IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

Uddhava Gita now available

Rate this topic

If Radhe Radhe can answer this question, he will defeat his own argument.

I don't see how. I still don't think that you MUST have a commentary to read a holy scripture. Even if I used a commentary to help ME, that doesn't mean that someone else who reads the same passage couldn't receive the wisdom to understand it by Sri Radha-Krishna's grace and mercy. Understanding the passage is caused by the compassion of Radha and Krishna toward Their devotees. Even with a commentary, without the grace of Radha-Krishna, we can't understand a single word of the scriptures.

I don't see how. I still don't think that you MUST have a commentary to read a holy scripture. Even if I used a commentary to help ME, that doesn't mean that someone else who reads the same passage couldn't receive the wisdom to understand it by Sri Radha-Krishna's grace and mercy. Understanding the passage is caused by the compassion of Radha and Krishna toward Their devotees. Even with a commentary, without the grace of Radha-Krishna, we can't understand a single word of the scriptures.

I agree with what RadheRade wrote above. However we must admit that while the idea of a wheel can be given to anyone by God's grace it makes more sense just to use the one's that are already here. By hearing from the self realized we can be saved much time and effort avoiding mistakes common to spiritual seekers and by availing ourselves of the wisdom of their accumulated knowledge our progress can become greatly accelerated.

Not to mention the fact that Krsna likes it when His devotees are respectfully listened to.

It can just as easily be said that we don't need the scriptures because Krsna is in our hearts and can reveal whatever is in the scriptures directly to us.

But this approach is like being lost at sea and when the Coast Guard arrives to rescue us and throws us a line we say, "No thanks, I don't need your help because I can swim and the current will eventually take me to land anyway."

But your point that even with commentary from a vaisnava it takes the grace of Supersoul to understand that correctly. This is an extremely valuable point. This point is missed by the majority who think they have a connection with Guru apart from the Lord in the heart. This idea is actually prevalent and grossly foolish because the Guru IS the external manifestation of Supersoul Himself.

For those that think they have a relationship with guru but not with Supersoul I will say your relationship with guru is nothing more than a shadow despite all the display of worship you may appear to give him.

I didn't say that commentaries were bad, but I think that we can meditate on the passages without commentaries. I have great respect for Vishvanatha Chakravarti Thakura, and I think that he was very holy and the perfect example of a devotee of Sri Radha-Krishna, but I don't think that it's impossible to understand a holy book without his commentary.

Jai Radhe-Madhava!

It will only be possible if we are self realized ourselves.

I know for myself that I am not on that platform yet so therefore it is neccessary for me to have those commentaries.

But if the name "Radha" is never uttered by Sukadeva Goswami in the Srimad Bhagavatam, how do you know Her name? How does Sri Guru fit into this picture?

But if the name "Radha" is never uttered by Sukadeva Goswami in the Srimad Bhagavatam, how do you know Her name? How does Sri Guru fit into this picture?

How do we know Her name was your question? How did Sukadeva Goswami know Her name? Thousands of years of oral tradition. What you replied to wasn't to you. Guru fit into the reply I made to that person.

It will only be possible if we are self realized ourselves.

I know for myself that I am not on that platform yet so therefore it is neccessary for me to have those commentaries.

What about people who get information from "gurus" who aren't self-realized? I mean, a lot of the reason why people even have a problem with ISKCON is because there have been several gurus who weren't self-realized and hurt people. Don't get me wrong, I like having commentaries, I just don't think they're absolutely necessary.

What about people who get information from "gurus" who aren't self-realized? I mean, a lot of the reason why people even have a problem with ISKCON is because there have been several gurus who weren't self-realized and hurt people. Don't get me wrong, I like having commentaries, I just don't think they're absolutely necessary.

Guru means self realized.

If a "guru" isn't self realized then how can he be called guru?

Nityananda Prabhu is Guru tattva- whoever is a pure devotee of Nityananda Prabhu is an actual guru.

So since the Uddhava Gita is part of the Srimad Bhagavatam, what reason would there be to make another book out of it? The answer is that a separate book is made to stress the commentaries. This is done in both the personal and impersonal approach.

The point about Srimati Radharani's name not being mentioned in the Tenth Canto of the Srimad Bhagavatam (as a rhetorical question) went right over your head. You've accepted a member name that includes Her name. From the viewpoint of the Gaudiya Vaisnavas and therefore Srila Prabhupada's Krsna Book, the entire Srimad Bhagavatam culminates in the Rasa Lila. Then the Rasa Lila itself culminates in Krsna leaving with a special Gopi and then what ensues. Yet in the entire Srimad Bhagavatam, including the Tenth Canto, Her Name is never mentioned except in an indirect, hidden way. Srila Sridhar Maharaj explains that there are two reasons that Sukadava Goswami did not mention Her Name directly. The first and external reason is that that many in the audience at Naimasaranya were of an impersonal inclination and therefore not yet qualified. The second, internal reason is explained in an interesting way by Sripad B. G. Narasingha Maharaja,

... to why Sukadeva Goswami has not directly mentioned the name of Radharani in Srimad-Bhagavatam. Jiva Goswami points out that if Sukadeva spoke the name of Radharani directly, he would have entered avista-citta, a state of trance, and become inert for six months. Thus Pariksit Maharaja, who was destined to die in seven days, would not have been able to hear the Bhagavatam.

So here we can see that the explantion of the reasons of why Srimati Radharani's name was not spoken to the sages by Sukadeva Goswami is coming to us through our gurus. We can also see that the second, internal reason comes from the tika or commentary of Srila Jiva Goswami. This was Jiva Goswami's unique realization and there is clear evidence that such an explanation was not revealed previously in the guru parampara.

How do we know Her name was your question? How did Sukadeva Goswami know Her name? Thousands of years of oral tradition.

Your explanation is wrong. Srila Sukadeva Goswami heard the Srimad Bhagavatam from his father while he was in the womb. His father, Srila Vyasadeva saw these pastimes or lilas of Bhagavan Sri Krsna in a devotional trance after receiving instructions from his guru, Sri Narada Muni, directly.

The commentaries or tikas are the realized explanations of our previous acaryas or gurus. So if we follow your logic you are essentially saying, "Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of having a guru coming in a line of gurus, I just don't think they're absolutely necessary." Whether or not some ISKCON gurus are or were qualified or not is relevant in this context. And as Srila Prabhupada has told us, the fact that there is Fools Gold and people are cheated by it, doesn't mean that real gold does not exists. That persons are cheated by Fools Gold points out that real gold does exist.

Guru means self realized.

If a "guru" isn't self realized then how can he be called guru?

Nityananda Prabhu is Guru tattva- whoever is a pure devotee of Nityananda Prabhu is an actual guru.

I put it in quotations to show that they claim the title, but they aren't true gurus.

Yes, I was simply clarifying what you were saying.

As I was explaining though, Vishvanatha Chakravarti Thakura is not one of these fake "gurus". Rather he was a pure devotee.

Krishna is pleased if you learn about him through his pure devotee, although he has the full capacity to impart instructions to you also, as he is the chaitya guru.

So for me it goes both ways, I will be benefited by reading his commentaries (I will be able to understand better) and Krishna will be pleased.

Jai Nitai!

indulekhadasi

Beggar: So since the Uddhava Gita is part of the Srimad Bhagavatam, what reason would there be to make another book out of it? The answer is that a separate book is made to stress the commentaries. This is done in both the personal and impersonal approach.

RadheRade-I don’t think it’s made to stress the commentaries. I think it’s made to spread Krishna's message to the average-joe who just go to a bookstore and sees it, and thinks “Oh, this is interesting.” Not every bookstore carries the Bhagavatam. I had to get my Bhagavatam online, b/c there aren't any Vaishnava bookstores around here. What you say is like saying “Why do people publish the Bhagavad Gita separately when it’s included in the Mahabharata? To stress the commentaries.” But that’s not the case, since some versions of the Gita don’t even come with commentaries. It’s to spread the message of Krishna to everyone, not just people who are willing to read the massive Mahabharata.

B: The point about Srimati Radharani's name not being mentioned in the Tenth Canto of the Srimad Bhagavatam (as a rhetorical question) went right over your head. You've accepted a member name that includes Her name. From the viewpoint of the Gaudiya Vaisnavas and therefore Srila Prabhupada's Krsna Book, the entire Srimad Bhagavatam culminates in the Rasa Lila. Then the Rasa Lila itself culminates in Krsna leaving with a special Gopi and then what ensues. Yet in the entire Srimad Bhagavatam, including the Tenth Canto, Her Name is never mentioned except in an indirect, hidden way. Srila Sridhar Maharaj explains that there are two reasons that Sukadava Goswami did not mention Her Name directly. The first and external reason is that that many in the audience at Naimasaranya were of an impersonal inclination and therefore not yet qualified. The second, internal reason is explained in an interesting way by Sripad B. G. Narasingha Maharaja

RR- I mentioned the second “internal reason”… that’s the one I used if you would‘ve looked at my post. I’d never heard about the impersonalist thing. But, if that were the case, why would He even expose Krishna’s name to them?

B: So here we can see that the explantion of the reasons of why Srimati Radharani's name was not spoken to the sages by Sukadeva Goswami is coming to us through our gurus. We can also see that the second, internal reason comes from the tika or commentary of Srila Jiva Goswami. This was Jiva Goswami's unique realization and there is clear evidence that such an explanation was not revealed previously in the guru parampara.

RR- People already assumed that He left with Radharani, though. His commentary is extremely interesting on why Her name was left out, but people already knew that She was the most important of all the gopis and the most devoted. So, since they already know that, it’s reasonable to think that anyone reading it would assume that it was Radha. That’s why people were devoted to Her even in the Middle Ages. It’s like in the Gospel of John, how he never says the name “Mary”, but when he says “the mother of Jesus”, people who have only read that gospel already know that her name is ‘Mary’ from oral tradition.

B:Your explanation is wrong. Srila Sukadeva Goswami heard the Srimad Bhagavatam from his father while he was in the womb. His father, Srila Vyasadeva saw these pastimes or lilas of Bhagavan Sri Krsna in a devotional trance after receiving instructions from his guru, Sri Narada Muni, directly.

RR- So, you're saying that no one know Radharani's name from the time of Krishna to the time of Sukadeva Goswami? All you said was that his father saw the lilas in a vision. That doesn't mean that people didn't know the name of Radharani before that. Isn't the MahaMantra supposed to be ancient? Well, how would people even know Radharani's name "Hara" if She wasn't known of at that time? I hardly think She'd be given a title if people didn't know who She was.

B:The commentaries or tikas are the realized explanations of our previous acaryas or gurus. So if we follow your logic you are essentially saying, "Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of having a guru coming in a line of gurus, I just don't think they're absolutely necessary."

RR- I don't care if someone has come from this line of gurus or that line of gurus. If someone's teaching makes sense, I don't even care if they're an initiated guru or not, I still listen to it. So, no. If someone told me an insight that they had about a verse of the Bhagavatam or the Gita, even if it was the first verse they'd ever heard from them, I'd still listen, and, if it was sensical, I'd follow it. That would be someone's commentary other than a guru's, which I would appreciate and listen to.

B:Whether or not some ISKCON gurus are or were qualified or not is relevant in this context. And as Srila Prabhupada has told us, the fact that there is Fools Gold and people are cheated by it, doesn't mean that real gold does not exists. That persons are cheated by Fools Gold points out that real gold does exist

RR- I was just trying to show that just b/c someone claims the title of guru doesn't always mean that they're perfect.

So, you're saying that no one know Radharani's name from the time of Krishna to the time of Sukadeva Goswami?

That period of time was very brief. But who knew Srimati Radharani's name during the time of Krsna's manifest lila? Who on Earth knew it before?

I also agree.

Also .. being "guru" doesn't mean being "paramguru". Being "self-realized" does not necessarily mean being "eternally self-realized".

If you are self realized 24/7 means that you are eternally with Krsna. If that is the case, then you are not likely here on planet earth.

You experience your true identity (self) when the Lord gives His darshan. But it doesn't mean because the Blessed Lord gave darshan that you are all knowledgable.

For non self realized persons, you can speak only on the authority of the realized acharyas, the saints.

Anything else is speculation. Speculation too is alright, when presented as speculation, or done as honest inquiry into the Truth.

Self realized souls can speak on the authority of the Lord Himself. Even then, they cannot speak authoratively beyond the revelation (realization).

In fact, they may is some cases not speak authoratively at all as the darshan of the Lord may be "private revelation" meant only for the devotee but not for the whole of humanity.

Commentary therefore, on scripture, from a realized person, is like "sampradaya" or personality. The sampradaya is formed when the followers of the sampradaya are attracted to the personality of the guru.

That is, the flavor of guru's realizations are attractive to the personal chemistry of the devotee.

Srila Prabhupada considered his sampradaya flavor to be the best, .. the "rose among flowers". It doesn't mean the other flowers are not still beautifully adorned and sweetly scented.

I am also reminded that Sri Chaitanya would not comment on scripture in one case. He said "it was self explanatory" ..

Yes, I was simply clarifying what you were saying.

As I was explaining though, Vishvanatha Chakravarti Thakura is not one of these fake "gurus". Rather he was a pure devotee.

Krishna is pleased if you learn about him through his pure devotee, although he has the full capacity to impart instructions to you also, as he is the chaitya guru.

So for me it goes both ways, I will be benefited by reading his commentaries (I will be able to understand better) and Krishna will be pleased.

Jai Nitai!

indulekhadasi

I hope you don't think I was insulting Vishvanatha Chakravarti Thakura! I absolutely love his teaching and I think that he was a very pure devotee of Sri Sri Radha-Krishna! And, yes, I do agree that Radha and Krishna are extremely pleased when you take any step to learn more about Them, especially if you go to a guru, who is usually a teacher of Their wisdom. I hope you didn't get the wrong impression! I was just saying that I think that Sri Krishna is just as pleased with us when we read His words without commentary as He is when we do, and that sometimes some gurus (definitely not including Sri Vishvanatha Chakravarti Thakura!) impart the wrong knowledge to devotees, or don't follow the message themselves.

Jai Sri Vishvanatha Chakravarti Thakura!

Jai Sri Sri Radhe-Krishna! ;)

Well then RadheRade1657, Let's see if you can answer these two questions: Why is Srimati Radharani's name not mentioned by Sukadeva Goswami in the Srimad Bhagavatam? And since it is a fact that Her name is not mentioned, how do we know it was Srimati Radharani who left the main rasa dance with Krsna?

Because her name is not mentioned in the original Sabskrit text either.

Listen to yourselves all this talk about so-called enlightened gurus and how Advaitans are un-vedic impersonalists. Prabhupada's philosophy isn't without its own flaws.

Edit: Actually let's not derail this thread, I'll make another one on this subject.

That period of time was very brief. But who knew Srimati Radharani's name during the time of Krsna's manifest lila? Who on Earth knew it before?

Around two hundred years passed from Krishna's death to the time when the Bhagavatam is traditionally said to have been put into writing (although there's some controversy regarding both the date and the author). So how do we know that Sri Sukadeva Goswami's father didn't hear the name of Radharani from his father who, in turn, heard it from his father, who heard it from his father? It could've been as popular a name as Krishna's by that time for all we know. I mean, hardly anyone knew or cared about, for example, Vincent VanGogh when he was painting, but now, around 150 years later, everyone knows that he was a painter and he is now a household name!

Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Bhagavad-gītā As It Is 4.34

tad viddhi praṇipātena

paripraśnena sevayā

upadekṣyanti te jñānaḿ

jñāninas tattva-darśinaḥ

SYNONYMS

tat — that knowledge of different sacrifices; viddhi — try to understand; praṇipātena — by approaching a spiritual master; paripraśnena — by submissive inquiries; sevayā — by the rendering of service; upadekṣyanti — they will initiate; te — you; jñānam — into knowledge; jñāninaḥ — the self-realized; tattva — of the truth; darśinaḥ — seers.

TRANSLATION

Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master. Inquire from him submissively and render service unto him. The self-realized souls can impart knowledge unto you because they have seen the truth.

PURPORT

The path of spiritual realization is undoubtedly difficult. The Lord therefore advises us to approach a bona fide spiritual master in the line of disciplic succession from the Lord Himself. No one can be a bona fide spiritual master without following this principle of disciplic succession. The Lord is the original spiritual master, and a person in the disciplic succession can convey the message of the Lord as it is to his disciple. No one can be spiritually realized by manufacturing his own process, as is the fashion of the foolish pretenders. The Bhāgavatam (6.3.19) says, dharmaḿ tu sākṣād bhagavat-praṇītam: the path of religion is directly enunciated by the Lord. Therefore, mental speculation or dry arguments cannot help lead one to the right path. Nor by independent study of books of knowledge can one progress in spiritual life. One has to approach a bona fide spiritual master to receive the knowledge. Such a spiritual master should be accepted in full surrender, and one should serve the spiritual master like a menial servant, without false prestige. Satisfaction of the self-realized spiritual master is the secret of advancement in spiritual life. Inquiries and submission constitute the proper combination for spiritual understanding. Unless there is submission and service, inquiries from the learned spiritual master will not be effective. One must be able to pass the test of the spiritual master, and when he sees the genuine desire of the disciple, he automatically blesses the disciple with genuine spiritual understanding. In this verse, both blind following and absurd inquiries are condemned. Not only should one hear submissively from the spiritual master, but one must also get a clear understanding from him, in submission and service and inquiries. A bona fide spiritual master is by nature very kind toward the disciple. Therefore when the student is submissive and is always ready to render service, the reciprocation of knowledge and inquiries becomes perfect.

Bhaktivedanta VedaBase:

Bhagavad-gītā As It Is 4.42

tasmād ajñāna-sambhūtaḿ

hṛt-sthaḿ jñānāsinātmanaḥ

chittvainaḿ saḿśayaḿ yogam

ātiṣṭhottiṣṭha bhārata

SYNONYMS

tasmāt — therefore; ajñāna-sambhūtam — born of ignorance; hṛt-stham — situated in the heart; jñāna — of knowledge; asinā — by the weapon; ātmanaḥ — of the self; chittvā — cutting off; enam — this; saḿśayam — doubt; yogamin yoga; ātiṣṭha — be situated; uttiṣṭha — stand up to fight; bhārataO descendant of Bharata.

TRANSLATION

Therefore the doubts which have arisen in your heart out of ignorance should be slashed by the weapon of knowledge. Armed with yoga, O Bhārata, stand and fight.

PURPORT

The yoga system instructed in this chapter is called sanātana-yoga, or eternal activities performed by the living entity. This yoga has two divisions of sacrificial actions: one is called sacrifice of one's material possessions, and the other is called knowledge of self, which is pure spiritual activity. If sacrifice of one's material possessions is not dovetailed for spiritual realization, then such sacrifice becomes material. But one who performs such sacrifices with a spiritual objective, or in devotional service, makes a perfect sacrifice. When we come to spiritual activities, we find that these are also divided into two: namely, understanding of one's own self (or one's constitutional position), and the truth regarding the Supreme Personality of Godhead. One who follows the path of Bhagavad-gītā as it is can very easily understand these two important divisions of spiritual knowledge. For him there is no difficulty in obtaining perfect knowledge of the self as part and parcel of the Lord. And such understanding is beneficial, for such a person can easily understand the transcendental activities of the Lord. In the beginning of this chapter, the transcendental activities of the Lord were discussed by the Supreme Lord Himself. One who does not understand the instructions of the Gītā is faithless, and is to be considered to be misusing the fragmental independence awarded to him by the Lord. In spite of such instructions, one who does not understand the real nature of the Lord as the eternal, blissful, all-knowing Personality of Godhead is certainly fool number one. Ignorance can be removed by gradual acceptance of the principles of Kṛṣṇa consciousness. Kṛṣṇa consciousness is awakened by different types of sacrifices to the demigods, sacrifice to Brahman, sacrifice in celibacy, in household life, in controlling the senses, in practicing mystic yoga, in penance, in forgoing material possessions, in studying the Vedas, and in partaking of the social institution called varṇāśrama-dharma. All of these are known as sacrifice, and all of them are based on regulated action. But within all these activities, the important factor is self-realization. One who seeks that objective is the real student of Bhagavad-gītā, but one who doubts the authority of Kṛṣṇa falls back. One is therefore advised to study Bhagavad-gītā, or any other scripture, under a bona fide spiritual master, with service and surrender. A bona fide spiritual master is in the disciplic succession from time eternal, and he does not deviate at all from the instructions of the Supreme Lord as they were imparted millions of years ago to the sun-god, from whom the instructions of Bhagavad-gītā have come down to the earthly kingdom. One should, therefore, follow the path of Bhagavad-gītā as it is expressed in the Gītā itself and beware of self-interested people after personal aggrandizement who deviate others from the actual path. The Lord is definitely the supreme person, and His activities are transcendental. One who understands this is a liberated person from the very beginning of his study of Bhagavad-gītā.

Thus end the Bhaktivedanta Purports to the Fourth Chapter of the Śrīmad Bhagavad-gītā in the matter of Transcendental Knowledge.

Don't Be Attached

Badger, California: June 17, 2006

Tridandisvami Sri Srimad Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaja

Regarding our daily discussions on the Eleventh Canto of Srimad-Bhagavatam, Lord Sri Krsna is telling Uddhava about the discussion between Avadhuta Dattatreya and Maharaja Yadu. [*See Endnote 1] Dattatreya has been explaining his 24 natural siksa-gurus, and in that regard we have explained up to the pigeon.

Those who want to perform bhajana should remember how the pigeon was absorbed in his engagement with his wife and children. What happened to him because of this? He could not see his death before him, and he himself thus fell into the trap of the hunter and lost his life. Always remember this. As for the hunter, he became very happy. He collected the he-pigeon's children and wife, along with the he-pigeon in his net, threw the net over his shoulder, went home and cooked them all. Remember this: Don't be attached; don't be attached.

All living beings want happiness and they want to stop suffering, but still suffering comes. Suffering comes and does not leave us, so that we may taste it. We will have to suffer, wherever we live. Those who know what is happiness and suffering should not exert any effort for them. If happiness is there in one's destiny from previous lives, it will come automatically.

tat-prayaso na kartavyo

yata ayur-vyayah param

na tatha vindate ksemam

mukunda-caranambujam

["Endeavors merely for sense gratification or material happiness through economic development are not to be performed, for they result only in a loss of time and energy, with no actual profit. If one’s endeavors are directed toward Krsna consciousness, one can surely attain the spiritual platform of self-realization. There is no such benefit from engaging oneself in economic development." (Srimad-Bhagavatam 7.6.4)]

You should not do anything for sense gratification. All kinds of happiness will come automatically, as it is destined. In this regard, Dattatreya has given an example of a python.

The python lives only in one place. Even if he does not eat for so many days, he will not try to obtain food. If any animal automatically comes in front of him without any effort on his part, he will eat it and be satisfied. A sadhu should be like that – always engaging his senses in Krsna consciousness.

samrddha-kamo hino va

narayana-paro munih

notsarpeta na susyeta

saridbhir iva sagarah

["During the rainy season the swollen rivers rush into the ocean, and during the dry summer the rivers, now shallow, severely reduce their supply of water. Yet, the ocean does not swell up during the rainy season, nor does it dry up in the hot summer. In the same way, a saintly devotee who has accepted the Supreme Personality of Godhead as the goal of his life will sometimes receive by providence great material opulence, and sometimes he will find himself materially destitute. However, such a devotee of the Lord does not rejoice in a flourishing condition, nor is he morose when poverty-stricken." (Srimad-Bhagavatam 11.8.7)]

drstva striyam deva-mayam

tad-bhavair ajitendriyah

pralobhitah pataty andhe

tamasy agnau patanga-vat

["One who has failed to control his senses immediately feels attraction upon seeing a woman’s form, which is created by the illusory energy of the Supreme Lord. Indeed, when the woman speaks with enticing words, smiles coquettishly and moves her body sensuously, his mind is immediately captured. He thus falls blindly into the darkness of material existence, just as the moth maddened by the fire rushes blindly into its flames." (Srimad-Bhagavatam 11.8.7)]

Sannyasis, brahmacaris and brahmacarinis should all be very careful. The moth sees the flame of a fire, and at once becomes attached. He goes circling and then jumps into it. What is the meaning? You must be careful. Be aware that ladies are daivi-maya (the bodies of ladies are manifestations of God's illusory energy). They are even more beautiful than gentlemen. And for women, men are maya. So always be very, very careful.

There are two kinds of varna-asrama: smarta and daivi. Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura Prabhupada, Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura and Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaja tried to establish daivi varna-asrama dharma. If you are married, you should be satisfied with one husband or wife. You should not change or divorce your husband or wife for your entire life. This is varna-asrama. We should accept what is favorable for us and reject what is unfavorable. This will be helpful in our Krsna consciousness.

Persons who are attached to gold and ornaments and other perishable things, and always want to relish them, are foolish. They should not do so.

stokam stokam grased grasam

deho varteta yavata

grhan ahimsann atisthed

vrttim madhukarim munih

["A saintly person should accept only enough food to keep his body and soul together. He should go from door to door accepting just a little bit of food from each family. Thus he should practice the occupation of the honeybee." (Srimad-Bhagavatam 11.8.9)]

Renounced-order sannyasis should be like bumblebees. They should go to the householders' homes, after the householder has taken his lunch. They should not be a burden on any householders. They should take a little from each of so many houses – as bumblebees take just a little honey from each of many flowers. Sannyasis should be like that. They should not be a burden on anyone.

Dattatreya said, "I have learned from the bumblebees that sannyasis should not collect for the evening or the next day. They should collect enough foodstuffs for taking one time, and they should be satisfied. If the bumblebees collect extra, the honey collector will come and take their beehive, place it in his cloth and squeeze it (squashing the bees inside) to get out the honey." Don't be like those bees.

padapi yuvatim bhiksur

na sprsed daravim api

sprsan kariva badhyeta

karinya anga-sangatah

["A saintly person should never touch a young girl. In fact, he should not even let his foot touch a wooden doll in the shape of a woman. By bodily contact with a woman he will surely be captured by illusion, just as the elephant is captured by the she-elephant due to his desire to touch her body." (Srimad-Bhagavatam 11.8.13)]

Sannyasis and brahmacaris should be very careful – otherwise they will be like the he-elephant who is captured by a she-elephant. Ladies may come and attract a sannyasi, and thus he falls down. Due to his attachment he thinks, "What I have done is okay. I have left sannyasa – no harm. It is okay – we should be householders." If such a thing is okay, then why did Ramanujacarya, Madhvacarya, Nimbaditya and Visnusvami and their generations create hundreds of thousands of sannyasis? In our sampraydaya, Madhavendra Puripada, Isvara Puripada and Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu were sannyasis, and so many sannyasis are still coming in our sampradaya. Srila Prabhupada Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura made tridandi sannyasis, and they are still coming. Renunciation is very good, and it comes after some time.

Try to conquer your senses – especially the tongue. The tongue has no backbone. It is not controlled; it can tell anything to anyone. We should try to control it. If your tongue is controlled, all other senses will be controlled.

The fish cannot control his tongue. Fish are found in ponds, rivers and oceans. Fishermen go there and try to catch the fish by using a fishing rod and attaching some flesh as the bait. The fish at once jumps and takes the bait, and it is caught. Then, the fisherman takes the fish home and cooks it.

We should try to control our tongue. Don't speak anything wrong. Vaco vegam – if the tongue is controlled, there will be no offense to Vaisnavas, to the holy names or to anyone in general.

Dattatreya continued speaking to King Yadu, and now he told him about his siksa-guru named Pingala. In ancient times, in Videha-nagari where King Janaka used to live, there was a prostitute named Pingala. A sadhaka should always remember this history of Pingala. *[see endnote 1]

asa hi paramam duhkham

nairasyam paramam sukham

yatha sanchidya kantasam

sukham susvapa pingala

["Material desire is undoubtedly the cause of the greatest unhappiness, and freedom from such desire is the cause of the greatest happiness. Therefore, completely cutting off her desire to enjoy so-called lovers, Pingala very happily went to sleep." (Srimad-Bhagavatam 11.8.44)]

After experiencing miseries and frustration in her profession, she gave up her worldly desires and began to think, "Lord Krsna is very dear to my heart, but I have not tried to please Him. Regarding these persons who will die one day – what happiness have they given to me? No happiness at all. They enjoyed my body, I became theirs, and I lost everything. Somehow, by the mercy of Krsna, I have now renounced them, and this renunciation will take me to Krsna."

Pingala then closed the door of her house, lied down to sleep and slept very well. And afterwards she became a good devotee. We should always remember this history, and try to be very careful.

The avadhuta named Dattatreya explained all this to King Yadu, and Lord Krsna repeated that explanation to Uddhava. Why did He tell this history? He did this to teach you that you must detach yourself from this world. Don't have any attachment to this world; give your whole heart to please Krsna. Life is short, but it can give the highest goal – even service to Srimati Radhika. We do not know when death will come, so we should give our entire effort and energy to Krsna consciousness.

Gaura premanande.

Tamopaha prabhu has kindly donated a mini-bus for the school children and teachers to travel here and there, to preach. I want this school to progress. So many children from all over the world should come here, and this should be an ideal school. It is ideal already.

[*Endnote 1 – from Srimad-Bhagavatam 11.8.22-44. Spoken by the avadhuta (sage) Dattatreya:

O son of kings, previously in the city of Videha there dwelled a prostitute named Pingala. Now please hear what I have learned from that lady. Once that prostitute, desiring to bring a lover into her house, stood outside in the doorway at night, showing her beautiful form. O best among men, this prostitute was very anxious to get money, and as she stood on the street at night she studied all the men who were passing by, thinking, "Oh, this one surely has money. I know he can pay the price, and I am sure he would enjoy my company very much." Thus she thought about all the men on the street.

As the prostitute Pingala stood in the doorway, many men came and went, walking by her house. Her only means of sustenance was prostitution, and therefore she anxiously thought, "Maybe this one who is coming now is very rich...Oh, he is not stopping, but I am sure someone else will come. Surely this man who is coming now will want to pay me for my love, and he will probably give lots of money." Thus, with vain hope, she remained leaning against the doorway, unable to finish her business and go to sleep. Out of anxiety she would sometimes walk out toward the street, and sometimes she went back into her house. In this way, the midnight hour gradually arrived.

As the night wore on, the prostitute, who intensely desired money, gradually became morose, and her face dried up. Thus being filled with anxiety for money and most disappointed, she began to feel a great detachment from her situation, and happiness arose in her mind. The prostitute felt disgusted with her material situation and thus became indifferent to it. Indeed, detachment acts like a sword, cutting to pieces the binding network of material hopes and desires. Now please hear from me the song sung by the prostitute in that situation.

O King, just as a human being who is bereft of spiritual knowledge never desires to give up his false sense of proprietorship over many material things, similarly, a person who has not developed detachment never desires to give up the bondage of the material body. The prostitute Pingala said: "Just see how greatly illusioned I am! Because I cannot control my mind, just like a fool I desire lusty pleasure from an insignificant man. I am such a fool that I have given up the service of that person who, being eternally situated within my heart, is actually most dear to me. That most dear one is the Lord of the universe, who is the bestower of real love and happiness and the source of all prosperity. Although He is in my own heart, I have completely neglected Him. Instead I have ignorantly served insignificant men who can never satisfy my real desires and who have simply brought me unhappiness, fear, anxiety, lamentation and illusion. Oh, how I have uselessly tortured my own soul! I have sold my body to lusty, greedy men who are themselves objects of pity. Thus practicing the most abominable profession of a prostitute, I hoped to get money and sex pleasure.

"This material body is like a house in which I, the soul, am living. The bones forming my spine, ribs, arms and legs are like the beams, crossbeams and pillars of the house, and the whole structure, which is full of stool and urine, is covered by skin, hair and nails. The nine doors leading into this body are constantly excreting foul substances. Besides me, what woman could be so foolish as to devote herself to this material body, thinking that she might find pleasure and love in this contraption? Certainly in this city of Videha I alone am completely foolish. I neglected the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who awards us everything, even our original spiritual form, and instead I desired to enjoy sense gratification with many men. The Supreme Personality of Godhead is absolutely the most dear one for all living beings because He is everyone's well-wisher and Lord. He is the Supreme Soul situated in everyone's heart. Therefore I will now pay the price of complete surrender, and thus purchasing the Lord I will enjoy with Him just like Laksmidevi.

"Men provide sense gratification for women, but all these men, and even the demigods in heaven, have a beginning and an end. They are all temporary creations who will be dragged away by time. Therefore how much actual pleasure or happiness could any of them ever give to their wives? Although I most stubbornly hoped to enjoy the material world, somehow or other detachment has arisen in my heart, and it is making me very happy. Therefore the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Visnu, must be pleased with me. Without even knowing it, I must have performed some activity satisfying to Him.

"A person who has developed detachment can give up the bondage of material society, friendship and love, and a person who undergoes great suffering gradually becomes, out of hopelessness, detached and indifferent to the material world. Thus, due to my great suffering, such detachment awoke in my heart; yet how could I have undergone such merciful suffering if I were actually unfortunate? Therefore, I am in fact fortunate and have received the mercy of the Lord. He must somehow or other be pleased with me. With devotion I accept the great benefit that the Lord has bestowed upon me. Having given up my sinful desires for ordinary sense gratification, I now take shelter of Him, the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

"I am now completely satisfied, and I have full faith in the Lord's mercy. Therefore I will maintain myself with whatever comes of its own accord. I shall enjoy life with only the Lord, because He is the real source of love and happiness. The intelligence of the living entity is stolen away by activities of sense gratification, and thus he falls into the dark well of material existence. Within that well he is then seized by the deadly serpent of time. Who else but the Supreme Personality of Godhead could save the poor living entity from such a hopeless condition?

"When the living entity sees that the entire universe has been seized by the serpent of time, he becomes sober and sane and at that time detaches himself from all material sense gratification. In that condition the living entity is qualified to be his own protector."

The avadhuta said: Thus, her mind completely made up, Pingala cut off all her sinful desires to enjoy sex pleasure with lovers, and she became situated in perfect peace. Then she sat down on her bed. Material desire is undoubtedly the cause of the greatest unhappiness, and freedom from such desire is the cause of the greatest happiness. Therefore, completely cutting off her desire to enjoy so-called lovers, Pingala very happily went to sleep.

I wanted to start up a discussion on Uddhava Gita finally. I though it was interesting how the avadhuta in Chapter 1 learned to be pure from nature in the following ways:

From the earth, the avadhuta learned how to be steady. He also learned from the mountains and trees of the earth how to do good to others- how to live in this world only for other's benefit.

From life air he learned how to be satisfied with the things that keep body and soul together. He learned to be aloof from sense enjoyment from external air.

From the sky he learned that the soul is pure and free from material contamination.

From water he learned how to be naturally pure and sanctified.

From fire he learned how to eat anything but still not become contaminated, and that a charitable person will never face inauspiciousness. Finally he learned that it is the sould which illuminates the body and when the soul enters and leaves the body it is unseen.

From the moon he realized how the material body develops and then dwindles.

The sun taught him that even being in contact with material things, one can still remain pure. He also learned that the soul is unchangable and the body is simply a designation.

From the pigeon he learned the consequences of remaining attached to family life. Even a human being will fall down from his exalted position if he becomes attached to family life like a pigeon.

All glories to the 24 gurus! All glories to the avadhuta and Maharaja Yadu! All glories to Uddhava Gita!

Hare Krishna and Jai Nitai!

indulekhadasi

“Your Twenty-Four Gurus”

[This class is a continuation of the discussion of Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura's book, Sri Bhagavata Arka Maricimala]

Badger, California: June 18, 2005

Tridandisvami Sri Srimad Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaja,

Yesterday I explained the following two verses:

tasmad gurum prapadyeta

jijnasuh sreya uttamam

sabde pare ca nisnatam

brahmany upasamasrayam

[“Therefore, any person who seriously desires real happiness must seek a bona fide spiritual master and take shelter of him by initiation. The qualification of the bona fide guru is that he has realized the conclusions of the scriptures by deliberation and is able to convince others of these conclusions. Such great personalities, who have taken shelter of the Supreme Godhead, leaving aside all material considerations, should be understood to be bona fide spiritual masters.” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 11.3.21)]

tatra bhagavatan dharman

siksed gurv-atma-daivatah

amayayanuvrttya yais

tusyed atmatma-do harih

[“Accepting the bona fide spiritual master as one's life and soul and worshipable deity, the disciple should learn from him the process of pure devotional service. The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Hari, the soul of all souls, is inclined to give Himself to His pure devotees. Therefore, the disciple should learn from the spiritual master to serve the Lord without duplicity and in such a faithful and favorable way that the Supreme Lord, being satisfied, will offer Himself to the faithful disciple.” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 11.3.22)]

The root and backbone of bhajana is guru-nistha (strong faith in guru). Without strong faith in the bona fide guru, and unconditional surrender to him, you cannot begin your bhakti. You will never be able to do so.

There are two kinds of guru: diksa-guru and siksa-guru. If the diksa-guru has given all siksa (instructions) from beginning to end – teaching bhajana, the aim and object of life, and all other devotional topics – be satisfied. However, if the diksa-guru could somehow not complete this work, then a siksa-guru is needed. The siksa-guru should be of equal rank to Gurudeva, but this is very rare. At the time of Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaja there was no one equal to him in ISKCON. For his disciples, therefore, there were senior god-brothers.

Lord Sri Krsna instructed Uddhava in the Eleventh Canto of Srimad-Bhagavatam. In this regard He cited a historical narration concerning the conversation between the great King Yadu and an avadhuta [*see endnote 1] named Dattatreya. The avadhuta was questioned by the king, who asked how he had attained such an advanced state of spiritual consciousness, and he replied to the king's enquiry:

santi me guravo rajan

bahavo buddhy-upasritah

yato buddhim upadaya

mukto 'tamiha tan srnu

[“My dear King, with my intelligence I have taken shelter of many spiritual masters. Having gained transcendental understanding from them, I now wander about the Earth in a liberated condition. Please listen as I describe them to you.” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 11.7.32)]

Dattatreya is said to be a saktyavesa-avatara (a living being empowered by the Lord to act for a specific purpose). He used to travel naked without any belongings. No one knew where he was going, and even he himself did not know. Sometimes he was laughing, and sometimes weeping bitterly and rolling on the earth. His movements made him appear as though he had been captured by a ghost.

As mentioned, one day Yadu Maharaja met him and asked, “You appear extremely happy. I cannot understand your moods. Why are you weeping, laughing and rolling on the ground?”

Yadu Maharaja is teaching us to approach a spiritual master with a submissive mood.

tad viddhi pranipatena

pariprasnena sevaya

upadeksyanti te jnanam

jnaninas tattva-darsinah

[“Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master. Inquire from him submissively and render service unto him. The self-realized soul can impart knowledge unto you because he has seen the truth.” (Bhagavad-gita 4.34)]

Go to a tattva-darsi (one who has seen the Absolute Truth). He knows everything, he is self-realized, and he can remove all your doubts. Offer him obeisances, surrender to him, serve and please him. Then pray to him, “If I am qualified to hear and understand, please answer my question.” Ask in this way, and not in a challenging mood.

Yadu Maharaja did this; he asked, “You are very happy, but I cannot understand your mood. Please tell me why you are traveling, why you are happy and why you are laughing and weeping.” Dattatreya replied, “I have many gurus. I have received so many instructions from them, and I have followed those instructions. I have 24 siksa-gurus: Prthivi (the Earth), air, water, fire, the Moon, the Sun, the pigeon, the python, the ocean, the moth, the bumblebee, the elephant, the honey collector, the deer, the fish, the prostitute named Pingala, the hawk, the baby, the young unmarried girl, the arrow-maker, the snake, the spider and the wasp.

Instructions are of three kinds: 1) hearing the teachings of those who are actually sadhus; that is, guru and maha-bhagavata Vaisnavas. 2) learning from their character. We should follow the manner in which they do bhajana, conduct their daily routine and behave towards others. 3) watching here and there, and thus learning by one’s own intelligence. Dattatreya was telling about what he concluded by seeing nature. By his intelligence he took something for his own bhajana, and we should also do that.

You are very fortunate that you have either taken birth in a devotee family, or somehow Krsna has given you the intelligence to hear hari-katha. You will have to hear. What is the meaning of the word 'hear'?

Once an avadhuta (not Dattatreya) came to the assembly of King Vikramaditya and challenged the king's council members. He had been carrying a human skull, and now he put it on the table and asked, “Who can tell whether this person was very intelligent or foolish during his lifetime?” No one could answer, so he said, “I have wasted my time here. Everyone here is foolish, because nobody can answer.” King Vikramaditya said, “One of my counselors, Kalidasa, is coming in a few moments. He may answer you. Please don't be angry.” Kalidasa soon came, and that man again asked the question. Kalidasa picked up a coconut leaf straw. He put it in one ear of the skull and it came out the other. He then said, “Oh, he was foolish. If the straw would have gone in one ear and then down towards the heart, that would have indicated intelligence. ”

Don’t be foolish. Be intelligent.

Dattatreya told the king what instruction he had received from each of his twenty-four gurus.

From the Earth – Prthivi – he learned patience, tolerance, great determination and forgiveness. You can dig anywhere on the Earth, pass stool and urine anywhere on the Earth, or make houses and anything you like from the Earth; the Earth is always tolerant. Can you be so tolerant? As I told you yesterday, even if someone is beating you and doing nonsense to you, you should be tolerant and forgiving.

This is the extraordinary quality of a pure Vaisnava. If one is doing any nonsense to a Vaisnava, the Vaisnava will forgive that person. I have seen this in my guru-parampara, and we should also be like this.

Mountains – on the Earth there are many mountains. We should learn from those mountains how to work for the benefit of others. A mountain gives so many trees, herbs and water, but not for itself – for others. Your life should be for others. Also, mountains live alone, in lonely places, and their only association is that of sadhus. So many sadhus used to live in the Himalayas in India, and also at Govardhana, because those places are very silent and favorable for bhajana.

Trees – we also learn from the trees. You should be as tolerant as a tree. What are the qualities of a tree? His bark, root, leaves, fruits, flowers, dry wood and everything else is for others. Even if there is no summer rain and the tree is going to become dry, still he does not say, “Oh, give me water.” In Caitanya-Caritamrta it is said that one should be like a tree.

Air – what is the quality of air? The air lives for others. If there is no air, we cannot survive for even a moment. The air is always detached. It can take the bad fragrance from here and there – bad and good – and yet it is detached. We should be detached like the air. Don't be attached to anyone. Reserve your attachment for guru, but not a bogus guru. A bogus guru will say, “You should marry.” Nowadays this is going on. Do not have attachment to unqualified gurus. Be attached only to qualified gurus, to those who can take your heart and give it to Sri Sri Radha and Krsna.

Sky – the sky is everywhere, even in our hearts and bodies. Empty space is called sky. The sky is everywhere, and yet it is always detached. You should be like that.

Water – the qualities of water are purity, softness and refreshment. When you take a bath, your body feels pure and refreshed. Be like the water.

Fire – fire can burn stool, and still it maintains a good fragrance. After death one’s body is put in fire, and yet that fire always remains pure. We should be like that – always pure. Try to be pure to do bhajana. Purity can come by performance of bhajana; otherwise it will not come. No one can be pure without doing bhajana. One cannot become pure by performance of yoga or the execution of austerities; it is only possible by remembering Lord Sri Krsna and His sweet pastimes.

The Moon – we say that there is a first, second and third Moon, up to the full Moon; It seems there are fifteen moons, but this is not true. There are not many Moons; the Moon is one. If you go very high in space, you will see that the moon is always full. It is sometimes covered by another planet, sometimes by Rahu and at other times by Ketu. So it seems there are 15 moons, but it is not so. Similarly, there is only one God, although He has many manifestations.

The Sun – the Sun has no birth and no death, but it seems that it has taken birth. The Sun illuminates everywhere, and it therefore seems that there are many various suns. But there is only one. Similarly, Paramatma (the Lord as Supersoul) is seen in various places, but He is one. Jivas (individual souls) are so many, but Paramatma is one.

The python – don't become a python, but take instructions from him. The python remains in one place. By his fruitive karma, some animal comes nearby without any effort on his part, and he eats it. He will not go here and there in search for food. Similarly, you will always get what you deserve due to your previous karma – not more and not less than that.

The python may be very hungry when nothing is there, and it may be that he can't get his food for some time, but still he will not go here and there. If any creature comes nearby, he will eat it and be satisfied. You should try to be like that. If anything is coming without much effort – and it is bound to come – accept that. As suffering comes without effort, good things also come in the same way.

Your maintenance of life will come according to your previous karma. Thus, we should tolerate everything.

The ocean – the ocean is always happy, and this is understood by his rolling tides. He is laughing, but at the same time he is very grave. You should be like that. If an ant bites you, don't be overwhelmed, repeatedly exclaiming, “OH, AN ANT HAS BITTEN ME! An ant has BITTEN ME!”

The moth – in the rainy season in India, if there is light or fire anywhere, moths at once fly into it. You should be careful. Ladies should be careful regarding men, and men should be careful regarding ladies. Don’t go to the fire; always be careful. If you go, this means your intelligence is finished and you will die.

The big black honeybee – a honeybee (madhukara) goes from flower to flower, but he only takes the essence. He does not collect more than he needs. If he collects extra, this will go to the honey collector. The honey collector is the one who comes to empty the honey from the honey combs, and he is the one who also takes that bee in his net.

The bee teaches us to take just a little from each flower. This is the advice for a traveling mendicant. The bee also teaches us not to store extra in one place. Otherwise, our property or money will be taken away by thieves and rogues.

You should not collect more than you need, because nothing can be taken by you at the time of your death. If you have a million dollars in India, so many dacoits will know and they will come to kill you. Be like a bee. Collect very little, like those doing madhukari (“madhukari” means collecting like the bee, or in other words begging alms [*See Endnote 2].

The elephant – I have heard that in India some female elephants are sent to the forest, where there is a large well covered with long grasses and tree branches. The female elephant lures the male elephant there; and the male, controlled by that lady, falls in the well. Then, after many days of fasting from even water, the male elephant becomes weak. At that time, the same lady elephant goes inside the well, places a chain around his leg and takes him out. The humans then take charge of that male elephant and train him, and he then becomes a trained elephant. So, men should be careful about ladies and ladies should be careful about men. They should be careful about each other. This is not a joke. If you are not careful, you may become like a dog with no sense at all.

The deer – a hunter goes to the forest and keeps a net hidden somewhere. Then, by his playing very sweet music, so many deer become attracted. The net falls, and at once all the deer are caught.Don’t hear mundane talk. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu once heard the sweet voice of a lady singing ‘Gita-govinda’ and ran towards her. Somehow His servant Govinda told Him, “O Prabhu, it is a lady singing.” Mahaprabhu then said, “If you had not saved Me, I would have gone to the ocean and drowned there.”

The fish – in catching fish, the fisherman attaches a thread (with a worm on a hook at its end) to a stick, and then drops that thread in the river. Thus, by the greed of the fish's tongue, he is at once caught. Try to control your tongue. Don’t be attached to good tasting foods. Be like Srila Rupa Gosvami and Srila Raghunatha dasa Gosvami, who never cared even for salt, what to speak of other things. So many people want rich foods – but especially sannyasis shouldn't take such foodstuffs. Take only such things like simple boiled vegetables, otherwise material desires will come. Be very careful. This instruction is not only for males, but for females too.

The small baby – a small baby lives naked. Sometimes he laughs and sometimes weeps, and only his mother takes care of him. He is like a paramahamsa, like Nityananda Prabhu. Sometimes, Nityananda Prabhu would take off his clothes and then go naked to the courtyard of Sacimaiya (the mother of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu), and Mahaprabhu would give him His chaddar. Nityananda Prabhu is an avadhuta (beyond social etiquette) and because of this, being married or not married was inconsequential. We cannot imitate the character of transcendental personalities like him.

Don’t criticize what others are doing. A small boy is doing so many things, but after all, he is only a small boy. Similarly, all living entities are different, and it is not for us to criticize or find fault with what Lord Krsna has arranged for them.

A boy may sometimes put his toe in his mouth, and sometimes take a toy. Be like a boy. Do not be worried about what others are doing. Be carefree and oil your own machine.

An unmarried girl – there was a young lady who was not yet married. One day she was in her home and there was nothing to cook. There were a few vegetables, but no rice. Her mother and father were not at home. In the meantime, a gentleman from another village came to see if that girl would be a suitable bride for his son. Because her father was not at home, she told him, “Wait a little while.” There was no rice, so she went begging for rice. She was wearing many bangles and they were making some sound. She began thinking, “If this sound is heard by him, he will know I am very poor He will know that I am begging for rice when he hears the sound of the bangles,and he will not select me for his son.” She was very intelligent. She took off all the bangles but one, and there was no longer any sound.

What do we learn here? Jana-sanga-tyaga advaita-tyaga. Be far away from those who do not accept God as a person.Jana-sanga means the association of anyone other than those engaged in krsna-bhakti. Advaita means mayavadis. Don't associate with mayavadis or non-devotees, even if they are your mother and father. You can serve by other means, but don’t speak harikatha with them. Even if you have to mix with your family members, do not create a disturbance by trying to speak harikatha to them, because they have no faith in your ideals. They always think you are their child.

The unmarried girl took off most of her bangles so that her future father-in law would not see what she was doing. Similarly, do not disturb those who have no appreciation for what you are doing – like your parents or friends who are not interested in bhakti.

The arrow-maker – There was an arrow-maker, a blacksmith. He was so absorbed in making arrows that when a marriage party playing drums, singing and dancing passed by, he was not aware of it. Someone told him, “A very beautiful marriage party has just passed by.” He replied, “When? I didn't see it.” Be absorbed like this. Don't see what is going on here and there. Be absorbed in Krsna and not in nonsense. Better to be absorbed in nama-sankirtana: “Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare.” Then you will not hear anything else.

The snake – a snake lives and travels alone, and he has no house. He lives in rat holes and is always very careful. Even if you are at a far distance from him, he will know by “eye vibration” that you are there. (He has no ears, so he notices everything only by his eyes.) Similarly, always be very careful and alert for maya.

The spider – a spider produces thread from his own saliva and thus makes a web. After he has created his web, many flies or other insects become entangled in it, and he eats them. Then, when there is no further need for the web, he takes it inside himself. Similarly, God creates this world by Himself, through the agency of His maya, and later on everything enters in Him. He expands His personal potency from within Himself, displays the network of cosmic manifestation, utilizes it according to His purpose and eventually withdraws it completely within Himself.

The wasp – Srimad-Bhagavatam (seventh canto) states that a grass-worm confined in a hole of a wall by a wasp always thinks of the wasp in fear and enmity. Later he becomes a wasp, simply because of such remembrance. Similarly, if the conditioned souls somehow or other think of Krsna, who is the form of eternity, knowledge and bliss (sac-cid-ananda-vigraha) they will become free from their sins. Whether thinking of Him as their worshipful Lord or an enemy, because of constantly thinking of Him they will attain their spiritual bodies.” [*See Endnote 3]

Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura concludes this part of Sri Bhagavat-arkamarici-mala with the following quote from Srimad-Bhagavatam:

samsara-sindhum ati-dustaram uttitirsor

nanyah plavo bhagavatah purusottamasya

lila-katha-rasa-nisevanam antarena

pumso bhaved vividha-duhkha-davarditasya

[For a person who is suffering in the fire of countless miseries and who desires to cross the insurmountable ocean of material existence, there is no suitable boat except that of cultivating devotion and transcendental taste for the narrations of the Supreme Personality of Godhead's pastimes.” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 12.4.40)]

All the living entities here are suffering in many ways. To cross the unlimited, endless cycle of birth and death is very difficult. Those who want to cross it very easily should hear harikatha. There is no other way. We should hear all the sweet pastimes of Lord Sri Krsna and Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, and the histories in Srimad-Bhagavatam such as those of Prahlada Maharaja and others like him.

Today we have finished.

Gaura Premanande!

[The following endnotes are all quotes from the translations and purports of Srila Prabhupada Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaja:]

[*Endnote 1 –

“The word avadhuta means ’most free.‘ A person is not under the rules and regulations of any injunction when he has attained the stage of avadhuta. In other words, he can act as he likes. This avadhuta stage is exactly like air, which does not care for any obstruction.” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 4.20.11 purport)]

“…a great saintly person without material care…” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 5.5.29)

“…one who has surpassed the rules and regulations of varnasrama-dharma is called avadhuta. Such a person has already surpassed the clutches of maya, and he lives completely separate and independent.” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 5.5.29 purport)]

*Endnote 2 –

“A madhukari is a saintly person or a mendicant who does not accept a full meal at one house but begs from door to door, taking a little food from each householder’s place. In this way he does not overeat or give householders unnecessary trouble.” (Caitanya Caritamrta, Madhya 20.81, purport)

*Endnote 3 –

“…in Bhagavad-gita (9.30), where the Lord says:

api cet su-duracaro

bhajate mam ananya-bhak

sadhur eva sa mantavyah

samyag vyavasito hi sah

“Even if one commits the most abominable actions, if he engages in devotional service he is to be considered saintly because he is properly situated.” A devotee undoubtedly worships the Lord with rapt attention. Similarly, if an enemy (suduracarah) always thinks of Krsna, he also becomes a purified devotee. The example given here concerns the grass-worm that becomes beelike because of constantly thinking of the bee that forces it to enter a hole. By always thinking of the bee in fear, the grass-worm starts to become a bee. This is a practical example. Lord Krsna appears within this material world for two purposes-paritranaya sadhunam, vinasaya ca duskrtam: [bg. 4.8] to protect the devotees and annihilate the demons. The sadhus and devotees certainly think of the Lord always, but duskrtis, the demons like Kamsa and Sisupala, also think of Krsna in terms of killing Him. By thinking of Krsna, both the demons and devotees attain liberation from the clutches of material maya. (Srimad-Bhagavatam 7.1.28-29 purport)]

Srila Narayana Maharaja:

“Remember all the examples (of the twenty-four siksa-gurus) that were told by Dattatreya. Give up everything – all worldly desire for wife, children and everything else. Give your heart, mind and everything you possess to Guru and Krsna. Then everything will be alright.” (morning walk on <st1:date year="2006" day="17" month="6">June 17, 2006)</st1:date>

Indulekhadasi, Shakti-Fan and all others,

Since this thread is now three pages long and is a little off course it seems it would be proper to start yet another thread on Uddhava Gita. I am now doing so and Indulekhadasi's post will be post number 1.

Shakti-Fan please feel free to copy and paste your posts after her's. I apologize for the hassal.

Hopefully we will be able to maintain the topic in sequence and slowly and carefully absorb some transcendental knowledge from the words of the Lord by His grace.