IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
sopatel

Why do priests bahave this way...

Rate this topic

Ok so I wanted to ask this question: In no way I am trying to offend my Krishna or my Hindu faith, but it is a curiosity based on the behavior of people and not the foundation of my Lord!

Why are temple pundits so greedy. :smash:

Let me elaborate. On our trip to India we took various pilgramage to Pushkar, dwarka, Mathura, Haridwar, etc. My uncle came with us because he knows the "system" better than we do.

Ok at Pushkar, a pundit grabbed my mothers pallu :eek: and forced her to do Puja, she said I don't want to and he created a riot about how we didn't pay him for his services. Just to avoid the group bashing of mob-like pundits we gave him R1000 and left.

Similarly we went to dwarka temple and instead of giving our money to the pundits, my parents decided to feed eleven young kids on that were roaming the streets. The pundit had a riot there and said we were sinners for touching "lower castes" :confused: Hmm let me think, wasn't Shabri ma a lady of the tribal descent, well Ramachandra ate the fruits she tasted, God doesn't discriminate so shouldn't we love all people to the best of our ability.

:mad2: The icing on the cake of our pilgrimage was when we visited the Krishna temple in Haridwar (I can't recall the name), here we found a pundit who was pestering my uncle to donate R5000 to get a brick with my grandfathers name on the grounds. Well my dear uncle has a temper, much needed at the time, refused and totally insulted the pandit. He had a point, :argue: "Why should I place R5000 in your hands and not the actual temple!" but the biggest point he made was "Why do I need to place a brick with my fathers name on the ground that is stepped on, spit on, sat on byt thousands of people everyday, I'm not really interested in insulting my father like this, you are sinners for allowing innocent people to be cajoled into insulting there ancestors." We were done.

I dont even want to go back, a spiritual journey became so stressful! I just wanted to go to places where the pastimes of my Lord were. Its sad that rather than the features of the actual beauty, I remember all this. Its my fault for not being strong hearted but I had to ask....How do you deal with these people?!?!?!?:crying2:

Jai Shri Krishna

I know how you feel. Nowadays, its impossible to find a true Guru of any path - Vaishnava, Shaiva, Shakta, whatever. Especially when you're a Westerner (an "outcaste").

It's a dog-eat-dog world out there. I have to go throughout my whole life as the Lone Soldier. I have no community that does not shun me, and of those Hindus who welcome me, none of them practice.

Our "Temples" are just money dens filled with intolerant people. Whatever little worship goes on is given less importance than some dance from some 80s Bollywood movie. At least, that's how it's like for the local temples of my area.

I've read the story of another Western Hindu on another website. He had to pay an arm and a leg (figuratively, of course) just for a homa. When the "priest" saw him, the "priest" got angry because Prabhu was white-skinned!

You know its the Kali Yuga where you can't even take shelter in the holiest places on Earth.

Stick with it, and keep praying to Lord Krishna. Personally, I know that He's a better deliverer than Dominos' (an inside joke). When chanting this mantra:

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

I am no longer a Lone Soldier, but I have an army behind my back; an army that can annihilate the forces of every man, unscratched. This is the army of Krishna's Love.

Indeed, this is a sad story. However, this is the true state of most of the religious institutions controlled and run by vested interests who are just milking such institutions for their material nirvana rather than the true elightenment. As the Kaliyuga progresses we will see more and more of such cases. It is almost impossible to go to any religious institution to pray quitely to communicate/pray infront of Deities. These so called priests make sure that no devotee can pray peacefully. After all this is their profession and they are there to prey upon and not pray for pilgrims. I think in India everyone is aware of such things and one has to take it in stride. Best is to just ignore them and some times it is better to fix a rate in advance for any ritual performance. Some of the leading Indian spiritual leaders have said so aptly that all pilgrimages lie in the heart of devotees and you can feel His presence if you are worthy of Him.

Yes, I just came back from India and in Varsana someone grabbed my mom's hand and forcibely put mehndi on it. And then asked for money! It was only 10 rupees or something but it was still frustrating! And I went on a doli in Varsana and the doli walas were like, "Tell your dad when he comes to give us 200 rupees each. We are Varsana vasis you will get a lot of punya for doing this." And I was thinking well yeah I know you are Varsana vasis and therefore you are probably much greater than me but 400 rupees (two people were carrying me) is too much! I mean I am really lightweight you guys deseve 50 each maximum. So people will do anything in the Lord's name to get themselves the money, but this is not pure bhakti. You should give as much to the deities as you want, they should not dictate how much you must give.

I guess this is a widespread problem but I see the logicv in what tackleberry said. I guess when your trying to make a living you find who you can but it is still frustrating and really causes the spiritual experience to become somewhat filled with anxiety.

This is a common problem wherein the priests try to exploit the people visiting the temples. Just console with the fact that no one can escape from the Law of Karma. If you had a debt to that guy in your past birth in some way or the other you are giving it now, if not that money will come back to you. The Law of Karma.

Poverty is the reason why even good people go bad. Put yourself in their shoes, and you might do the exact same thing in desperation. Life is not easy. Let's try to be a little considerate.

Sometimes they are little infected by arrogance mood of the politican class.

wrf37r.jpg

Poverty is the reason why even good people go bad. Put yourself in their shoes, and you might do the exact same thing in desperation. Life is not easy. Let's try to be a little considerate.

Actually most of the corrupt priests of famous temples make more money than someone in the United States would make. In some of the biggest temples they make thousands of dollars a day, but it doesn't satisfy them. It just increases their greed. That's what this world is designed to do. The more we try to satisfy lust, anger and greed, the more they grow.

In Tirupati they have installed video cameras to watch the priests because some of the priests were literally taking suitcases of money. Businessmen used to bring briefcases of money to donate to the "temple", but the priests would come in between. People think they are giving to the temple when they give money to priests, but there practically isnt a single priest in India who will give the money to the temple.

Actually most of the corrupt priests of famous temples make more money than someone in the United States would make. In some of the biggest temples they make thousands of dollars a day, but it doesn't satisfy them. It just increases their greed. That's what this world is designed to do. The more we try to satisfy lust, anger and greed, the more they grow.

In Tirupati they have installed video cameras to watch the priests because some of the priests were literally taking suitcases of money. Businessmen used to bring briefcases of money to donate to the "temple", but the priests would come in between. People think they are giving to the temple when they give money to priests, but there practically isnt a single priest in India who will give the money to the temple.

Quite sad!

Didn't know it was this serious.

My problem is that people like that do not keep such spiritual places pure thats all. If I go to temples I want my mind to be peaceful and not on constant alert.

Jai Shri Krishna

BTW, can anyone tell me why some temples don't allow non-Indians in? Is it just racist discrimination, or is it so that people don't "disrespect" the temple or something? :confused:

I have no clue, they are just being plain stupid, God opens his door to all so there is no reason why some people are allowed and others aren't. I think as long as they follow the rules of no shoes, washing hands and feet, remaining vegetarian while in temple, etc then it should be ok.

Jai Shri Krishna

I have no clue, they are just being plain stupid, God opens his door to all so there is no reason why some people are allowed and others aren't. I think as long as they follow the rules of no shoes, washing hands and feet, remaining vegetarian while in temple, etc then it should be ok.

Jai Shri Krishna

In the Jagannath temple in Puri the pandas stop you if you are a videsi (foreigner) and then say that the only time they can have darshan of the Lord is Ratha Yatra time. When Ratha Yatra time comes and a videsi is there they will try to beat them up with sticks. Is this sanatan dharma?

:( BTW, can anyone tell me why some temples don't allow non-Indians in? Is it so that people don't "disrespect" the temple or something? :confused:

I believe the answer is YES. I read this from a book on Hinduism by Stephen Huyler. I think the emphasis should be more on "non-Hindu" than "non-Indian", although that distinction is perhaps not fully imbibed in those temples.

Those not in tune with the Hindu culture may potentially see things wrongly or in a partial manner. A place becomes holy due to the constant presence of holy people and God-minded thoughts. The temple shrine is similar, meant for those who are seeking to commune with the Divine through that particular Aspect. It maintains the spiritual sanctity of the place. Some of these major temples therefore take utmost precaution. (Of course, it is not a perfect solution but is a precaution.)

As for temple priests earning more than in US, their numbers as also the temples we are accounting for are very very small. Of course, one expects that the priests of such temples feel a greater responsibility for living as they are supposed to. But that does not represent most. For most priests who may be running after foreigners, I would guess poverty drives the corruption and decadence.

Ok so I wanted to ask this question: In no way I am trying to offend my Krishna or my Hindu faith, but it is a curiosity based on the behavior of people and not the foundation of my Lord!

Why are temple pundits so greedy. :smash:

Let me elaborate. On our trip to India we took various pilgramage to Pushkar, dwarka, Mathura, Haridwar, etc. My uncle came with us because he knows the "system" better than we do.

Ok at Pushkar, a pundit grabbed my mothers pallu :eek: and forced her to do Puja, she said I don't want to and he created a riot about how we didn't pay him for his services. Just to avoid the group bashing of mob-like pundits we gave him R1000 and left.

these people?!?!?!?:crying2:

Jai Shri Krishna

A very similar thing happened to my family in Pushkar, except there was a boy who offered to take us on a tour first and in the end he took us to some rubbish pundit who performed some kind of procedure. They're scam artists not pundits. Our driver had even told us not to talk to any of the supposed sadhus or pundits there, my father was just really gullible and foolish. After we were cheated and united with our driver, the driver had confirmed that they were indeed scam artists cheating people out of their money in God's name.

i thought the temple priests in vrndavan were exceptionally bad (also the ones in new vrndavan!) but the priests in orissa take the cake (and eat it too). Jaganatha temple was terrible as was those at Sakshi gopal but when i went to hari das' temple in orissa, all i heard was the sweet sounds of bhajans and was never once asked or demanded any ruppees, so they got the biggest donation. by the way the "sadhus" at rishi kesha were equally greedy, except for one whom i only knew as maharaja, and he helped me alot when i was there, so i gave him a large contribution also. i just felt krsna's words, "as you surrender unto me, i reward you accordingly

......................................................................................................

i'm only into religion for the sects

Its not like we want to say all priests are bad but then when enough people are scammed, then they get a steroetype...I have one concern only...When I am around the actual ground where my madhav had his pastimes, I want to take in the spiritual experience and not worry about con artists.

As osiris has said some institutions are very genuine and we should give but it would be hurtful if charity meant for social and spiritual welfare becomes pocket change for scammers.

Jai Shri Krishna

exactly! when i was at the radha-damodara mandir, i misunderstood the priest, when he came out with a plate of prasadam and said "500 ruppees". i replied by negativley saying, "what ya want another 500, this place is nothing more than a business!!" and left in a huff frustrated with that kind of practice, when a devottee came out with the prasad saying, "he wanted to know who gave the generous donation so he could give a plate of mercy", at Raval, (the birthplace of Radha), i didn't give anything, nor did they ask...the priests didn't speak english...i didn't speak hindi...but we talked for over an hour...still... i say the biggest cheat is kirtanananda. when i went to radha-damodar temple...i was offered to sleep in prabupada's room and they gave me a plate of prasad...just so happened to be my faves...sweet rice, kofta, kachoris and mint chutney. the pujari told me kirtananada went there...offered him 1 million ruppees for the temple and he refused and he never returned...but i should hold no ill will against him since he turned me on to krsna (whatever)...i ever see him on the streets of new york, i'll kick that cain soon as i am able.

......................................................................................................

i ran over my dogma with my karma