IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

The true story of a follower of Jesus who prayed to Him to be used in God’s plan

Rate this topic

The true story of a follower of Jesus who prayed to Him to be used in God’s plan

The true story of a follower of Jesus who prayed to Him to be used in God's plan

<!-- end .post-top --><!-- the main section of the post goes here -->This is the story of one young man who eventually became a devotee of Krishna by first going into the main Cathedral in Melbourne to pray to Jesus in 1972.

By Rod Davis

When this young man entered the Church as a last resort to find some meaning and purpose to life, he went down on his knees in total helplessness and, with tears in his eyes, prayed to Jesus, “Please use me in your service, in your plan, my life is now useless, it is better you use me in your plan to spread God Consciousness” He prayed like this for about an hour, then to his suprise, a young devotee in saffron robes walked in the Church (Shyamananda dasa is a brilliant artist who was admiring the various paintings there). This young man was very movement by the devotee’s simplicity and knew the mumbling he was hearing must be like the rosary, he was chanting the names of God. This young man took this as a gift and message to his prayers from Jesus, who was showing him the way. This young man was amazed and without knowing anything about Krishna, he still has tears in his eyes seeing this young devotee. He never took his eyes off Shyamananda dasa. When the devotee left, the young man followed him out and watched what he thought was one of Gods angles, walk up the street.

The young man then walked no more than ten yards up Swanston st, when a bubbling young girl in her mid teens (Krsnapremi dasi) approached him in a beautiful sari with flowers in her hair “Hari Bol'’ she said, then continued. ” I’m with the Hare Krishna Movement and here is our magazine Back to Godhead, we are having a love feast tomorrow, come along and experience the ecstasy of Krishna Consciousness! This young man was blown away, as they used to say back then, he was thrilled and truly believed Jesus had answered his prayers.

Probably the most astonishing thing was when he turned up the next day

(February 18th 1972); it was Lord Caitanya’s appearance day. He even played the part of Hari dasa Thakur in a play (because he had a beard) where Lord Nityananda was hit on the head with a clay pot.

Lord Caitanya (played by Kurma dasa instructed Nityananda Prabhu (played by Ajita dasa) and Haridasa Thakur (played by the young man who only the day before was praying in a Church for direction from Jesus) to go to everyone’s house in Nadia and request them to chant Krishna’s name. The two great devotees eagerly set forth and began to knock on each and every door with the request, “please chant Krishna’s name, worship Krishna and teach others about Krishna.” They were happily received by the pious people, while the envious would blaspheme them.

Completely unconcerned by favourable or unfavourable reactions they proceeded around the town. In Nadia there lived two very sinful brothers called Jagai and Madhai. (Played by Upananda dasa and Sanak dasa) Jagai and Madhai were born in pious Brahman families however, due to bad association they had become meat eaters, drunkards, thieves and arsonists. There was no crime that they had not committed, including the most abominable sin of killing cows and Brahmans. The entire town was terrified of these two persons who seemed to be the very personification of all sinful activities.

On the day Nityananda Prabhu and Haridasa Thakur were moving in the town, these two brothers, completely intoxicated were alternatively fighting and embracing each other. After observing them for some time Nityananda Prabhu compassionately decided to deliver them and thus approached them.

Despite the warnings of the town people Lord Nityananda and Haridasa Thakur, approached the two drunkards instructing them to chant the holy name of the Lord. Hearing these words the two sinners looked up and seeing the two saintly figures roared in anger. They leapt up and ran to catch the two sannyasis. The two devotees fled at the sight of the attacking brothers. Apparently terrified they shouted, “Krishna! Save us!! Govinda!,” and ran.

The two brothers wandered off in their drunken condition along the banks of the Ganga where Caitanya Mahaprabhu bathed. Constantly drunk, they started harassing and terrorizing the devotees. Eventually Nityananda and Haridasa went to the Ganges to see Lord Caitanya however they were again accosted by the two brothers. On seeing Lord Nityananda, Madhai became furious and struck Him with a broken earthen pot. When Jagai saw the blood flowing from the wound, he became compassionate and restrained his brother. While Nityananda Prabhu patiently stood, looking at the brothers with compassion, tolerating the pain and humiliation, Haridasa ran to tell Caitanya Mahaprabhu about the incident.

Hearing that Nityananda Prabhu had been hurt by the brothers, Caitanya Mahaprabhu ran towards them with the intention to kill them. He summoned His chakra which looked like death personified to the two terrified brothers. However Nityananda Prabhu quickly intervened and begged Caitanya Mahaprabhu to stop. He reminded Him of His mission to kill the sinners by saturating them with love of Godhead. Thus appeased the Lord took back His chakra.

Nityananda Prabhu told Caitanya Mahaprabhu that it was Jagai who had saved Him from further harm at Madhai’s hand. Hearing this Caitanya Mahaprabhu said to Jagai, “By protecting Nityananda you have purchased Me. You may ask any desire you have in your heart. From today on you will have pure love and devotion for Krishna” Hearing this Jagai fell at the feet of the two Lords and grasping the feet of Caitanya Mahaprabhu wept.

Seeing the wonderful transformation in his brother, a remorseful Madhai begged for the mercy of the Lord. However, since he had committed the worst of all offences, that of attacking a Vaishnava, the Lord did not even consider all his pitiful pleas for mercy.

Only after Madhai grasped the feet of Nityananda Prabhu and received His mercy did Caitanya Mahaprabhu agree to deliver Madhai also.

That night the young man who took directions from Jesus, joined the Temple and eventually become initiated by Srila Prabhupada. To this very day he is thankful to Jesus who directed him to Srila Prabhupada who in turn began teaching him about Krishna’s pastimes.

In 1976 I was Srila Prabhupada’s Body guard and not only stayed out the front of his room, but slept there as well. At the time four well shaven suited men, all in their forties would always come by the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Temple</st1:place></st1:City> harassing us with high teak cameras and listening devices. (Keep in mind that the average age of a devotee back then was twenty five so these adult men were pretty scary) They would also follow us our on street Sankirtan, film us and try to intimate the devotees distibuting books by taking many, then ripping them up and throwing the books or magazines in a rubbish bin!

These men where part of a self appointed Catholic Church's deprogramming group that dealt with what they considered threats to the Church's youth being converted to other faiths. One afternoon Pushta Krishna Maharaj went down to speak to them and one of them, in a barrage of abuse, threatened to kill Srila Prabhupada. "These people are demons!" said Pushta Krishna Maharaj

Pushta Krishna Maharaj was terrified and horrified what these men had said and was reluctant to even repeat it however; he did tell only a few devotees that Prabhupada’s life had been threatened. Hari Sauri prabhu, Srila Prabhupada's servant, was appalled and discussed that a pure devotee of <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place> was threatened in this way and so concerned we bought a shot gun, although I would have preferred a Mini 14 with a thirty round mag.

The next day I was outside hiding in a car out the front of 'Prabhupada's House' as these men walked past, when I opened the door, one pulled out a hand gun. Amoga dasa was at the front gate and out of fear, I crawled the front wall of the <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Temple</st1:place></st1:City>, about 7 feet high at the time, so quickly that Amoga was astonished. We told Prabhupada what had had happened and he said "Then our movement is having some success, these men feel threatened because our movement is having so much succuss with todays young people" we called the police and they spoke with them and Ugrashava dasa.

The police did nothing, they new who he was, while Ugrashava just called them dogs of the Catholic Church among other things. The ring leader had been knighted by the Pope, a private detective and a rumoured hit man.

At night I would stay out on the balcony of Prabhupada’s House with the shot gun, staying awake watching Srila Prabhupada translate late into the night. Even though the night was freezing cold out on the balcony, watching Srila Prabhupada gave me warmth as he translated and had his late night massage, which was truly amazing. Then after Hari Sauri prabhu left the room, Prabhupada would go around to all the windows and doors to make sure they where locked.

For days these men intimidated devotee and guests but we were told to ignore them, except for Ugrashave Prabhu who constantly gave them lip to let them know that nothing they could do could scare us because we had <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place> on our side

A week after Srila Prabhupada had left a drive by shooting occurred and gunshots went through one of the windows - Kurma prabhu’s room. He was there at the time and was fortunately unhurt. The next day it made page two of the paper. A few months after that someone through a small bomb over the back fence exploding in one of the cars, which made the first bulletin on the evening news. The out cry of the public seemed to stop any further attacks from these Catholic fundamentalist fanatics.

During all these attacks we remembered what Srila Prabhupada had said – "Then our movement is having some success, these men feel threatened because our movement is having so much succuss with todays young people"

Hare Krishna

Sarva gattahji,

Where did this occur?

Melbourne Temple, Australia, planet earth, middle planatary system in a kali-yuga that happened to be blessed with the rare appearance of Lord Caitanya and Srila Prabhupada, somewhere within the gigantic mahat-tattva cloud of Maha-Vishnu, that 'appears as a temporary cloud' within the Spiritual world or Brahmajyoti (75% Goloka and Vaikuntha, 25% mahat-tattva or material creation)

Hare Krishna Dharini prabhu

Anyone else got any interesting stories to share ?

The following is a poem called "Prayer to the Lotus Feet of Krsna" written by Srila Prabhupada on boad the ship Jaladuta, September 13, 1965.

The prayer of a pure devotee of Krishna

"I emphatically say to you, O brothers, you will obtain your good fortune from the Supreme Lord Krsna only when Srimati Radharani becomes pleased with you.

Sri Srimad Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakur, who is very dear to Lord Gauranga, the son of mother Saci, is unparalled in his service to the Supreme Lord Sri Krsna. He is that great saintly spiritual master who bestows intense devotion to Krsna at different places throughout the world.

By his strong desire, the holy name of Lord Gauranga will spread throughout all the countries of the Western world. In all the cities, towns, and villages on the earth, from all the oceans, seas, rivers, and streams, everyone will chant the holy name of Krsna.

As the vast mercy of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu conquers all directions, a flood of transcendental ecstasy will certainly cover the land. When all the sinful, miserable living entities become happy, the Vaisnavas's desire is then fulfilled.

Although my Guru Maharaja ordered me to accomplish this mission, I am not worthy or fit to do it. I am very fallen and insignificant. Therefore, O Lord, now I am begging for Your mercy so that I may become worthy, for You are the wisest and most experienced of all.

If You bestow Your power, by serving the spiritual master one attains the Absolute Truth -one's life becomes successful. If that service is obtained, then one becomes happy and gets Your association due to good fortune.

My dear Lord, O Supreme Personality of Godhead, because of my association with material desires, one after another, I was gradually falling into a blind well full of snakes, following the general populace. But Your servant Narada Muni kindly accepted me as his disciple and instructed me how to achieve this transcendental position. Therefore, my first duty is to serve him. How could I leave his service? (Prahlada Maharaja to Lord Nrsimhadeva, Bhag. 7.9.28)

O Lord Krsna, You are my eternal companion. Forgetting You, I have suffered the kicks of maya birth after birth. If today the chance to meet You occurs again, then I will surely be able to rejoin You.[Note: Srila Prabhupada suffered several heart attacks during his journey on board the Jaladuta]

O dear friend, in Your company I experience great joy once again. In the early morning I will wonder the cowherd pastures and fields. Running and frolicking in the many forests of Vraja, I will roll on the ground in spiritual ecstasy. Oh when will that day be mine?

Today that remembrance of You came to me in a very nice way. Because I have a great longing I called to You. I am Your eternal servant and therefore I desire Your association so much. O Lord Krsna, except for You there is no other means of success"

A. B. Bhaktivedanta Swami

By his strong desire, the holy name of Lord Gauranga will spread throughout all the countries of the Western world. In all the cities, towns, and villages on the earth, from all the oceans, seas, rivers, and streams, everyone will chant the holy name of Krsna.

As the vast mercy of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu conquers all directions, a flood of transcendental ecstasy will certainly cover the land. When all the sinful, miserable living entities become happy, the Vaisnavas's desire is then fulfilled.

"Catch a wave and you're sitting on top of the world"

--The Beach Boys

This is one tsunami that will cause no misery, only happiness.

FOOT NOTE TO THE STORY BELOW

Many years later in 1990 the head Catholic fundamentalist Christian that threatened Srila Prabhupada’s life and Melbourne devotees, had become very ill and was dying, he had already had the bottom part of one leg amputated. One afternoon, the then Temple President Balarama Prabhu got an unusual phone call; it was from this man Erickson. He told Balarama what he did was wrong and felt ashamed and sorry for his actions. Balarama forgave the man and told him there is no difference between his God and Lord Krishna. The man replies ‘I think I understand that now”

The mercy of the devotees are boundless!!

In 1976 I was Srila Prabhupada’s Body guard and not only stayed out the front of his room, but slept there as well. At the time four well shaven suited men, all in their forties would always come by the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:City w:st=<st1:place w:st="on">Temple</st1:place></st1:City> harassing us with high teak cameras and listening devices. (Keep in mind that the average age of a devotee back then was twenty five so these adult men were pretty scary) They would also follow us our on street Sankirtan, film us and try to intimate the devotees distibuting books by taking many, then ripping them up and throwing the books or magazines in a rubbish bin!

These men where part of a self appointed Catholic Church's deprogramming group that dealt with what they considered threats to the Church's youth being converted to other faiths. One afternoon Pushta Krishna Maharaj went down to speak to them and one of them, in a barrage of abuse, threatened to kill Srila Prabhupada. "These people are demons!" said Pushta Krishna Maharaj

Pushta Krishna Maharaj was terrified and horrified what these men had said and was reluctant to even repeat it however; he did tell only a few devotees that Prabhupada’s life had been threatened. Hari Sauri prabhu, Srila Prabhupada's servant, was appalled and discussed that a pure devotee of <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place> was threatened in this way and so concerned we bought a shot gun, although I would have preferred a Mini 14 with a thirty round mag.

The next day I was outside hiding in a car out the front of 'Prabhupada's House' as these men walked past, when I opened the door, one pulled out a hand gun. Amoga dasa was at the front gate and out of fear, I crawled the front wall of the <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Temple</st1:place></st1:City>, about 7 feet high at the time, so quickly that Amoga was astonished. We told Prabhupada what had had happened and he said "Then our movement is having some success, these men feel threatened because our movement is having so much succuss with todays young people" we called the police and they spoke with them and Ugrashava dasa.

The police did nothing, they new who he was, while Ugrashava just called them dogs of the Catholic Church among other things. The ring leader had been knighted by the Pope, a private detective and a rumoured hit man.

At night I would stay out on the balcony of Prabhupada’s House with the shot gun, staying awake watching Srila Prabhupada translate late into the night. Even though the night was freezing cold out on the balcony, watching Srila Prabhupada gave me warmth as he translated and had his late night massage, which was truly amazing. Then after Hari Sauri prabhu left the room, Prabhupada would go around to all the windows and doors to make sure they where locked.

For days these men intimidated devotee and guests but we were told to ignore them, except for Ugrashave Prabhu who constantly gave them lip to let them know that nothing they could do could scare us because we had <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place> on our side

A week after Srila Prabhupada had left a drive by shooting occurred and gunshots went through one of the windows - Kurma prabhu’s room. He was there at the time and was fortunately unhurt. The next day it made page two of the paper. A few months after that someone through a small bomb over the back fence exploding in one of the cars, which made the first bulletin on the evening news. The out cry of the public seemed to stop any further attacks from these Catholic fundamentalist fanatics.

During all these attacks we remembered what Srila Prabhupada had said – "Then our movement is having some success, these men feel threatened because our movement is having so much succuss with todays young people"

Hare Krishna