoted from Brahma-samhita.

By some accounts, the majority of the Vedic writings has been lost over the centuries. Ancient commentaries often quote scriptures which are unknown today. Brahma-samhita is quite possibly just one chapter of such a scripture.

It is indeed possible, and I myself find the BS to be quite intriguing, with its overt use of tantric imagery to develop its Krishna-centred theology. The depiction of lotus-petaled realms and so forth (even if metaphorical) is explicitly tantric in nature. Scholars tend to date it to the late medieval period, even though they have no way to be certain of the exact period of its composition. But it is an interesting writing, that's for certain.

Sure, most of shastra has been lost today, and the original, undivided Purana as well as Ramayana are said to still exist in Devaloka in one billion verses each. It is also well known that the majority of Upanishads and other secondary books have been lost. Perhaps (I think) only the four Vedas have been kept more or less intact because of the purpose that they were meant to serve. Presumably, all these scriptures are still present in the akashic record of the sky, and occasionally can be revealed to chosen mediums in trance, just like in the case of Subbaraya Sastry who, in the early 20th century, dictated the Vaimanika-shastra in this way. The Vaimanika-shastra, by the way, is an ancient Sanskrit technical treatise which is ascribed to Maharishi Bharadvaja, and concerns itself with various aspects of Vedic vimanas, or flying vehicles, the flying patterns of which, upon a close read, are found to be startlingly similar to reported accounts of the modern UFO phenomenon.

I myself find the BS to be quite intriguing, with its overt use of tantric imagery to develop its Krishna-centred theology. The depiction of lotus-petaled realms and so forth (even if metaphorical) is explicitly tantric in nature.

Yes, there are tantric overtones in BS, but the same can be said about some of the Puranas. The division into Veda and Tantra is somewhat fluid, with many overlaps. Tantric writings were last to be written down, as that tradition was the least rigid and "orthodox", kept primarily in the oral (and often secret) fashion.

The division into Veda and Tantra is somewhat fluid, with many overlaps. Tantric writings were last to be written down, as that tradition was the least rigid and "orthodox", kept primarily in the oral (and often secret) fashion.

True, Kulapavanaji. In fact, it has been said that Vedanta refers to the masculine part of Dharma, with Tantra being its feminine counterpart. A careful study of these two systems would probably reveal that they are, indeed, complementary to one another and different methodologies to approach the spiritual.

Is the Apple more powerful than the Orange... :)

The gayatri is said to be the most powerful mantras or thats what I heard it says in the vedas.

Hare krishna maha mantra is also very powerful according to vedas.

But which is it? Or are these both the same?

Hare krishna Mahamantra = Gayatri?

or

Is Gayatri > Hare krishna Mahamantra?

or

Is Hare krishna Mahamantra > Gayatri?

Any Mantra should be preached by a "Guru" without which the mantra has no impact. That is the Reason the brahmins are preached Gayatri mantra by "Guru" while Upanayanam, otheriwise it has no impact. Gayatri mantra is very important for Brahmins as gayatri devi is the mother of all Vedas, and a brahmin is expected to master over Vedas, thats why Brahmins consider Gayatri mantra is the holiest mantra.

"Harer Nama Harer Nama Harer Nama Kevalam

Kalau nasty eva nasty nasty eva gatir anyatha"

-QUOTED by SRi SHANKARACHARYA, in his commentary on Sri Vishnu Sahasranama.

Wait.WHAAAAAAAAAAT ?

That's not all,he further goes on to state,"You need no bhakti,no sentiment.Just Cant Sri Hari's name and you will get completely liberated,of this there is no doubt."

Even Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu does not advocate Sankirtana without Sentimental attachment.

And Now Aadi Jagadguruji is declaring...........WOW.

Weird.

And By the WAY,

Gayatri Mantra falls under Vedic MANTRAS.

Aum Bhuuur Bhuvah svha tat ! saa- vitur Vareyeeneeyam..

It is to be chanted ONLY ACCORDING TO METER otherwise you GO TO HELL.

Keep this in your mind always.

Better yet,just don't chant it.

Brahmanas have to study the vedas...but how will they UNDERSTAND it.

The veda is saying,first KNOW Him and then you'll understand the Vedic meaning whereas it is also saying know Him though the Vedas.

But we should accept Sri Vyasadeva's conclusion,

"I have gone through the vedas carefully and i have concluded,Men,do Not even TOUCH the vedas! Even if you read it infinte times,you'll only get confused.It is like an endless ocean."

"Ananta baram gambhiram,durvighaya samudravat."

We should listen to Srila Vyasadeva and submit to a person who has achieved Sri Bhagavatpraapti.He is known as a mahapurusha or mahatma for he has attained Paramatma.

ONLY and ONLY mahatmas know the exact import of vedas.

Not Some Dr. chaturvedi and Prof. Aiiyyar and Max Mueller.

He is the BIGGEST fraud who studies the Vedas on the merit of his material intelligence and projects it as 'his commentary'.

Such a person is the biggest fool and more so are those who accept his authority.

historically speaking gayatri was the principal mantra of the aryas. it is considered as vedamata or mother of the vedas . vedas as we all know are the highest divine revelations of hinduism .remember the term vedas also includes the upanishads which form the gyan kaanda of the vedas. the extract of these vedas are said to be in this gayatri .

the importance of this mantra meant that many other gayatris were also concieved in the later vedic period , such as surya gayatri or durga gayatri.

harekrishna mahamantra or taarak brahma naam got popular at a much later date as the bhakti cults became more popular . its influence particularly increased after chaitanya . it is a later concept .

in terms of importance gayatri stands on a superior platform . there is hardly any sect that would dare to oppose or deny gayatri . the same cannot be said of mahamantra.

but in terms of spiritual power i believe both are equal . its ultimately the faith that matters . and the focus of both of them is on self realization

Not Some Dr. chaturvedi and Prof. Aiiyyar and Max Mueller.

He is the BIGGEST fraud who studies the Vedas on the merit of his material intelligence and projects it as 'his commentary'.

before max muller the vedas were pratically lost . none of the brahmins of india had a complete book with himself .max muller realised this critical situation and for 20 years roamed about the subcontinent gathering together the palm leaf manuscripts piece by piece to save it from extinction. then it took another 18 years to finish the final manuscript and its translation before it could be finally printed .

thus it was though his hard work that we have the vedas still among us .

secondly he did not write a commentary on vedas . western world accepted his translation as an infalliable commentary .

Do you not understand till now ?

Indriya (5 senses)-->

Man(Mind) -->

Buddhi(intelligence)-->

jeevatma-->

Mahat-->

Prakriti-->

Brahm.

Vedas are accepted as Brahm svarup.

NOW tell me how did your Max mueller come about to produce his infallible translation?

I'm not mocking you.It is a earnest question.