IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

Comparative Study: Yogananda Swami's Movement

Rate this topic

Paramahamsa Yogananda's followers have been fighting viciously over their "successor" in the USA courts, for years, spending allegedly millions of dollars (see below). The "successor" up in Nevada City says only he is the successor, all others are bogus. He was alleged to be having sex with a number of female disciples and was supposedly embezzling and so on and so forth. Looks that to attain a state of peace and unity within an institution seems to not only be a problem of the Vaishnavas but in general.

"Half a century after his death, spiritual guru Paramahansa Yogananda is coming home. Or is he? His followers want to reentomb the founder of the Self-Realization Fellowship in an elaborate shrine the group hopes to build atop Mount Washington. It was there on a bucolic hilltop 10 minutes from downtown Los Angeles that the revered Eastern holy man bought a crumbling, once elegant hotel in 1925 and transformed it into a sylvan headquarters and retreat for his newly created religion, a hybrid of Hindu and Christian beliefs. And now, after lying in repose inside a mausoleum at Forest Lawn Glendale since 1952, the Master may finally be laid to rest in the inner sanctum of his empire if the vast majority of his followers have their way.

Who could have guessed that trying to move a corpse from Glendale to L.A. would result in all hell breaking loose?"

full article: Return of the Swami

"Yet the SRF appears to have ignored its own advice. As New Times has learned, even as Ananda's woes were playing out publicly last year, the SRF quietly paid $333,000 in hush money to a female church member and her lawyer to keep the lid on a scandal involving one of its senior monks. The monk, Jim Rapp, 45, whose monastic name was Brother Arjunananda, had been a rising star within the church. "If this were Catholicism, you could say he was a cardinal who someday might even become pope," says one disgruntled SRF member personally acquainted with Rapp. A dynamic speaker, Rapp presided over monthly services at the SRF's Richmond temple near San Francisco and oversaw the church's sprawling printing facilities in an industrial district near the base of Mount Washington. Sources say he broke his vow of celibacy in 1997 by becoming sexually involved with a woman named Patricia Lyons after arranging a job for her in a part of the printing plant that was supposed to be off-limits to all but monks. During the three-month-long relationship, these sources say, he accepted cash and gifts from her totaling more than $50,000. Lyons, who has since left the organization and says she views it as a cult, declines to discuss the Rapp matter, citing a confidentiality agreement. But others familiar with the details have expressed dismay at the church's handling of it. They contend that several top SRF leaders--including Daya Mata--not only turned a deaf ear to Lyons after she sought help while still involved with the monk, but that those leaders attempted to ruin her reputation within the church even as they sought to preserve Rapp's monastic career. "It finally became obvious that [Rapp] had to go or else Patricia was not going to remain silent," says Nita Gage, a Marin County insurance executive whose teenaged son had been under Rapp's tutelage until shortly before Daya Mata forced the monk from the Mount Washington ashram."

full article: Return of the Swami

Who cares, 'Autobiography of a yogi' is just a comic book teaching of impersonalism compared to the personal teachings of the Srimad Bhagavatam by Srila Prabhupada. Yogananda is no Paramahamsa

His guru is Vivekananda whose guru is Ramakrishna

Room Conversation Paris, August 2, 1976 760802R3.PAR

Hari-sauri: He's following the line of Vivekananda.

Prabhupada: Just see how rascal they are. My Guru Maharaja every step

condemned this Ramakrishna Mission and Vivekananda. He said frankly that if there are any impediments for our movement, that is this Gandhi and

Vivekananda. He said frankly. Hodge-podge. Gandhi's also hodge-podge. He was a politician, and in politics he mixed some spiritual ideas, hodge-podge. And this Vivekananda was also politician.

Who cares, 'Autobiography of a yogi' is just a comic book teaching of impersonalism compared to the personal teachings of the Srimad Bhagavatam by Srila Prabhupada. Yogananda is no Paramahamsa

This is nothing new and widely spread common understanding.

Topic is simply pointing out the fighting spirit of civilized Westerners.

And: when the "stupid rascal mayavadis" are fighting like cats and dogs, why the advanced learned, educated, enlightened Vaishnavas should do the same?

This is nothing new and widely spread common understanding.

Topic is simply pointing out the fighting spirit of civilized Westerners.

And: when the "stupid rascal mayavadis" are fighting like cats and dogs, why the advanced learned, educated, enlightened Vaishnavas should do the same?

Being called Vaishnava is not cheap, it is something to be earned by ones selfless devotion. I am certainly no Vaishnava, I'm aspiring to be one in this envious Chameleon material world where one thinks, by dressing up as a Vaishnava, they are one. It is not as cheap as that!!

Frankly a real Vaishnava is very rare. It is all the neophytes who are arguing and fighting with their silly cooked-up mind games on the mental platform. Prabhupada new that material world always means trouble, even from Godbrothers, however he preached on regardless setting an example for us all TO follow and not immitate

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Being called Vaishnava is not cheap, it is something to be earned by ones selfless devotion. I am certainly no Vaishnava, I'm aspiring to be one in this envious Chameleon material world where one thinks, by dressing up as a Vaishnava, they are one. It is not as cheap as that!!

Frankly a real Vaishnava is very rare. It is all the neophytes who are arguing and fighting with their silly cooked-up mind games on the mental platform. Prabhupada new that material world always means trouble, even from Godbrothers, however he preached on regardless setting an example for us all not follow and not immitate

Misunderstood, I mean to say that even ants don't have this, they work together like one unit. One doesn't have to be an advanced paramahamsa Vaishnava to attain a perfect collaborating society. Even ants can do.

Also see: The Social Behaviour od Ants

In fact, ants are not only fascinating just to entomologists looking at them under the microscope. In recent years, computer scientists have been paying great attention to the way in which a colony of ants can solve complex problems.

8eawrq0.gif

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; BORDER-TOP: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex; BORDER-LEFT: #666666 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #666666 1px solid" bgColor=#e0e0e0>Originally Posted by Sarva gattah

Frankly a real Vaishnava is very rare. It is all the neophytes who are arguing and fighting with their silly cooked-up mind games on the mental platform. Prabhupada new that material world always means trouble, even from Godbrothers, however he preached on regardless setting an example for us TO follow and not immitate

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

CORRECTION - however he (PRABHUPADA) preached on regardless setting an example for us all TO follow and not immitate

ps We are not in mindless ant's bodies. we are thinking human beings right at the beginning of Lord Caitanya's Sankirtan movement. Most of us came from the struggles of the 20th century, you cannot go from kindergarden to University over night, ISKCON will go through growing pains and difficult times.

We cannot expect people to be saints over night. We tried that and the imitation do not last, so many got cheated and hurt, not by any conspiracy, but from not really understanding what depth one needs in their Krishna Consciousness to lead others and be Guru.

I do not think Bhavananda, Bhagavan, Tamal and even Jayatirtha 'planned' their attempts to have Empires and servants, they were dedicated sincere genuin disciples of Srila Prabhupada but NEVER realized what it meant to be a humble servant of the servant of Krishna. Their external 'show' of advancement way out paced their internal level of Krishna Consciousness, therefore the fascade could not last. It is something they never planned, it's just that their real internal level of Krishna Consciousness eventually came to light and revealed that they where not that advanced at all. It has to be real to have potency and change the world into Krishna Consciousness over the long term.

Those who are looking for Gurus, test them to be sure. If they are thinking of Krishna 24/7, they are Guru. Avoid the 'manager' Gurus or those just looking for followers to recieve money, cheap adoration and a 'career' - As Prabhupada says, find the devotee MOST attached to Krishna and who has been fixed humbly in their Krishna Consciousness for many years, like His Holiness Indradyumna Swami AND MANY OTHERS.

This topic isn't about you, or your guru's criticism of Yogananda. If you want to start another thread to do such, go ahead but do not derail this thread.

Paramahamsa Yogananda's followers have been fighting viciously over their "successor" in the USA courts, for years, spending allegedly millions of dollars (see below). The "successor" up in Nevada City says only he is the successor, all others are bogus. He was alleged to be having sex with a number of female disciples and was supposedly embezzling and so on and so forth. Looks that to attain a state of peace and unity within an institution seems to not only be a problem of the Vaishnavas but in general.

This is the problem in all authoritarian organizations. Power corrupts, and a lot of power corrupts a lot...

The move to replace one Acharya with a GBC (as done by both Bhaktisiddhanta and Prabhupada) was a step in the right direction, but it did not go far enough, as the way of selecting GBCs is completly autocratic and does not provide any system of checks and balances. Add to that the element of faith and you have a system very prone to abuse. Selecting people to be GBCs for life was a huge mistake in my opinion.

This topic isn't about you, or your guru's criticism of Yogananda. If you want to start another thread to do such, go ahead but do not derail this thread.

MissiDerail? I would rather use the correct word Expose

According to Harisauri, His guru is Vivekananda whose guru is Ramakrishna

Hari-sauri: He's following the line of Vivekananda.

Prabhupada: "Just see how rascal they are. My Guru Maharaja every step

condemned this Ramakrishna Mission and Vivekananda. He said frankly that if there are any impediments for our movement, that is this Gandhi and Vivekananda. He said frankly. Hodge-podge. Gandhi's also hodge-podge. He was a politician, and in politics he mixed some spiritual ideas, hodge-podge. And this Vivekananda was also politician" Room Conversation Paris, August 2, 1976 760802R3.PAR

Quote: <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(102,102,102) 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; BORDER-TOP: rgb(102,102,102) 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(102,102,102) 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(102,102,102) 1px solid" bgColor=#e0e0e0>Who cares, 'Autobiography of a yogi' is just a comic book teaching of impersonalism compared to the personal teachings of the Srimad Bhagavatam by Srila Prabhupada. Yogananda is no Paramahamsa</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Wasn't Vivekanand, one of the pioneers in introducing sanatan dharma to the West. I think during his time to the West we were all sacrificing animals and were pagan worshippers and people considered our dharma inferior and tribal. Vivekanand was one of the first people to give our religion a platform on a global level.

I don't know the full history...its not about a person being wrong or right...if someone can please enlighten me to the story and what the controversy is about, I would greatly appreciate it.

Jai Shri Krishna

Wasn't Vivekanand, one of the pioneers in introducing sanatan dharma to the West. I think during his time to the West we were all sacrificing animals and were pagan worshippers and people considered our dharma inferior and tribal. Vivekanand was one of the first people to give our religion a platform on a global level.

Yes, he can be viewed in that way as well. One step in the long march of true Dharma in the West.

According to Harisauri, His guru is Vivekananda whose guru is Ramakrishna

Hari-sauri: He's following the line of Vivekananda

Room Conversation Paris, August 2, 1976 760802R3.PAR

Thanks Thiest, although Sri Yogananda, Sri Yukteswar's most famous disciple, had a deep contact with Rama-Krishna through one of his closest disciples

I personally saw Srila Prabhupada stand up in a lecture and chastise some Indian guests by saying because of ramakrishna, Bengal has gone to Hell and that this rascal impersonalist and his fool disciple Vivekananda, has polluted all of India.

Impersonalist also but I never heard their was some connection to Ramakrsna.

His perfection is not condintioned by this craving; but the one reason behind His creating us is His desire that we love Him and return to Him
This is a qoute taken from Yogananda's book "Man's Eternal Quest". Doesn't sound much like an impersonalist to me.

This is a qoute taken from Yogananda's book "Man's Eternal Quest". Doesn't sound much like an impersonalist to me.

Sri Yogananda, Sri Yukteswar's most famous disciple, had a deep contact with the rascal Rama-Krishna through one of his closest disciples. I personally saw Srila Prabhupada stand up in a lecture and chastise some Indian guests by saying because of ramakrishna, Bengal has gone to Hell and that this rascal impersonalist and his fool disciple Vivekananda, has polluted all of India.

Baobabtree do you even know what an impersonalist is?

Please read the Srimad Bhagavatam by A C Bhaktavedanta Swami and learn what the genuin standards of spiritual life are - Yogananda's teachings are sentimental impersonal nonsense

I had thought it was someone who believes God is without any sort of qaulities, and is but cosmic energy devoid of any sort of human or personal characteristics. If this is wrong, would you be able to tell me what your guru and his sampraday call an impersonalits?

Yogananda's teachings are sentimental impersonal nonsense

Yes he uses that psuedo-bhakti talk of mimicing personalism to try to merge his thought with a Christian country. He says He instead of It but in truth means It. People are easily swayed.

because of ramakrishna, Bengal has gone to Hell and that this rascal impersonalist and his fool disciple Vivekananda, has polluted all of India.

Please read the Srimad Bhagavatam by A C Bhaktavedanta Swami and learn what the genuin standards of spiritual life are - Yogananda's teachings are sentimental impersonal nonsense

Thanks Sarva gattah this is of course right and the thread wasn't meant to introduce Yogananda. This thread was meant to point out that if the Mayavadis are disunited, why should the Vaishnavas do the same?

Srila Narayana Maharaja Mathura, October 24, 1999:

"We can glorify Swamiji, Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaja. But those who are falling down, how can they glorify him? They cannot glorify him, never; they are cutting. They are establishing that he was the founder of ISKCON, but I know that he was not founder, he was one of the members of this in guru parampara. It was founded by Krishna, and first acarya was Brahma, then Narada, then Vyasa. Only he has changed the name and he has preached these things in Western countries."

Narayana Maharaja Murwillumbah, Australia: Feb. 18, 2002 (eve):

"Your Prabhupada, Srila Swami Maharaja, only changed the name into English. He is not the founder-acarya of that eternal ISKCON... I am ISKCON. I'm not different from ISKCON. I am 'Bhaktivedanta' [srila Bhaktivedanta Narayana Gosvami Maharaja]. Like father, like son. I am the real successor of Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaja, and there is no other. You should know this very openly. I am Bhaktivedanta and he is Bhaktivedanta, but he received this name after I did. I'm senior to him in this regard... I'm Bhaktivedanta, and I'm also ISKCON. Don't think that I'm out of ISKCON."

Narayana Maharaja 28th April 1999, morning, Caracas:

"Also you should know that Caitanya Mahaprabhu is the founder of ISKCON. Swamiji, AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaja is one of the prominent acaryas in this line only. He is not founder; he's one of the prominent acaryas, who spread all these things [over] whole world, in a very short time. Though Prabhupada Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati himself could not come here, and he sent Swami Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaja here. So Swamiji is one of the hands of Srila Prabhupada. It is not that Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaja is also father and forefather of Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Gosvami Thakura. We should try to realize all these things. He was one hand, one hand, he was one hand, and that hand was so long that it traveled [over the] whole world, that long hand. But for this you should not minimize all other acaryas who have not come here, but more qualified they were. Like parama pujyapada Sridhara Maharaja, Gosvami Maharaja, my Guru Maharaja, to whom this Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaja used to make, used to honor like siksa-guru."

Srila Narayana Maharaja Mathura, October 24, 1999:

"We can glorify Swamiji, Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaja. But those who are falling down, how can they glorify him? They cannot glorify him, never; they are cutting. They are establishing that he was the founder of ISKCON, but I know that he was not founder, he was one of the members of this in guru parampara. It was founded by Krishna, and first acarya was Brahma, then Narada, then Vyasa. Only he has changed the name and he has preached these things in Western countries."

Narayana Maharaja Murwillumbah, Australia: Feb. 18, 2002 (eve):

"Your Prabhupada, Srila Swami Maharaja, only changed the name into English. He is not the founder-acarya of that eternal ISKCON... I am ISKCON. I'm not different from ISKCON. I am 'Bhaktivedanta' [srila Bhaktivedanta Narayana Gosvami Maharaja]. Like father, like son. I am the real successor of Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaja, and there is no other. You should know this very openly. I am Bhaktivedanta and he is Bhaktivedanta, but he received this name after I did. I'm senior to him in this regard... I'm Bhaktivedanta, and I'm also ISKCON. Don't think that I'm out of ISKCON."

Hey Suchandra keep it Krishna Conscious, first the Yogananda crap and now stirring with the above comments.

Hari Sauri was there in Mayapur when Narayana Maharaj said he is not ISKCON AND THAT HE IS GAUDIYA MATH!!

Narayana Maharaj is not ISKCON, Srila Prabhupada is ISKCON.

In 1978 at a Gaudiya math Temple they tried the same nonsense Nararanya Maharaj pulled at Murwillumbah and I got into a heated argument with this old sannyasi - they are envious of Prabhupada's achievements. They actually laughed at Prabhupada when he first went to America and when he was successful they said - "oh that is not the doing of Bhaktivedanta Swami, that is Krishna's doing, it is not Swamiji's credit"

These Gaudiya math men are so envious of Prabhupada

I pray that ISKCON leaders are smart enough to NEVER allow the Gaudiya math to pollute Srila Prabhupada's ISKCON and not only try to take credit, but also claim to be representing HIS ISKCON.

Well, don't know what you saying, the actual crap is the not united Vaishnava institutions and fallen down Vaishnava maha-bhagavat rati-keli-siddhai gurus? Present Vaishnavas are actually imitating the Yoganandas and so it has to be pointed out were from your behaviour it all originates, at the mayavada camp. Agreed, yoganandas are mayavada crap, but please stop to imitate their hateful pickering.

Present Vaishnavas are actually imitating the Yoganandas and so it has to be pointed out were from your behaviour it all originates, at the mayavada camp. Agreed, yoganandas are mayavada crap, but please stop to imitate their hateful pickering.

Good point Suchandra, actually your posts (preaching) are/is inspiring