IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Svarupa

Merry Krishna and a happy Hare Rama!

Rate this topic

Merry Krishna and a happy Hare Rama!

All glories to all the wonderful devotees on Audarya Fellowship over the Xmas period and the coming new year of 2008. All glories to Radha and Krshna, Lord Caitanya and Srila Prabhupada and everyone’s respective Spiritual Master, whose only desires are to see the whole world engaged in Sankirtan, or the congregational chanting of Hare Krishna in every city, town and village all over the world. :pray:

:namaskar:

All glories to Lord Jesus Christ, the Shatyavesa incarnation of Krsna.

TRANSLATION BG 4.9

One who knows the transcendental nature of My appearance and activities does not, upon leaving the body, take his birth again in this material world, but attains My eternal abode, O Arjuna.

Merry Christ-mass

Coming from a Jewish background, we never believed in Christ-mass. Even when met Prabhupada in 1971, many devotees back then where from the Jewish faith. Reincarnation is a solid belief of Judaism so it was easy for me and my old sparring mate Kurma the excentric cook, who was also Jewish, to take too Krishna Consciousness.

Jews consider that Jesus was a only a teacher and leader, assuming he existed. Some of them think he only created a Jewish sect among many other Jewish sects, and that the one who really founded what we call Christianism was Paul. Jesus was not the Messiah because he did not fulfill the mission of the Messiah. For example, he was not a real king, he did not bring peace to the world and he did not come from the lineage of David (since Joseph was not his real father). Therefore, Jews are still waiting for the Messiah.

Your background was Jewish but you became a disciple of Srila Prabhupada. So why hang on to your Jewish conceptions when your guru speaks a contrary opinion?

[...]

Your next question, "Is a pure devotee eternally liberated and if so is he at any time a conditioned soul? We are eternally conditioned, but as soon as we surrender to Krishna do we then become eternally liberated? When Lord Christ appeared he seemed to be conditioned in his growth. Was he a specific incarnation or a conditioned soul who became liberated?'' You are not eternally conditioned. You are eternally liberated but since we have become conditioned on account of our desire to enjoy materialistic way of life, from time immemorial, therefore it appears that we are eternally conditioned. Because we cannot trace out the history or the date when we became conditioned, therefore it is technically called eternally conditioned. Otherwise the living entity is not actually conditioned. A living entity is always pure. But he is prone to be attracted by material enjoyment and as soon as he agrees to place himself in material enjoyment, he becomes conditioned, but that is not permanent. Therefore a living entity is called on the marginal state, sometimes this side, sometimes that side. These are very intelligent questions. And I am very glad that you are putting such intelligent questions and trying to understand it. It is very good. But best thing is that one should know he is in conditioned life and try to cure it. When a man is in diseased condition he should try to get out of diseased condition without harassing his brain when the disease has begun. But it is to be understood that the disease is not our constant companion, it is temporary. So the best thing is to cure the disease, and not waste our time to find out the date when it began. Forgetfulness of Krishna is the disease, so let us keep ourselves always in Krishna Consciousness, and get out of the disease, that is healthy life. Yes, Lord Jesus was jivatattva. He is not Visnu tattva. When a jiva tattva becomes specifically empowered by the Lord, he is called saktyavesa avatara. Lord Buddha and Lord Jesus Christ were in this group of saktyavesa avatara.. But they were not in conditioned state when they appeared; they came to teach here. -letter to Aniruddha

Coming from a Jewish background, we never believed in Christ-mass. Even when met Prabhupada in 1971, many devotees back then where from the Jewish faith. Reincarnation is a solid belief of Judaism so it was easy for me and my old sparring mate Kurma the excentric cook, who was also Jewish, to take too Krishna Consciousness.

That's a new one...I've always assumed mainstream Judaism rejected the idea of reincarnation and left it to fringe or mystical sects of the faith, as Christianity has historically done.

Jews consider that Jesus was a only a teacher and leader, assuming he existed. Some of them think he only created a Jewish sect among many other Jewish sects, and that the one who really founded what we call Christianism was Paul. Jesus was not the Messiah because he did not fulfill the mission of the Messiah. For example, he was not a real king, he did not bring peace to the world and he did not come from the lineage of David (since Joseph was not his real father). Therefore, Jews are still waiting for the Messiah.

Now that's a philosophical aspect for Judaism that I've always taken to be true across-the-board.

There's a current raging debate in Christian thought on the point of Jesus', true position, going by many names: Who Was Jesus, the Historic Jesus, Christianity vs. Paulism, Christianity vs Jesusanity, others.

Of course, the conservatives are employing all means possible to defend positions that were once held as, well, Gospel Truth.

An observation: A majority of those of of Jewish and Christian convictions suffer from the effects of what Srila Prabhupada would term a "poor fund of knowledge" and an obstinate and ingrained unwillingness to look outside their own faith traditions and supporting evidence for answers to those stubbornly unanswerable questions.

But that doesn't diminish the significance of the day traditionally held to be the birthday of Jesus Christ...IMO, Christmas is no less important than Janmastami, Gaura Purnima, or the appearance days of great Vaisnava acaryas.

Fair point, I was only saying what the Jews believe. My post was started with some frivolousness and if I offended you or Jesus Christ I apologize.

These days I have no time for Judaism or Christianity. As far as I am concerned, fundamentalist Christians are just as fanatic as extremist Muslims. If you distributed books in the 70s, I’m sure you would have had your fair share of Christian fanatics trying to stop you as I did.

My experience of modern day Christianity is as follows.

In 1976 I was Srila Prabhupada’s Body guard and not only stayed out the front of his room, but slept there as well. At the time four well shaven suited men would always come by the Temple, they where part of a Catholic Church society that dealt with threats to the Church. One time Pushta Krishna Maharaj went down to speak to them and one of them threatened to kill Srila Prabhupada. Hari Sauri prabhu was so concerned we bought a shot gun, although I would have preferred a mini-14 with a thirty round mag. Anyway another time I was outside hiding in a car as these men walk past and when I opened the door, one pulled out a hand gun.

Amoga dasa was at the front gate and out of fear, I crawled the front wall of the Temple, about 7 feet high at the time, so quickly that Amoga was astonished. We told Prabhupada what had had happened and he said ‘Then our movement is having some success, these men feel threatened’ we called the police and they spoke with them and Ugrashava dasa.

The police did nothing, they new who he was, while Ugrashava just called them dogs of the Catholic Church among other things. The ring leader had been knighted by the Pope, a private detective and a rumoured hit man. At night I would stay out on the balcony of Prabhupada’s House with the shot gun, I stayed awake watching Srila Prabhupada translate late into the night, then he would go around to all the windows and doors to make sure they where locked.

A week after Srila Prabhupada had left, a drive by shooting occurred and gunshots went through one of the windows - Kurma dasa's room. He was there at the time and was fortunately unhurt. The next day it made page two of the paper. A few months after that someone through a small bomb over the back fence exploding in one of the cars, which made the first bulletin on the evening news. The out cry of the public seemed to stop any further attacks from these Catholic fanatics.

During all these attacks we remembered what Srila Prabhupada had said ‘Then our movement is having some success, these men feel threatened’

Hare Krishna

That's a new one...I've always assumed mainstream Judaism rejected the idea of reincarnation and left it to fringe or mystical sects of the faith, as Christianity has historically done..

You assumed wrong, ALL mainstream Jews belIeve in reincarnation

Fair point, I was only saying what the Jews believe. My post was started with some frivolousness and if I offended you or Jesus Christ I apologize.

These days I have no time for Judaism or Christianity. As far as I am concerned, fundamentalist Christians are just as fanatic as extremist Muslims. If you distributed books in the 70s, I’m sure you would have had your fair share of Christian fanatics trying to stop you as I did.

In 1976 I was Srila Prabhupada’s Body guard... During all these attracts we remembered what Srila Prabhupada had said ‘Then our movement is having some success, these men feel threatened’

Hare Krishna

No thought of offense on your part crossed my mind!

Your points about Judaism were interesting and informative and I was commenting in return.

That's an awesome and also very scary story, definitely one for the ISKCON history books. I never distributed books or was close to Srila Prabhupada...as Beggar pointed out, you are indeed fortunate.

As far as Christian fanatics go, I've met and debated my share. Never been close to a violent or dangerous incident, but there are stories around here about devotees being harassed and threatened physically.

The best local story I've heard is about two Christians who sat in front of the temple in their car, praying for hours, then walked into the main temple room during the quieter part of a major festival and very loudly announced "In the name of Lord Jesus Christ, we command this place to be gone!!!".

After several identical repetitions over maybe ten minutes, and the temple still standing, they sheepishly turned around, got back in their car, and drove away.

Yes interesting story but no really an answer to my question. Holding up some bogus characters from the Catholic Church with a handgun as a reason to reject the person of Christ is like hlding up Kirtananda or Hamsadhuta as a reason to reject Srila Prabhupada.

I am always interested in disciples who claim Srila Prabhupada as their guru but reject his clear statements on Christ.

But it is really your business.

Yes interesting story but no really an answer to my question.

Holding up some bogus characters from the Catholic Church with a handgun as a reason to reject the person of Christ is like hlding up Kirtananda or Hamsadhuta as a reason to reject Srila Prabhupada.

I am always interested in disciples who claim Srila Prabhupada as their guru but reject his clear statements on Christ.

But it is really your business.

Very good and true point however, who said I rejected or accepted Christianity?? I must clearly point out I was only saying what the Jews believe and what our indoctrination was as a child.

I don't mean to be provocative in anyway.

Never did I personally say I did not believed the teachings of Jesus Christ, I just find both Juduism and the teachngs of Jesus very restricted and really meant for a more primitive human society.

Once a devotee was studying the Bible and finding quotes and then searching the Vedas in an attempt to explain it further. Madhuvisa (then swami) told Prabhupada what this devotee is doing.

Srila Prabhupada said "Why is this devotee spending so much time on reading the Bible when we have so many books to read? Tell him to read Bhagavat gita and Srimad Bhagavatam, if he keeps reading the Bible he will become a Christian"

Not that there is anything wrong with that

Anyway that devotee could not break free from his Christian upbring and eventualy DID become a Christian.

Srila Prabhupada: Krsna, Christ... Of course, this question was several times put to me. Christ says that "I am son of God." And Krsna says "I am God." So there is no difference. Son of God and God, we respect everyone. If I respect your father, I respect you also. Do you mean to say if I disrespect your father, you'll be pleased upon me? No. That is our philosophy. So Caitanya Mahaprabhu says that I am servant of the servant of the servant of the servant of the servant of Krsna. So if anyone loves Krsna, he must love Lord Jesus Christ also. And if one perfectly loves Jesus Christ he must love Krsna. If he says, "Why shall I love Krsna? I shall love Jesus Christ," then he has no knowledge. And if one says, "Why shall I love Jesus Christ? I shall love...", then he has also no knowledge. If one understands Krsna, then he will understand Jesus Christ. If one understands Jesus Christ, you'll understand Krsna" Discussion wth Allen Ginsberg May 29th Columbus Ohio

I guess I haven't met many of those. Nor have I met one that can properly describe the basic nature of the soul.

1. First comment see new thread on Jews believe in reincarnation

2. Well there is only two possibilities here, you came down from Goloka or was generated as a new soul from the Brahmajyoti

Seeing you, not I brought this up, the only answer to this is only found within your relationship with Srila Prabhupada. I gather you are also one of Prabhupada's original devotee's?

Anyway Hare Krishna, merry Christmas on this eve of the birth of Jesus and a happy new year.

In 1976 I was Srila Prabhupada’s Body guard and not only stayed out the front of his room, but slept there as well. At the time four well shaven suited men would always come by the Temple, they where part of a Catholic Church society that dealt with threats to the Church. One time Pushta Krishna Maharaj went down to speak to them and one of them threatened to kill Srila Prabhupada. Hari Sauri prabhu was so concerned we bought a shot gun, although I would have preferred a mini-14 with a thirty round mag. Anyway another time I was outside hiding in a car as these men walk past and when I opened the door, one pulled out a hand gun.

Amoga dasa was at the front gate and out of fear, I crawled the front wall of the Temple, about 7 feet high at the time, so quickly that Amoga was astonished. We told Prabhupada what had had happened and he said ‘Then our movement is having some success, these men feel threatened’ we called the police and they spoke with them and Ugrashava dasa.

The police did nothing, they new who he was, while Ugrashava just called them dogs of the Catholic Church among other things. The ring leader had been knighted by the Pope, a private detective and a rumoured hit man. At night I would stay out on the balcony of Prabhupada’s House with the shot gun, I stayed awake watching Srila Prabhupada translate late into the night, then he would go around to all the windows and doors to make sure they where locked.

A week after Srila Prabhupada had left, a drive by shooting occurred and gunshots went through one of the windows - Kurma dasa's room. He was there at the time and was fortunately unhurt. The next day it made page two of the paper. A few months after that someone through a small bomb over the back fence exploding in one of the cars, which made the first bulletin on the evening news. The out cry of the public seemed to stop any further attacks from these Catholic fanatics.

During all these attacks we remembered what Srila Prabhupada had said ‘Then our movement is having some success, these men feel threatened’

Hare Krishna

First of all I shud admit that u must have been a great devotee right since your last birth, or u must have done such a good thing (punya) in your last life that you got a wondeful opportunity to associate with a pure devotee like Srila Prabhupada.. And that makes you a pure devotee,, it does and will not matter what faith you followed, you fall in the category who get the utmost respect in the minds and hearts of the devotees...And may I thank you for all that you have done....

I bend and prostrate against you...

Hari bol

especially when jewish tradition is matriarchial. Joseph is inconsequential (even though he is the greastes noble devotee) as far as li8neage goes.

Mother Mary is a direct descendent of Solomon and Mekeda, so Lord Jesus kingship is affirmed. The story of kings is absent from jewish and christian traditions, by design. However, if one studies the Kebra Nagast, one sees actual positioning of kings as well as the pearl they carry.

especially when jewish tradition is matriarchial. Joseph is inconsequential (even though he is the greastes noble devotee) as far as li8neage goes.

Mother Mary is a direct descendent of Solomon and Mekeda, so Lord Jesus kingship is affirmed. The story of kings is absent from jewish and christian traditions, by design. However, if one studies the Kebra Nagast, one sees actual positioning of kings as well as the pearl they carry.

<table bgcolor="#000000" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>

</td></tr><tr><td><table style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; padding-left: 2px; color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-decoration: none; font-size: 10px; font-weight: bold;" cellpadding="2"><tbody><tr><td> Get this widget </td><td style="font-size: 7px; font-weight: normal;">|</td><td align="center"> Track details </td><td style="font-size: 7px; font-weight: normal;">|</td><td> eSnips Social DNA</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table> haribol, ys, mahak

<table bgcolor="#000000" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>

</td></tr><tr><td><table style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; padding-left: 2px; color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-decoration: none; font-size: 10px; font-weight: bold;" cellpadding="2"><tbody><tr><td> Get this widget </td><td style="font-size: 7px; font-weight: normal;">|</td><td align="center"> Track details </td><td style="font-size: 7px; font-weight: normal;">|</td><td> eSnips Social DNA</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table> haribol, ys, mahak

6wvxx0o.jpg

source: marvelartgallery

Hardly any difference, Mother Devaki in prison, Mary on the run...

As soon Krishna or His devotee appear in this world, the very same day the earthlings start to prey upon Them, but happily celebrating, "merry christmas" as soon the world is fully devoid of God.:rolleyes2:

God_with_us_sm.jpg

Mary and baby Jesus.

Life_in_Nazareth_sm.jpg

Child Jesus helping his father Joseph in his carpentry work as Mary looks on in a devotional mood.

Wesley would use the color blue to denote divinity.

until I remembered Malcolm X. But its not his birthday.

X is used because fools think that jesus christ is nothing more than one put to death on a cross. So they call him X. But it is interesting to note that he referred to himself as Q, another big score in the game of scrabble. In fact, the Gospel of Q is so authentic, in fact, it was from Q that matthew, Mark, Luke, and John came from.

A writer and scholar I have come to appreciate, Sri Bhaktiananda Swami, is in poor health, and I wish him well. As well as recommend his work on the teachings of Lord Jesus Christ, the Q.

His father is alpha and omega. But thats all greek to me.

Xmas is on May 19. This is the birthday of Malcolm Little, the X. He would be 83.

Hare Krsna, ys maha X.

First of all I shud admit that u must have been a great devotee right since your last birth, or u must have done such a good thing (punya) in your last life that you got a wondeful opportunity to associate with a pure devotee like Srila Prabhupada.. And that makes you a pure devotee,, it does and will not matter what faith you followed, you fall in the category who get the utmost respect in the minds and hearts of the devotees...And may I thank you for all that you have done....

I bend and prostrate against you...

Hari bol

So innocent, Krishnadasa. What you should be saying is how merciful and kind Srila Prabhupada was for accepting me as his disciple. Srila Prabhupada is an ocean of mercy and even his chastisement is the most wonder gift because how can you EVER forget Prabhupada after being chastised by him?

FYI: I choked on the spelling 'Xmas". It may put off others too.

Once again I think saying Xmas is an honest mistake; however, is it a mistake? I was referring to the holiday period by saying Xmas, which is what it is called. Where as Christ-mass is referring to Jesus and the celebration of his birth, I respect Jesus however, I am no longer interested in mundane materialist religions anymore, that feast off the flesh of cows.

A pure devotee like Srila Prabhupada had to preach to the Christians to persuade them to take to Krishna Consciousness. Prabhupada never liked devotees reading the Bible because the Srimad Bhagavatam, Bhagavad Gita, Caitanya Caritamrita is so more advanced. And in any case, it would take years to read the Vedas, which is clearly the most advanced knowledge of God given to the human species.

As far as I'm concerned Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism and 'Hinduism' will do one of two things, take one to the heavenly planets in the material world, that is if they do not eat meat, or bring one to the point of meeting a bonafide spiritual master in Krishna Consciousness, that are very rare. Here is an example -

THE TRUE STORY OF A FOLLOWER OF JESUS WHO PRAYED TO HIM TO BE USED IN GODS PLAN

I know one story of a young man who eventually became a devotee of Lord Krshna by first going into the main Cathedral in Melbourne to pray to Jesus. In the Church he went down on his knees and, with tears in his eyes, prayed to Jesus, "Please use me in your service, in your plan, my life is now useless, it is better you use me in your plan to spread God Consciousness" He prayed like this for about an hour, then to his suprise, a young devotee in safron robes walked in the Church (Shamananda dasa is a brilliant artist who was admiring the various paintings there). This young man was very moved by the devotee's simplicity and new the mumbling he was hearing must be like the rosary, he was chanting the names of God.

This young man took this as a gift and message of seeing this devotee of Krishna, as an answer to his prayers from Jesus, who was showing him the way.

This young man was amazed at the presents of this young saintly devotee of Krishna and without knowing anything about Krishna, he developed even more tears in his eyes seeing this young devotee as the direct answers to hs prayers. He never took his eyes off Shamananda dasa and when the devotee left, the young man followed him out and watched what he thought was one of Gods angles, walk up the street.

The young man (19 years of age) then walked no more than ten yards up Swanston st, when a bubbling young girl in her mid teens (Krsnapremi dasi) approached him in a beautiful sari with flowers in her hair "Hari Bol'' she said, then continued. " I’m with the Hare Krishna Movement and hear is our magazine Back to Godhead, we are having a love feast tomorrow, come along and experience the ecstasy of Krishna Consciousness” This young man was blown away, as they used to say back then, he was thrilled, he truly believed Jesus had answered his prayers.

Probably the most astonishing thing was when he turned up the next day (February 18th 1972); it was Lord Caitanya’s appearance day. He even played the part of Hari dasa Thakur in a play (because he had a beard) where Lord Nityananda was hit in the head by a clay pot.

Lord Caitanya (played by Kurma dasa) instructed Lord Nityananda Prabhu (played by Ajita dasa) and Haridasa Thakur (played by the young man who only the day before was praying in a Church for direction from Jesus) to go to every one's house in Nadiya and request them to chant <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:City w:st=<st1:place w:st=" /><st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>’s name. The two great devotees eagerly set forth and began to knock on each and every door with the request, "please chant Krishna’s name, worship Krishna and teach others about <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>." They were happily received by the pious people, while the envious would blaspheme them.

Completely unconcerned by favourable or unfavourable reactions they proceeded around the town. In Nadiya there lived two very sinful brothers called Jagai and Madhai (Played by Upananda dasa and Sanak dasa) Jagai and Madhai were born in pious Brahman families however, due to bad association they had become meat eaters, drunkards, thieves and arsonists. There was no crime that they had not committed, including the most abominable sin of killing cows and Brahmans. The entire town was terrified of these two persons who seemed to be the very personification of all sinful activities.

On the day Nityananda Prabhu and Haridasa Thakur were moving in the town, these two brothers, completely intoxicated were alternatively fighting and embracing each other. After observing them for some time Nityananda Prabhu compassionately decided to deliver them and thus approached them.

Despite the warnings of the town people Lord Nityananda and Haridasa Thakur, approached the two drunkards instructing them to chant the holy name of the Lord. Hearing these words the two sinners looked up and seeing the two saintly figures roared in anger. They leapt up and ran to catch the two sannyasis. The two devotees fled at the sight of the attacking brothers. Apparently terrified they shouted, "<st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>! Save us!! Govinda!," and ran.

The two brothers where wondered off in their drunken condition along the banks of the <st1:place w:st="on">Ganga</st1:place> where Caitanya Mahaprabhu bathed. Constantly drunk, they started harassing and terrorizing the devotees. Eventually Nityananda and Haridasa went to the <st1:place w:st="on">Ganges</st1:place> to see Lord Caitanya though, were again accosted by the two brothers. On seeing Lord Nityananda, Madhai became furious and struck Him with a broken earthen pot. When Jagai saw the blood flow from the wound, he became compassionate and restrained his brother. While Nityananda Prabhu patiently stood, looking at the brothers with compassion, tolerating the pain and humiliation, Haridasa ran to tell Caitanya Mahaprabhu about the incident.

Hearing that Nityananda Prabhu had been hurt by the brothers, Caitanya Mahaprabhu ran towards them with the intention to kill them. He summoned His chakra which looked like death personified to the two terrified brothers. However Nityananda Prabhu quickly intervened and begged Caitanya Mahaprabhu to stop. He reminded Him of His mission to kill the sinners by saturating them with love of Godhead. Thus appeased the Lord took back His chakra.

Nityananda Prabhu told Caitanya Mahaprabhu that it was Jagai who had saved Him from further harm at Madhai's hand. Hearing this Caitanya Mahaprabhu said to Jagai, "Lord Krishna be merciful to you. By protecting Nityananda you have purchased Me. You may ask any desire you have in your heart. From today on you will have pure love and devotion for <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>" Hearing this Jagai fell at the feet of the two Lords and grasping the feet of Caitanya Mahaprabhu wept.

Seeing the wonderful transformation in his brother, a remorseful Madhai begged for the mercy of the Lord. However, since he had committed the worst of all offences, that of attacking a Vaishnava, the Lord did not even consider all his pitiful pleas for mercy.

Only after Madhai grasped the feet of Nityananda Prabhu and received His mercy that Caitanya Mahaprabhu agree to deliver Madhai also.

That night the young man who took directions from Jesus, joined the <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Temple</st1:place></st1:City> and eventually become initiated by Srila Prabhupada. To this very day he is thankful to Jesus who directed him to Srila Prabhupada who in turn began teaching him about <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place>’s pastimes.

An observation: A majority of those of of Jewish and Christian convictions suffer from the effects of what Srila Prabhupada would term a "poor fund of knowledge" and an obstinate and ingrained unwillingness to look outside their own faith traditions and supporting evidence for answers to those stubbornly unanswerable questions.

So very, very, very true!!

If only this disease were limited to self-professed Jews and Christians!