IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
indulekhadasi

My Visit to Ekachakra Dhama

Rate this topic

Perhaps you know my dad who writes on Audarya Fellowship (rarely) as Gaurhari?

My memory is so poor, though I might recognize his face. He must be a great devotee of the Lord to have raised such a good-hearted and spiritually-dedicated daughter.

Dandavat Pranamas to you and your family.

Nitai-Gaur!!

My memory is so poor, though I might recognize his face. He must be a great devotee of the Lord to have raised such a good-hearted and spiritually-dedicated daughter.

Dandavat Pranamas to you and your family.

Nitai-Gaur!!

Wow, you are very humble! If I had one drop of your humility, I would have been raised to great heights!

_/\_o_ Dandavats to you and your family, too.

Dayal Nitai!

Perhaps you know my dad who writes on Audarya Fellowship (rarely) as Gaurhari?

Is Gauhari his user id? Or is his user id something else and he puts the word Gaurhari as signature in his posts?

Using Search facility, I read his posts. Yes, he posts very rarely. He joined in Nov 2005 and has made only 8 posts so far.

I must say that he has taken utmost interest in imparting teachings to his daughter and his daughter also has taken these studies very seriously. The kind of knowledge and also the maturity that you have at such an young age is amazing.:)

I am writing from Abhimanyu's perspective. Meaning I am retelling the Mahabharata from his perspective. It adds a little flavor the the story. It is more heart warming and personal. Like instead of saying Maharaja Yudhisthira... I would write -my uncle Yudhisthira. This is kind of like his "diary". It starts from when he arrives in Kurukshetra. A good part of it is Abhimanyu retelling his father's and uncles' story and also expressing how he learned different war techniques from his uncle Lord Krishna, and Kritavarmaji. Some of it is actual war accounts from day 1 to day 12 of the Kurukshetra war. Of course Abhimanyu leaves his body on the 13th day of the war :( . At the end his father, Arjuna, leaves a note to all the readers, explaining why the diary abrubtly ended. This explains the bravery of Abhimanyu, his entering the Chakravyuha, how his uncles were stopped by Jayadratha, how the alone Abhimanyu faced 7 great atirathis and maharathis, and how he was finally killed by the son of Dushasana, Durajaya. Arjuna states that he has killed Jayadratha with the help of Lord Krishna and has therefore avenged the wrong done to his son. He finally says that Abhimanyu had a very close relationship with Lord Krishna, and therefore although everyone misses him, he has reached an auspicious destination.

That is the synopsis of the book. I haven't gotten much time to work on it because I have been working on schoolwork a lot. Hopefully I will get some more time in the future. :)

Jai Nitai!

I am writing from Abhimanyu's perspective. Meaning I am retelling the Mahabharata from his perspective. It adds a little flavor the the story.

Interesting. One time I was thinking about writing a Mahabharata story written from Sikhandin's (Amba's) perspective. That would have been a real tearjerker (weepie) :)

Interesting. One time I was thinking about writing a Mahabharata story written from Sikhandin's (Amba's) perspective. That would have been a real tearjerker (weepie) :)

No offense, but I really HATE Sikhandhi. If, as Amba she had the mentality of a Vaishnavi she wouldn't have been so revengeful. But no, all she thought of was her own insult. She should have told Bhishma beforehand that she wanted to marry King Shalva. Bhishmadeva did the proper thing by sending her back, I mean what else can he do?

It would be interesting to write something like that, but I have hardly any sympathy for Sikhandhi.

No offense, but I really HATE Sikhandhi. If, as Amba she had the mentality of a Vaishnavi she wouldn't have been so revengeful. But no, all she thought of was her own insult. She should have told Bhishma beforehand that she wanted to marry King Shalva. Bhishmadeva did the proper thing by sending her back, I mean what else can he do?

If you read the unabridged Mahabharata there is much, much more to that story. Bhishma actually cared for her a lot and she did for him too. He had his spies bring him all the information about her during her entire life as Amba. It was not a case of a simple revenge motive.

Anyway, these were real people, not clay models of "ideal Vaishnavas", caught in events much bigger than they were.

If I were to write, I'd write from the perspective of Karna, a very interesting character. Whether you love him or hate him, you can't deny he's the most confusing, inspiring, heroic, hateful, and pretty much every other contradiction rolled into one!

If you read the unabridged Mahabharata there is much, much more to that story. Bhishma actually cared for her a lot and she did for him too. He had his spies bring him all the information about her during her entire life as Amba. It was not a case of a simple revenge motive.

Anyway, these were real people, not clay models of "ideal Vaishnavas", caught in events much bigger than they were.

According to my limited knowledge, she cared for him up to the point where Shalva rejected her. I might be wrong. Of couse, if I placed myself in her position I might have done exactly what she did. No one likes to be rejected. I can't remember the exact quote but I remember Srila Prabhupada saying that Amba acted the way she did because she did not have the proper Vaishnavi mentality.

BTW, which version of the Mahabharata did you read? I would be interested to read it if I haven't already.

If I were to write, I'd write from the perspective of Karna, a very interesting character. Whether you love him or hate him, you can't deny he's the most confusing, inspiring, heroic, hateful, and pretty much every other contradiction rolled into one!

Yes, I feel for Karna very much. He had so many twists in his life, and he was a great one for charity. But since I have already started from Abhimanyu's veiwpoint I better finish that one first.:)

BTW, which version of the Mahabharata did you read? I would be interested to read it if I haven't already.

There is only one full translation in English, that of Kisori Mohan Ganguli, and it is by far the best source of information. None of the abridged versions come even close to it as many of these books contain substantial factual errors. I would not consider writing anything Mahabharata related without first reading that text thoroughly.

After reading that text (and it is HUGE!) I could never read the abridged Mahabharatas again.

There is only one full translation in English, that of Kisori Mohan Ganguli, and it is by far the best source of information. None of the abridged versions come even close to it as many of these books contain substantial factual errors. I would not consider writing anything Mahabharata related without first reading that text thoroughly.

After reading that text (and it is HUGE!) I could never read the abridged Mahabharatas again.

I have read only snippets of the hole text. This is supposed to be the exact translation of the Mahabharata, so yes, it is very factual.

However the english is kind of archaic, which makes it a little more difficult to read.

I have read only snippets of the hole text. This is supposed to be the exact translation of the Mahabharata, so yes, it is very factual.

However the english is kind of archaic, which makes it a little more difficult to read.

It is well worth the effort. At one time I was comparing one of the abridged versions to the Ganguli's text and I have quickly found several important errors. Most of the abridged versions are simply translations of other abridged versions in hindi, bengali, or other indian language. Thus the errors and fanciful interpretations get copied over. I dont trust any of these abridged versions.

It is well worth the effort. At one time I was comparing one of the abridged versions to the Ganguli's text and I have quickly found several important errors. Most of the abridged versions are simply translations of other abridged versions in hindi, bengali, or other indian language. Thus the errors and fanciful interpretations get copied over. I dont trust any of these abridged versions.

True enough, prabhuji!

And did you get to see the video of Ekachakra dhama?

I watched the video and liked it lots.

Since you have already started from Abhimanyu's perspective, therefore it is quite natural for you to finish writing that first.

But, I personally find Bhisma's character very interesting.

Satayvati's father put a condition that Shantanu could marry Satyavati only if her son would become king after Shantanu. In all respects, Bhisma was perfect to be a king and people deserved a good king. On one hand, Bhisma had the option of becoming king after Shantanu and thus giving a good king to people. On the other hand, he had the option of accepting Satyavati's father's condition when it was not even known whether future son of Satyavati would be able or not. Bhisma must have been in dilemma.

Bhisma was never attached to luxurious life. Even in his young age, he could have happily lived in some ashram. But, in order to fulfill his

duties towards the throne, he decided to stay in Hatinapur. He fulfilled all duties of a king without actually being a king. He never tried to usurp the kingdom though he could have easily done that.

When he had taken the vow of celibacy, then it must be difficult for him to go to swyambara even though he was looking for wife for Vichitravirya.

In his heart, he knew that Duryodhan was wrong but his vow was forcing him to side with Duryodhan. He must have been in a very big dilemma about right and wrong. On one hand, fulfill one's vow. And on the other hand, oppose adharma. In fact, it must be difficult for him to even decide what was dharma for him.

Bhisma's character shows various battles that people fight with themselves in their own minds.

I watched the video and liked it lots.

Since you have already started from Abhimanyu's perspective, therefore it is quite natural for you to finish writing that first.

But, I personally find Bhisma's character very interesting.

Satayvati's father put a condition that Shantanu could marry Satyavati only if her son would become king after Shantanu. In all respects, Bhisma was perfect to be a king and people deserved a good king. On one hand, Bhisma had the option of becoming king after Shantanu and thus giving a good king to people. On the other hand, he had the option of accepting Satyavati's father's condition when it was not even known whether future son of Satyavati would be able or not. Bhisma must have been in dilemma.

Bhisma was never attached to luxurious life. Even in his young age, he could have happily lived in some ashram. But, in order to fulfill his

duties towards the throne, he decided to stay in Hatinapur. He fulfilled all duties of a king without actually being a king. He never tried to usurp the kingdom though he could have easily done that.

When he had taken the vow of celibacy, then it must be difficult for him to go to swyambara even though he was looking for wife for Vichitravirya.

In his heart, he knew that Duryodhan was wrong but his vow was forcing him to side with Duryodhan. He must have been in a very big dilemma about right and wrong. On one hand, fulfill one's vow. And on the other hand, oppose adharma. In fact, it must be difficult for him to even decide what was dharma for him.

Bhisma's character shows various battles that people fight with themselves in their own minds.

I am glad that you liked the video of Ekachakra dhama!

Bhishma and Karna, even though they were not on good terms, are quite like each other. They are both disciples of Parshuram and both have many twists and turns in their lives. Personally though, I like Bhishma much more as he is a mahajana and a great devotee of the Lord.

Well, that is to be expected, since Ganguli published his work between 1883 and 1896. Definitely, if you want the best available English version of the epic, go for this particular translation. Nothing else quite compares to it. But it'll take you a heck of a time to cruise through 5,000 odd pages. Still, it'd be worth the labour, in my opinion.