IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

We Need Only To Read Books?

Rate this topic

Often we hear heavy and resolute statements like, no, only reading Vaishnava literature - this is insufficient, why are you thinking so foolishly? So many spiritual books were already there and you are thinking, we need only to read transcendental books? There is no need of associating with a sadhu who is physically present? Unless you get association with a living sadhu, what can you do? Will you put some question to Srila Prabhupada and Srila Prabhupada will answer you? This process is a living thing. All sadhus speak through their books: Jiva Goswami, Rupa Goswami, Sanatana Goswami, Bhaktivinode Thakur, Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati, and Srila Prabhupada all say that they speak through books. This is not a new thing. This is our Vaisnava procedure. But you should see him. Can you see Bhaktivinode Thakur? Can you see Jiva Goswami? You may say, Oh I have read their books; I have their association. That won't help you. If Prabhupada says he is there, then you try to see him, associate with him, and listen from him. Do you see Prabhupada? Do you hear from Prabhupada? Is he speaking to you? Etc., etc., etc.

On the other hand there're lots of statements saying something else.

"You can associate with Krsna by reading Bhagavad-Gita. And these saintly persons, they have given their explanations, comments. So where is the difficulty?"

(Morning Walk, Paris 11/6/74)

"The influence of the pure devotee is such that if someone comes to associate with him with a little faith, he gets the chance of hearing about the Lord from authoritative scriptures like Srimad-Bhagavatam and Bhagavad-gita. This is the first stage of association with the pure devotee."

(Nectar of Devotion, 1982 Ed. p146)

"So although a physical body is not present, the vibration should be accepted as the presence of the Spiritual Master, vibration. What we have heard from the Spiritual Master, that is living."

(General lectures, 69/01/13)

"These are not ordinary books. It is recorded chanting. Anyone who reads, he is hearing."

(Letter to Rupanuga Das, 19/10/74)

"Krsna and his representative are the same. Similarly, the spiritual master can be present wherever the disciple wants. A spiritual master is the principle, not the body. Just like a television can be seen in thousands of place by the principle of relay monitoring."

(Letter to Malati, 28/5/68)

"In my books the philosophy of Krsna Consciousness is explained fully so if there is anything you do not understand, then you simply have to read again and again. By reading daily the knowledge will be revealed to you and by this process your spiritual life will develop."

(Letter to Brahmarupa Dasa, 22/11/74)

"So utilise whatever time you find to make a thorough study of my books. Then all your questions will be answered."

(Letter to Upendra, 7/1/76)

"If it is possible to go to the temple, then take advantage of the temple. A temple is a place whereby one is given the opportunity to render direct devotional service to the Supreme Lord Sri Krishna. In conjunction with this you should always read my books daily and all your questions will be answered and you will have a firm basis of Krishna Consciousness. In this way your life will be perfect."

(Letter to Hugo Salemon, 22/11/74)

"Every one of you must regularly read our books at least twice, in the morning and evening, and automatically all questions will be answered."

(Letter to Randhira, 24/01/70)

"In my books the philosophy of Krsna Consciousness is explained fully so if there is anything you do not understand, then you simply have to read again and again. By reading daily the knowledge will be revealed to you and by this process your spiritual life will develop."

The irony is I read THIS on the Internet.

There was no Internet when Prabhupada was here.

Books ARE the basis however, it is easier for me to go on line and read Srimad Bhagavatam, than walk over to my book shelve and get a book. Actually the photos look better on the internet and it is easier to read on my 22in Screen.

I now prefer the READING OF PRABHUPADA'S BOOKS on my computer to 'book' reading.

In fact ALL my reading of Prabhupada’s books are from the Internet. I still hand out books but also tell others to also go on line.

Hello! Welcome to the 21st century!!

The Times They Are A Changing

Amazing how these Indian guests know so much Sanskrit verses by heart.

Dr. Patel: If they understand that there is unity and nothing else but Krishna, then they are released from the māyā’s condition.

Prabhupāda: Yes, yes.

Dr. Patel: Otherwise, they are going…

Prabhupāda: If anyone knows that, “Wherever I go, Krishna’s supremacy is there. Krishna's supreme is there.” But he is perplexed, dvandva-mohena, that “If I leave Krishna, I become more happy.” That is dvandva-mohaḥ.

Dr. Patel: Dvandva-mohaḥ means all duality of this…

Prabhupāda: Yes, duality. He’s making duality that “Krishna’s interest and my interest, different.”

Mr. Sar: All likes and dislikes.

Prabhupāda: “Krishna’s interest and my interests, different.” That is dvandva-moha. When he understands that “My interest and Krishna’s interest is the same,” then it is not dvandva-moha.

Dr. Patel: Dvandva-mohena bhārata.

Mr. Sar: Yeṣāṁ tv anta-gataṁ pāpaṁ janānāṁ puṇya-karmaṇām…

Prabhupāda: Ah. This dvandva-mohaḥ exists with the sinful man, but one who is freed from all sinful reactions, resultant actions, he can understand Krishna.

Mr. Sar: Te dvandva-moha-nirmuktā bhajante māṁ dṛḍha-vratāḥ [Bg. 7.28]

Prabhupāda: Māṁ dṛḍha-vratāḥ. Then he engages himself dṛḍha-vratāḥ: “No, I am simply servant of Krishna. That’s all.”

Mr. Sar: Jarā-maraṇa-mokṣāya mām āśritya yatanti ye, te brahma…

Prabhupāda: Now, here, here the real problem is jarā-maraṇa- mokṣāya. But they are, these people, they are engaged in paltry things. The real business is how to become free from the janma- mṛtyu-jarā-vyādhi. They do not know that. Real, real purpose of life they do not know. Take any big leader. He does not know what is the aim of life. What is the problem of life, he does not know. Mūḍha na abhijānanti, mūḍha māṁ nābhijānanti.

Dr. Patel: Mūḍha mām abhijānanti.

Mr. Sar: Mūḍho ’yaṁ nābhijānāti [Bg. 7.25].

Prabhupāda: Yes.

Morning Walk Conversation

with His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupāda

March 31, 1974, Bombay

full conversation: http://causelessmercy.com/t/t/740331mw.bom.htm?i=1974

Yes reading is the same as hearing. But will still need to approach this in a thoughtful way. One can "hear" without hearing and likewise one can read without reading.

What I mean is one can sit everyday before the guru and hear SB class and still never actually hear in the spiritual sense. We saw in Iskcon the circus phenomena of those who had the most association with Srila Prabhupada's vani made collosal spectacles out of themselves by immediately upon his departure construct vyasasana for themselves, place those vyasasana's right in fron of His Divine Grace's vyasasana and receive worship in his place.

What real hearing took place among these that supposedly heard the most? Apparently not much.

My belief is real hearing comes when Paramatma allows the soul access to the meaniong of the acarya's words no matter if one hears his vapuh speak, hears a tape or reads his commentaries.

It is the quickening of the Lord's spiritual touch that makes the difference.

Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaja:

Once an avadhuta came to the assembly of King Vikramaditya and challenged the king's council members. He had been carrying a human skull, and now he put it on the table and asked, “Who can tell whether this person was very intelligent or foolish during his lifetime?” No one could answer, so he said, “I have wasted my time here. Everyone here is foolish, because nobody can answer.” King Vikramaditya said, “One of my counselors, Kalidasa, is coming in a few moments. He may answer you. Please don't be angry.” Kalidasa soon came, and that man again asked the question. Kalidasa picked up a coconut leaf straw. He put it in one ear of the skull and it came out the other. He then said, “Oh, he was foolish. If the straw would have gone in one ear and then down towards the heart, that would have indicated intelligence.” Don’t be foolish. Be intelligent.