IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
nevermore

Desperate spiritual seeker here.

Rate this topic

Hi, I'm new. I'm wondering if you could help me.

I believe in one God who deserves worship and in both benevolent and malevolent spirits. Those things I am quite sure about. However I find some of the things that other monotheistic religions state about God hard to believe or incorporate into my idea of what He is. The ISKCON belief system is the only one so far to appear to make complete theoretical sense to me, hence it's pushed me suddenly out of my little comfort zone, but I've not read anything that I would call empirical evidence that it's based on the truth. It would be very helpful if people could as briefly as they like share why they follow the religion in terms of what makes them think what its scriptures say is true. I know it's not as evangelical as some and this might be interpreted as asking people to justify their faith, but that's not what I'm doing and I hope I don't offend. I am genuinely not just eager but in NEED of knowledge right now. I'm in a horrible spiritual limbo and living in fear and uncertainty of either being sent to Hell when I die, which could be any moment, or living a lie, which could be decades. The uncertainty is what's unbearable. I'm not sure this will seem to make sense but I've had to leave bits of the story out for now.

Another important question is what are the ISKCON views of demonic activity, exorcisms and experiences commonly attributed to non-drug induced hallucination? Unfortunately these are also relevant to my life at the moment and go some way to explaining the sense of urgency. :(

Thanks in advance.

Haribol, Nevermore!

Although I am not part of ISKCON, I can surely try to help by providing on why I have chosen Vaishnavism, specifically Gaudiya Vaishnavism as my religion. ISKCON, or the International Society of Krishna Consciousness, is only one (and the biggest) of the many organisations out there that teach Gaudiya philosophy.

Everyone is always hankering for pleasure, love, beauty, and attraction. We go through life trying to apply these aesthetic attributes to material things, but when in reality, it is Krishna who is the Reservoir of Pleasure, the Lord of Love, the Most Beautiful, and the All-Attractive One. Developing a relationship with Krishna, chanting His Holy Name, worshipping His Lotus Feet, and dedicating everything to Him in total surrender (sharanagati) and faith (shraddha) brings us to His Abode when we leave this Earth. Everything is only for Him, and He is the True Husband.

Lord Chaitanya, a Bengali reformer, spiritual devotee and incarnation of Krishna, taught us to develop love for God through chanting His Holy Name: Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare. Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. When we dance for Krishna, sing for Krishna, talk of Krishna, eat for Krishna, sleep for Krishna, pray to Krishna, He promises us in the Scriptures that we will come to Him.

That's why the Srimad-Bhagavatam says "Krishna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead." Krishnas tu bhagavaan swayam.

Sarva-dharmaan parityajya, maam ekam sharanam vraja. Abandon all kinds of religion and surrender to Me alone. Bhagavad Gita, 18:66.

As for demonic activity, we must have total faith that Krishna will protect us and save us. The Mantra and chanting it invokes His Presence, and devotees have total confidence in the power of Krishna. Demons fear in Krishna's Name; there haven't been any 'exorcisms' or 'hallucinogenic experiences' in ISKCON that I know of. If you are experiencing hallucinations, I would advise a doctor before ascribing spiritual attributions to the occurences.

Hare Krishna!