IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Vikram Ramsundar

Srila Prabhupada and the Golden Age

Rate this topic

And for the record, I am no devotee but a full-blown materialist who happens to have a religious leaning - I eat meat, take alcohol, love going to the horseraces and I intend on continuing to pursue these activities till I kick the bucket.

Wow!! I certainly have many faults and failings, and, while I may mention them from time to time, I hope I do not do so in a defiantly bragging manner.

What use is your learning if all you can do is offend?

Isn't your response an evasion of the question?

In any case, as Sripad Goswami Maharaja was recently recounting, Srila Sridhar Maharaja said that humility and tolerance does not mean that one ought to be a fool. If someone comes to attack the Guru or the Deity, one does not offer obeisances, one defends the Guru or the Deity.

gHari is my Guru (siksha), and is one of the *least* hostile persons on these forums. I won't tolerate anybody abusing him. I can either defend him or go away (for my own benefit, I should probably do the latter).

:smash: It`s safer to put a question mark at the end of a sentence. That way one can deny if he/she really said it.

gHari is my Guru (siksha), and is one of the *least* hostile persons on these forums. I won't tolerate anybody abusing him.

You are not here to tolerate or not tolerate anything. In any case, I was not talking to you. I do not give two hoots about what you do, say, or think. Don't butt in where you don't belong.

I have to say that the responses to anything other than what this thread was intended to be about in the first instance does not floor me at all. What this does demonstrate is that most Gaudiyas who participate on this forum are not willing to expose themselves to novel concepts and independent thought. I had never realised that people could be so closed-minded and have such entrenched, fossilized beliefs. Not so bewildering when one considers that a substantial number here haven't had a proper education and gone through the hoops of academia. I can only pity them.

. Not so bewildering when one considers that a substantial number here haven't had a proper education and gone through the hoops of academia. I can only pity them.

:cool: I graduated medicine in 1983. I took my post-graduate course in medicine in 1984. Before that I graduated BS in Medical Technology. I took the licensure exam for physicians in 1985 and failed. I retook it again on December 1986. I got my license to practice the art of medicine on Jan 1987.

:cool: I graduated medicine in 1983. I took my post-graduate course in medicine in 1984. Before that I graduated BS in Medical Technology. I took the licensure exam for physicians in 1985 and failed. I retook it again on December 1986. I got my license to practice the art of medicine on Jan 1987.

Great to hear. And yes, I said that many, but by no means all, full-time devotees have not had formal academic training. And since you're yourself not part of that lot, it should be plain to you that we have a bunch of nincompoops around, for the most part that is.

Great to hear. And yes, I said that many, but by no means all, full-time devotees have not had formal academic training. And since you're yourself not part of that lot, it should be plain to you that we have a bunch of nincompoops around, for the most part that is.

:smash: If they are lazy! Hahaha!

You are not here to tolerate or not tolerate anything. In any case, I was not talking to you. I do not give two hoots about what you do, say, or think. Don't butt in where you don't belong.

Whatever you say, Mr. Manners. If you wish to have a private conversation with somebody, why not invite them over for drinks and BBQ? For now, this remains a public forum.

Ad hominem attacks, anybody?

To my knowledge, there are computer engineers here (your dear friend gHari), college professors (stone-hearted, to name one), and Ivy League University graduates (myself, not that I feel my diploma is worth anything significant).

We know a thing or two about jumping through hoops, no doubt.

Care to present *your* credentials, since you've brought this up?

Though it's not very humble to do so, I certainly pity *you*, dear friend!!

I have to say that the responses to anything other than what this thread was intended to be about in the first instance does not floor me at all. What this does demonstrate is that most Gaudiyas who participate on this forum are not willing to expose themselves to novel concepts and independent thought. I had never realised that people could be so closed-minded and have such entrenched, fossilized beliefs. Not so bewildering when one considers that a substantial number here haven't had a proper education and gone through the hoops of academia. I can only pity them.

Indeed; the arrogance we see in his posts answers to some descriptions of a certain kind of person in Bhagavad-gita. If someone's academic credentials spawned such arrogance, Srila Prabhupada often called them rascals and fools. (In the US, we have another--less gentle--name for them.) Most of us here simply don't care at all what they think about the teachings of Lord Chaitanya, since they're too closed minded--indeed, too small minded--to independently consider such novel concepts. So Vikram can blather all he wants; most of us will pay him little or no heed.

Golly, he may be learned real good, but a simple deconstruction of the motivation for an article which maybe he didn't pen transformed him instantaneously into Linda Blair before our astonished eyes. I would have guessed that either reading comprehension skills or simple logic skills were missing to generate such an unexpected violent response, not to be expected from a larned-good man. I'm still amazed at the venom that came out of that sweet-soundly diplomatic mouth. But I guess in perspective, I should be amazed by the diplomacy that initially came out of that duplicitous heart. That must have been quite a stretch, failing only in the last breath.

So what the hell did he want to talk about anyway - his frustration at not finding satisfactory scriptural reference for a 10,000 year Golden Age of Sankirtana? Does it really matter to him that he find it? Will he then take life seriously - or does he expect us to spend our time cruising the Vedas to amuse his intellectual jollies? I'm okay with what Prabhupada wrote. If he has a problem then .... golly gee, gosh darn, that's so unfortunate, but the caravan rolls on.

I lub u, Praboo-dude!!

Golly, he may be learned real good, but a simple deconstruction of the motivation for an article which maybe he didn't pen transformed him instantaneously into Linda Blair before our astonished eyes. I would have guessed that either reading comprehension skills or simple logic skills were missing to generate such an unexpected violent response, not to be expected from a larned-good man. I'm still amazed at the venom that came out of that sweet-soundly diplomatic mouth. But I guess in perspective, I should be amazed by the diplomacy that initially came out of that duplicitous heart. That must have been quite a stretch, failing only in the last breath.

So what the hell did he want to talk about anyway - his frustration at not finding satisfactory scriptural reference for a 10,000 year Golden Age of Sankirtana? Does it really matter to him that he find it? Will he then take life seriously - or does he expect us to spend our time cruising the Vedas to amuse his intellectual jollies? I'm okay with what Prabhupada wrote. If he has a problem then .... golly gee, gosh darn, that's so unfortunate, but the caravan rolls on.

Will he then take life seriously

I certainly do take life very seriously, SIR, maybe just not in the same way that you do. Do you mean to say that only those who are in the same boat as you are, i.e. a teeny, tiny percentage of humanity, have fulfilled existences? If that is what is to be read and comprehended in between your lines, then you tell me who is the more conceited of us two? But hey no, you will never admit to this, since you have the chutzpah to believe that you're fit to be an instructor to the wider world. Through observation of their behaviour with the public, I had always considered Hare Krishnas to be cabal of opportunistic, money-minded, grabbing, acquisitive, self-seeking hypocrites - occasionally though, I used to call that into question and sometimes even feel guilty about it. I do have to express my heartfelt thanks to you and your few buddies who rushed to your defence for reinforcing my conviction of what I basically thought of your club.

I certainly do take life very seriously, SIR, maybe just not in the same way that you do. Do you mean to say that only those who are in the same boat as you are, i.e. a teeny, tiny percentage of humanity, have fulfilled existences? If that is what is to be read and comprehended in between your lines, then you tell me who is the more conceited of us two? But hey no, you will never admit to this, since you have the chutzpah to believe that you're fit to be an instructor to the wider world. Through observation of their behaviour with the public, I had always considered Hare Krishnas to be cabal of opportunistic, money-minded, grabbing, acquisitive, self-seeking hypocrites - occasionally though, I used to call that into question and sometimes even feel guilty about it. I do have to express my heartfelt thanks to you and your few buddies who rushed to your defence for reinforcing my conviction of what I basically thought of your club.

Vikram's egotistical and disgusting diatribe.

Vikram's egotistical and disgusting diatribe.

The truth always hurts, doesn't it, Beggar Maharaj? If I am so lowly, then whatever I come up with should be of little, or no consequence. Why then all this frenzy regarding my posts? Personally, anything that anyone could throw at me here would be just like water on a duck's back. Like Guruvaniji, I have a thick skin.

Moreover, unlike too many, I carry about no pretensions to piety, humility, purity etc. I am fully human, with many plus points and an even greater number of minus points. I don't believe in denying myself the good things in life, quite rightly so. And when the time comes for me to breathe my last, I shall do so jovially indeed, irrespective of whether that moment arrives on the morrow itself. Tough, but I won't sacrifice my present, which I can live, feel and relish in flesh and blood for an unknown, dubious and questionable hereafter. It simply runs counter to my intuition to adopt such a course of action.

Aw, you promised not to respond to my posts. Can I not trust you?

BTW, your buckshot hasn't come anywhere near me yet. You see, I'm a bit of an enigma - definitely not your stereotypical religious whacko. Oh, and you might like to know: your power-tripping really doesn't make you look superior. If you impress yourself with those material qualifications, then you establish yourself as inferior in every way, even materially. Just a little FYI.

Aw, you promised not to respond to my posts. Can I not trust you?

BTW, your buckshot hasn't come anywhere near me yet. You see, I'm a bit of an enigma - definitely not your stereotypical religious whacko. Oh, and you might like to know: your power-tripping really doesn't make you look superior. If you impress yourself with those material qualifications, then you establish yourself as inferior in every way. Just a little FYI.

Sorry for not keeping my word, but I just had to clear your misconception about my not taking life seriously. After all, you don't know me well enough to put forward such an opinion. I would never dare venture to write something like that about someone I've exchanged five internet messages with. I'm a lot more careful than that. Maybe being an accountant, I have an instinctive tendency to be prudent.

Just so you know, I am not here to impress myself or anyone else. I also have no need to feel superior or for that matter inferior to anybody. I am what I am, whether good or bad. Being an agnostic, everyday is a new learning occasion for me. I rarely commit myself to taking positions on most issues because we thrive and fare in an environment that is mostly grey, seldom black or white.

Okay, Sir, you have the last word, if that matters to you. Now I truly won't respond anymore. Please :smash: me on the head if I do. All the best in your endeavours.

I don't believe in denying myself the good things in life, quite rightly so.

Unfortunately, it is the so-called "good things in life" that often lead to needing a liver transplant or quadruple-bypass heart surgery.

Keep on fooling yourself, if you like. It's a pity you picked up so many bad habits in London. I hear Mauritius is a wonderful place filled with pious people.