IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
CCC

Please I need Advice about Sankirtan

Rate this topic

Hare Krsna to all devotees

for many reasons I am not affiliated to any Hare Krsna group, I feel that my Guru is Srila Prabhupada and I read his books. Now I feel that is time to do some sankirtan, I have no experience doing sankirtan and I have made my own homemade books, I took the vedabase edited some books with microsoft word, pirnted them with my epson printer, stapling them with my heavy duty stapler, and so on. I know that the quality is not the same as the book printed in a professional printer but looks very well.

I like all about printing books and I love to make my own books instead of buying them in a temple. Also if I buy them will cost me more, and my main desire is to give them just for any donation, every homemade books cost me like 0.25 dollars and if the person give me that as donation I will be happy because I could print another book and another and another..., but if I buy the books in the temple will cost me maybe 1 dollar each one and I don't want and I can't put a price for a book about the Lord.

So I am making my books, and maybe friday I will distribute them (homemade books is a slow process), I don't know nothing about sankirtan but I think that the Lord and Srila Prabhupada will help me if they are satisfied with my service. Also to get bbt books from my city is a bit difficult.

What do you think about this? Am I too excentric? well I hope that the senior devotees help me in this.

Hare Krsna!

for many reasons I am not affiliated to any Hare Krsna group, I feel that my Guru is Srila Prabhupada and I read his books. Now I feel that is time to do some sankirtan, I have no experience doing sankirtan and I have made my own homemade books, I took the vedabase edited some books with microsoft word, pirnted them with my epson printer, stapling them with my heavy duty stapler, and so on. I know that the quality is not the same as the book printed in a professional printer but looks very well.

I like all about printing books and I love to make my own books instead of buying them in a temple. Also if I buy them will cost me more, and my main desire is to give them just for any donation, every homemade books cost me like 0.25 dollars and if the person give me that as donation I will be happy because I could print another book and another and another..., but if I buy the books in the temple will cost me maybe 1 dollar each one and I don't want and I can't put a price for a book about the Lord.

So I am making my books, and maybe friday I will distribute them (homemade books is a slow process), I don't know nothing about sankirtan but I think that the Lord and Srila Prabhupada will help me if they are satisfied with my service. Also to get bbt books from my city is a bit difficult.

What do you think about this? Am I too excentric? well I hope that the senior devotees help me in this.

Hare Krsna!

This is a real nice idea or you could make a magazine/pamphlet and offer the books for download at your website. Main thing is to get in touch with people and may be invite them for a Bhagavad-gita reading. Even if you go out to make sankirtan only once a month try to do it regularly.

Just curious. What books did you copy? What message do you want to convey to the people you meet?

I am starting with the book "On the way to Krsna" and "Meditation and Trascendence(?)" this last is a compilation of Prabhupada's lectures.

Well, the message that I want to convey is that these books will teach you who you are and why you are here, why you are suffering and that you have an eternal relationship with god, you are not this body, I wnt that people just learn this things and then they have free will if they go to iskcon or xyz...

This is a real nice idea or you could make a magazine/pamphlet and offer the books for download at your website. Main thing is to get in touch with people and may be invite them for a Bhagavad-gita reading. Even if you go out to make sankirtan only once a month try to do it regularly.

Good idea about downloading books, I will put a webpage in the last page of these books, also I would like to make Caitanya Bhagavata and large books at cheap price in English and Spanish, also if you like to learn how to make your own books here is how:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=OcwwQDIlCKE

watch?v=OcwwQDIlCKE

I wish I was rich when they sold the Gitas for a buck. I could have just given them away walking down the street. If they aren't attracted they'll give the Gita to their friends who may be, and on and on, until someone with ears to hear finds it in ther hands.

Buck versus a quarter - I'd take the buck. Better shelf-life.

If I was giving out small books on computer-printed paper I wouldn't even suggest a donation. Some people will just give to cover your costs because of a good upbringing, while others will feel like you're doing business in the street. God is rich and powerful; surely He can manifest some paper or a book. Quality not quantity is what we learned in sales school. Qualifed prospects produce sales (of tickets to the Kingdom) - shotgun campaigns rarely hit the mark. Let Krsna qualify the prospects.

I'm skeptical about the true cost of self-made books. Is that cost of $.25 taking into account the cost of toner/ink, or is it just paper? If not, consumables for the cheaper laser printers tend to cost quite a bit more than consumables for workgroup printers. At work, once, I had to do an analysis of cost per page across several manufacturer's lines of printers, and was surprised at what I found (I don't have the report handy at the moment, or I'd quote some figures).

Also, of course, there's the question of how you value your time and how much time it takes to make a book by hand.

Inkjet-printable CD-R's with PDF's on them and attractive label art might turn out to be more cost effective (and easier for folks to share with their friends).

I wish I was rich when they sold the Gitas for a buck. I could have just given them away walking down the street. If they aren't attracted they'll give the Gita to their friends who may be, and on and on, until someone with ears to hear finds it in ther hands.

If I was giving out small books on computer-printed paper I wouldn't even suggest a donation. Some people will just give to cover your costs because of a good upbringing, while others will feel like you're doing business in the street. God is rich and powerful; surely He can manifest some paper or a book. Quality not quantity is what we learned in sales school. Qualifed prospects produce sales (of tickets to the Kingdom) - shotgun campaigns rarely hit the mark. Let Krsna qualify the prospects.

OK, here's the 10 second research:

http://www.rapidsupplies.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=58800

Your Price <input id="strRealPricePass58800" value="82.58" type="hidden">$82.58

82.58/4000 = $.02/page.

So, that's 2 cents per page. So, a 100 page book will cost you $2 in just toner (not counting the paper).

If your Epson is an inkjet printer, you're likely paying even more per page.

well, I am not living in USA there is a difference here in the third world, many devotees here would like to have books like the big ones of Srila Prabhupada but devotees can't afford them.

why no one sell gitas for a buck? because they are doing business with the books and Krsna is not happy with that, now they cost at least 10 bucks. People is not fool, they know when you are sincere or are trying to do something for money or reputation. Once I preach to a girl that now is devotee and later she gave me the money for a full set of Bhagavatam (in spanish 300 bucks), thanks to her I have a Bhagavatam.

Once I almost opened a printing press but a "friend of mine" betrayed me and took 3/4 of all the money. So I could afford a desktop computer a printer some paper ink, stapler... and I am enjoying this a lot, homemade books have something special, every book is made with care. Soon I will make big books for devotees here

OK, here's the 10 second research:

http://www.rapidsupplies.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=58800

Your Price <input id="strRealPricePass58800" value="82.58" type="hidden">$82.58

82.58/4000 = $.02/page.

So, that's 2 cents per page. So, a 100 page book will cost you $2 in just toner (not counting the paper).

If your Epson is an inkjet printer, you're likely paying even more per page.

Epson printer are the most expensive if you don't use this system:

CISS.jpg

I'm skeptical about the true cost of self-made books. Is that cost of $.25 taking into account the cost of toner/ink, or is it just paper? If not, consumables for the cheaper laser printers tend to cost quite a bit more than consumables for workgroup printers. At work, once, I had to do an analysis of cost per page across several manufacturer's lines of printers, and was surprised at what I found (I don't have the report handy at the moment, or I'd quote some figures).

Also, of course, there's the question of how you value your time and how much time it takes to make a book by hand.

Inkjet-printable CD-R's with PDF's on them and attractive label art might turn out to be more cost effective (and easier for folks to share with their friends).

Nice I will do that, now I remember that my dvd writer has lightscribe:eek:

I am starting with the book "On the way to Krsna" and "Meditation and Trascendence(?)" this last is a compilation of Prabhupada's lectures.

Well, the message that I want to convey is that these books will teach you who you are and why you are here, why you are suffering and that you have an eternal relationship with god, you are not this body, I wnt that people just learn this things and then they have free will if they go to iskcon or xyz...

That is great CCC. One definition of a Vaisnava is one who cannot tolerate the suffering of others. It's a wonderful approach.

Dandavats

That is great CCC. One definition of a Vaisnava is one who cannot tolerate the suffering of others. It's a wonderful approach.

Dandavats

thanks and please give me your blessings

Hare Krsna

Nice I will do that, now I remember that my dvd writer has lightscribe:eek:

I recently got a Lightscribe DVD/CD burner. I love it for what it *does* do. Of course, burning labels on it is slow, there is no color, and the media are still much more expensive than the inkjet printable media.

The Epson inkjet printers (well, the newer ones--I have the R200) allow one to print directly on the inkjet printable disks. I never liked the inkjet printable labels that one had to try to affix to the disk--too messy and tedious.

The drawback with most inkjet printable disks (or paper, for that matter), is that if some water gets on it, the label/paper is ruined.

Oooh! I've never seen anything like that. Do you know what your ink cost per page is with that system?

well lets take a look:

INK

250ml of ea color cost me 20 dollars the lot total 1 litre of dye ink.

every 10ml are like 150 pages so ea page of black will cost

150 pages x 25= 3750 pages

so, $5/3750= is $0.0013 dollars (based in one color of ink)

my books are handbooks so every page has 4 pages, so I use 24 A4 pages

24p X $0.0013= 0.0312 dollars per book using black color of 250cc

Ink for a handbook of 100 pages is= $0.0312 dollars

Paper:

A4 lot of 500 sheets= 1000 pages cost $5 dollars

1000/5= $0.005 so it cost $0.12 dollars a handbook of 100 pages

Total= $0.0312 ink+$0.12 sheets= $0.1512 dollars per book + self adhesive covering+ covering paper is like 0.3 dollars for the whole book

That sistem is called CISS you can buy the whole system or just the refillable cartridge, I have this last

I recently got a Lightscribe DVD/CD burner. I love it for what it *does* do. Of course, burning labels on it is slow, there is no color, and the media are still much more expensive than the inkjet printable media.

The Epson inkjet printers (well, the newer ones--I have the R200) allow one to print directly on the inkjet printable disks. I never liked the inkjet printable labels that one had to try to affix to the disk--too messy and tedious.

The drawback with most inkjet printable disks (or paper, for that matter), is that if some water gets on it, the label/paper is ruined.

I have the c79 is tiny but powerfull and yes the dvd and lightscribes cds are yet expensive

Thanks, Prabhu, for doing the math to satisfy my doubting mind!

I wish you all facility in your service life!!!

Brihat Mridanga ki jai!!

well lets take a look:

INK

250ml of ea color cost me 20 dollars the lot total 1 litre of dye ink.

every 10ml are like 150 pages so ea page of black will cost

150 pages x 25= 3750 pages

so, $5/3750= is $0.0013 dollars (based in one color of ink)

my books are handbooks so every page has 4 pages, so I use 24 A4 pages

24p X $0.0013= 0.0312 dollars per book using black color of 250cc

Ink for a handbook of 100 pages is= $0.0312 dollars

Paper:

A4 lot of 500 sheets= 1000 pages cost $5 dollars

1000/5= $0.005 so it cost $0.12 dollars a handbook of 100 pages

Total= $0.0312 ink+$0.12 sheets= $0.1512 dollars per book + self adhesive covering+ covering paper is like 0.3 dollars for the whole book

That sistem is called CISS you can buy the whole system or just the refillable cartridge, I have this last

Thanks, Prabhu, for doing the math to satisfy my doubting mind!

I wish you all facility in your service life!!!

Brihat Mridanga ki jai!!

An if you use inksaver 2.0 you will save more and more!

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; BORDER-TOP: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex; BORDER-LEFT: #666666 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #666666 1px solid" bgColor=#e0e0e0>Originally Posted by CCC

Hare Krsna!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; BORDER-TOP: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex; BORDER-LEFT: #666666 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #666666 1px solid" bgColor=#e0e0e0>Originally Posted by CCC

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Very encouraging devotional service you are doing Prabhu. What you are doing is how Srila Prabhupada stated when he began, by finding a printing press and then personally going out distributing his BTG in the early 1940's.